ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Joseph

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Whats with the rumors going around that he is coming to Nebraska as WR coach?
I like the Mickey Joseph thing. Had no idea he was a Nebraska guy. Starting QB 1990. So he has those Nebraska ties that every loves. Which means he might stick around awhile.
He has 2 of the top 5 WR in the country for total receiving yards. Has tons of experience and have heard he is a great recruiter. However, prior to the last 3 years at LSU he hasn't coached anywhere of relevance. Prior to this year his last 2 years at LSU he didn't have a single WR in the top 50.

I like the Mickey Joseph thing. Had no idea he was a Nebraska guy. Starting QB 1990. So he has those Nebraska ties that every loves. Which means he might stick around awhile.
He has 2 of the top 5 WR in the country for total receiving yards. Has tons of experience and have heard he is a great recruiter. However, prior to the last 3 years at LSU he hasn't coached anywhere of relevance. Prior to this year his last 2 years at LSU he didn't have a single WR in the top 50.
If he can get us WRs like Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson. 2 first round draft picks. Hell ya. There are rumors floating around about this happening.

And you didn't know he was a former Husker? Turn N your Husker card!! :eek:Winking

One thing that impressed me most about the LSU wideouts is their physicality. That is something that is needed badly here. I'm sure he'll kill it in recruiting too due to the success of Chase and Jefferson. We need to bring Mickey home.
Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. The extra yards they work for, the doing everything possible to tight rope the sideline and get a few extra yards. The not going down the second someone touches them.

I find it interesting the rumors are all from Husker fans not LSU fans.
Meanwhile Troy Walters is still working for NU. The only way Joseph leaves LSU is for an OC job and a pay raise. Obviously he isn't going to get the OC job at LSU and I don't see us starting a bidding war for a WR coach with LSU. I don't see this happening unless Walters gets a head coaching job somewhere and I don't know of any attractive jobs for him out there right now.

For those too young to remember, Mickey Joseph was a Parade All American QB coming out of high school. Back in the day, that was the equivalent of a 5 star recruit. Hype around his signing was on par with Tommie Frazier. Relatively disappointing career given the hype surrounding him - I think he started his jr year, but lost the job his senior year to Keithen McCant. Too undersized to withstand the rigors of the option offense.

Walters is still liking tweets from Huskers players/recruits. Why does everyone think he's leaving? And why would Joseph leave the National Champs, in home state, to come here? I guess if we pay him Walters' salary, I could see it.

Walters is still liking tweets from Huskers players/recruits. Why does everyone think he's leaving? And why would Joseph leave the National Champs, in home state, to come here? I guess if we pay him Walters' salary, I could see it.

Would be to replace Walters. Would be given his salary and the "OC" title as well. But you're right, hearing a lot of noise on this board but zero elsewhere.

For those too young to remember, Mickey Joseph was a Parade All American QB coming out of high school. Back in the day, that was the equivalent of a 5 star recruit. Hype around his signing was on par with Tommie Frazier. Relatively disappointing career given the hype surrounding him - I think he started his jr year, but lost the job his senior year to Keithen McCant. Too undersized to withstand the rigors of the option offense.
Not only undersized, but he wasn’t an accurate passer, and I’m trying to be kind here...

I believe scarletred posted the rumor that Walters had cleaned out his desk and had left the building. Not sure where he got it. There were also a couple of RSS members that graced us with "he gone". It used to be posting coaching rumors earned you points. I think that's where I got some of mine for a couple of posts I made in jest about Mizzou a long time ago. Apparently one of the mods at the time wass suffering a terrible case of PMS.:Cool:

Not only undersized, but he wasn’t an accurate passer, and I’m trying to be kind here...
EXTREMELY twitchy though. He was a jitterbug like we watched last night. OU hit ruined him. There's an article from 90 in the OWH about how he was FOUR steps out of bounds when he got nailed by an OU tackler. Basically ended his career with that hit which took him I think in to a metal bench.

EXTREMELY twitchy though. He was a jitterbug like we watched last night. OU hit ruined him. There's an article from 90 in the OWH about how he was FOUR steps out of bounds when he got nailed by an OU tackler. Basically ended his career with that hit which took him I think in to a metal bench.
Yup. The hit into the metal bench gashed the shit out of his leg. Many stitches.

Last edited:
I believe scarletred posted the rumor that Walters had cleaned out his desk and had left the building. Not sure where he got it. There were also a couple of RSS members that graced us with "he gone". It used to be posting coaching rumors earned you points. I think that's where I got some of mine for a couple of posts I made in jest about Mizzou a long time ago. Apparently one of the mods at the time wass suffering a terrible case of PMS.:Cool:

Yes I did and it’s what I heard and how do you know if Walters desk isn’t cleared out..

Let’s wait and see what unfolds now that the National Title game and season is over..

Yes I did and it’s what I heard and how do you know if Walters desk isn’t cleared out..

Let’s wait and see what unfolds now that the National Title game and season is over..
I believe you. But it still is rumor until someone of substance says otherwise.

Bottom line is we don’t know. So you’re right, let’s see what unfolds. If nothing changes, your source may not be as connected as you thought.

Yes and McCant led us to the Big 8 title and over the sooners that season. Maybe we should hire him over Joseph. Remember we got Corey Raymond (LSU) because he killed it as a recruitier too. How did that work out?

This could be totatl unrelated, but Damon Benning put out a tweet yesterday day directed at Steve sipple. Saying something like, "I know you are hanging out at the stadium today, no news is good new right?" Many assumed this to mean that no news is because Frost was waiting to make the Mickey announcement until after the LSU game.

A couple of those kids are lightening fast as well. The team speed of those 2 teams is sickening.

This is what I have been saying. There are major differences in talent. I honestly don't know the recruiting rank of the LSU receivers coming out of HS. But give me a kid who has their athletic abilities at 6'4" versus one who is 5'9". I am not bashing smaller guys, just saying not all 4* are created equal. There were plays last night that only those elite WRs could make.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I believe you. But it still is rumor until someone of substance says otherwise.

Bottom line is we don’t know. So you’re right, let’s see what unfolds. If nothing changes, your source may not be as connected as you thought.

I thought he coached here a year or two and left because he wanted to get back down south. Maybe my memory is faulty on this.

I remember watching this. One of the worst late hits I ever witnessed. Gouged his thigh on the metal bench badly.

Any validity to this? Looks like he knows how to coach WRs AND recruit them. I'll be all for this. Just a lot of smoke and nothing happening

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT