ADVERTISEMENT

Masry Mapieu

Huskers5105

Walk On
Sep 23, 2009
Watched him play in person last night at his game against Elkhorn South and quite frankly, I have no freaking idea why he has a scholarship offer to Nebraska. He doesn't fire off the ball and just seemed lazy out there. With his size he should be dominate out there, especially with a scholarship to a power 5 school and he was pretty much a non factor in the game.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Watched him play in person last night at his game against Elkhorn South and quite frankly, I have no freaking idea why he has a scholarship offer to Nebraska. He doesn't fire off the ball and just seemed lazy out there. With his size he should be dominate out there, especially with a scholarship to a power 5 school and he was pretty much a non factor in the game.

I hope Nebraska can hire you as the new recruiting director.

Getting blown off the ball by 5'10 lineman is not good what ever way you try to spin it. Never claimed to be a recruiting expert but I know what it looks like when a kid is getting their tail whipped and when they loaf around the field.
No, you obviously claim you know more than our coaches. You have made the declaration that he is not worthy of a scholarship. I'm sure everybody on this board was just waiting for your expert analysis. How dare our coaches not ask your expert opinion. What were they thinking? I think we're all just waiting with baited breath for your insightful analysis of all of our recruits, because it's obvious you are the real recruiting expert here. Every recruiting offer we make should go through you.
There was one reason and one reason only you shared this-it's pure arrogance so you can impress everybody with your knowledge. Ever since I have been on this board, at least one person comes on this board and watches one of our recruits and claims to not be impressed. You can always expect it. I could have staked my life on what this thread was about because it happens every year. It's always for said fan to impress everybody with how they really know more than the coaches. Well guess what, we're not impressed with you or your "I'm smarter than the coaches" schtick.

Last edited:
Watched the Williams kid from Southeast Last night. The kid can play. I think Wisconsin got a good one.

Please ignore the fact that Elkhorn south has so many players they dont play both ways like the York kids. The whole York team wore down.

Masry was actually disruptive early, he is not a speed rusher, but collpased the pocket nicely.

Also they could not run on York early, Masry was plugging the middle as expected. He's not going to wow you with stats, most nose guards don't.

That said, he looks faster at his new weight. He's a big dude man, he's not going to be sprinting 15 yards downfield every play. When he gets gassed, he tends to lose his leverage and get too tall off the ball.

Masry will be a project at NU, which is ok. He has time to learn, get stronger and develop mentally and physically. He has what you can not teach and that is a huge frame, long arms, and a work ethic.

He'll be just fine at NU, but he'll be a 2nd half of career contributor, which I think we would all prefer on our lines.

Please ignore the fact that Elkhorn south has so many players they dont play both ways like the York kids. The whole York team wore down.

Masry was actually disruptive early, he is not a speed rusher, but collpased the pocket nicely.

Also they could not run on York early, Masry was plugging the middle as expected. He's not going to wow you with stats, most nose guards don't.

That said, he looks faster at his new weight. He's a big dude man, he's not going to be sprinting 15 yards downfield every play. When he gets gassed, he tends to lose his leverage and get too tall off the ball.

Masry will be a project at NU, which is ok. He has time to learn, get stronger and develop mentally and physically. He has what you can not teach and that is a huge frame, long arms, and a work ethic.

He'll be just fine at NU, but he'll be a 2nd half of career contributor, which I think we would all prefer on our lines.
Thank you for actually analyzing instead of just looking for a reason to question the offer and trying to impress everybody with your insightful analysis.

Reactions: Mtnhusker
But he is in-state. So you know he has more heart than others. If only he was White you would be overwhelmed with admiration.
Imagine if he was from an even smaller town...maybe one that had some recent issue or tragedy...imagine if his great grandpa was a former walk-on. Man...This kid would be one giant huge heart with a football helmet.

No, you obviously claim you know more than our coaches. You have made the declaration that he is not worthy of a scholarship. I'm sure everybody on this board was just waiting for your expert analysis. How dare our coaches not ask your expert opinion. What were they thinking? I think we're all just waiting with baited breath for your insightful analysis of all of our recruits, because it's obvious you are the real recruiting expert here. Every recruiting offer we make should go through you.
There was one reason and one reason only you shared this-it's pure arrogance so you can impress everybody with your knowledge. Ever since I have been on this board, at least one person comes on this board and watches one of our recruits and claims to not be impressed. You can always expect it. I could have staked my life on what this thread was about because it happens every year. It's always for said fan to impress everybody with how they really know more than the coaches. Well guess what, we're not impressed with you or your "I'm smarter than the coaches" schtick.

You sir post with pure arrogance. I simply stated what I watched last night. Never once claimed to have more knowledge than the coaching staff or claimed to be an expert recruiting analyst. I simply expect a 6'4 300lb DT with power 5 offers to be way more dominate than what I witnessed. Especially if he is going to come play for our huskers.

You sir post with pure arrogance. I simply stated what I watched last night. Never once claimed to have more knowledge than the coaching staff or claimed to be an expert recruiting analyst. I simply expect a 6'4 300lb DT with power 5 offers to be way more dominate than what I witnessed. Especially if he is going to come play for our huskers.
I post with arrogance? Wow-that's rich. Stop saying you didn't claim to have more knowledge than the coaching staff, because why else would you make the comments that you did if you didn't think you knew more than they did? Not only do you obviously think your analysis is better than theirs, but you don't even have the guts to admit that's what you're saying. If you had even the slightest bit of respect for our coaches analysis, you would just acknowledge they probably know more than you-something that you obviously can't or won't do, because it requires you to humble yourself just a little bit.
Like I said, I've seen your type before. Every single year, somebody goes to a game involving one of our recruits and comes back and says you weren't impressed. You can always expect it. Most of the time, I think they go with the full intention of not being impressed. For all I know you're the same arrogant know-it-all who has pulled this stunt in the past. Maybe this year we've finally got our yearly "I don't know why recruit X has an offer" post out of the way already.

Man some of you are sensitive. Dude watched a game and wasn't impressed, he's not claiming to be an expert, he's relaying what he saw. He's just trying to start a conversation about it, he's not shitting on the player or the coaches, good god.
Well, he's not being very complimentary either. If you read his OP, he kind of is crapping on the player for his lazy play, and the coaches for offering him a freaking scholarship.

So I guess I disagree with your assessment here.

Man some of you are sensitive. Dude watched a game and wasn't impressed, he's not claiming to be an expert, he's relaying what he saw. He's just trying to start a conversation about it, he's not shitting on the player or the coaches, good god.
Yes, he is doing all of that. He is claiming he has expert analysis above our coaches(why else would he make those comments if he didn't) and implictly criticizing the player and the coaches for giving him an offer. Obviously you think all of that is OK. I don't.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yeah that's true, he seemed to be unimpressed compared to what he expected to see. I think the reaction far outweighed the original assessment and if you had to be on the coaching staff to discuss recruits or players on the team this board would be worthless. Just seems like any sense of negativity or disagreement gets you labeled a wannabe expert or in love with Bo. It's possible to think we have a great staff that recruits and identifies recruits well without thinking they're infallible.

Yeah that's true, he seemed to be unimpressed compared to what he expected to see. I think the reaction far outweighed the original assessment and if you had to be on the coaching staff to discuss recruits or players on the team this board would be worthless. Just seems like any sense of negativity or disagreement gets you labeled a wannabe expert or in love with Bo. It's possible to think we have a great staff that recruits and identifies recruits well without thinking they're infallible.
No problem with this.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
For all we know maybe he had an off night (sick, injured, who knows) all I stated is that from what I watched last night I didn't believe he was worthy of a scholarship offer. I left unimpressed with his play. I do not see anything wrong with that what so ever. You took it and completely blew it out of proportion. That's ok though. My feelings aren't hurt.

For the record I love Mike Riley and am glad Bo is gone. I'm also not an expert recruiter. Just a fan that watches a ton of football and played at a high level NAIA program. Nothing special here nor do I claim to be.

Last edited:
For all we know maybe he had an off night (sick, injured, who knows) all I stated is that from what I watched last night I didn't believe he was worthy of a scholarship offer. I left unimpressed with his play. I do not see anything wrong with that what so ever. You took it and completely blew it out of proportion. That's ok though. My feelings aren't hurt.
With all due respect, that's not how your original post sounded.

Coaches have seen him up close and did an in depth eval. Have to trust them.

It will be fair to evaluate the staffs eval in 3-4 years. Particularly since they decided to not offer Williams while Wisconsin offered Williams and not Mapieu.

Devoid of injuries, time will tell. Have to give the edge to the Neb staff as they would have more indepth info on the 2 given their proximity to Lincoln versus the Wisconsin staff.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yes, he is doing all of that. He is claiming he has expert analysis above our coaches(why else would he make those comments if he didn't) and implictly criticizing the player and the coaches for giving him an offer. Obviously you think all of that is OK. I don't.

No, it is not that at all. It is like not liking a movie that a movie critic gives "two thumbs up"

He is wondering why there is hype about the "movie" when he saw it and didn't like it.

You are the same guy that freaks out when the "experts" say NU won't be great this year or the other year...you call them out and say they don't know anything.

Just chill out. He saw a game...didn't think what he saw was all that great and posted about it.

Yeah I supposed I could have worded things differently. I was expecting a lot more than what I saw is pretty much what it comes down to. For a guy that has a scholarship to Nebraska I expect them to stand out much more.
It always seems to be non-skill players that people claim to be unimpressed with. I think too many people for whatever reason expect too much from them. There's a reason why coaches don't base their evaluation of players off of one game.

ab1a42f8c4b67d61a018696aeff11741.jpg

You guys are funny. The guy went to a game and wasn't as impressed as he thought he was going to be and suddenly the Calvary comes in claiming this guy is arrogant? Sensitive much? Btw as an Iowa fan the fact you guys are going to a 3-4 and your NT is a project makes me smile.

Agree with a lot of this. The last I knew Elkhorn Public Schools had 8600 students K-12 and the entire City of York had about 7800.

It was JMHO, but I felt last year Elkhorn South would have beat at least half the class A teams, and they truly don't belong in Class B (and probably won't be next year).

I expected someone to make a post about this even before the game. I remember watching Jerald Foster and Luke Gifford play their senior year and was less than impressed with what I saw on the field, and look where they are now. So I'm not too worried.

If I interpreted a couple of other posts accurately he is a parent, fan or has another association with Elkhorn South. So that also factors in a little.

Not really any bias. I like Elkhorn public as my brother went there. I do now like to see south do well as Moses Bryant is my cousin. But everything I said about the kid from York is just from me watching the game! Heck I want the kid to be an animal! He's going to play for my huskers! I just came away unimpressed with the way he played. He took a lot of plays off.

Reactions: ssmill777
Not really any bias. I like Elkhorn public as my brother went there. I do now like to see south do well as Moses Bryant is my cousin. But everything I said about the kid from York is just from me watching the game! Heck I want the kid to be an animal! He's going to play for my huskers! I just came away unimpressed with the way he played. He took a lot of plays off.

Better off just owning the bias. It's cool we all have it.

You guys are funny. The guy went to a game and wasn't as impressed as he thought he was going to be and suddenly the Calvary comes in claiming this guy is arrogant? Sensitive much? Btw as an Iowa fan the fact you guys are going to a 3-4 and your NT is a project makes me smile.

Given you are a hawk - I'm wondering where that 400lbs kid that played in Iowa ended up -- didn't he commit and decommit to Iowa something like 3-4 times?

Hahaha. Yeah his name is Juan Harris and he ended up at Indiana. I dont remember exactly how it ended up but he commited and decommited a couple times. I think the staff were wanting to work with him because he had a rough home life but he ended up being ALOT of drama. Time will tell for Juan. He was definitely talented but there was talk of him taking plays off at the end as well. The talk right now is AJ E. will end up inside eventually from 2017 and this year we picked up Noah Shannon, from ILL, alot of people are high on. I think we looked at Masry(sp) and the DT from Lincoln, Williams, (I think sw) that ended up at Wiscy. I think we are happy with Noah but IMO Williams was the best of them and seemed to have some nastiness to him. It's all about development though and honestly Juan Harris was probably the most athletic of them but he was a serious headcase.

EDIT: AJ E. is by far the most talented player mentioned above he just might not end up inside and may play DE his whole career. Significantly more talented than the level recruit Iowa usually starts with but he is a legacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: michael p moriarty
Agree with a lot of this. The last I knew Elkhorn Public Schools had 8600 students K-12 and the entire City of York had about 7800.

It was JMHO, but I felt last year Elkhorn South would have beat at least half the class A teams, and they truly don't belong in Class B (and probably won't be next year).

I expected someone to make a post about this even before the game. I remember watching Jerald Foster and Luke Gifford play their senior year and was less than impressed with what I saw on the field, and look where they are now. So I'm not too worried.

I always laugh when my friends from Gretna and Elkhorn post on FB about their kids' team success. Taking financially advantaged kids from Omaha and defeating out-state schools with less than half the student population isn't that great of an accomplishment.

It reminds me of Cosmo Kramer's judo career.

For the record, I lived in GI and the one time I saw Rathman play I was surprised he got a Husker offer. I watched Brook Berringer all through high school and one of his HS coaches said he would never play at Nebraska. Those both turned out pretty well. But then, Tom had an eye that most dont.

There's nothing wrong with being critical of his play in Nebraska Class B football. He should be dominating up front. Lots of football ahead so we'll see. Funny how he's rated about the same or slightly ahead of what Deontre Thomas was last year. No comparison there! Thomas was a little smaller I guess. Can't wait to see the D-train take over games the next few years! Always knew that kid was WAY underrated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT