ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Lubick new OC at Nevada.

chubba listed as the backup going into fall camp

I won’t be surprised if he plays well at Nevada and ends up as an UDFA signee when he’s done with college. He is in fact a talented guy.
it will take a serious injury to their starter for him to play at all

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
watching Chubba at NU I saw a young Brock at ISU. Same skill set with a few mind numbing mistakes early in their careers. Great kid that any decent human being should want to see succeed
chubba at NU was in years 3 and 4 of his career (early, LOL)

brock had already thrown for 6,000 yards and 40+ TDs by year 3 at ISU

give it up already. he'll have a soft landing in the family spa business.

I did a little campaigning for Purdy last fall. But I have to agree with Kong here.

Reactions: king_kong_
watching Chubba at NU I saw a young Brock at ISU. Same skill set with a few mind numbing mistakes early in their careers. Great kid that any decent human being should want to see succeed
Chubba Purdy, Tristan Gebbia, and many others in today's era of college football seem to just have wasted away their college careers transferring around from place to place. They will never know what could have been. It's easy to say that this guy or that guy was never good enough. But much of the time success in anything in life is about working hard and just sticking with it. Opportunities will come eventually.

At some point kids and their advisors will realize that since there are so many transfers these days with everyone expecting to start at their new school, it's actually a better move for them not to move at all. Stay put and keep working hard.

Reactions: RedBaloneyPony

I can't prove you wrong here. But who is to say that Chubba wouldn't have had a pretty decent career if followed a similar path as his brother. Instead of going to Florida State and transferring multiple times, what if he had picked a mid level school to play in the right system for a coach who believed in him and then just stayed there?

I can't prove you wrong here. But who is to say that Chubba wouldn't have had a pretty decent career if followed a similar path as his brother. Instead of going to Florida State and transferring multiple times, what if he had picked a mid level school to play in the right system for a coach who believed in him and then just stayed there?
This would have been the best route for him. Go to a non-Power 5 school and get developed and win the job or just accepted that he wasn't that good coming out of HS and really let someone develop him at a school. He had a shot, just isn't good and lacks the arm that a Power 5 QB should have and is a turnover machine.

Reactions: king_kong_
Me. I am here to say that.

He’s at Nevada now. A lower than mid-level school.

And he’s still in line to hold a clipboard. As a 5th year super senior.

It’s okay to be a bad college qb. At least he got to try it.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I can't prove you wrong here. But who is to say that Chubba wouldn't have had a pretty decent career if followed a similar path as his brother. Instead of going to Florida State and transferring multiple times, what if he had picked a mid level school to play in the right system for a coach who believed in him and then just stayed there?s
or maybe if he had gone to a school like ISU where he was going to be the man for 4 years with a head coach that coached to his strengths. He was put in some awful situations at NU and barely ran our offense in practice last fall. It will be interesting to see what he can do at Nevada because they're in transition with a new staff too.

This would have been the best route for him. Go to a non-Power 5 school and get developed and win the job or just accepted that he wasn't that good coming out of HS and really let someone develop him at a school. He had a shot, just isn't good and lacks the arm that a Power 5 QB should have and is a turnover machine.
the rub there is that he was a STUD in high school. Go look at his numbers. He suffered multiple injuries starting in Florida and continuing at NU. IMO, he's one of those stories that could be "what could have been" if he flops at Nevada. The kid had a world of talent as a recruit.

the rub there is that he was a STUD in high school. Go look at his numbers. He suffered multiple injuries starting in Florida and continuing at NU. IMO, he's one of those stories that could be "what could have been" if he flops at Nevada. The kid had a world of talent as a recruit.
There a lot of studs in high school that couldn’t do squat at the college level. So that means nothing.

What else do we have? He got some limited action at FSU and a little more action at NU. He flashed in a few drives, which gave us hope at the QB spot when we were desperate. But he had an equal number of deer-in-the-headlights moments with some ugly turnovers, and he never won a game for us.

Maybe if he would have been happy to settle down at one spot with a stable coaching staff, he would have been significantly better after 3-4 years. Or maybe not. We will never know.

Reactions: leodisflowers
There a lot of studs in high school that couldn’t do squat at the college level. So that means nothing.

What else do we have? He got some limited action at FSU and a little more action at NU. He flashed in a few drives, which gave us hope at the QB spot when we were desperate. But he had an equal number of deer-in-the-headlights moments with some ugly turnovers, and he never won a game for us.

Maybe if he would have been happy to settle down at one spot with a stable coaching staff, he would have been significantly better after 3-4 years. Or maybe not. We will never know.
Nailed it.

I know there is always this "well, if he is in the right system" or "if the coach plays to his strengths" bit...BUT

More times than not...it is just that the player is not all that good.

Clearly there are major exceptions like square peg round hall type of thing...

What’s your boner over the spikey haired backup who threw picks when we needed completions? He would’ve been a nice backup here, nothing less nothing more.

He played for 3 HC's, an interim HC, and 4 OC's. He doesn't have it. If his brother played band at ISU instead of qb, Chubba would probably be in FCS right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT