ADVERTISEMENT

NIL money and a few schools

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
Ole Miss, Oregon and Missouri are throwing money around like water. Rhule talked about how some restrictions need to be put in place. It's getting out of hand. Cap, something. Put in a trust until they put in some time at a school. It's like the wild west of recruiting right now. No limits. No rules.

Last edited:
Ole Miss, Oregon and Missouri are throwing money around like water. Rhule talked about how some restrictions need to be put in place. It's getting out of hand. Cap, something.

seems like a waste of money, but to each their own.

i bought a PS5 a couple of years ago. basically the same thing, except i get more return out of my PS5.

Exactly. These HS kids haven't accomplished shit at the college level yet. Make them earn it.
I think people are just moving up the timeline. Players entering college are now getting paid based on their perceived potential just like 1st round draft choices are being paid for potential.
Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf signed huge contracts before ever completing an NFL pass

Reactions: dinglefritz
Besides being ridiculous is it sustainable? I'm still for kids getting paid, but man some of this just feels insane.
The only good so far is that it's leveled the playing field between Bama and the $EC schools that already were paying millions to the players. Now the rest of the country is doing the same.

It’s all a good thing. Let the free market determine who is worth what. A lot more parity in college football this year which has been fun to watch. Plus young people tend to spend their money unlike old people who have too much of it.
The youngsters will find out real quick about taxes. And how bad the federal government fvcks you and misspends your money. Welcome to the real world!! It sucks!! :mad:

Ole Miss, Oregon and Missouri are throwing money around like water. Rhule talked about how some restrictions need to be put in place. It's getting out of hand. Cap, something. Put in a trust until they put in some time at a school. It's like the wild west of recruiting right now. No limits. No rules.
Ole Miss is building themselves an elite team out of the portal. This is the exact strategy I said we should follow, but instead we're blowing all of our NIL cash on the bottom half of the roster. I'm sure the results will speak for themselves next season.

I believe some schools provide financial advisor services to the players now to help them deal with those financial packages. Nebraska is one such school doing so I believe.
Probably smart and necessary. The tax thing is an important point too. Some of these guys hardly know how to talk, let alone knowing the basic responsibilities behind managing just being thrown a million dollars.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I believe some schools provide financial advisor services to the players now to help them deal with those financial packages. Nebraska is one such school doing so I believe.
Very smart. How many NFL and NBA dummies go broke 5 to 10 years after signing huge contracts? Always some idiot who doesn't pay his taxes, goes into business with his buddies, appoints his uncle as his financial manager. The NFL sits these kids down every class and yet they still blow millions. Unbelievable.

Not only does Nebraska supply financial advisors they hold money back to pay for the taxes and some of the money automaticly goes into a retirement account in the form of long term investments such as rental properties. Nebraska is helping the players think long term.

Not only does Nebraska supply financial advisors they hold money back to pay for the taxes and some of the money automaticly goes into a retirement account in the form of long term investments such as rental properties. Nebraska is helping the players think long term.
Very, very wise that Nebraska does this. Help them invest their money. Think long term. Not a Rolex, Lambo and a purse they will end up pawning in 5 years after the gravy train runs out. Think smart kids. Buy gold and silver from Rosalyn Capital and William Devane. Winking Great hedge against this insane inflation.

• Love
Reactions: BleedRed78
In Love Hearts GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Very, very wise that Nebraska does this. Help them invest their money. Think long term. Not a Rolex, Lambo and a purse they will end up pawning in 5 years after the gravy train runs out. Think smart kids. Buy gold and silver from Rosalyn Capital and William Devane. Winking Great hedge against this insane inflation.

So dumb. Get yourself a Toyota Camry and put that money to work. Let your play do the talking, not your fancy ride.

Very smart. How many NFL and NBA dummies go broke 5 to 10 years after signing huge contracts? Always some idiot who doesn't pay his taxes, goes into business with his buddies, appoints his uncle as his financial manager. The NFL sits these kids down every class and yet they still blow millions. Unbelievable.
I expect NU to be a leader in managing money and investing. We already do so well in the academic and life skills that we should be a natural leader.

So dumb. Get yourself a Toyota Camry and put that money to work. Let your play do the talking, not your fancy ride.
That video literally makes me laugh out loud every time I watch. And I have watched it at least 5 times today. Seems like a Will Ferrel movie it's so over the top.

It’s all a good thing. Let the free market determine who is worth what. A lot more parity in college football this year which has been fun to watch. Plus young people tend to spend their money unlike old people who have too much of it.
More parity? When was the last time there were 4 undefeated teams in a season?

I think it will evolve into revenue sharing between athletic departments and players

5% of 100 million is 5 million yearly to the athletes
That will just be a mini bonus for them because NIL will never go away. I don't like it, but SCOTUS ruled correct af on the issue.

There undoubtedly will be a story of a kid spending all of his money on clothes, cars, jewelry, and "friends" and then having no money to pay the $300K tax bill, because there was no real NIL support system in place.

• Haha
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
There undoubtedly will be a story of a kid spending all of his money on clothes, cars, jewelry, and "friends" and then having no money to pay the $300K tax bill, because there was no real NIL support system in place.
There’s gonna be some repercussions. With that kind of dough, you can afford to pay someone to do all your schoolwork for you. I imagine that much cash would be a big distraction to anything else. Don’t lose sight of what got you there.

So do the NBA teams but that doesn't stop people from losing everything, IIRC those advisors are linked to the NIL 1890 initiative not the University at least that's what I read. If you have some source that says otherwise please share.
You are right, I should of said 1890 not Nebraska as that is what I meant. Saying that though, 1890 does what the Athletic department wants or would like to see happen.

Hah yeah I’m sure 18 year drubendall would buy a Camry .. I always find it funny how some people like to spend other people’s money

Their brains aren't fully formed yet, and they have more $$$ than most people will earn in their lifetimes. What could go wrong.

It's like if Paris Hilton could play linebacker.
You don’t think most people will earn $1-$2M (on the high end) over their lifetimes?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Kong thinks most people are millionaires 🤣🤣

Although he may just mean total earned over a lifetime vs saved so he’s probably pretty spot on
He’s saying that people will “earn” that amount over their lifetime. Average wage in US is about $60,000. Work for 45 years - that person earned $2.7 M over their life time. Net worth and retirement accounts, etc are a whole different story.

Kong thinks most people are millionaires 🤣🤣

Although he may just mean total earned over a lifetime vs saved so he’s probably pretty spot on
I would add that over a lifetime it’s not a stretch to think the vast majority of the population could be millionaires (net worth) if they make reasonably good decisions with their money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT