Mickey Joseph

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by husker2612, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Newbomb_Turk1

Newbomb_Turk1 Walk On
    Expand Collapse

OU LB Reggie Barnes is who hit Mickey out of bounds and drove him into the OU bench. Slid into an aluminum bench and suffered a severe cut to his lower leg. His calf muscles were cut to the bone, and he required a 1.5 hour surgery that night in Lincoln to repair the damage. Was one of the more unusual injuries i can remember as he was bleeding badly and OU trainers there were able to stabilize him until the Husker trainers made it across the field.
    Nebraska tanked after that play and OU gave TO his worst loss ever. NU went onto the Citrus Bowl vs #1 Georgia Tech and lost big again. In the 2nd half of that game NU game on with Mitchell/Hasse to put up a fight. The Unity Council was born out of the ashes of that season and the rest is history.

2. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

LSU had some shorter WRs too but they were lightening fast. They made Spielman look like a TE speed wise.

oldjar07 likes this.
  3. oldjar07

oldjar07 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

The recruiting services severely underrate taller receivers I'd take a good 6'4 receiver over a good 5'9 receiver any day.

4. sky402

Expand Collapse

New to this but Mickey Joseph followed Thomas Fidone (huge Husker target) this morning on twitter. Fidone also holds a LSU offer, but quite a coincidence.
    https://twitter.com/daboot02/following

5. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

I remember watching them with my dad when I was maybe 4 or 5. I remember wanting them to win. I can't say I really remember the players until Frazier era and forward. Yes I know the big name names.

Clemke32 likes this.
  6. oldjar07

oldjar07 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Would be a downright coup to get him as a receivers coach from the national title team. I think that's what is going to happen, though I think an OC role would be a good hire as well.

John_J_Rambo likes this.
  7. gomerxx

gomerxx Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Still remember the banner headline: "Mickey's a Husker!"

Baxter48 likes this.
  8. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

He also follows Brian Christopherson, Mike Schaefer, Sam Mckewon, Sean Callahan. Not sure if it is recent follows or if he has been following for awhile. If recent that would be a good indicator he could be N

48 husker2612, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  9. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

The guy was a great option QB but that leg injury dramatically reduced his quickness. He was lucky he didn't lose his foot due to the arterial damage. I don't know if he had any permanent nerve damage or not from that cut.

saluno22 likes this.
  10. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Well he is a Husker alum and close to a lot of former Huskers. May be nothing more than that.

husker2612 likes this.
  11. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

spinner4 and sky402 like this.
  12. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Wow, it seems a lot of you younins on here were still poopin green when some of us old farts were basking in the glory of the early days of Bob and Tom. Yes, we have seen it all. :)

13. TheBeav815

TheBeav815 Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Mickey getting shoved into that bench is one of my earliest memories of NU football. And unfortunately so is NU getting killed by GaTech. That was where a lot of it started with the staff realizing they were built to win the Big 8 but they couldn't hang with the elite teams' athletes.

Among the major switches were going to the 4-3 defense and altering their DB recruiting strategy so that they weren't just putting the guys who couldn't crack the depth chart at RB back at corner.

14. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Funny, both of those are lasting memories for me too. Getting over the hump and winning big games and championships was an often painful struggle.

15. redwine65

redwine65 All-American
    Expand Collapse

I always seen breaking charlie thomsons leg, during the final play in 88 as some payback for that.

Nov. 19, 1988 In a 7-3 loss to Nebraska at Owen Field, Thompson suffers a broken leg. He finishes the season with 824 yards and nine touchdowns and is OU's leading rusher.

Dec. 19, 1988 The NCAA places OU on three years' probation for "major violations" involving improper benefits cars, cash and airline tickets to recruits and players.

Feb. 13, 1989 Thompson is arrested for conspiracy to distribute cocaine after helping sell 17 grams of cocaine to an undercover agent on Jan. 26. He later pleads guilty and is sentenced to two years in federal prison in August 1989.

Feb. 27, 1989 Sports Illustrated features Thompson on its cover, clad in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs, under a headline reading: "OKLAHOMA: A SORDID STORY. How Barry Switzer's Sooners terrorized their campus."

55 redwine65, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  16. shocksker

shocksker Walk On
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I only remember his leg injury against OU, ran into the bench and it was bad. I also remember every time my cousin would make a bad throw playing catch his brother would say "nice throw Mickey". To which was always replied, "thanks Vance". I was also 9 maybe 10.

17. cubsker

cubsker Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I know I watched and listened before, but that injury is probably the first thing I really remember happening. Second would be snowballs in boulder and 19-19.

TheBeav815 likes this.
  18. Truehuskerfan

Truehuskerfan Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, getting shoved into the metal bench is the first and pretty much only thing I think of when I think of Mickey Joseph. Can't really think of any memorable plays he was involved in. Came in with a lot of hype and didn't live up to it.

19. Dean Pope

Dean Pope Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Yes, he had a disappointing career no doubt. He was really more of a wishbone QB. Would have fared better playing for a team that threw about four times a game. But I do believe his career was affected by an injury at Stillwater.

20. saluno22

saluno22 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

After watching that clip, I kind of wish OU would use the Sooner Schooner as the injury cart. Seems redundant and wasteful not to. :D

timnsun likes this.
  21. saluno22

Expand Collapse

Might have been the coldest game (windchill wise) Nebraska ever played.

Incidentally, Mickey and his brother Vance both got into the game at QB in that game: Mickey for NU behind Keithen McCant, Vance for Colorado as a sophomore behind Darian Hagan. Kordell Stewart was a freshman on that team.

Fun fact: Darian Hagan, Colorado's senior starter at QB, was also their punt returner (averaged 11.5 yards on 25 returns). Crazy to think of today.

Nebraska had 4 senior QBs that season: McCant, Joseph, Tom Haase, and Mike Grant. Grant redshirted that year, and started in 1992 until an injury allowed Tommie Frazier to start at Missouri.

22. SLOHusker

SLOHusker Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

That would be a great hire. He's very popular and well known in Louisiana which, per capita, is the best state in the country for producing NFL talent.

23. Lars72

Lars72 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Damn that was a cold nasty day!

HBK4life likes this.
  24. Trumplestiltskin

Expand Collapse

If I remember correctly he had small hands also that affected his ability to throw and such.

25. MikeRileyGBR

MikeRileyGBR Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I distinctly remember him not even having hands which hindered his ability to be QB

26. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

He might have lived up to the hype without the injury. He was never the same afterwards. His whole game was his quickness and ability to run the option which made the play action go.

saluno22 likes this.
  27. mel mains

mel mains Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I was along the sidelines that day when his leg snapped, just 20 yards away. Nasty. SI cover in handcuffs a few months later as I recall?

scarletred and redwine65 like this.
  28. grayhairedfreak

grayhairedfreak Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

IMO, Keithen McCant was the greatest Husker QB most Husker fans have never heard of. Would have loved to see him get to start more than 1 season; same for Gdowski.

29. redwine65

redwine65 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Gdowski defines a diamond in the rough

30. goldencohusker

Expand Collapse

Agreed. Gdowski was much better known because of his high school success in NE. McCant was an out of state kid who hardly saw the field until his senior year when he was all BG8. Looking back that 1988 QB roster was pretty stacked. Steve Taylor, then Gdowski who would would be the '89 BG8 offensive player of the year, and McCant who would be the '91 1st team BG8 QB. In todays, world probably either Gdowski, McCant, or both would have transferred instead of waiting until their senior year to get their chance to shine.

grayhairedfreak likes this.
  31. Oldie but goodie

Expand Collapse

So it looks like Moorehead going to LSU as OC. Maybe this helps us with Mickey or maybe there isn't even a job open.

32. Buckman01213

Buckman01213 Walk On
    Expand Collapse

33. saluno22

Expand Collapse

It's a shame Gdowski didn't redshirt.

That being said, our schedule in 1989 was incredibly weak. Nebraska played just two ranked teams (Colorado and Florida State) and lost to both (21-27 and 17-41, the latter being an absolute ass whooping). (Note: Oklahoma was on probation and finished 7-4; we beat them 42-25 in Lincoln.)