ADVERTISEMENT

NIL, Let’s be transparent here

jteten

Offensive Coordinator
Aug 6, 2006
If you are 18-20 years old and unlikely to sniff the NFL draft, wouldnt you try and score 100k+ in the transfer portal if your own squad can’t or won’t pay you. Loyalty is no longer a part of the equation if there is an opportunity to make a big chunk of money once, twice or even 3 times for some kids. Not saying I like it, but I get it. It really sucks to be honest…but again, at least understand why it’s rampant.

Edit: Even 50-75k is a large number at that age.

So do you think Nebraska, or should I say the 1890 Collective, could pay some of these kid in bitcoin, crypto or FTX Stock?

The average NFL career is three years. An athlete would be stupid not to maximize NIL income in college, because the NFL is not going to last them forever unless they are an elite player who can get a top-tier contract.

Reactions: jteten
Jesus Christ. Just accepting this as fact is insane. You people are F'ing insane.
Look around ya. It’s the new norm, and it’s also human nature. How many Gen Z kids do you know who even realize how the rest of the world lives? And you expect LOYALTY from ANY of them?

Until the NCAA regulates this, until they cap transfers, penalize them in some way (lose a year seems logical to me), it’s gonna be a free-for-all where the wealthy teams wins, 95% of the time. If you’re expecting virtue from GenZ kids you’re gonna be disappointed.

you are 18-20 years old and unlikely to sniff the NFL draft, wouldnt you try and score 100k+ in the transfer portal if your own squad can’t or won’t pay you
If you are the type of player with no chance of being drafted and you currently have zero NIL income, the transfer portal is a huge risk.

Your description is the profile of a player without high end (six figure) value. The risk is electing to enter the portal and receiving interest from lower division teams for low NIL offers or stuck there with little/no interest as you compete with dozens of other portal players at your position.

It’s a big risk. About 43% of the 1400+ players who entered the transfer portal last year did not land at a new school.

Last edited:
I heard someone talking about a mid-20's relative today, who is quitting his job to go on a 6-month road trip. The quote that hit me was, "He's been slaving away for this soulless company for 2 1/2 years and he can't do it anymore." LOL kids these days, amiright? I think I've had rashes that lasted longer than his career.

There's a bifurcation in value I think. There's a few guys who are worth $500,000+ and teams will be glad to pay that much for that type of player, but then there's the vast majority worth <$50,000 and there's not much in between those two groups.

Look around ya. It’s the new norm, and it’s also human nature. How many Gen Z kids do you know who even realize how the rest of the world lives? And you expect LOYALTY from ANY of them?

Until the NCAA regulates this, until they cap transfers, penalize them in some way (lose a year seems logical to me), it’s gonna be a free-for-all where the wealthy teams wins, 95% of the time. If you’re expecting virtue from GenZ kids you’re gonna be disappointed.
Capitalism. Greed is a virtue.

Reactions: dsmalls3
I heard someone talking about a mid-20's relative today, who is quitting his job to go on a 6-month road trip. The quote that hit me was, "He's been slaving away for this soulless company for 2 1/2 years and he can't do it anymore." LOL kids these days, amiright? I think I've had rashes that lasted longer than his career.
Appears they're going to be pretty well adapted to the new realities.

Capitalism. Greed is a virtue.
It absolutely doesn't matter what system people live in. People with money and power keep it, get more and we're left with what? The illusion of choice?

I appreciate your calm replies in the face of my vitriol.

Reactions: 90sman
If you are 18-20 years old and unlikely to sniff the NFL draft, wouldnt you try and score 100k+ in the transfer portal if your own squad can’t or won’t pay you. Loyalty is no longer a part of the equation if there is an opportunity to make a big chunk of money once, twice or even 3 times for some kids. Not saying I like it, but I get it. It really sucks to be honest…but again, at least understand why it’s rampant.

50-100k is substantial for many people regardless of age.

There's a bifurcation in value I think. There's a few guys who are worth $500,000+ and teams will be glad to pay that much for that type of player, but then there's the vast majority worth <$50,000 and there's not much in between those two groups.
There’s a lot in between those two groups. Not 100% correlation, but generally speaking, as RIDICULOUS as it sounds, just STATISTICALLY SPEAKING….

The more ya pay em, the better athlete they’re gonna be.

This is not saying Money Buys Talent… but those who’ve for whatever reason or not gained high Market Value, and Talent now is eligible for Payment.

It's kinda like Gravity…

To be honest, most of these guys are majoring in the same worthless degree. Child development or something. Most should get a real degree that will pay them something after graduation. It will dwarf the extra NIL money that most will get. Whatever most of them can squeeze out in additional NIL money probably isn't worth the risk of not getting picked up or having to switch schools and maybe not graduating as quickly. What do I know though.

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
Part 1: The portal and blind greed is the downfall of this sport. It isn’t just the athletes. Network execs, college administrators, coaches and fat phuk boosters are killing it.

Part 2: if these college athletes wanna get paid and demand it, they can get dumped just as easy for not performing. Hello Mr Sims!!!

Reactions: baseball31ne
To be honest, most of these guys are majoring in the same worthless degree. Child development or something. Most should get a real degree that will pay them something after graduation. It will dwarf the extra NIL money that most will get. Whatever most of them can squeeze out in additional NIL money probably isn't worth the risk of not getting picked up or having to switch schools and maybe not graduating as quickly. What do I know though.
Exactly. The vast majority of athletes won’t go pro. Those are also the ones with lower NIL potential. They should be mentored into staying on scholarship and getting a degree that will land them in a good job. I’m no financial expert, but I’m sure it’d benefit most athletes to graduate in 4 years, get out in the workforce and start earning. Doing that earlier on the front end of life has to pay a much larger long-term return than a $50-75k pre-tax payday that requires an athlete to move and possibly delay education.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Can't wait to see the first 19 year old that will be indicted on tax evasion charges...just a matter of time.

Sure, but you have to be able to do the coursework, AND, more importantly, be able to do the actual job when you graduate. Most of these guys are in the middle of the bell curve at best when it comes to skills outside of athletics. I would guess most of the players smart enough to understand what you're proposing are already doing it.

I have no issue with it. A lot of these QBs are system guys that can lead teams in college to a lot of wins but don't have the arm for the NFL. So they have 1 or 2 years to make some nice earnings that will give them a head start on the rest of life. They make incredible bucks for their universities and entertain you and I.

60 yr old coaches will leave to go from 1 million to 1.2 million, after decades of great money and constantly moving their family.

Yes, not surprising that 19 year olds are doing it for the first real money of their life and only having to pack a suitcase
More money, more playing time, new school new chances. Heck yeah, they should take that chance.

Most people say we were a QB away from having at least a bowl game. How much do these bowl games pay? Seems like an economic win for the university to pay for a QB

Reactions: jteten
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT