ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey

nostromo78

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 29, 2021
Something about this dude just hits different. I don't know the guy, never met him, but for some reason (aside from being a big NU fan) I am pulling hard for him. I can see why he is one of the best recruiters in the nation because even at 43 years young, Im ready to strap up and hit somebody for him. He has a calm confidence about him. The tone of his voice is right, he answers questions without the garbage coach speak. Maybe its the ego of Frost and Pelini that we heard for so long that makes him such a breath of fresh air, or the perceived incompetence of Riley. Mickey just seems like he understands the task at hand more than the other guys.

He may never get the job, and may fail here miserably, but its just been nice to have a guy like that in charge. Finally. Was waiting years for old Frost to man up and be a leader, but he just never did. I would love to see him succeed and be the face of our program.

Something about this dude just hits different. I don't know the guy, never met him, but for some reason (aside from being a big NU fan) I am pulling hard for him. I can see why he is one of the best recruiters in the nation because even at 43 years young, Im ready to strap up and hit somebody for him. He has a calm confidence about him. The tone of his voice is right, he answers questions without the garbage coach speak. Maybe its the ego of Frost and Pelini that we heard for so long that makes him such a breath of fresh air, or the perceived incompetence of Riley. Mickey just seems like he understands the task at hand more than the other guys.

He may never get the job, and may fail here miserably, but its just been nice to have a guy like that in charge. Finally. Was waiting years for old Frost to man up and be a leader, but he just never did. I would love to see him succeed and be the face of our program.
I fully agree with you. Loved him as a QB way back although he could barely throw the ball more than 20 yards but he was a great runner. We need a guy born in the South where all the talent resides. He can connect.

Reactions: headcard
Love his attitude. From what I heard post game after that whacking, it sounds like he's still got lots to learn. Unfortunately we just spent 4+ years with a guy learning on the job.

Ideally, he stays on with me HC hire and could maybe take over several years later.

Mickey is 54 years old, not 43. He's not a young coach.

I like him, but this program can't afford another coach who is learning on the job. We need someone who has a proven track record of building a program.

I’m the wet blanket on Mickey. I really like him also, but can we just give this a minute before we all decide to give him the job? We can not afford to take a chance on someone. I don’t see it happening.
I think right now we are in the honeymoon period with Mickey

Everything he says is music to our ears...if he calls out a reporter, we love it, if he backs a player, we love it, if he cans a coach, we love it.

Totally normal that it would be that way right now.

Yeah, I dont think he will end up being the coach, unless something crazy happens. I just hope he stays on staff and I can understand the hype surrounding the guy as a recruiter.

He has a 3 year contract and is telling recruits he's gonna be around no matter what.
Maybe he's an assistant head coach/WR coach? That's a tricky deal. If he interviews for the job and doesn't get it, it would be tough for both sides to keep him on. But you never know. Personally, I think he has a chance if we win at least three more games and the quality of our play gets noticeably better. He doesn't have much HC experience, but he would have 3/4 of a season here under his belt. The guy has great recruiting connections and I like his fire.

The big question to me would be what kind of staff could he lure in? If Mickey tells Trev that he would bring in a couple outstanding coaches to lead the offense and defense, that would make him a tough candidate to beat out.

I’m the wet blanket on Mickey. I really like him also, but can we just give this a minute before we all decide to give him the job? We can not afford to take a chance on someone. I don’t see it happening.
The OU game was also an impossible example to evaluate Mickey on. We’ll see if Busch can run some type of Little Giants trick D to get through this puss filled Boyle of a year

Maybe he's an assistant head coach/WR coach? That's a tricky deal. If he interviews for the job and doesn't get it, it would be tough for both sides to keep him on. But you never know. Personally, I think he has a chance if we win at least three more games and the quality of our play gets noticeably better. He doesn't have much HC experience, but he would have 3/4 of a season here under his belt. The guy has great recruiting connections and I like his fire.

The big question to me would be what kind of staff could he lure in? If Mickey tells Trev that he would bring in a couple outstanding coaches to lead the offense and defense, that would make him a tough candidate to beat out.
Benning mentioned something along the lines of MJ will have first right of refusal to stay in the same spot. He also made it seem like MJ doesn't really want to be the permanent HC.

Since the defense improving will essentially be the sole reason that MJ would get the job - do we also hire Busch as def coordinator.

I like Mickey and all but he's 0-1 with a blowout loss with a team that hadn't been blown out in 3 years.

Reactions: NebChicago
Since the defense improving will essentially be the sole reason that MJ would get the job - do we also hire Busch as def coordinator.
I think Busch would be very happy being retained as the Special Teams coordinator or even an analyst. He very much wants to stay in Lincoln

Reactions: mgbreis
I almost feel like MJ is in a bad spot. He is more than likely not getting the job and then, it would be really hard to keep him on staff if you are the new guy..."Hey...so you are no HC anymore but do you want to be the WR coach?"

And how does that go over in the locker room?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Mickey is 54 years old, not 43. He's not a young coach.

I like him, but this program can't afford another coach who is learning on the job. We need someone who has a proven track record of building a program.
I’ve decided that these kind of comments (mine included) need to end with names of coaches that fit the bill.

Reactions: scarletred
I almost feel like MJ is in a bad spot. He is more than likely not getting the job and then, it would be really hard to keep him on staff if you are the new guy..."Hey...so you are no HC anymore but do you want to be the WR coach?"

Fickell did at Ohio State, he was interim head coach for a year, then went back to being an assistant under Urban.

Reactions: BleedRed78

And you’d also be forcing him on the next coach.

He might not want the permanent HC position. Seems like he and Trev have an understanding if what's next for MJ and Nebraska.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I agree, despite my affinity for the man, I’m not really entertaining him as a HC option right now….. unless….
Like @JabroniBlvd said, if he pulls out 5 more wins from here on out, I could change my tune.

Something about thProbably because he sounds just like actor Terrence Howard.is dude just hits different. I don't know the guy, never met him, but for some reason (aside from being a big NU fan) I am pulling hard for him. I can see why he is one of the best recruiters in the nation because even at 43 years young, Im ready to strap up and hit somebody for him. He has a calm confidence about him. The tone of his voice is right, he answers questions without the garbage coach speak. Maybe its the ego of Frost and Pelini that we heard for so long that makes him such a breath of fresh air, or the perceived incompetence of Riley. Mickey just seems like he understands the task at hand more than the other guys.

Probably because he sounds just like actor Terrence Howard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT