ADVERTISEMENT

Next Alabama Coach

seems they would have hired a nick disciple if that was their plan.
They hired the hottest name they could get right now. Saban has had a turnstile of coordinators and I suspect their AD had him in the loop with who he thought could handle the job. I really believe DeBoer has to embrace Saban and use him as much as he can. Saban would be a powerful ally against any booster rebellion.

Took Alabama two days to land a coach with a record of 104-12 while going 25-4 at Washington. Yea, Bama is just another job......
Just my opinion but 25-4 in the Pac 12 is like 19-10 in the SEC. Maybe it is because I would love to see Bama do a Oklahoma or Nebraska after their coaches left/retired but I don't see his record at Bama being close to Saban's.

They hired the hottest name they could get right now. Saban has had a turnstile of coordinators and I suspect their AD had him in the loop with who he thought could handle the job. I really believe DeBoer has to embrace Saban and use him as much as he can. Saban would be a powerful ally against any booster rebellion.
embracing the legacy is different than using the man. not sure how the hof ohio coach did following tom osborne, but klieman embraced snyder's legacy but had nothing for him in the room.

Just my opinion but 25-4 in the Pac 12 is like 19-10 in the SEC. Maybe it is because I would love to see Bama do a Oklahoma or Nebraska after their coaches left/retired but I don't see his record at Bama being close to Saban's.

You mean he won't win 6 titles? You sure are going out on a limb....🤣

Exactly my thought. I don't want to get into politics (or get my account flagged or whatever) but going from Washington state to Alabama? Uh...yeah. I'll leave it at that.

As for the actual games, I hope Kalen has learned from his natty experience and puts an emphasis on recruiting linemen. Otherwise his teams will be manhandled in the SEC the way he was against Michigan.
He's from South Dakota. I think he'll be fine. It's not like he chose his coaching jobs based on politics. This might be shocking to some people on this board, but there are a lot of people who don't let politics control their lives.

• Love
Reactions: Landomatic
He's from South Dakota. I think he'll be fine. It's not like he chose his coaching jobs based on politics. This might be shocking to some people on this board, but there are a lot of people who don't let politics control their lives.

Seriously, Alabama and South Dakota are more alike than South Dakota and Seattle.....🤣

My statement about Alabama have nothing to do about politics. The culture in the deep south is very different. And it has nothing to do about intelligence - there are as many smart people in the deep south as the rest of the country. And it has nothing to do with accent either. It's very different and hard to explain.

There's also the difference from going from virtual oblivion in Seattle to all eyes on you at Tuscaloosa. DeBoer has huge shoes to fill (as others have pointed out) and everyone will be watching.

So the question is will DeBoer be a Yankee or a damn Yankee?? (Any northerner who has lived in the south will know what this means.)

My statement about Alabama have nothing to do about politics. The culture in the deep south is very different. And it has nothing to do about intelligence - there are as many smart people in the deep south as the rest of the country. And it has nothing to do with accent either. It's very different and hard to explain.

There's also the difference from going from virtual oblivion in Seattle to all eyes on you at Tuscaloosa. DeBoer has huge shoes to fill (as others have pointed out) and everyone will be watching.

So the question is will DeBoer be a Yankee or a damn Yankee?? (Any northerner who has lived in the south will know what this means.)

He is from South Dakota....🤣🤣

He is from South Dakota....🤣🤣
There’s some things about South Dakota that aren’t much different than Alabama. The boosters and expectations will be his biggest pain in the ass. 10 million/year will ease the pain.

You have no clue
You honestly believe the guy that follows Nick Saban.he comes and and goes 10-2 a few years doesn’t make or win a SEC championship game will not feel heat like he has never felt before. I believe you are the one that has no clue.

You honestly believe the guy that follows Nick Saban.he comes and and goes 10-2 a few years doesn’t make or win a SEC championship game will not feel heat like he has never felt before. I believe you are the one that has no clue.

I've been around Alabama fans all my life noob. My mother is from there and I have a ton of family there. I think I know a little about the fan base. How about you?

Reactions: dinglefritz
I've been around Alabama fans all my life noob. My mother is from there and I have a ton of family there. I think I know a little about the fan base. How about you?
No family, but o got a couple college buddies that are Bama boosters. I have been ti a few games with them including the Auburn FG return game. I know exactly what their mindset is on losing.

I remember when a school hired the hottest coach on the market, fresh of an undefeated season and bowl win over top 10 Auburn. We’ll see if Deboer can move up a weight class. SEC has chewed up and spit out many a hot up-and-comers…

No family, but o got a couple college buddies that are Bama boosters. I have been ti a few games with them including the Auburn FG return game. I know exactly what their mindset is on losin

Nah, you don't know shit. The fact you stated they'd call for his head next year if they go 10-2 proves it.

I edited my previous post to include this but KDB inherited a Washington team that went 4-8 in 2021. His first year they went 11-2 and that was without Penix.

But I mean, like you said it literally doesn't matter now. It especially won't matter if Rhule starts winning at a high level again. I really hope he does.
He inherited a program that had 1 losing season since Chris Peterson took over and went to 3 straight New Year’s Six bowls and played in the CFP. They made a mistake in hiring Jimmy Lake and literally fired the guy midway through the 4-8 season, because the dude was a mess on and off the field. Their record was 4-5 at the time and they had 3 games they would have been favored to win.

All that just to say that not all 4-8 records are the same and the program was not devoid of talent just a worthwhile head coach.

No it doesn't. He will get some time to succeed or fail. He's not going anywhere for a couple years.
Sure it does. To think otherwise is naive. Some games mean more than others. Hell if they lose at Wisconsin in the 3rd game of the season, the natives will get restless and will be saying thing like we made a mistake etc.

Also - fans calling for his head is different than actually getting fired.

Glad this got posted. The silly things people have said about Saban since retirement have been epic. Hate him? Sure. But don't lie about his accomplishments. And let's be honest, anyone who wins at his level is not loved. Envy is the most destructive of the 7 deadly sins.
He wins with an absolutely overwhelming talent advantage. Plus favorable conference officiating to ensure they make the Playoff.

If he's SO great...he should prove it at a school like Minnesota where he can't buy players.

The worship of guys like Saban, Belichick, Phil Jackson, Bill Walsh...never made sense to me. They never repeated their feats without Brady, Jordan, Shaq & Kobe...Montana, Young, & Rice.

Last edited:
He wins with an absolutely overwhelming talent advantage. Plus favorable conference officiating to ensure they make the Playoff.

If he's SO great...he should prove it at a school like Minnesota where he can't buy players.

The worship of guys like Saban, Belichick, Phil Jackson, Bill Walsh...never made sense to me. They never repeated their feats without Brady, Jordan, Shaq & Kobe...Montana, Young, & Rice.
I kind of get what you are saying but the coaches immediately before Saban couldn't get it done. Same with the Bulls. I'm leery of Belichick after seeing what he did post Brady and what Brady did without Belichick.

Does Queen know that the SEC isn't a tough conference?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT