ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Rushmore: Huskers players

Dec 21, 2020
Who you got? Here's my best shot at it:

Tommie Frazier
Arguably the most dominant stretch of CFB history belongs to? 90's Huskers. At the peak of that stretch, arguably the most dominant team in CFB history? '95 Huskers. Who's the face of that team? Tommie. Lots of talent on that team but I want one representative from it, and it's him. Tommie represents CFB domination, and for that he even deserves consideration for Mount Rushmore of all CFB too.

Ndamukong Suh
Suh represents individual domination and I consider myself lucky for getting to watch him at Nebraska. Multiple analysts have said if they could re-vote they'd select Suh for Heisman in '09 because he really was the best player in the country. Lasting images of Columbia in the rain, or pick-six with a stiff-arm of the coach's kid, or throwing Colt like a rag doll. Heck, you couldn't even look away for the opposing team's extra point attempt because there was always a chance Suh might block it. Dude was next level.

Johnny Rodgers
When listening about Husker greats, I often hear the terms "great", "amazing", or "one-of-a-kind". But for only one Husker have I heard the words like "legend" and "mythical", and that's Johnny Rodgers. Too young to really know, I only have to go with what I hear or can see on grainy film. Some of you may have better insight and suggest there were more talented players, but from how it's portrayed to me, Rodgers is Husker football royalty.

Dean Steinkuhler
You can't have a Mount Rushmore for Nebraska without representation from the offensive line. Steinkuhler is a Nebraska native who had an epic season in '83 which included the Fumblerooski in the title game. I like Steinkuhler here because it gives a nod to Mike Rozier, who could easily be on this list as well. Also gives a nod to T.O., who had the kahunas to go for 2 instead settling for a tie that would've given him a share of the title.

Tommie Frazier
Arguably the most dominant stretch of CFB history belongs to? 90's Huskers. At the peak of that stretch, arguably the most dominant team in CFB history? '95 Huskers. Who's the face of that team? Tommie. Lots of talent on that team but I want one representative from it, and it's him. Tommie represents CFB domination, and for that he even deserves consideration for Mount Rushmore of all CFB too.

Ndamukong Suh
Suh represents individual domination and I consider myself lucky for getting to watch him at Nebraska. Multiple analysts have said if they could re-vote they'd select Suh for Heisman in '09 because he really was the best player in the country. Lasting images of Columbia in the rain, or pick-six with a stiff-arm of the coach's kid, or throwing Colt like a rag doll. Heck, you couldn't even look away for the opposing team's extra point attempt because there was always a chance Suh might block it. Dude was next level.

Johnny Rodgers
When listening about Husker greats, I often hear the terms "great", "amazing", or "one-of-a-kind". But for only one Husker have I heard the words like "legend" and "mythical", and that's Johnny Rodgers. Too young to really know, I only have to go with what I hear or can see on grainy film. Some of you may have better insight and suggest there were more talented players, but from how it's portrayed to me, Rodgers is Husker football royalty.

Dean Steinkuhler
You can't have a Mount Rushmore for Nebraska without representation from the offensive line. Steinkuhler is a Nebraska native who had an epic season in '83 which included the Fumblerooski in the title game. I like Steinkuhler here because it gives a nod to Mike Rozier, who could easily be on this list as well. Also gives a nod to T.O., who had the kahunas to go for 2 instead settling for a tie that would've given him a share of the title.
Dave Rimington as the 4th

No way Crouch instead of Rodgers..
CriminalWindyIsopod-size_restricted.gif

Rogers
Bob Brown
Mike Rozier
McCathorn Clayton
(Ok, you know I was kidding on number 4....but there are dozens of qualified players)

Last edited:
Crouch's position in the discussion of all-time Husker greats is an interesting one. Clearly, he was a generational talent, but he finished his career with a Husker program that we all now know was clearly heading downhill despite making it to the national championship game his senior year. It would have been really intriguing to see what his career looked like surrounded by talent like Gill, Frazier and Frost had. At the same time, if he was surrounded by that talent, he likely never would have put up the stats that helped carry NU's offense and earn himself the Heisman that naturally makes him part of discussions like this.

Crouch was the best pure runner of any of the QBs we've had. Frazier was the best at running the option, though Frost in 97 was fantastic at it. Gill was probably the best all around player.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw

Tommie Frazier

Ndamukong Suh

Johnny Rodgers

Dean Steinkuhler

That's a hell of a list...Talk about hard to keep it at 4.

Just Heisman winners you would go...

Rodgers

Rozier

Crouch

Then after that how do you pick the fourth? Crazy thing is I wouldn't even go Heisman winners. At least not all of them lol. I'd safe myself by saying I'm only picking people that I actually watch play. So that would eliminate Rodgers lol.

Plus I don't even think Rozier is the best Husker RB (LP for me) BUT he IS the most accomplished so I'd have to choose him over LP if I went RB.

Also never seen Glover who many would tell you should be on the list. This entire thing is near impossible lol. So here goes nothing.

1. Rozier..Heisman winner and most accomplished RB in Husker history. Tough one for me because if you asked me to choose one RB to start my Husker team with I'd take LP and wouldn't think twice about it. But in THIS case I went with Rozier

2. Steinkhuhler...Tough one between him and Remington for me. Could've just flipped a coin. Will Shields honorable mention for me.

3.Frazier (tough because we had a Heisman winner who STATISTICALLY was better in Crouch). My reasoning was that intangibly Frazier brought something to that team they had missed before he set foot on campus. He brought that down south swag that teams like Miami and FSU had dominated us in bowl games with before our arrival. His aura on the field on those teams took them from THINKING they had a shot to KNOWING they could win. That was my way of justifying his selection. Although honestly just thought he was a better player.

4. Suuuuuhhhh...I'm sure I'll get pushback here but I honestly haven't seen a more dominating interior defensive player like he was as a Sr. Singlehandedly beat Texas in the Big 12 championship game...Yes I said it he BEAT them lol.

This is a virtually impossible to do but I took a swing. Nice post OP.

Holla

Reactions: HuskersVsTheWorld
Bob Brown played both sides of the ball and is in the NFL Hall of Fame and is deserving as Suh..

Hard to actually include people that you never seen play. The reason I didn't have the Jet on my list is that I didn't see him. Same with a guy like Glover who many say was unreal. How old would you have to be to seen Brown play at Nebraska?

The age demographic will play a huge part in these list. Old guys like that won't get much run I imagine. So some of you old geezers(not you specifically) are likely to be "ruffled" lol.

Holla

There are 5 names that should be on that list

Tommie Frazier as he is the only player in CFB history to be named MVP in 3 straight NC games including one that he was the losing QB his Sohomore year against Florida St where he matched Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward yard for yard and still considered by quite a few as the greatest QB in CFB history.

Bob Brown: 61-63 Unanimous 1st Team All American, CFB Hall of Fame, NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame

Will Shields: All American, Outland Trophy winner, CFB Hall Of Fame, NFL Pro Football Hall Of Fame

Dave Rimington: 2x All American, The only 2x Outland Trophy winner in CFB history, Has major award named after him and is considered the greatest Center in CFB History.

Johnny Rogers: 2x All American, Heisman Trophy winner and the biggest pain in the ass for opposing teams at a skill position DONU has ever had.

Hard to actually include people that you never seen play. The reason I didn't have the Jet on my list is that I didn't see him. Same with a guy like Glover who many say was unreal. How old would you have to be to seen Brown play at Nebraska?

The age demographic will play a huge part in these list. Old guys like that won't get much run I imagine. So some of you old geezers(not you specifically) are likely to be "ruffled" lol.

Holla
Good points and I was 6 years old when I seen Bob Brown play..Keep in mind most people don’t realize 2 platoon modern football didn’t start till the 1964 season.. He was huge back in those days playing on the line and had great feet..

As far as Johnny the Jet, he could DO it all receiver, return punts, kickoffs and even played I back in his last game in the Orange Bowl against ND.. He ran, caught and passed for TD’s that night…

Of all people no way you leave his name off he literally scared opponents every time he touch the ball back in those days..

Us old gezzers 😉seen the best Nebraska has had to offer during our glory years that has made this program a blue blood..

Good points and I was 6 years old when I seen Bob Brown play..Keep in mind most people don’t realize 2 platoon modern football didn’t start till the 1964 season.. He was huge back in those days playing on the line and had great feet..

As far as Johnny the Jet, he could DO it all receiver, return punts, kickoffs and even played I back in his last game in the Orange Bowl against ND.. He ran, caught and passed for TD’s that night…

Of all people no way you leave his name off he literally scared opponents every time he touch the ball back in those days..

Us old gezzers 😉seen the best Nebraska has had to offer during our glory years that has made this program a blue blood..

Yeah I knew Rodgers was a tough "leave off" when I mentioned it. Just hard to place someone in such high esteem when you only seen a couple old tapes and a few film clips.

I have this same problem when I leave guys like Jim Brown off my all time great RB list. I guess deep down I KNOW it's blasphemy but I've seen Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson etc with my own eyes. Just a hard thing to do ya know.

Holla

I don't care what you haters say about this. Crouch is on the monument. Love the sentiment on this board, though. We all love the BIG RED.

Crouch, Frazier, Rozier, Rodgers. I do like the nod to Suh. Too bad there is only four spots.

I don't care what you haters say about this. Crouch is on the monument. Love the sentiment on this board, though. We all love the BIG RED.

Crouch, Frazier, Rozier, Rodgers. I do like the nod to Suh. Too bad there is only four spots.
sorry I can’t agree with you on crouch jmo and I appreciate yours

Reactions: kakdawg
That's a hell of a list...Talk about hard to keep it at 4.

Just Heisman winners you would go...

Rodgers

Rozier

Crouch

Then after that how do you pick the fourth? Crazy thing is I wouldn't even go Heisman winners. At least not all of them lol. I'd safe myself by saying I'm only picking people that I actually watch play. So that would eliminate Rodgers lol.

Plus I don't even think Rozier is the best Husker RB (LP for me) BUT he IS the most accomplished so I'd have to choose him over LP if I went RB.

Also never seen Glover who many would tell you should be on the list. This entire thing is near impossible lol. So here goes nothing.

1. Rozier..Heisman winner and most accomplished RB in Husker history. Tough one for me because if you asked me to choose one RB to start my Husker team with I'd take LP and wouldn't think twice about it. But in THIS case I went with Rozier

2. Steinkhuhler...Tough one between him and Remington for me. Could've just flipped a coin. Will Shields honorable mention for me.

3.Frazier (tough because we had a Heisman winner who STATISTICALLY was better in Crouch). My reasoning was that intangibly Frazier brought something to that team they had missed before he set foot on campus. He brought that down south swag that teams like Miami and FSU had dominated us in bowl games with before our arrival. His aura on the field on those teams took them from THINKING they had a shot to KNOWING they could win. That was my way of justifying his selection. Although honestly just thought he was a better player.

4. Suuuuuhhhh...I'm sure I'll get pushback here but I honestly haven't seen a more dominating interior defensive player like he was as a Sr. Singlehandedly beat Texas in the Big 12 championship game...Yes I said it he BEAT them lol.

This is a virtually impossible to do but I took a swing. Nice post OP.

Holla
Rodgers
Rimington
Suh
Frazier

2nd
Rozier
Brown
Steinkuhler
Crouch

Reactions: kakdawg
Pure & simple! National Champions! Jerry Tagge, as started it all as the Qback! Johnny Roger's, nobody, and I mean no body created the excitment that Johnny did! Period! Tommie Frazier, a true Qback, unparalleled leading greatest team ever! Grant Wistrom! 3 NC rings and a super bowl ring! All those nice, but this is it, if selecting just 4!GBR

1. Bob Devaney: The man that really started it all, and brought Nebraska football back from the ashes. The Legend.
2. Tom Osborne: Hired by the Legend himself, the real reason why we have 5 National Title Trophies sitting in North Stadium.
3. Tommie Frazier: He was the guy that let us know we could beat the the very elite again, at a time when the game had supposedly passed us by. TO cried when he landed his signature, and he became the first true freshman starting QB just months later. He was a pure winner that had little concern for stats or personal accolades. Tim Tebow wore his number for a reason.
4. Ndamukong Suh: There have been many great OL/DL at Nebraska, but Suh was the most dominant (yes, including Rich Glover). I've never seen a DT that could control a teams entire offense in this modern age of football whether they run or pass. His 2009 season is statistically impossible when considering his constant drawing of double and triple teams. His snub of the Heisman is arguably the worst in college football history.

1. Bob Devaney: The man that really started it all, and brought Nebraska football back from the ashes. The Legend.
2. Tom Osborne: Hired by the Legend himself, the real reason why we have 5 National Title Trophies sitting in North Stadium.
3. Tommie Frazier: He was the guy that let us know we could beat the the very elite again, at a time when the game had supposedly passed us by. TO cried when he landed his signature, and he became the first true freshman starting QB just months later. He was a pure winner that had little concern for stats or personal accolades. Tim Tebow wore his number for a reason.
4. Ndamukong Suh: There have been many great OL/DL at Nebraska, but Suh was the most dominant (yes, including Rich Glover). I've never seen a DT that could control a teams entire offense in this modern age of football whether they run or pass. His 2009 season is statistically impossible when considering his constant drawing of double and triple teams. His snub of the Heisman is arguably the worst in college football history.
Huskers players

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT