ADVERTISEMENT

Masry Mapieu

You guys are funny. The guy went to a game and wasn't as impressed as he thought he was going to be and suddenly the Calvary comes in claiming this guy is arrogant? Sensitive much? Btw as an Iowa fan the fact you guys are going to a 3-4 and your NT is a project makes me smile.

Daniels says Hi

You guys are funny. The guy went to a game and wasn't as impressed as he thought he was going to be and suddenly the Calvary comes in claiming this guy is arrogant? Sensitive much?
It wasn't the fact that he said he wasn't impressed that bothers people.

It's when he says, "I have no freaking idea why he has a scholarship offer to Nebraska" and "he seemed lazy" is what's making him sound like a dick.

If I interpreted a couple of other posts accurately he is a parent, fan or has another association with Elkhorn South. So that also factors in a little.

I have zero to do with Elkhorn, other than I think their obsession with class B is really lame, and I have nearly the same evaluation.

Reactions: newAD
Yes, he is doing all of that. He is claiming he has expert analysis above our coaches(why else would he make those comments if he didn't) and implictly criticizing the player and the coaches for giving him an offer. Obviously you think all of that is OK. I don't.

Wow. Impressive leap.

And, for what its worth, the coaches have already watched the film and they may be having a talk with him about his effort. If it was evident, they will be all over it, for whatever reason. Ability is one thing, effort is something else.

I don't think there is any doubt Williams is the better player right now. Dosent mean it will stay that way, but the big guy from York has some developing to do. Of course our stafff knew that when they offered him.

Hasn't it been stated here as well that Williams was not a huge Husker fan, having moved here a couple of years ago? Who's to say he would have come even with an offer?

Did we offer him a scholarship? Don't think we did, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess if the coaches got the impression he wasn't going to be N, why waste the energy?

I also can recall some of my buddies that played against Jared Crick, basking in there success against him. Mind you those players were much smaller than Jared Crick, however they were coached much better and don't think a Nebraska kid won't get amped up to play against a future Nebraska player and play out their minds.

I also can recall some of my buddies that played against Jared Crick, basking in there success against him. Mind you those players were much smaller than Jared Crick, however they were coached much better and don't think a Nebraska kid won't get amped up to play against a future Nebraska player and play out their minds.

Crick was a completely different player in college vs HS. To even compare the 2 is a joke.

Getting blown off the ball by 5'10 lineman is not good what ever way you try to spin it. Never claimed to be a recruiting expert but I know what it looks like when a kid is getting their tail whipped and when they loaf around the field.
I read this same game report for the Davis twins when they were in high school.

Hasn't it been stated here as well that Williams was not a huge Husker fan, having moved here a couple of years ago? Who's to say he would have come even with an offer?

Did we offer him a scholarship? Don't think we did, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess if the coaches got the impression he wasn't going to be N, why waste the energy?
FWIW, this is from an article on Williams from a couple of months ago:

Williams, a 247Sports 3-star defensive tackle and the No. 2 player in Nebraska in 2018, told Land of 10 this week he recently spoke with coach Mike Riley, who told him the Huskers won’t be offering Williams a scholarship.

“They told me why they aren’t going to end up offering,” Williams said, declining to go into detail. “So interest is gone from them.”

Williams, the No. 49-rated defensive tackle in his class, holds 14 scholarship offers, including from Iowa, Iowa State and Kansas State.

One reason why Nebraska might not be very interested in Williams could be supply and demand: the Huskers took three defensive tackles in their 2017 class and have 3-star DT Masry Mapieu already committed in 2018.

And, for what its worth, the coaches have already watched the film and they may be having a talk with him about his effort. If it was evident, they will be all over it, for whatever reason. Ability is one thing, effort is something else.

I guarantee coach Snodgrass was not happy with what he saw from him and I'm sure he will get it straightened out. On another note, Snodgrass' kid that is a JR for the dukes was an absolute man on the field. He will be fun to watch the rest of the year and next year. Very good player.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
For the record, I lived in GI and the one time I saw Rathman play I was surprised he got a Husker offer. I watched Brook Berringer all through high school and one of his HS coaches said he would never play at Nebraska. Those both turned out pretty well. But then, Tom had an eye that most dont.

You must have watched a different Rathman then I did. Though he graduated a couple years before me he was a hell of an athlete and a very very good football player. Now the fact he was destined for fullback and even with GI being a running team he did not get a lot of action. Probably under utilized at the time. The Nebraska offer didn't surprise me at all.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The kid is 300 lbs playing both ways, my effort would be shit at times too. Almost everyone's would be at that weight.

Snodgrass will get an offer some time soon IMO. The best football player on York is Otte right now but Snodgrass and Mapieu project a lot better to D-1. Snodgrass will be the best prospect out of York since Aaron Golliday back in 1997ish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Isn't that the point of this thread? To help fans understand that a player is recruited based on potential?
nick-young-confused-face.jpg

The kid is 300 lbs playing both ways, my effort would be shit at times too. Almost everyone's would be at that weight.

Snodgrass will get an offer some time soon IMO. The best football player on York is Otte right now but Snodgrass and Mapieu project a lot better to D-1. Snodgrass will be the best prospect out of York since Aaron Golliday back in 1997ish.

Yes Otte was doing pretty well before he got hurt. Hope he recovers quickly.

Remember when you said...

Crick was a completely different player in college vs HS. To even compare the 2 is a joke.

That was my point, Masry will be a completely different player at Nebraska.. much like Crick. Players that get offered on potential... that are raw.. are not going to look all world in high school. That much should be obvious, and the take away from a misinterpretation of what potential looks like for a "Nebraska recruit," is that potential doesn't mean high school dominance.

Remember when you said...

That was my point, Masry will be a completely different player at Nebraska.. much like Crick. Players that get offered on potential... that are raw.. are not going to look all world in high school. That much should be obvious, and the take away from a misinterpretation of what potential looks like for a "Nebraska recruit," is that potential doesn't mean high school dominance.

One was a DE and 255 lbs that became a DT at 285 lbs, the other is a NT and 300 lbs. And probably not moving to a 4-3 DE end type any time soon.

Your friends are probably liars. Jared pretty much dominated HS football at Cozad, and there wasn't much people could do against him and that was when he was only about 245 playing TE and all over the D-Line. Their coach was terrible, but its always hilarious to here people after the fact come out and said they had so much success against good players. 1 play maybe, but if that is what you are going on... Lol. There may be other examples where this is the case, but Crick was not one of them.

Shhhhhhhh you can't say that either. I was blasted for the same.
If he never plays a down in red it still will have been worth it for the recruiting doors it opened. I think he got a case of senioritis once he committed and everything was pretty well set. He'll either figure out he needs to work his butt off to be a big, possession WR or he'll join a long list of dudes who don't have it like daddy did.

Meanwhile, NU will keep all its inroads in CA.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
For the record, I lived in GI and the one time I saw Rathman play I was surprised he got a Husker offer. I watched Brook Berringer all through high school and one of his HS coaches said he would never play at Nebraska. Those both turned out pretty well. But then, Tom had an eye that most dont.
I know this is a bit off the subject, but I really hope this is the case with Brady Heiman on the basketball team!

Geez, why are people jumping on the OP? He just shared what he saw out there!
I thought it was pretty clear in people's responses... it wasn't what he shared, it was the method in which he shared.

It's pretty ironic that you would question why people are jumping on him, considering how often you jump on others for sharing their opinions...

In fact, I probably just opened myself up to a nasty response from you...

Reactions: LZZOSO and HuskerO
In fairness to OP, Whose recruiting judgement to trust more Wisconsin or the NU staff. We passed on Williams, I'll be dammed if Williams is motivated and does great things at Wisconsin while our in state DT flops around for 5 years.

The OP said nothing about Williams or Wisconsin. So this has nothing to do with who's recruiting evals you trust more.

Again had he said we should have recruited Williams over Mapieu that would be a different argument. All he did was make a determination on a player based on 1 game against the state's top class B team, which happens to be the team his nephew plays on. A nephew that doesn't have a Nebraska offer yet.

Hey quick question. How many high school football games does each team play a season in Nebby?

Edit:13 games this year for York. So the OP saw less than 10% of his season. Probably a little early for judgments but he saw what he saw.

Last edited:
Hey quick question. How many high school football games does each team play a season in Nebby?

Edit:13 games this year for York. So the OP saw less than 10% of his season. Probably a little early for judgments but he saw what he saw.

9 regular season games. This is also not my fist time watching him play. I saw him play 2 different times last year. I just kept my mouth shut on my judgement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT