ADVERTISEMENT

Martinez's backwards pass.

Is it really that hard for you to understand why people might be putting him on a pedestal? We haven’t seen quarterback play like this since maybe Joe Ganz … Probably earlier than that even. But yeah, bag on the 18-year-old kid because he isn’t perfect. Good on you.

One other insight I would share with you… We are 2-7 right now, but it’s not because of Martinez. He has been what gives us hope moving forward. People tend to post good things about those kinds of players and overlook some of the negatives.

TM was more electrifying but ok.....

2 losses lay at his feet easy

He kind of belongs on that pedestal. I don't understand what your problem is with the kid. He made a bad decision which was then compounded when Spielman failed to catch a ball that he was clearly in position to receive. Spielman was the pitch man so how could he have not expected to have the ball come his way???

Not one ounce of blame goes to Spielman there. He was obviously expecting him to eat it or throw it away

Reactions: oldjar07
So you're okay with Spielman quitting on the play? I'm done with you. You're what the ignore feature was made for.

For a the talk about his bad of a decision it EAS how come no one brings up the fact that the ball hit the recieving in the hands and he dropped it? Should have been a loss not a turnover...

Because you should never throw a backwards pass unless you're attempting a gimmick play. The fact that the incomplete pass was called a live ball and the opposing team recovered it should be more than adequate explanation on why the word "never" was used in my first sentence.

So you're okay with Spielman quitting on the play? I'm done with you. You're what the ignore feature was made for.
Spielman didn't quit on the play. I think he was as shocked as we were and I don't think he was looking for the ball. Martinez threw a bullet at his belly and he didn't catch it. It was an unfortunate freshman mistake that AM won't repeat. I've been waiting for that moment all year long and it finally happened. He's played very well this year and Spielman is one of our best players. Poor play design and poor execution by everybody involved.

In my opinion he had one of his poorer games of the year. Even so we were able to hang with Ohio St.
Your opinion is wrong...he completed 67% of his passes, had 2 tds...nearly 350 yards of total offense, on the road at the Ohio State University. He also had a td dropped..would have added another 65 yards, and coach frost ran the ball 11 times out of 17 plays in the 3rd quarter...3 of the 6 passes coming from inside his own endzone. I would say the WRs had their worst day of the season, with several key drops. IMO Minnesota was one of AMs worse games because he was inaccurate on many throws but his WRs bailed him out and Minnesota's secondary had no idea what they were doing.

And for the record, there are a lot of players to be excited about. JD, Mo, some of our young offensive linemen, Mo Barry, Bootle, JoJo...

But the QB is the face of the program, and right now, 3/4 of America wish they had our QB.

9.5/10 wish it...he is the best in the Big 10 already...and being so young, big and strong...he should have been a 5 star last year and it took multiple shoulder surgeries and an entire missed football season to drop him to a 4 star.

Spielman didn't quit on the play. I think he was as shocked as we were and I don't think he was looking for the ball. Martinez threw a bullet at his belly and he didn't catch it. It was an unfortunate freshman mistake that AM won't repeat. I've been waiting for that moment all year long and it finally happened. He's played very well this year and Spielman is one of our best players. Poor play design and poor execution by everybody involved.
Bruce implied that Spielman quit on the play, not me. For some reason the guy just has a problem with Martinez. I said right off the bat that Martinez made a bad decision and that wasn't good enough for him.

TM was more electrifying but ok.....

2 losses lay at his feet easy
I’ll take AM now over TM at any point in his career, but that’s me.

2 losses? Really? Wow, what did he do to you?

It’s a team sport, and he has done so much more good than bad, that I don’t know how you can possibly blame AM for 2 losses this year.

You are on fire. Keep bringing these hot takes, I need some more mind boggling insights.

The kid was going to make mistakes, we all knew that. Hell, many upperclassmen make mistakes of their own, it’s a part of the game. Martinez is a playmaker who tries to make things happen. He’s also a true freshman who doesn’t have the experience of knowing what his best option is. All I know is what you are out of your ******* mind if you find Martinez as an issue here.

He’s been getting national attention all season long for a reason and it’s not because he’s commanding a 2 win team.

One thing is for certain, barring injury he’s going to be a damn problem in the B1G.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. Spielman was back there waiting for a pitch or a pass and when the ball came to him he muffed it. There was no reason for Spielman to be where he was other than to get the ball. He sure wasn't out there blocking for Martinez.
He was drawing defenders away from other areas of the field and there probably was enough of a running lane for Martinez to pick up a couple yards. That play was all on Martinez. I thought he had a good geme though.

It’s a team sport, and he has done so much more good than bad, that I don’t know how you can possibly blame AM for 2 losses this year.

You are on fire. Keep bringing these hot takes, I need some more mind boggling insights.
TM was better than Ganz. I don't know if Adrian is better than Taylor at this point, but if he's at least as good as he was I'll be happy.

Reactions: Bruce1981
For a the talk about his bad of a decision it EAS how come no one brings up the fact that the ball hit the recieving in the hands and he dropped it? Should have been a loss not a turnover...

It was a bad decision that should have been made a moot point by JD catching the ball. JD didnt have his best game Saturday.

holla

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun
It was a bad decision that should have been made a moot point by JD catching the ball. JD didnt have his best game Saturday.

holla
JD just didn't seem to be zoned in on that play, on a simple drop when we were trying to get breathing room out of the end zone, or on the big drop where he completely alligator armed it. The kid is a stud but Saturday it just wasn't his day.

Reactions: kakdawg
I think JD gave up way too much ground on the play - I believe that play calls for the pass to the flat very early in the development of the play. AM gave all indications that he was running the ball - as soon as that happened JD should have either held his ground or started blocking - instead it seemed that he continued to give ground, giving the appearance of being wide open because he was too far back from the LOS. He dropped the pass because he was shocked that the ball was thrown to him that late in the play.

As I said - I don't like that play call at the 10 yard line as things are too congested

I think JD gave up way too much ground on the play - I believe that play calls for the pass to the flat very early in the development of the play. AM gave all indications that he was running the ball - as soon as that happened JD should have either held his ground or started blocking - instead it seemed that he continued to give ground, giving the appearance of being wide open because he was too far back from the LOS. He dropped the pass because he was shocked that the ball was thrown to him that late in the play.

As I said - I don't like that play call at the 10 yard line as things are too congested
Where JD was at was as good as a block as far as if he thought Martinez was going to run the ball. It drew defenders away from the area where Martinez had a chance to run or even throw deeper down the field if there was a guy running a crossing route. That play was all on AM. He had a chance to pick up a couple yards with his feet or throw it away, but chose a very risky late backwards pass instead. That's just a freshman boneheaded mistake.

i swore i saw room around the outside to tuck it & run...granted he would have had to make a man miss.....had a blocker downfield & an opening if he'da stuck his foot in the ground & cut up field around the edge.....anyone else see it that way?

Where JD was at was as good as a block as far as if he thought Martinez was going to run the ball. It drew defenders away from the area where Martinez had a chance to run or even throw deeper down the field if there was a guy running a crossing route. That play was all on AM. He had a chance to pick up a couple yards with his feet or throw it away, but chose a very risky late backwards pass instead. That's just a freshman boneheaded mistake.
Who is saying it wasn’t AM’s fault? Seriously. Everyone in this thread agrees it was a stupid decision by AM.

But that doesn’t mean JD shouldn’t have caught it. Even if he wasn’t expecting it he needed to be ready for it.

100% bad decision by AM but JD could have bailed him out.

i swore i saw room around the outside to tuck it & run...granted he would have had to make a man miss.....had a blocker downfield & an opening if he'da stuck his foot in the ground & cut up field around the edge.....anyone else see it that way?

Nah, there wasn't much room. No way that ball should've been thrown.

he will learn when to bounce outside and when to turn up field and get an extra 2-3 yards.

Both he and Washington, after initial gains, have a tendency to start running laterally leaving an extra 2-3 yards on the table. Particularly frustrating when those extra yards would have resulted in a first down. We also have a tendency to get out of bounds a yard or two in front of the first down marker as well.

Interested to know how much the staff want AM to get after those extra yards vs not taking big hits

There was a lot of room on the edge thanks to JD Spielman. If AM would have ran with it, he would have picked up a couple yards at least. And all he had to beat was the safety, and with his size there's a good chance he breaks it for a touchdown. That should have been a run all the way.

There was a lot of room on the edge thanks to JD Spielman. If AM would have ran with it, he would have picked up a couple yards at least. And all he had to beat was the safety, and with his size there's a good chance he breaks it for a touchdown. That should have been a run all the way.

I watched that play a little while ago....no, there wasn't much room to run. Even if 2AM ducks it up he still goes down for a loss unless he did something truly remarkable.

Unfortunately, 2AM made a bad decision, and JD had his first of few puzzling plays on the day when he fumbled the lateral.

I watched that play a little while ago....no, there wasn't much room to run. Even if 2AM ducks it up he still goes down for a loss unless he did something truly remarkable.

Unfortunately, 2AM made a bad decision, and JD had his first of few puzzling plays on the day when he fumbled the lateral.
I watched it again too and he had plenty of room if he just gets by one defender. And with as big and strong as Martinez is, he wasn't going down for a loss unless he hesitated for no reason. It would have been at least a 2 yard gain and with the safety coming in at an angle, there's a good chance AM breaks it and walks in for the touchdown.

A healthy TM was an incredible weapon. "Nobody" had acceleration like that......but AM is a superb weapon too. The other thing they have in common is a marginal defense. TM's defense was horrible and so has AM's defense.

But AM's defense is showing improvement.......something TM's defense never did. But anyways, both of those qbs are/were just bloody awesome. If I could magically pick between those two it's a coin flip.

A healthy TM was an incredible weapon. "Nobody" had acceleration like that......but AM is a superb weapon too. The other thing they have in common is a marginal defense. TM's defense was horrible and so has AM's defense.

But AM's defense is showing improvement.......something TM's defense never did. But anyways, both of those qbs are/were just bloody awesome. If I could magically pick between those two it's a coin flip.
TM's defense, although they weren't great was a lot better than AM's defense has been. People must find it difficult to compare the performance of a 9-3 season vs a 2-7 season. It's not even comparable. We were better in almost every way during the TM era than we are this year.

No question, TM before his injury was electric. He was so much fun to watch. Was never the same after the injury…

TM was better than Ganz. I don't know if Adrian is better than Taylor at this point, but if he's at least as good as he was I'll be happy.
ummm... Give me Adrian Martinez over Taylor Martinez seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Are you watching the same football games that I am? Adrian Martinez is a legit NFL quarterback.

Pocket Presence = AM
Decision Making = AM
Arm Strength = AM
Accuracy = AM
Size = AM
Speed = TM <<< And I'm not 100% on this one

Reactions: Sinomatic
ummm... Give me Adrian Martinez over Taylor Martinez seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Are you watching the same football games that I am? Adrian Martinez is a legit NFL quarterback.

Pocket Presence = AM
Decision Making = AM
Arm Strength = AM
Accuracy = AM
Size = AM
Speed = TM <<< And I'm not 100% on this one

Taylor had better top end speed. But Martinez is a better runner, imo.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I watched it again too and he had plenty of room if he just gets by one defender. And with as big and strong as Martinez is, he wasn't going down for a loss unless he hesitated for no reason. It would have been at least a 2 yard gain and with the safety coming in at an angle, there's a good chance AM breaks it and walks in for the touchdown.

He had room for a couple of yards if he would have cut upfield immediately after the fake to the RB, but 1) you can't say that he would have broke a tackle and housed it, way too much speculation, and 2) you don't know that the play was designed for him to run at that point. The 2nd option may have been the pass to JD.

Anyhoo, it was a bad decision and JD fumbled the ball. Turned out poorly

It's sad that there is a minority of idiots in the fan base that dislikes the kid and blames all the problems and losses on him.

We aren't close to winning that game with out 2AM, and we probably are 0 for the year with out him, seeing how Vedral played against BC.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
Adrian Martinez is imho about 10x the passer Taylor Martinez was at this stage of their careers. Not to mention he will only get better. He may not have the straight line speed of TM but he is a much more complete player than TM. The backwards pass was just a boneheaded freshman mistake and he admitted as much in the press conference afterwards. AM has got to be considered the top or one of the top 3 freshman QBs in the country.

He had room for a couple of yards if he would have cut upfield immediately after the fake to the RB, but 1) you can't say that he would have broke a tackle and housed it, way too much speculation, and 2) you don't know that the play was designed for him to run at that point. The 2nd option may have been the pass to JD.

Anyhoo, it was a bad decision and JD fumbled the ball. Turned out poorly

It's sad that there is a minority of idiots in the fan base that dislikes the kid and blames all the problems and losses on him.

We aren't close to winning that game with out 2AM, and we probably are 0 for the year with out him, seeing how Vedral played against BC.
I thought AM played very well against OSU, minus this costly play. Doesn't matter if it wasn't designed that way. JD was covered while AM had an opening. AM has taken plays that looked a lot more hopeless than that, and extended them and gained another 10 yards. An undersized safety was the only guy that could stop AM and he was coming in at an angle. There's a very good chance AM would have broke the tackle and housed it. And it wasn't cutting upfield that would have gained a couple yards because that's where all the defenders were. There was a ton of room on the edge and Martinez had already beat all but maybe one defender to the edge.

Was just watching "Not Top 10" on ESPN and we got some pub from the "pass" and some more from the "non-side kick". That's 20% of the program folks. Rather it was "Top 10".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT