ADVERTISEMENT

minn-iowa

Are there people in Iowa who routinely attend both Iowa and ISU games throughout a season?
Honest question.
I thought Hawkeye fans hated ISU and vis versa.
I doubt routinely but I don’t know how that would be relevant. The point is that 130,000+ fans bought tickets and attended college football in Iowa. If there were only one school, I would think getting 90,000 to attend a game would be no sweat...granted that team had decent to good history.

I’ve stated before that I think it’s amazing what Husker fans do. Selling out a spring practice is something that no one else comes close to. But to bash on Iowa or ISU for not selling out every game is off base, IMO.

I doubt routinely but I don’t know how that would be relevant. The point is that 130,000+ fans bought tickets and attended college football in Iowa. If there were only one school, I would think getting 90,000 to attend a game would be no sweat...granted that team had decent to good history.

I’ve stated before that I think it’s amazing what Husker fans do. Selling out a spring practice is something that no one else comes close to. But to bash on Iowa or ISU for not selling out every game is off base, IMO.
What Im getting at is....hasn't Iowa sold out their stadium before? It seems another poster used the excuse that there was also an ISU game going on and thought he meant that would take fans away from Iowas stands, which is why I asked if that was a thing.

If its not relevant, it then sounds like more of a Hawkeye fan problem than a state of Iowa/multiple teams problem. Unless Iowa has never sold out before, which I doubt.

Y’all are touchy about this, thats for sure.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
What Im getting at is....hasn't Iowa sold out their stadium before? It seems another poster used the excuse that there was also an ISU game going on and thought he meant that would take fans away from Iowas stands, which is why I asked if that was a thing.

If its not relevant, it then sounds like more of a Hawkeye fan problem than a state of Iowa/multiple teams problem. Unless Iowa has never sold out before, which I doubt.

I more meant that the state's population is divided as there is more than one large school in the state unlike Nebraska. I was at the Iowa game today and the stadium looked full to me. Not sure if it actually sold out.

Reactions: KinnicksRightFoot
I more meant that the state's population is divided as there is more than one large school in the state unlike Nebraska. I was at the Iowa game today and the stadium looked full to me. Not sure if it actually sold out.
You also have over a million more people in your state.

We have 61% of your population yet fill 69% of your teams’ total stadium capacity.

Leave Nebraska out of this. This is a Hawkeye fan problem.

Reactions: Grass Fed Beef

I see what you are saying. The fact that two games are going at once doesn’t factor in, like you are accurately stating. I was going in a different direction as I didn’t catch on to what you were saying.

He thought there was a boat down there and he wanted to row it.[/QU

We have 61% of your population yet fill 69% of your teams’ total stadium capacity.

Way more Husker fans live within a 2 hour drive of Memorial than Iowa or Iowa St fans live within Jack Trice or Kinnick. That is one of the main differences in not selling out. There are certainly other details,

however, Living around all three fan bases, I can honestly say they are all pretty damn loyal and hard core (and great people).

The one thing that Huskers might not understand here is that in Iowa there is pull to both sides. In Nebraska it is all Big Red. Most of us that do it right can embrace it and appreciate each other along the way. There just isnt anything different with Husker, Hawk, or Cyclone fans. We have WAY MORE IN COMMON!!!

Are there people in Iowa who routinely attend both Iowa and ISU games throughout a season?
Honest question.
I don't believe you will find many Iowans who regularly attend Iowa and ISU FB games in the same season but it seems many/most Hawkeyes wish the Cyclones well after the rivalry game (especially after we beat them). We actually admire the job their coach has done the past few years to make Iowa State competitive.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
I don't believe you will find many Iowans who regularly attend Iowa and ISU FB games in the same season but it seems many/most Hawkeyes wish the Cyclones well after the rivalry game (especially after we beat them). We actually admire the job their coach has done the past few years to make Iowa State competitive.

This. They beat Texas tonight. And Iowa beat them. Makes the whole state of Iowa look good. I know Texas got Nebraska’s goat so bad over the years it made the Huskers run away from their own conference, but Nebraska beat Texas before, I think? You guys get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73

Iowa has a pretty good record of sellouts and near sellouts over the past 40 years. There are a number of factors that chip away at game attendance on any given game for many schools - cost, the hassle of driving several hours each way to catch the game when you can "tailgate" at home with family/friends, other events like the Iowa HS state football and volleyball tournaments this week, weather, etc. Iowa has a strong and loyal fan base that travels well, which has gotten us into some better bowl games.

the boo was because they were out of timeouts and that was the only way to stop the clock. So everyone figured he went all Michigan State and faked it.
Why didn't Morgan return for fourth down if he wasn't really injured?

Iowa has a pretty good record of sellouts and near sellouts over the past 40 years. There are a number of factors that chip away at game attendance on any given game for many schools - cost, the hassle of driving several hours each way to catch the game when you can "tailgate" at home with family/friends, other events like the Iowa HS state football and volleyball tournaments this week, weather, etc. Iowa has a strong and loyal fan base that travels well, which has gotten us into some better bowl games.
Weather! This is going to be my third winter here. My dog, it's awful.

Honest question.
My best friend was at the texas isu game today.. yep hes a hawkeye.. says ISU is just a fun team to watch.. and thinks io a is boring and hates nate stanley the statue.. true story lol

Reactions: sandiegohawk
that's not trash talk, friend, just stating relevant facts.

defensive much?
Yes, Nebraska sold out and had attendance announced below capacity, ironically by about the same amount below capacity at Iowa- both stadiums looked great, sounded great, and what a stupid point of pride.

Reactions: timinatoria
From Fleck's explanation both observations are correct. Fleck did indeed tell Morgan to go down. There's video of him gesturing and screaming "Go down and stay down". So, from one point of view that looks like he's faking injury. But Fleck said he could tell Morgan was woozy, they had no timeouts, and he needed to get him out of the game. Why he couldn't have just subbed remains a mystery. Personally, I chalk it all up to poor game management by Fleck.

Today's lesson from Minnesota and Nebraska — it doesn't matter how many yards you put up on offense (431 for Minnesota and 493 for Nebraska) if you can't put it in the end zone.

Iowa looked like its old self after that first flurry. Good opening game plan from Boy Ferentz, but fewer than 100 yards in the second half. They relied on the good graces of Fleck's boneheadedness and a little Kinnick Magic.

Good to see the fans boo an injured quarterback at the end.

it’s a team sport. Iowa wasn’t noticeably different with their offensive approach, barely had the ball. Defensively, Iowa definitely kept everything in front of them particularly in the 2nd...this allowed a trailing team with very good receivers to have the ball almost the entire half . And Minny had 2 more possessions-opened and closed the 2nd with the ball.

Reactions: 9and4
the boo was because they were out of timeouts and that was the only way to stop the clock. So everyone figured he went all Michigan State and faked it.
No, it was an incomplete pass, they had no TOs, so a top passing QB had to leave the game for at least 1 play - 3rd and 25 play from inside the 15. It was just some fans, being fans- likely Iowa message board fans

No, it was an incomplete pass, they had no TOs, so a top passing QB had to leave the game for at least 1 play - 3rd and 25 play from inside the 15. It was just some fans, being fans- likely Iowa message board fans

Nope, Epenesa sacked Morgan. Only reason I remember is because the clock management was horrible. It looked like Morgan was hurt right away. The clock was running. Any fanbase would have booed because it did look like he took a dive but I do believe he was actually hurt.

Minnesota pulled a few truly spectacular final-drive-come-from-behind-last second-game-winning rabbits out of their hat this season. At Iowa, they ran out of rabbits. To their credit, they battled back from a 17 point deficit at Kinnick Stadium to set the stage for an encore performance. Iowa's D closed the curtain.

Personally, I hope Minnesota wins the West. Two reasons: (1) Minnesota looks like a much better match-up against OSU (if Morgan is healthy); and (2) screw Wisconsin.

Nope, Epenesa sacked Morgan. Only reason I remember is because the clock management was horrible. It looked like Morgan was hurt right away. The clock was running. Any fanbase would have booed because it did look like he took a dive but I do believe he was actually hurt.

They were a smattering of boos from fans-- uncalled for but not a stadium in America that doesn't happen in a situation like that. And I'd agree, I think Morgan was legitimately hurt-- Epenesa completely clocked him.

Legit injury or not, I do think the rules committee of college football needs to look into the clock stopping automatically when a player goes down in that type situation. The clock was at 1:07 remaining, and had Morgan not been down, which stopped the clock completely and it didn't start again until the new QB came in and took the next snap, I'm guessing 12- 15 seconds at least was saved for the Gophers on the clock because of the injury (worth 2 if not 3 extra plays) That can be amazingly crucial in a game as close as this was.

Last edited:
My best friend was at the texas isu game today.. yep hes a hawkeye.. says ISU is just a fun team to watch.. and thinks io a is boring and hates nate stanley the statue.. true story lol

and you think that's a big deal? I say you need to focus on your team, your program, which will likely now go 3 years in a row without a bowl game in a time where bowl games are awarded to about 2/3 of the teams every year. As far as that 'boring" Iowa team and bad QB, maybe you need to focus your team on finally being able to beat Iowa. Nate Stanley has no idea what it's like to lose to Nebraska now in his final year at Iowa. TRANSLATION: when you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

You have people on this board here calling your head coach Scott Fraud. Some wanting the current program blown up. Another TRANSLATION FOR YOU: For every one finger you point, be careful, two can come back on you.

Reactions: mmotto
You saw Fleck motion for him to go down didn’t you? You also saw the exchange between Morgan and Fleck once he was on the sideline right? I don’t agree with the booing but it wasn’t completely innocent.

Reactions: 9and4

As stated, it’s not like you have huge pooulation bases packed together. It’s also not like you have one team in CB and the other in Iowa City. If you had another FBS school 2.5 hours west of Lincoln, you don’t think it would affect Nebraska? Btw, it’s also a national problem, not just Iowa.

Fleck is really young for a college football head coach so I hope he will now have learned how quickly you gotta move on from a big win and trun the focus to the next game. If they lose to WI then that Penn State win becomes pretty meaningless since they failed to close out on Iowa. They should beat NW.

You’re right

Was at the game, qb was fine walking around and then all of sudden dropped to ground. Watched dvr later and you see Captain Dbag Flexk telling his qb to go down. Pretty obvious why fans were booing, myself included. Bush league danantnio style.

Reactions: mmotto and 9and4

Dude, Nebraskans are obsessed by the Huskers-- it goes beyond simple support of the program. It's why you've fired so many football coaches and ADs in recent years because you don't think they win enough football games. It's why Tommy Frazier spraining his ankle in practice one day way back in the day and it being the lead story on the local 6:00 broadcast. It's why some here already want to run Frost out of town. That my friend is a Nebraska problem-- leave Iowa out of it.

Reactions: mmotto
Dude, Nebraskans are obsessed by the Huskers-- it goes beyond simple support of the program. It's why you've fired so many football coaches and ADs in recent years because you don't think they win enough football games. It's why Tommy Frazier spraining his ankle in practice one day way back in the day and it being the lead story on the local 6:00 broadcast. It's why some here already want to run Frost out of town. That my friend is a Nebraska problem-- leave Iowa out of it.
umad.gif
LaughingLaughing

None of that has anything to do with why Iowa struggles to fill their stadium even for a top ten game as a ranked team.

And judging by the fact that you Iowa idiots are always stalking our board, I’d say Nebraska fans arent the only ones obsessed with Nebraska.
Frankly, if y’all cared as much about the Hawkeyes as you do Nebraska, you just might fill that stadium.

Heres the part where you dont go away but swear we’re the weird ones :rolleyes:.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT