ADVERTISEMENT

Next Alabama Coach

Listening to KJR live - "you can write your own narrative" re: UDub coach.

(Yeah, I really do listen to this station for Sounder's games.)

Except for the successful stint he had at Penn State and the unsuccessful one he had as the Texans head coach...he's an NFL guy?
Whether it’s a HC or a coordinator job he perfers the NFL. How many College jobs including Bama have you heard him as a candidate? That’s because Athletic directors know his preference.

Okay, so it is not Lanning, Kiffin, Sark, or Dabo. And anyone who would put James Franklin on that list is an idiot. The dude cannot beat the big boys. So who? There are some recently fired NFL coaches, like Belichek and Pete Carrol, but they are both too old. This is going to get interesting. Perhaps Norvell could be the choice. Then the rumor of Prime to FSU might happen.
Nick couldn't either at Michigan st

Saban claims that he didn't even know which way he was going to go on it 5 minutes before he told the team on Wednesday. How was Alabama supposed to have a plan for that? It's barely Friday 😂
True...but AD's LOVE always lie and tell the fans that they have this secret list of their top 5 guys that they will get in case of an emergency.

This is comical because they either
1. Had a plan in place and it has fallen apart
2. Had no plan in place

Either way, it is classic stuff.

This is what I’ve been wondering? Did Saban blindside the Alabama AD and they had no plan of succession? I wouldn’t think Saban would do that to a place that has his statue outside of the stadium. Or… Did they have a plan and it totally fell apart on them? Seems like it has to be one of those 2 situations… 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: headcard
Honestly I don’t think he is the best recruiter. I think they live in a fertile recruiting ground. But the biggest thing they did is elevate the bag man to epic levels.

I believe NIL is hurting Bama more than any other school. I believe Saban knows it and is content with his legacy being cemented with him leaving now.
^^^^^

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
This is what I’ve been wondering? Did Saban blindside the Alabama AD and they had no plan of succession? I wouldn’t think Saban would do that to a place that has his statue outside of the stadium. Or… Did they have a plan and it totally fell apart on them? Seems like it has to be one of those 2 situations… 🤷‍♂️
It SOUNDS like he blindsided them, which probably shows what a cock he is and it also seems like their AD thought he could get anyone he wanted.

But with 12 teams making the playoffs (soon to be 16), The Bama Job is just another top tier job in a big conference. It is no different than any other top tier job.

Reactions: V-Doub
It SOUNDS like he blindsided them, which probably shows what a cock he is and it also seems like their AD thought he could get anyone he wanted.

But with 12 teams making the playoffs (soon to be 16), The Bama Job is just another top tier job in a big conference. It is no different than any other top tier job.

Saban literally might be the type of guy who hopes they struggle without him…

Reactions: BTF69

what a weird take. when you win 6 National Championships, you've earned the right to call it quits whenever you want.

what a weird take. when you win 6 National Championships, you've earned the right to call it quits whenever you want.
You earned the right to be a cock?
Why?

Why not give your boss (yes, he has a boss) some heads up?

Now, if he hated his boss, then I am 100% fine with him being a cock, that is the dream, basically telling your boss to F-off and leaving.

Saban literally might be the type of guy who hopes they struggle without him…
I think so, I think there is a part of that in all of us.

I coached at the same place for like 12 years and then left, and would keep tabs on that team a bit and sort of liked when they did a little worse than when I was there. Which makes me a D-bag, I know, but sitll.

Saban can do whatever he wants, of course. But if you’re thinking, during the season, that this might be your last. A decent person who actually cares about the institution who gave him the opportunity would/should give the AD some advanced notice. But if you don’t give a shit or actually hope they fail I guess you can do it this way too. (if that’s what happened) Like you said, he’s earned the right to be an asshole if that’s what he wants to do…

Reactions: Huskers123456
Saban can do whatever he wants, of course. But if you’re thinking, during the season, that this might be your last. A decent person who actually cares about the institution who gave him the opportunity would/should give the AD some advanced notice. But if you don’t give a shit or actually hope they fail I guess you can do this way too. Like you said, he’s earned the right to be an asshole if that’s what he wants to do…
See, I totally agree with this.

Even if he really "decided 5 minutes ago" like he lied about to his team...he was clearly thinking about it for, well, the entire season.

Assuming he hates his boss and Bama, I am fine with it.

If he claims to love Bama and his boss, he is a liar and a cock for doing it that way.

Either way, it is funny!

I disagree with the Saban remark. Probably agree with the AD take. I totally agree with your playoff take : the top 4-5 teams in the Big and SEC will make to playoffs going forward so places like Bama and and even Georgia when Smart moves will just be another top tier job.

Saban can do whatever he wants, of course. But if you’re thinking, during the season, that this might be your last. A decent person who actually cares about the institution who gave him the opportunity would/should give the AD some advanced notice. But if you don’t give a shit or actually hope they fail I guess you can do it this way too. (if that’s what happened) Like you said, he’s earned the right to be an asshole if that’s what he wants to do…
Makes zero sense considering an institution can fire a guy whenever….

You earned the right to be a cock?
Why?

Why not give your boss (yes, he has a boss) some heads up?

Now, if he hated his boss, then I am 100% fine with him being a cock, that is the dream, basically telling your boss to F-off and leaving.
it's really odd to be butthurt over a 72 year old deciding he doesn't want to work 100 hour weeks anymore after being the most accomplished to ever do it at his job.

everyone with a brain knows Saban was the boss at Alabama. you think if Saban goes to the University President and says "fire Byrne or I'm out" that they'd even hesitate?

what's the right way to retire, in your mind? announce to the world that you'll be quitting soon when your team is in the running for a national championship? coaches retire at the end of the season all the time, you're acting as if it's August and he decided to just walk out.

it's really odd to be butthurt over a 72 year old deciding he doesn't want to work 100 hour weeks anymore after being the most accomplished to ever do it at his job.

everyone with a brain knows Saban was the boss at Alabama. you think if Saban goes to the University President and says "fire Byrne or I'm out" that they'd even hesitate?

what's the right way to retire, in your mind? announce to the world that you'll be quitting soon when your team is in the running for a national championship? coaches retire at the end of the season all the time, you're acting as if it's August and he decided to just walk out.
I am not butthurt, I am loving it!

First of all, we all need to stop the "they work 100 hours a week" garbage. Only female elementary teachers have created a bigger lie than CFB coaches when it comes to how much they "work"

You can only practice like 20 hours a week, you really think they are "working" another 80+ hours. Come on, we don't need to glorify them that much. They hang out at their offices because it is fun and everything is free there and they can get away from their family.

In my mind, the "right way" IF he loved Bama and liked his boss: "Hey Boss, so, I am not 100% sure yet BUT I am leaning towards retiring here at the end of the season, just wanted to give you a heads up and if you want my input or my help at all, let me know"

If he hates Bama and his boss: "Dude, guess what, I just decided to retire, right now, good luck finding a guy to replace you loser"

This exactly. You can make the playoffs as coach of any number of schools. With less pressure. No need to deal with Bama or follow a legend that you can't be.

I am not butthurt, I am loving it!

First of all, we all need to stop the "they work 100 hours a week" garbage. Only female elementary teachers have created a bigger lie than CFB coaches when it comes to how much they "work"

You can only practice like 20 hours a week, you really think they are "working" another 80+ hours. Come on, we don't need to glorify them that much. They hang out at their offices because it is fun and everything is free there and they can get away from their family.
the problem is you're projecting your own work ethic and attitude onto what it'd be like

the second problem is you have no idea what conversations took place between Saban and the AD. Saban openly said "i'm getting too old for this" before the SEC Championship game with a full camera crew around him.

In my mind, the "right way" IF he loved Bama and liked his boss: "Hey Boss, so, I am not 100% sure yet BUT I am leaning towards retiring here at the end of the season, just wanted to give you a heads up and if you want my input or my help at all, let me know"
lmao what? have you ever had a job before?

so in your mind, he should've given his AD some lukewarm "hey i might quit, might not" response so that the AD could then tell potential cadidates "hey we might have a position for you, but might not also"

LOL at "IF he loved Bama". you are too Nebraska Nice for your own good.

Reactions: RBigredMax
Got me thinking - how many other college football coaches have done what Tom Osborne did and named the next coach? I can’t think of any, but curious if some others have done the same thing over the years.

That would’ve been an interesting play for Saban. My guess is the Bama administration would smile and say, “thank you for your input, but will take it from here“. That’s what the Nebraska administration should have done in 97.

A good ad is constantly doing the what if and has his desired lists. Just because they do this doesn't mean that list wants anything to do with them.

Would you want to follow Saban? Constant comparison and little if any honeymoon

Got me thinking - how many other college football coaches have done what Tom Osborne did and named the next coach? I can’t think of any, but curious if some others have done the same thing over the years.

That would’ve been an interesting play for Saban. My guess is the Bama administration would smile and say, “thank you for your input, but will take it from here“. That’s what the Nebraska administration should have done in 97.
I think that's what Stoops did with Riley

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
the problem is you're projecting your own work ethic and attitude onto what it'd be like

the second problem is you have no idea what conversations took place between Saban and the AD. Saban openly said "i'm getting too old for this" before the SEC Championship game with a full camera crew around him.

lmao what? have you ever had a job before?

so in your mind, he should've given his AD some lukewarm "hey i might quit, might not" response so that the AD could then tell potential cadidates "hey we might have a position for you, but might not also"

LOL at "IF he loved Bama". you are too Nebraska Nice for your own good.
No...you seem to not understand what I am saying, maybe I am doing a bad job.

If he loved his boss and school, he should have told him ASAP.

If not, he should have done it just like he did.

I did it this year. about two months ago. I love my school I teach at. BUT I also started to look around. So I went to my boss and talked with her and I said "Hey, I am going to look around a bit, I love it here but I just want to see if there is more money out there for me at a different school".

My boss thanked me and understood and I said "I will keep you posted if I apply anywhere"

At my LAST school. I hated my boss, with a passion. I never said a ****ing thing to that biatch about looking for a new job and when I got it, then I told her.

Still can’t believe Dabo wouldn’t take it, but what do I know…if Lanning turned it down, other than that Pete Carroll is pretty old, but stranger things have happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT