ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA basketball tournaments cancelled

1NebrFan

Walk On
Dec 3, 2004
It marks the first time since the tournament was introduced in 1939 ( men )1982 ( women ) that champions in the sport of college basketball will not be crowned. All other remaining winter and spring NCAA championships have also been cancelled.

And wrestling....... I am proclaiming that the 2019-2020 Husker Wrestling team finished 4th in the nation and can place that trophy in the case at Devaney!

421d5df4e1417254156e456149c8db33.png

Last edited:
I need an explanation of how Corona is worse than H1N1. Not nearly the apocalyptic attitude then. All fun and enjoyment was not canceled, and that virus killed kids!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
WOW. If true definitely a kick in the nads for Omaha. Will there be any baseball games or track meets??

Guess not. According to Big ten they've cancelled all events for the remainder of the academic year. Sux

I need an explanation of how Corona is worse than H1N1. Not nearly the apocalyptic attitude then. All fun and enjoyment was not canceled, and that virus killed kids!

Yeah it seems a little hysteric. We're pretty much shutting down society and destroying the economy over something that isn't really affecting anyone under the age of 70. Wouldn't a 2-week quarantine of all elderly people make more sense? Or are we all going to live in a bubble for the rest of our lives with no social events?

With the internet, I could live just fine at home for many many months (except for food). Got a gym in the garage and a wife.

Man, what a way to end your senior season. I'm sure that the NCAA will grant another year of eligibility but at this point I think most people will move on with their lives with a bitter taste in their mouth. Who's going to go to another year of school just to play another year of baseball or throw the javelin

Yeah it seems a little hysteric. We're pretty much shutting down society and destroying the economy over something that isn't really affecting anyone under the age of 70. Wouldn't a 2-week quarantine of all elderly people make more sense? Or are we all going to live in a bubble for the rest of our lives with no social events?
I think there have been numerous people under 70 affected.

Man, what a way to end your senior season. I'm sure that the NCAA will grant another year of eligibility but at this point I think most people will move on with their lives with a bitter taste in their mouth. Who's going to go to another year of school just to play another year of baseball or throw the javelin

Unless they also allow extra scholarships how would this work? Sorry incoming freshmen, you lost your spot?

And how is this passed around? That is the key, doctors in Italy are having to decide who gets the ventilator and who gets the death sentence because of a shortage. Hospitals are closing surgery wings to be able to handle the influx of patients, need a transplant or surgery? Sorry...hospitals are full and you are dead.

I think there have been numerous people under 70 affected.

Only if they already had a serious underlying medical condition. The average age of a coronavirus death in the US is 78, and the vast majority have been over 70, except for a select few with those underlying conditions. Thousands of younger people likely have it but show no or very mild symptoms. Not sure why this is treated so much more serious than H1N1, which affected a lot more younger people.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
In 10 years we can say we would have made the tournament if it weren't for the corona virus

And how is this passed around? That is the key, doctors in Italy are having to decide who gets the ventilator and who gets the death sentence because of a shortage. Hospitals are closing surgery wings to be able to handle the influx of patients, need a transplant or surgery? Sorry...hospitals are full and you are dead.

Italy has a very high number of elderly people. Almost all of the deaths have been 80 or older. There are also direct flights from Wuhan to Milan and Rome, and thousands of people from China flying in their to work in the factories for the fashion companies. Italy has been an outlier for these reasons, every other developed nation has seen very few deaths.

Reactions: TheNewNU
With vaccines still 15+ months away this will be circulating worldwide for the next 2-3 years. This is only the beginning of the disruptions.

Organizations are advising putting the needs of the most vulnerable in our society above our own in order to protect them

Some people are pissed

It would be pretty simple, postpone or cancel all events with 50+ people for the next 2 weeks, and strongly advise all elderly people to stay home for the next month. This would blow over by April. No young people are dying and most aren't even getting sick - so just keep them away from the most vulnerable people.

Canceling events three months from now is a major overreaction.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
My wife is pondering whether it’s worth surviving in a world in which I have no sports to watch. For her that’s far more terrifying than the virus!

Reactions: dinglefritz
So far, the score (death toll) in 2020 is Corona 37, Standard Flu 4800.

Here's how the WHO explains it:

Q. How are COVID-19 and influenza viruses different?

A. The speed of transmission is an important point of difference between the two viruses. Influenza has a shorter median incubation period (the time from infection to appearance of symptoms) and a shorter serial interval (the time between successive cases) than COVID-19 virus. The serial interval for COVID-19 virus is estimated to be 5-6 days, while for influenza virus, the serial interval is 3 days. This means that influenza can spread faster than COVID19. Further, transmission in the first 3-5 days of illness, or potentially pre-symptomatic transmission – transmission of the virus before the appearance of symptoms – is a major driver of transmission for influenza. In contrast, while we are learning that there are people who can shed COVID-19 virus 24-48 hours prior to symptom onset, at present, this does not appear to be a major driver of transmission.

So the Chinese Coronavirus is possibly LESS VIRAL than the seasonal flu.

Easy, Rambo. In 2016, 102 people died, daily, in the US from auto accidents. Perspective can be helpful. Glad the media didn't run a daily report with the exciting breaking news alerts.
you're right! can't wait to see what you think about these posts next week, genius.

It marks the first time since the tournament was introduced in 1939 ( men )1982 ( women ) that champions in the sport of college basketball will not be crowned. All other remaining winter and spring NCAA championships have also been cancelled.
wonder if schools/conferences have insurance for lost revenue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT