ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Baseball Tournament

The Big Ten has been decent the last few years. Nebraska has sucked.

Please elaborate. The big ten has only had one team in the last 34 years advance to the CWS (final 8). The big is not anywhere near a major division 1 conference in baseball.

The inability to compete is sparking some to discuss whether a minor league college baseball division should be formed consisting of northern schools

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...hern-divisions-would-actually-make-sense/amp/

Reactions: DonlugoQ
Hogs bat around in the first to go up 5-0 on South Carolina, but it's still early.

I still root for Van Horn. Now there was a guy who didn't have to repeatedly tell you how much he hates losing. It was obvious from all the winning.

EDIT: Arkansas wins 14-4. Congrats DVH.

Last edited:
Hogs bat around in the first to go up 5-0 on South Carolina, but it's still early.

I still root for Van Horn. Now there was a guy who didn't have to repeatedly tell you how much he hates losing. It was obvious from all the winning.

Me too, he still screams Nebraska for me.Winking

Reactions: dpnavy and schuele
Who you have in the finals

I will go
Oregon St
Ark but Fla has some top 2 starters

Sunday bracket I think any of the 4 could advance

Hogs against the Beavers for the title..

Hope the Whorns go two and barbecue.

Arkansas and Texas in a lightning delay with the Hogs up 5-2 in the 6th, with the bases loaded and no outs. Hoping that when play resumes the Hogs can break the game open and get deep into the Horns' bullpen. DVH winning and Texas going home early would make me smile.

Reactions: scarletred
Hogs now up 11-4, top of the 8th, after a long delay. While it's good to see Arkansas (likely) win, the weather delay kind of sucked away any real momentum they have coming out of this game - which is dragging on forever.

A lot of on and off showers the next 3 days maybe this year they will have to playing games on Friday and Saturday.

A lot of on and off showers the next 3 days maybe this year they will have to playing games on Friday and Saturday.
They have two games on Friday for sure. Saturday games are if nobody is able to remain undefeated in the bracket. Could be one, two or no Saturday games depending. No Sunday games.

They have two games on Friday for sure. Saturday games are if nobody is able to remain undefeated in the bracket. Could be one, two or no Saturday games depending. No Sunday games.

My point was if they can’t get these games in the next 3 days...

Rain is coming in again on Wednesday and Thursday all depends on lightning and showers could come in again later today into the evening.

My point was if they can’t get these games in the next 3 days...

Rain is coming in again on Wednesday and Thursday all depends on lightning and showers could come in again later today into the evening.

They'll get them in unless a full days are washed out. Only one game Wed. and Thurs. gives them some leeway. If there are full washouts, Sunday would be open.

Miss St in command of one bracket, on a roll. This team had to sweep Florida in the last weekend to get in to SEC tourney. Florida/Texas want both to lose, but hope it goes about 12 inn, burn pitching!!

College baseball is little better than the little league world series, it is not representative whatsoever of the top 18-22 year olds in the country. The best are either in the minors or in latin america. This is precisely what is going to happen to CB and CF when the players start to join developmental leagues following HS. The NCAA better start to pay and soon.

baseball has always been different. There have always been developmental leagues and the best of the best have always gone to the minors. Especially after the money started getting crazy.

The G league struggles and every American football league not named NFL is out of business within a few years.

College baseball is little better than the little league world series, it is not representative whatsoever of the top 18-22 year olds in the country. The best are either in the minors or in latin america. This is precisely what is going to happen to CB and CF when the players start to join developmental leagues following HS. The NCAA better start to pay and soon.
College baseball doesn't even need stipends or salaries to improve its talent level - just increasing the scholarships to a level that supports a full roster would be a major step. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the sport is still stuck on 11.75 scholarships spread across the whole roster. That makes it hard to assemble a decent lineup and rotation, let alone a bench and bullpen.

I agree, I would say I would rather watch the LLWS than the CWS.

It is hard to believe that college baseball is this bad. I don't know how because everyone I know on Facebook who has a boy between ages 8-16 wins some super great baseball tournament to make it to Nationals. EVERY WEEKEND!!!

College baseball doesn't even need stipends or salaries to improve its talent level - just increasing the scholarships to a level that supports a full roster would be a major step. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the sport is still stuck on 11.75 scholarships spread across the whole roster. That makes it hard to assemble a decent lineup and rotation, let alone a bench and bullpen.

I think you would be shocked at the number of kids that pay little to nothing to go to school and play baseball. Baseball players can take advantage of all the academic aid, grants and scholarships that football and basketball players don’t need. 69% of all freshmen received some sort of scholarship with the average scholarship being close to $5,000.

I think you would be shocked at the number of kids that pay little to nothing to go to school and play baseball. Baseball players can take advantage of all the academic aid, grants and scholarships that football and basketball players don’t need. 69% of all freshmen received some sort of scholarship with the average scholarship being close to $5,000.
No, that would not shock me. I'm just pointing out that baseball could take some pretty major steps in terms of player compensation without really breaking any new ground. A full scholarship still isn't going to keep an elite player from signing a pro contract, but increasing the scholarship allotment would surely elevate the overall talent pool to some degree.

The CWS is freaking awesome. Wow.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
No, that would not shock me. I'm just pointing out that baseball could take some pretty major steps in terms of player compensation without really breaking any new ground. A full scholarship still isn't going to keep an elite player from signing a pro contract, but increasing the scholarship allotment would surely elevate the overall talent pool to some degree.

But the problem becomes a money issue. I would bet the average D1 baseball program Is losing close to $1 million per year. Traveling 35 guys every weekend is expensive. I wouldn’t be surprised if 70% or more D1 schools aren’t even funding the 11.7 they can, probably closer to 9 or 10. If you up the number, you are going to get a bunch of programs cut. Then who wins?

I get that it is hard to get a kid to stick around for a 25% baseball scholarship, especially if he doesn’t want to put in the time to keep his academics where they need to be to keep academic aid, and the MLB teams are offering a $40k signing bonus.

But the problem becomes a money issue. I would bet the average D1 baseball program Is losing close to $1 million per year. Traveling 35 guys every weekend is expensive. I wouldn’t be surprised if 70% or more D1 schools aren’t even funding the 11.7 they can, probably closer to 9 or 10. If you up the number, you are going to get a bunch of programs cut. Then who wins?

I get that it is hard to get a kid to stick around for a 25% baseball scholarship, especially if he doesn’t want to put in the time to keep his academics where they need to be to keep academic aid, and the MLB teams are offering a $40k signing bonus.
Yes I get that money is an issue, but I was responding to a post that called for the NCAA to start paying the players. I was trying to underscore just how unlikely that is to happen in a sport that currently allows less than 12 scholarships. When the sport has been stuck on that number for I-don't-know-how-long, I don't think stipends and salaries are coming anytime soon.

Last edited:
Yes I get that money is an issue, but I was responding to a post that called for the NCAA to start paying the players. I was trying to underscore just how unlikely that is to happen in a sport that currently allows less than 12 scholarships. When the sport has been stuck on that number for I-don't-know-how-long, I don't think stipends and salaries are coming anytime soon.

My apologies, I guess I didn’t take that post very seriously because he thinks the developmental leagues in basketball and football are going to be a threat to the NCAA.

Secondly, because I didn’t take the original reply seriously, I didn’t read your comment to be a retort to paying players. I took it as your idea of an option that the NCAA should consider to increase the level of play in college baseball. Which is why I brought up the point that college baseball losses money.

Looks like a good day for the SEC today at the yard. Arky could have made it three for three. Hope the game vs. Tech is a good one.

Need good weather please please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT