ADVERTISEMENT

My exact thoughts on AM

It's how we all feel. A lot of this is on Frost for not recruiting/coaching up someone to compete for the job. Does Scott Frost know what he is doing? Are we going to put this all on Amart? Any other big time program would have benched him. Do we think Osborne would have kept him as starter?

Wow. My exact thought, as well. Here’s a nice snippet:

Look at this quote from Beckton about Martinez’s improvement: “It’s night and day as far as his mechanics, his leadership, his confidence. You can see it.”

If that’s remotely true and Martinez’s mechanics, leadership and confidence really were that bad before, why has he been Nebraska’s starting QB for 3 years? I had to reread that quote 3 times to make sure he was talking about one of the longest-tenured starting QBs in the country and not someone who was just learning the ropes as an underclassman.

We are a Mickey Mouse program with bleeding heart Frost at the helm. Haarberg should start week zero!

Look at this quote from Beckton about Martinez’s improvement: “It’s night and day as far as his mechanics, his leadership, his confidence. You can see it.”

If that’s remotely true and Martinez’s mechanics, leadership and confidence really were that bad before, why has he been Nebraska’s starting QB for 3 years? I had to reread that quote 3 times to make sure he was talking about one of the Haarberg should start week zero!

If that’s remotely true and Martinez’s mechanics, leadership and confidence really were that bad before, why has he been Nebraska’s starting QB for 3 years? I had to reread that quote 3 times to make sure he was talking about one of the longest-tenured starting QBs in the country and not someone who was just learning the ropes as an underclassman.

We are a Mickey Mouse program with Frost at the helm. Haarberg should start week zero!
It's really sad.

Could not have said it better myself

Should AM have started in 2018? Y N
Should he have Started in 2019 ? Y N
Should he have lost his job in 2019? Y N
If so, who should have replaced him? _______________________
Should he have started in 2020?
Did his replacement in 2020 make the team better? Y N
Did AM play well (not great, but good) over the last 5 games in 2020? Y N

I didn't finish my set of questions.

Should AM start in 2021?
If not, name the transfer portal QB who should be starting in AM's place ( be realistic in answering this question). __________________

Reactions: TerranPetteway
only one disagreement with the author. he called the program finishing 5th in the big 10 west mediocre. i think it is sub mediocre and just hoping to become mediocre with a frickin 6 win season.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Considering how he did on the St. Paul game, starting haarberg is quite a stretch.
Haarberg got his butt handed too him by St Paul last year and against our average Gothenburg Swedes he passed for 45% completions. He has the tools but he is coming from a C1 school and needs the time to develop into a starting quarterback, especially at this level. We need Martinez to carry this team and he has more pieces of the puzzle to help him be the best he can be this year.

I for one hope Martinez has a great year, not only because I am a Husker fan but because I love a good redemption story. It is painful listening to all the bitching on this board, even before we played a game! With our improvements up front in both offense and defense lines, improved big powerful receivers and a experienced defense, I am optimistic about this season!!

Stockholm syndrome is truly a pathetic look

A kid who unanimously is thought to not even be a quarterback & now finds himself at rice went .500 as a starter (with Frost's best win at NU) while loser AM’s winning percentage wallows in the 30s.

Reactions: artguy68
Haarberg got his butt handed too him by St Paul last year and against our average Gothenburg Swedes he passed for 45% completions. He has the tools but he is coming from a C1 school and needs the time to develop into a starting quarterback, especially at this level. We need Martinez to carry this team and he has more pieces of the puzzle to help him be the best he can be this year.

I for one hope Martinez has a great year, not only because I am a Husker fan but because I love a good redemption story. It is painful listening to all the bitching on this board, even before we played a game! With our improvements up front in both offense and defense lines, improved big powerful receivers and a experienced defense, I am optimistic about this season!!
I have my concerns with AM at the helm and no transfer brought in to compete. But now being the situation, I would love to see that redemption.
We need it. We’re all starving for W’s an whoever we march out there needs fan support.

*first fumble of the year and I may be the first on here referencing bath salt addiction… but still cheering for W’s.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Should AM start in 2021?
If not, name the transfer portal QB who should be starting in AM's place ( be realistic in answering this question). __________________
There have been many chances to improve the QB play the last 2 years... This falls on the coaches and in recruiting.

Should AM start in 2021?
There have been many chances the past 2 years to improve the QB play. This is on the coaches. This is on the recruiting. When you answer your own questions, you should be asking yourself, "Why aren't there other options at QB?"
I get that the coaches need AM to be better and there are no other options now. When you notice a QB is better at athlete than QB, cut your losses and fix the open spot. Admit that made a mistake, but fix the problem.

Just stop. It's not up to me to recruit/coach. That's up to Frost. Can we at least agree on that? What you are seeing is a sign of a weak head coach. This we didn't have anyone else is sad. We're Nebraska. That used to mean something.

People develop and improve, as well as teams and coaches. This bozo journalist has the luxury to take pot shots from a distance. If NU ends up with a successful season with a bowl game, then this denigrating click bait producer will probably not be around to eat his crow. The author has the right to their opinion, and NU has the opportunity to prove these naysayers wrong. We shall see on about December 1, 2021 whether this pessimistic cow pie thrower was correct or not.

I completely agree. If Haarberg starts at QB this year the Huskers are in deep trouble. Nebraska fans calling for Haarberg to start over Martinez have no clue whatsoever.

Too bad Gebbia left for whatever reason. I truly believe had he stayed (and gotten a legitimate fair shot) he would have taken over last year and be the starting QB going into this fall and Nebraska would be in a much better place.

People develop and improve, as well as teams and coaches. This bozo journalist has the luxury to take pot shots from a distance. If NU ends up with a successful season with a bowl game, then this denigrating click bait producer will probably not be around to eat his crow. The author has the right to their opinion, and NU has the opportunity to prove these naysayers wrong. We shall see on about December 1, 2021 whether this pessimistic cow pie thrower was correct or not.
But you are missing his point. He went year by year, using the stats and outcomes both individual and team wise to show a pattern. It is a little hard not to see, is it not? Sure, while things could suddenly turn around for AM and team and he could have the year of his life, the point the writer makes is the trend is the other direction.

To further his point, he points to the comments by coaches about a player who is starting his fourth year and is easily in the top 10 of returnees in the NCAA. The coach speak about changes and improvements combined with an abysmal record are bizarre by any standard.

Instead of fans being so hurt by writers comments, we should look at the reality of where we are at as a program. It's not the press who is at fault, it is a coaching staff who apparently is unable to get their collective acts together and the results how the field. Nebraska's record doesn't lie.

Too bad Gebbia left for whatever reason. I truly believe had he stayed (and gotten a legitimate fair shot) he would have taken over last year and be the starting QB going into this fall and Nebraska would be in a much better place.

If he had chosen to compete instead of leave and was actually any good, he would have had ample chances to take the job and run with it.

I will have to see this improvement before I believe it. Adrian was still making dumb plays in this year's spring game. When he gets pressured he makes bad plays. We had old family friends over for dinner Thursday night. His two aunts married men who played with TO from junior high through college in Hastings. He and his dad are big Husker fans. We were talking about Adrian. My friend said something to the effect that Adrian has the talent, but not the smarts to play Qb. I have to agree.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
So to summarize this thread, "blah, blah, blah.... blah, blah, blah blah." No offense, carry on by all means, but I'm looking forward to having something to actually talk about in 3 weeks. I'm excited because I think there are actually reasons to think Martinez and the offense might be better, but then again I'm also excited because I think this year we either win or Martinez gets benched for good and we move on.

Just stop. It's not up to me to recruit/coach. That's up to Frost. Can we at least agree on that? What you are seeing is a sign of a weak head coach. This we didn't have anyone else is sad. We're Nebraska. That used to mean something.
The two QBs he recruited in 2018 and 2019 were both 4 stars. The jury is really still out on them.

Also, and this is crucial, once Gebbia left the team just before the 2018 season began, Frost had no other option at QB but AM for the next 2 years. This would have been the case no matter who the coach was. In 2020 he made a change and we saw the results.

You give me a scenario that would have given us a better option than AM in 2021.

Reactions: bshirt73
And a better offensive line.
His stats are telling a different story than the outcomes.

I do strongly believe that some kids just win. I think it was Gabbert who had all the talent in the world but in HS just did not win that much, some kids just don't win, they just don't, for whatever reason (call it luck if you want), some QB's throw a pass that gets tipped and it gets picked, some do the same thing and it falls in the hands of their own WR for a first down.

AM completes a nice % (71% last season), he can run too.

I think you might see 68% completion, 3000 yards passing, 500 yards rushing and 30 total TD's.

The two QBs he recruited in 2018 and 2019 were both 4 stars. The jury is really still out on them.

Also, and this is crucial, once Gebbia left the team just before the 2018 season began, Frost had no other option at QB but AM for the next 2 years. This would have been the case no matter who the coach was. In 2020 he made a change and we saw the results.

You give me a scenario that would have given us a better option than AM in 2021.
You're still being defensive. This is Coach Frost's problem. Not mine. He failed to recruit/coach up a replacement for this loser. Why are you still defending?

Reactions: Agegoneby
Anyone not happy that AM started as a freshman is lying
His second year we all had a boner about him starting and guess what, FILM was out on him and his WR's got worse
Third year, no WR's at all and Mills got hurt
He will be just fine this year with legit WR's and a good OL and a defense.

Did he make the right choice not choosing Gebbia? Nobody will truly know, but odds are he likely would not have the program in a worse situation than it stands today.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
You're still being defensive. This is Coach Frost's problem. Not mine. He failed to recruit/coach up a replacement for this loser. Why are you still defending?
I'm defending because I want to. It's a free country.

Stockholm syndrome is truly a pathetic look

A kid who unanimously is thought to not even be a quarterback & now finds himself at rice went .500 as a starter (with Frost's best win at NU) while loser AM’s winning percentage wallows in the 30s.
Would you have liked to see Luke continue as QB? That or Smothers was Frost's only options in 2020. With Gebbia gone in 2018. AM was Frost's only choice in 2018 and 2019.
Is there another option you can think of?

Reactions: bshirt73
Gebbia maybe stays if Frost does not say the QB competition at that point was over and Martinez was his man. There is more to that and quite a few people on here know the whole story!

Reactions: bigboxes
Would you have liked to see Luke continue as QB? That or Smothers was Frost's only options in 2020. With Gebbia gone in 2018. AM was Frost's only choice in 2018 and 2019.
Is there another option you can think of?
Yes, recruit, coach, and develop better.

Reactions: bigboxes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT