ADVERTISEMENT

New Athletic Director

Most people won't admit it now but Eichorst was considered a pretty good hire at the time. Miami's A.D. from the Wisconsin athletic tree. Endorsed by Barry Alverez. Peterson was one of our own. Former Nebraska recruiting coordinator who was embraced by many at the time of his hiring. You have to like the fact he has ties to Chip Kelly and Scott Frost.

Accomplishments? Washington state has come very well in athletics. Oregons big break was during his time also.

But, who cares about that, right?
He's an old man who lucked out being associated with Phil Knight..... it's a terrible hire, no other way to explain I. We've become the golden parachute for PAC 12 lackeys

Reactions: bomber89
Guys guys guys. You've got it all wrong. He's good buddies with Mike Riley from their days in Oregon. They use to get together and count Spotted Owls on New Years Day.

He's 5 years away from retirement. He's has zero noteworthy accomplishments. This really says that no one wanted this job.
William H. (Bill) Moos began his duties as Washington State University Director of Athletics April 15, 2010. Moos, a 2004 recipient of the prestigious WSU Alumni Achievement Award, was named director of athletics by WSU President Elson S. Floyd, Feb. 24, 2010.

Since arriving in Pullman Moos has wasted no time in making his impact felt in Cougar Athletics, spearheading a department-wide rebranding effort with Nike while securing a 10-year, $35 million marketing rights agreement with IMG College. In addition he gained Regents approval for a $130 million addition and remodel of Martin Stadium, featuring a remodeled press box with luxury seating, including suites, loge boxes and club room. Also included in the project was a state-of-the-art video board and an 80,000-square-foot football operations building which serves as the stadium’s showpiece and opened in May, 2014.

As the dean of Pac-12 athletic directors, Moos was at the forefront of the conference’s procurement of a 12-year, $3 billion television contract with FOX and ESPN, a landmark agreement in college athletics. In the six years under Moos’ direction, the Cougar Athletic Fund’s Annual Giving program has seen an 81 percent increase in gifts while CAF donor members have risen from nearly 4,000 to more than 7,500.

Additional facility enhancements under Moos include a center hung video board in Beasley Coliseum which was installed prior to the 2011-12 season, giving Cougar Basketball one of the premier fan experiences in the conference. An indoor golf hitting facility was also completed in early 2013 and Lower Soccer Field has undergone a major renovation making the venue TV-ready while also providing one of the best playing surfaces on the west coast, along with the addition of lights and a new scoreboard. Other enhancements have been made to the Moobery track facility, Bailey-Brayton Field, the basketball practice gym, Gibb Pool and the Simmelink Indoor tennis courts, with more improvements on the horizon.

In Moos’ first six years at WSU, Cougar student-athletes and coaches have accounted for 805 academic all-conference selections, 130 all-conference accolades, 45 All-America honors and three Pac-12 Coach of the Year honors.

Moos has enjoyed a long and distinguished career in collegiate athletics, serving as the University of Oregon director of athletics from 1995-2007. While at Oregon he oversaw a 17-sport athletic department that grew to national prominence during his tenure.

Oregon’s annual athletic department budget grew from $18.5 million in his first year to more than $40 million by 2007, becoming 100 percent self-sufficient during that time. Under his direction the Duck Athletic Fund donor base increased from 4,930 to 12,290, resulting in an annual gifts increase from $4.1 million to $15.3 million.

Moos initiated more than $160 million in facility improvements while at Oregon. Included in that was the $90 million Autzen Stadium renovation in 2002, which added 12,000 new seats, 32 new suites, a new Club at Autzen and a new press box to the stadium. In his 12 years the Ducks ranked first in Pac-10 football attendance 11 times, reaching 100 percent capacity in each of those seasons.

During Moos’ tenure, Oregon athletics captured 13 Pac-10 championships across six different sports. He increased opportunities for women by adding two intercollegiate programs, soccer and lacrosse, and negotiated an all-inclusive shoe and apparel contract with Nike, one of only 14 in the country at the time.

From an academic standpoint during Moos’ tenure, Oregon student-athletes collected 722 academic all-conference selections, 34 Academic All-America selections, nine NCAA post Graduate Scholars and one NCAA Top VIII Award. Moos assumed the duties of director of athletics in July 1995, after five years in the same position at the University of Montana.

During his Montana tenure (1990-95), he created an academic support program and hired its first athletic academic coordinator, developed a facility enhancement plan that created more than $4 million in improvements, and lifted the school’s fund-raising efforts to show a 300 percent increase in private and corporate gifts.

Academically, Montana student-athletes were equally successful as the athletic department achieved a graduation rate 20 percent higher than the general university enrollment. Under Moos’ watch Montana garnered 269 academic all-conference selections, five Academic All-Americans and two NCAA Post Graduate Scholar winners.

Moos began his athletics career in 1982 as assistant athletics director at Washington State University and also served as the school’s associate director (1988-90). At Washington State, he was director of development for more than five years and associate director for nearly two years, supervising all external operations. Prior to that, he managed and owned private businesses in Washington and Oregon for eight years.

He was a student assistant football coach at Washington State for the 1973 season, then spent part of 1974 in Washington, D.C., serving as a government intern.

Raised on a wheat and cattle ranch in eastern Washington, Moos attended high school in Olympia when his father served in the governor’s cabinet.

Moos earned his bachelor’s degree in history from WSU and was a three-year letterman in football before concluding his collegiate career by representing Washington State in the 1972 East-West Shrine all-star game in San Francisco. He served as co-captain on the Cougars’ 1972 squad and garnered All-Pac-8 Conference First Team honors.

Moos and his wife Kendra have three daughters: Christa, Brittany and Kaiti; and two sons, Bo and Benjamin.

He's 5 years away from retirement. He's has zero noteworthy accomplishments. This really says that no one wanted this job.
You don't want an administrator to be around forever. He's qualified and somebody NU's regents, president and chancellor can work with.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
well this either means one of two things. We keep Riley or we get Frost.

I
This is going to be very interesting. Is this who we wanted? Is he a guy we liked? Or is the NE brand dog shit nationally and this is the best we could do?

Just called one of my Coug friends. He didn't know. He is Shocked Bill left Pullman. Before he understood Bill had left he was telling me how Bill was a born and bred Cougar and bled Cougar crimson . When I finally got through to him that he was actually leaving he had a hard time processing it. He's going to call me back. He added that Bill is very good at getting the alumni involved in fund raising.

Why does a 67 year old die hard Cougar leave to go to Nebraska. He made less than a million. how much is Nebraska going to pay him?

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I

Just called one of my Coug friends. He didn't know. He is Shocked Bill left Pullman. Before he understood Bill had left he was telling me how Bill was a born and bred cougar and bled Cougar crimson . When I finally got through to him that he was actually leaving he had a hard time processing it. He's going to call me back. He added that Bill is very good at get the alumni involved in fund raising.

Why does a 67 year old die hard cougar leave to go to Nebraska. He made less than a million. how much is Nebraska going to pay him?

Million a year.

SE was a young hot commodity in the AD ranks, Moos hired Mike Belotti and Mike Leach. All of which have proven to be great football hires.

Last edited:
Reactions: CameronKrazie86
I

Just called one of my Coug friends. He didn't know. He is Shocked Bill left Pullman. Before he understood Bill had left he was telling me how Bill was a born and bred cougar and bled Cougar crimson . When I finally got through to him that he was actually leaving he had a hard time processing it. He's going to call me back. He added that Bill is very good at get the alumni involved in fund raising.

Why does a 67 year old die hard cougar leave to go to Nebraska. He made less than a million. how much is Nebraska going to pay him?
1 million/ 5 years

I

He wants to tag his name maybe on another successful rebuild before he hangs it up. NU is probably a bigger budget and I bet he gets a hefty raise.

I feel exactly how I felt when it was announced NU hired Mike Riley as head football coach...underwhelmed, and keeping my fingers crossed that NU leadership knows what they are doing.

Reactions: Agegoneby
He wants to tag his name maybe on another successful rebuild before he hangs it up. NU is probably a bigger budget and I bet he gets a hefty raise.
Small town guy too, I'm sure he'll fit in here growing up on a farm and will understand the culture. Wazzu is even more isolated than Lincoln so he will understand what it takes to wow recruits on visits.

SE was a young hot commodity in the AD ranks, Moos hired Mike Belotti, Chip Kelly, and Mike Leach. All of which have proven to be great football hires.

I don't think he hired Chip Kelly or Bellotti. He also hired Ernie Kent to coach basketball at WSU which was an awful hire.

Reactions: TheNewNU
this is an freaking awful hire. Phil Knight told Oregon he wouldn't help build a basketball arena until they fired this guy. What has he done as an AD besides a good talker. WTF!! Bounds and Green did exactly what they accuse Eichorst of doing and that is hiring someone who is just a complete opposite. This is freaking nightmare! this is what you get when you hire a company from the east coast to hire someone in the midwest. You get an old fart who hasn't done jack crap on the west coast.

Time for Green and Bounds to pack their crap too. What a freaking disaster!
HerbiePostOSUloss.jpg

Just texted a friend I've known since I moved to Nebraska in 1968. He lives in the Seattle area. Both his dad's sisters married guys who played high school and college ball with TO in Hastings. He went to U Dub but is a die hard passionate Husker fan. He is stunned as well. We both thought hiring Riley was a terrible move. Let's hope we are wrong on Moos.

The only damn accomplishment is that he hire a good head coach if and when the time comes, that is all that matters..

He's not going to coach the football program so I don't understand the fuss..
People obviously forget that Bob Devaney was our AD for quite a while and all he did was drink with boosters and tell jokes. SE had it backwards. The AD is the PR front man and you let the people who know what they're doing do the work.

this is an freaking awful hire. Phil Knight told Oregon he wouldn't help build a basketball arena until they fired this guy. What has he done as an AD besides a good talker. WTF!! Bounds and Green did exactly what they accuse Eichorst of doing and that is hiring someone who is just a complete opposite. This is freaking nightmare! this is what you get when you hire a company from the east coast to hire someone in the midwest. You get an old fart who hasn't done jack crap on the west coast.

HerbiePostOSUloss.jpg
Okay, that was long winded and not all that well thought out.

HerbiePostOSUloss.jpg
Don't pull the trigger just yet. I think this hire will be a good fit. He's been very successful as an AD. No more young gun ADs looking to put THEIR stamp on the program. Save that for your coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT