ADVERTISEMENT

My quick observation on the game

c3ntral08

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2008
I'll make this short and sweet.

OFFENSE: We finally have the offense I've been dreaming of for years. Shotgun, shotgun, shotgun.. put a player in motion, hand the ball off, or play-action, throw down field, QB-RUN-PASS-OPTION, QB draw with an athletic QB, hurry up, do it again. This offense is so elite and simple. The days of QBs under center are numbered. A 5-step drop, 3-step drop, that's all wasted time for a QB when he could just stand behind center and receive a direct snap. Being in shotgun makes it WAY more simple for the QB. Look at Lee last year; when he succeeded throwing down field, he was in shotgun. It was extremely obvious he struggled under center. Not only was that on him but it puts a lot more pressure on the OL when a QB is under center because you have to block longer, blitzes come in faster... and when you have a bad OL... well, we saw what happened. 1st play our offense ran yesterday? Just a 40 yard seamer down field. Gone are the days of "oh, it's 1st & 10, lets run straight". How many times did Riley and Co come out and run straight on 1st down? It had to have been around 90% throughout the year. That's predictable and puts you in a hole immediately. This offense keeps the defense guessing! Iowa and Wisky and the entire West, your days are numbered with your slow defenses.

Defense: Not much stood out, really. Players seemed to attack the ball and tackle well. They did in last years spring game too, I thought. Neal stood out for sure. I'm going to be really disappointed if he can't make an impact this year.

Special Teams: Meh. I'm not worried about this at all. We won't be punting or kicking much. Gone are the days of 4th & 4 from the opponents 45 yard line, lets punt. NO, you go for it. You have an offense that can score a TD on 4th n 4, so you don't punt. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK instead of kicking a field goal or punting to the other team.

September can't get here soon enough! GBR!

Last edited:

OFFENSE: We finally have the offense I've been dreaming of for years. Shotgun, shotgun, shotgun.. put a player in motion, hand the ball off, or play-action, throw down field, QB-RUN-PASS-OPTION, QB draw with an athletic QB, hurry up, do it again. This offense is so elite and simple. The days of QBs under center are numbered. A 5-step drop, 3-step drop, that's all wasted time for a QB when he could just stand behind center and receive a direct snap. Being in shotgun makes it WAY more simple for the QB. Look at Lee last year; when he succeeded throwing down field, he was in shotgun. It was extremely obvious he struggled under center. Not only was that on him but it puts a lot more pressure on the OL when a QB is under center because you have to block longer, blitzes come in faster... and when you have a bad OL... well, we saw what happened. 1st play our offense ran yesterday? Just a 40 yard seamer down field. Gone are the days of "oh, it's 1st & 10, lets run straight". How many times did Riley and Co come out and run straight on 1st down? It had to have been around 90% throughout the year. That's predictable and puts you in a hole immediately. This offense keeps the defense guessing! Iowa and Wisky and the entire West, your days are numbered with your slow defenses.

Defense: Not much stood out, really. Players seemed to attack the ball and tackle well. They did in last years spring game too, I thought. Neal stood out for sure. I'm going to be really disappointed if he can't make an impact this year.

Special Teams: Meh. I'm not worried about this at all. We won't be punting or kicking much. Gone are the days of 4th & 4 from the opponents 45 yard line, lets punt. NO, you go for it. You have an offense that can score a TD on 4th n 4, so you don't punt. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK instead of kicking a field goal or punting to the other team.

would you want to go shotgun on 4th down and 1/2 yard to go when a qb sneek would get a 1st down?

We will need the special teams. Even in the chapionscham years there were times when the game of field position was important until we wore them out and the flood gates opened. Then came the bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
Well I agree with you about liking this offense. The kicking game, however, might not matter against the lesser teams but it will be important if we expect to beat elite teams.

Well I agree with you about liking this offense. The kicking game, however, might not matter against the lesser teams but it will be important if we expect to beat elite teams.
As far as the kicking game goes, I think Lightbourne will be very good. I predict that Pickering will be the guy from about 35 yards and in, while Frahm has the bigger leg but isn't as accurate and doesn't get the ball up as fast as Pickering. I think Frahm will win the kick off work unless the new rule changes the strategy.

Gone are the days of "oh, it's 1st & 10, lets run straight". How many times did Riley and Co come out and run straight on 1st down? It had to have been around 90% throughout the year. That's predictable and puts you in a hole immediately.

I'm not so sure our RBs ever really knew where the hole was going to be on any given play. Would like to see more one cut plant and go. Still too much hesitation and dancing after handoff Imo.

I'm not so sure our RBs ever really knew where the hole was going to be on any given play. Would like to see more one cut plant and go. Still too much hesitation and dancing after handoff Imo.

A zone scheme doesn't have a hole. There is a difference between inside zone and 22 dive or 24 slant. The RB will probably not ever know where the hole is going to be exactly, he does need to find the first seam and hit it. I agree that there were too many times Saturday where the RBs got caught going horizontal and the defense stretched the play to the sideline.

A zone scheme doesn't have a hole. There is a difference between inside zone and 22 dive or 24 slant. The RB will probably not ever know where the hole is going to be exactly, he does need to find the first seam and hit it. I agree that there were too many times Saturday where the RBs got caught going horizontal and the defense stretched the play to the sideline.

this is so spot on and one of the most difficult things to scout in RBs and QBs - decision making - is the right decision made and how quickly is it made

the RB needs to recognize the lane that is going to yield the big run .. as important he also needs to recognize when that lane isn't there and recognize the lane that he can get 3-4 tough yards and hit it .. this needs to happen in a split second and is probably the single thing that differentiates a great back from a very average back. Give me a back that runs a 4.7 40 with great vision over a 4.4 back with poor vision any day.

would you want to go shotgun on 4th down and 1/2 yard to go when a qb sneek would get a 1st down?

No I'd rather line up under center and bush-push which is legal now. 99% of the time the refs are gunna give you the benefit of the doubt if you just sneak it and have someone behind you push you forward.

This offense is so elite and simple.

Be careful. It is not simple for the QB. Ask Frost or any of the QB's that played for him.It requires making very quick decisions and processing a lot of information in a VERY short amount of time. McKenzie Milton was a bit of a mess as a true frosh QB in this system. It wasn't until year 2 that it clicked. We(UCF) were lucky that he had the acumen to pick it up.

Expect 3 and outs early in your season. Your defense is going to have to keep you in some games just like UCF had to do in 2016. UCF was not the offensive juggernaut it was last year in Frost's first year.

By year 2 though, it will be a different story.

Be careful. It is not simple for the QB. Ask Frost or any of the QB's that played for him.It requires making very quick decisions and processing a lot of information in a VERY short amount of time. McKenzie Milton was a bit of a mess as a true frosh QB in this system. It wasn't until year 2 that it clicked. We(UCF) were lucky that he had the acumen to pick it up.

Expect 3 and outs early in your season. Your defense is going to have to keep you in some games just like UCF had to do in 2016. UCF was not the offensive juggernaut it was last year in Frost's first year.

By year 2 though, it will be a different story.

I'm speaking more about what we ran under Riley. A pro-style west coast offense is much more complicated for college kids then what Frost runs. Not just for the QBs but for the OL and WRs.

this is so spot on and one of the most difficult things to scout in RBs and QBs - decision making - is the right decision made and how quickly is it made

the RB needs to recognize the lane that is going to yield the big run .. as important he also needs to recognize when that lane isn't there and recognize the lane that he can get 3-4 tough yards and hit it .. this needs to happen in a split second and is probably the single thing that differentiates a great back from a very average back. Give me a back that runs a 4.7 40 with great vision over a 4.4 back with poor vision any day.

Emmit Smith vs. Trent Richardson

They typically have keys to read to help with finding the seam, and for every call the keys will be different and can be different players depending on the defense. As you said, this can be difficult but those who master it tend to maximize plays.
being quick and fast helps you hit once you make the read, but without the brain youll only be in for a few plays where the destination is decided.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT