ADVERTISEMENT

Next Alabama Coach

Don’t agree, Bama wandered the wastes for decades after Bear Bryant. The only exception being the Stallings era, which set them back even further with NCAA sanctions. Saban is the best recruiter in CFB history bar none, and his NFL clout helped sell recruits to Bama.
Honestly I don’t think he is the best recruiter. I think they live in a fertile recruiting ground. But the biggest thing they did is elevate the bag man to epic levels.

I believe NIL is hurting Bama more than any other school. I believe Saban knows it and is content with his legacy being cemented with him leaving now.

Whoever takes that gig won’t be employed beyond 3 full seasons.
They did it wrong...Why take the Bama gig if you have a P5 Gig that already pays you crazy money AND gives you a chance to make the 12 (soon to be 16) team playoff.

It makes no sense. Ole Miss is the same job as a Sabanless Bama job. So is Washington, so is NU, so is OSU and UT and Oregon.

Recruiting might be "easier" at Bama than some of those schools but HS recruiting is no longer the same as it was...

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Whoever takes that gig won’t be employed beyond 3 full seasons.
I believe Kirby Smart may be ready to leave Georgia. The fallout from the car crash last year is starting to really pick up steam. Alabama would be a lateral move though and he may be tiring of the transfer portal and NIL as much as Saban. Supposedly the Falcons are interested and that interest is mutual.
Kiffin is a real possibility. Ole Miss has never been the match of alabama as a program and Kiffin is more comfortable with the new world of the portal and NIL. He's a known commodity.
Sarkisian is a possibility but the money and recruiting in Texas make it a tough sell. He will have a loaded team going into the SEC next year without having to face Saban.
Those are the only college coaches I think Alabama will consider. I'm guessing they go to the NFL like they did went they pulled Saban from the Dolphins.
Someone like Kyle Shanahan.

• Haha
Reactions: V-Doub
I believe Kirby Smart may be ready to leave Georgia. The fallout from the car crash last year is starting to really pick up steam. Alabama would be a lateral move though and he may be tiring of the transfer portal and NIL as much as Saban. Supposedly the Falcons are interested and that interest is mutual.
Kiffin is a real possibility. Ole Miss has never been the match of alabama as a program and Kiffin is more comfortable with the new world of the portal and NIL. He's a known commodity.
Sarkisian is a possibility but the money and recruiting in Texas make it a tough sell. He will have a loaded team going into the SEC next year without having to face Saban.
Those are the only college coaches I think Alabama will consider. I'm guessing they go to the NFL like they did went they pulled Saban from the Dolphins.
Rumor is Lanning, Deboer and Sark already said to **** off.

Kyle Shanahan that is coach of the top seed in the NFC? Lol

I don't think so.

Saban was primarily a college coach since his stint with the Dolphins was short. I can't think of many "pro" coaches who were that good in college. Pete Carroll had college before his first stint at the pros, then the highly successful run at USC before he went back to Seattle. Even Harbaugh had success at Stanford before he went to the 49ers and then back to U of Michigan. I just think there's a difference in the college and pro coaching approaches.

Kirby Smart - no
Kiffin - "no" - boosters
Sarkisian - no
Kyle Shanahan - I'll pretend you were joking

Okay, so it is not Lanning, Kiffin, Sark, or Dabo. And anyone who would put James Franklin on that list is an idiot. The dude cannot beat the big boys. So who? There are some recently fired NFL coaches, like Belichek and Pete Carrol, but they are both too old. This is going to get interesting. Perhaps Norvell could be the choice. Then the rumor of Prime to FSU might happen.

I don’t think Lane and Dabo are out of it. I think Bama fans, Greg McElroy included, think they are above going after Dabo and/or Kiffin. And I think the Alabama AD is well aware of this fan sentiment. But once all their top choices turn them down, they may have to take a hard look in the mirror…

Kyle Shanahan is not going to gumpville. I’ll bet any amount you want on that.

My money is on Deboer. Alabama would like to get this done quickly, but that a hole, Jimmy Sexton will string it along.

Reactions: thall__
My money is on Deboer. Alabama would like to get this done quickly, but that a hole, Jimmy Sexton will string it along.
One who is going under the radar is Glenn Schumann, current DC at Georgia.

The guy specifically went to Alabama to work as an assistant under Saban before following Kirby Smart to Georgia.

Don't have the stats in front of me, but has Georgia's defense gotten any worse since Dan Lanning left? Could be a thought that he's just as capable.

The thing about DeBoer is it's tough to stay he has had to stand in the fire for very long. He has had an incredible run at Washington thus far, but it's safe to say that winning the SEC is a much tougher task than winning the PAC.

I'm gonna make the prediction that the 2023 Washington team will end up being the best team DeBoer ever put together. They had the Heisman level QB who followed from Indiana, and a string of really close wins that just had that lightning in a bottle feel to it.

DeBoer is a great coach, but I'll be shocked if Washington wins the B1G in the next 5 years.

If it is Dan Lanning then Alabama will keep on rolling. It only underscores what a mistake Osborne made in 1997 handing things over to Solich. In 97 we were the big dog. THE program. We could have had our pick of any great coach out there and not missed a beat in recruiting. Big missed opportunity for NU. And I love Solich. But he did let things slide
TRUTH!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Rolling?

I mean...not by their fan standards. 1 loss is a "Hmmm" season. 2 losses is panic and 3 losses, well, meltdown city.
I remember a fanbase of a team that dominated from the 70’s through the 90’s that had a similar standard…

• Love
Reactions: BTF69
Kiffin is the only one that makes sense from a coach and program perspective.

Lanning and Deboer are secure with decent expectations. No reason to leave. Dabo doesn't like the scrutiny at Clemson, he sure as hell isn't going go like the complaining in Tuscaloosa. Why would Sark leave Austin? Has Norvell proven himself worthy of being a top candidate for a job like Bama? Honestly don't follow FSU.

Has Norvell proven himself worthy of being a top candidate for a job like Bama? Honestly don't follow FSU.

Yeah, probably. Took FSU from 3-6 (covid year) to undefeated in 4 years. And probably make the playoffs if their QB hadn't gotten hurt. Plus he's a south guy, which DeBoer is not. Apparently means something to Bammers.

Not sure if these odds mean squat, but apparently Dabo now the favorite...

If there’s a god he needs to make this happen 🙏🏻 Gumps will melt down if they hire Dabo and the move could usher in a down swing for the 2 of the best programs over the last 15 years.

I feel like we should be hearing the name Bill O'Brien more. I think he'd be a good choice and he's looking for work now...unless Billy B still wants to coach and is planning on raking him with.

I feel like we should be hearing the name Bill O'Brien more. I think he'd be a good choice and he's looking for work now...unless Billy B still wants to coach and is planning on raking him with.
He is an NFL guy . Nobody wants to hire him in college because they know first opportunity he will jump back to the NFL. I agree he is a good coach.

This is comical because they either
1. Had a plan in place and it has fallen apart
2. Had no plan in place

Either way, it is classic stuff.

Reactions: V-Doub
He is an NFL guy . Nobody wants to hire him in college because they know first opportunity he will jump back to the NFL. I agree he is a good coach.

Except for the successful stint he had at Penn State and the unsuccessful one he had as the Texans head coach...he's an NFL guy?

Nebraska fans watching Alabama fans losing their minds.

first time GIF

This is comical because they either
1. Had a plan in place and it has fallen apart
2. Had no plan in place

Either way, it is classic stuff.

Saban claims that he didn't even know which way he was going to go on it 5 minutes before he told the team on Wednesday. How was Alabama supposed to have a plan for that? It's barely Friday 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT