ADVERTISEMENT

Next Head Coach

He went to Nick Saban's rehab and has been successful at Ole Miss.
My daughter has ties at FAU and she said that he lived in the top floor of Boca Resort and Club for the year that he was coach there- and who knows what went on there. He was a 'trip" but generally well liked by others around him. Your typical alpha male - wish i could have spent a year at the Boca Resort, rich, single and ....

He is winning now...
I'm just highly skeptical of coaches who couldn't win at places with near-unlimited talent and resources. The "glamour" schools, so to speak.

So, guys like Luke Fickell, Lane Kiffen, Tom Herman, Dan Mullen, Clay Helton...each of those guys had a chance to lead blue bloods or big time P5 schools and failed.

Fickell was an interim coach at Ohio State, but they didn't give him the job permanently. The other coaches were at USC, Texas and Florida.

If you can't win at USC, Texas and Florida, three flagship institutions located in the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, then I highly doubt you can win at Nebraska, which is much more challenging when it comes to recruiting and developing talent.

Every situation is different, and I know there are some serious politics and other external factors as to why winning can be difficult at the "glamour" schools, but as we're seeing with the Trojans, all they need is a good coach to immediately be back in the top 10. And Texas almost beat Alabama. I watched that game, and they actually should have won it.

Coach Klieman is tied at the hip to K-State athletic director Gene Taylor who was his boss at NDSU and brought him to Manhattan. Money won't be a problem either way. I'd be shocked if he left State for N.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Coach Klieman is tied at the hip to K-State athletic director Gene Taylor who was his boss at NDSU and brought him to Manhattan. Money won't be a problem either way. I'd be shocked if he left State for N.

I did not know that. Interesting.

Reactions: scarletred
What he really means is I will be calling my agent later to find out the $$ and see if I can squeeze the Wolf pack for more cash!
He wouldn’t say that he’s interested even if he called Alberts about the job immediately after Alberts released the statement of the firing yesterday.

Reactions: headcard
Maybe he won’t want to coach in a little league conference.

"You go back, Jack, do it again; wheel turning round, and round..."

547bae50ede5b.image.jpg

Depends if he wants to take it up a notch. He's won at the highest levels a division down. Is he satisfied with seven or eight wins a year the rest of his life at KState?

If he is primed to move, it's time.

I chuckle every time I read that we can blame Osborne for not allowing the AD to do a real search for a big name coach in 1997. I laugh because it is all hindsight thinking. IN 1997 NU was in the midst of the greatest run in the history of college football. Our program was hitting on all cylinders and a great deal of our success had to do with the unique genius of Osborne's unique offense. Nebraska WAS Osborne's offense. Yes, yes, we had a great defense. But that is because we had great athletes and McBride dialed up a blitzing attack defense on the shoulders of a great d-line and corners who could cover in man to man. Therefore, the real uniqueness of Nebraska was that offense. It was our identity and our brand.

So when he knew he was going to retire Osborne wanted to keep the train going just as it had been. And why wouldn't he? It just made sense. And the best way to do that was to hire Solich since he knew the unique offense we were running inside and out. Osborne knew that if you brought in a brand new head coach from outside you were going to get an all new staff most likely and a change of offensive identity. You know... kind of like we got later with Callahan. And Osborne rightly thought that it would be insane to dismantle the single most successful program of the modern era.

Solich turned out to be a not so great recruiter and he got little help from his veteran staff either in that regard. So there was a drop off. But I will contend to my dying day that the biggest tragedy in the history of NU football was firing Solich and replacing him with Callahan. Because in doing that you did more than fire Solich. You fired a tradition of success which was tied to a unique offense that began to take shape in 1978 and which had only gotten better and better over the years. Yes, Solich changed and modified that offense a bit. But it was still the same basic offense.

And notice this as well for all of you who want to blame Osborne for this mess: Since 1997 Osborne was the one who hired our two most successful coaches who never had a losing season and averaged nine wins a year.

Too bad Frosty boy's ego caused him to ignore that legacy and that offense in favor of his Pac 12 basketball on grass notion of offense. How could he possibly have ignored the fact that power, power, power is what made NU great and is what the B1G does well. But Frost wanted to be known as his own offensive genius and he wasn't going to just emulate the Osborne template.

And now he is most likely going to get fired. And our program is a shambles. And people are on here dreaming about spending 100 million to get a coach here who is so lacking in integrity and is a proven liar and a total megalomaniac that he flopped with NFL players he could not bully and intimidate. Imagine what his buyout clause would be and how much it would bankrupt us when it came time to fire him in three years.

Solich's offense was significantly worse than TO's. It turned into just running the QB over and over again, even with an NFL RB on the roster.

Solich's offense was significantly worse than TO's. It turned into just running the QB over and over again, even with an NFL RB on the roster.
We still had a strong offensive line back then, so running the QB over and over worked. Most likely any kind of a running based offense would have worked due to our strength up front.

You read the tweet from Frost about the play calling had to be more creative. He wasn’t necessarily fired then but Basically I think a Trev knew it was only a matter of time , He had words wit Trev about forcing him to give up the play calling , but Trev was willing to wait after Indiana and the payout dropped,, but after the loss on Saturday night and Frost went after Trev again a bout putting to much pressure on the program this happened in the Locker room in front of the players . Trev got on the phone with the people he needed to end this thing now. The irony of Carol a award from the same guy that would fire her Son 12 hours later.
Now this is a juicy rumor

We still had a strong offensive line back then, so running the QB over and over worked. Most likely any kind of a running based offense would have worked due to our strength up front.

The OL actually was quite a bit worse in the late 90s/early 00s vs the title years. We put up some real clunkers on offense against some pretty mediocre teams.

I would imagine Meyers phone has been busy and I'm sure Meyer knows of a few who are really interested in the Nebraska job including himself. Don't kid yourself, Alberts knows he can't afford another HC flop at Nebraska and even though Meyer's has a lot of baggage he would turn the program around in a short amount of time and Alberts knows this. Nebraska football and athletics are bigger than any one person, sometimes you just have to swallow hard let it rip and hit for the fences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT