ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Banker says Diaco is "full of it"

I get the whole "he called him out, so he went and got a response" thing....but did ya really have to go get a response? Aren't we all smart enough to know banker wouldn't say, "finally someone called me out on my crappy tackling drills and coaching"?

I get the whole "he called him out, so he went and got a response" thing....but did ya really have to go get a response? Aren't we all smart enough to know banker wouldn't say, "finally someone called me out on my crappy tackling drills and coaching"?

True....rugby tackling blows. Face up, head across the ball, and wrap. I know that by 'new' standards, tackling isn't taught that way, but I think it sucks. I still keep teaching the 'old school' way.

And that he is just "making excuses" in trying to blame Banker for this year's poor tackling.
Man, when the wheels come off there just ain't no way you can keep driving
He said nothing about Banker Why call Banker he said administrative ,AD may have changed tackling. If any of those two Sam Or Sipple are claiming that tackling was awesome two years ago,and Diaco is lying. Seriously did They watch any games last three years Seriously our all us fans imagining this Idea of poor tackling. Did we all imagine his News Paper going too great lengths to describe the Rugby tackling ,and Seattle using this in the NFL? SMDH, WOW!!

Reactions: headcard
True....rugby tackling blows. Face up, head across the ball, and wrap. I know that by 'new' standards, tackling isn't taught that way, but I think it sucks. I still keep teaching the 'old school' way.

Says someone who doesn't know a damn thing about rugby and tackling in rugby.

He said nothing about Banker Why call Banker he said administrative ,AD may have changed tackling. If any of those two Sam Or Sipple are claiming that tackling was awesome two years ago,and Diaco is lying. Seriously did They watch any games last three years Seriously our all us fans imagining this Idea of poor tackling. Did we all imagine his News Paper going too great lengths to describe the Rugby tackling ,and Seattle using this in the NFL? SMDH, WOW!!

I am certainly not one of those grammar police guys, but please at least use a period so we can get a clue what you are saying.

Says someone who doesn't know a damn thing about rugby and tackling in rugby.

Laughing....let's play......you first.....

I should edit my previous comment, however. Rugby style tackling I DO teach for open field tackling. Where are you at, though?

Last edited:
This coaching staff is like dropping a spool of welding wire.. How in the hell do you manage to get the wire back on to the spool?

Laughing....let's play......you first.....

I should edit my previous comment, however. Rugby style tackling I DO teach for open field tackling. Where are you at, though?
When the original discussion about rugby style tackling was going on during the Banker regime, I pointed out that the purpose of a tackle differed in rugby and football and that I was not at all certain that rugby tackling translated to many circumstances in football. So before you say rugby tackling blows you try tackling a US Eagle coming straight at you with a full head of steam and that outweighs you by 80 pounds and doing it without any padding. I have. You do that and you are entitled to say rugby tackling blows.

Tim, Sip is probably King Hack, but I really don't have a problem with him getting a statement from Banker.

For what purpose? All it does is create more drama that isn't needed. Their time is limited. This coaching staff has done everything we'd want, except win games (priority #1, rightfully so), but nooooooooo - let's continue to shit all over these guys after they're busting their ass 24/7 to better the program.

Hell, forget about the staff, this does Nebraska football no good. None.

Ive been wondering what the difference between the two styles actually is. Would you mind explaining?

Reactions: HuskerDana
When the original discussion about rugby style tackling was going on during the Banker regime, I pointed out that the purpose of a tackle differed in rugby and football and that I was not at all certain that rugby tackling translated to many circumstances in football. So before you say rugby tackling blows you try tackling a US Eagle coming straight at you with a full head of steam and that outweighs you by 80 pounds and doing it without any padding. I have. You do that and you are entitled to say rugby tackling blows.

Outweighed by 80 lbs. in AMERICAN football? Thanks. You might have proved my point.

Ive been wondering what the difference between the two styles actually is. Would you mind explaining?

Great question. A lot of rugby style techniques will have a lot to do with 'tracking'. As I,said, in the open field, not a terible technique. The idea is to track the back hip from the inside out and use your shoulder to 'roll' through the tackle from inside out.

I will finish this later when my phone is charged, lol....but I prefer backers and linemen to get their head across the ball to at least force the ball carrier back inside.

That is not ALL of rugby techniques, but at least a foundation. I will finish later.

Great question. A lot of rugby style techniques will have a lot to do with 'tracking'. As I,said, in the open field, not a terible technique. The idea is to track the back hip from the inside out and use your shoulder to 'roll' through the tackle from inside out.

I will finish this later when my phone is charged, lol....but I prefer backers and linemen to get their head across the ball to at least force the ball carrier back inside.

That is not ALL of rugby techniques, but at least a foundation. I will finish later.
Ok thx

Outweighed by 80 lbs. in AMERICAN football? Thanks. You might have proved my point.
If you will agree to my point that tackling in rugby and football have a different need, though it is unclear to me whether you have a clue about rugby, and recant the statement that rugby tackling blows, then I will agree that rugby-style tackling is sometimes an inappropriate tactic in football.

Reactions: mcfadd
The correct answer from both Diaco and Banker should have been "No comment." Diaco should have then followed up with, "we are focusing on making our defense better in the way that we believe will help us win."

But nooooo they have to go and pour gas, fish piss and lots of butthurt in the bowl and stir it up—no thanks to our "journalists." And people still wonder how we are an irrelevant program.

I believe some of us on here could do a better job than a lot of the Nebraska beat writers. 100% serious would recommend a lot of you, myself included:D

If you will agree to my point that tackling in rugby and football have a different need, though it is unclear to me whether you have a clue about rugby, and recant the statement that rugby tackling blows, then I will agree that rugby-style tackling is sometimes an inappropriate tactic in football.

Yeah, I coach LB's and the D-Line. So, as you could see by my edit BEFORE you responded, you can see that....yes, rugby style tackling is not a terrible technique in the open field for a db.

As far as having a clue about rugby, it really does not apply to my response, other than tackling. Unless rugby somehow magically becomes American football tonight.

For what purpose? All it does is create more drama that isn't needed. Their time is limited. This coaching staff has done everything we'd want, except win games (priority #1, rightfully so), but nooooooooo - let's continue to shit all over these guys after they're busting their ass 24/7 to better the program.

Hell, forget about the staff, this does Nebraska football no good. None.

I don't disagree with a single thing you said in your response. I am just saying that Sip's job is to sell newspapers. I bet he does tomorrow. Is he a hack? Imo, yes. Was he a BP mouthpiece to the bitter end? Yes. All i am saying. Diaco opened that door and gave the hack a chance to rub salt in the wound. That is on Diaco. It is obvious why he should not be in front of a microphone. Ever.

Last edited:
The correct answer from both Diaco and Banker should have been "No comment." Diaco should have then followed up with, "we are focusing on making our defense better in the way that we believe will help us win."

But nooooo they have to go and pour gas, fish piss and lots of butthurt in the bowl and stir it up—no thanks to our "journalists." And people still wonder how we are an irrelevant program.

I believe some of us on here could do a better job than a lot of the Nebraska beat writers. 100% serious would recommend a lot of you, myself included:D

This post kicks ass.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
I just don't see the need to contact Banker in the first place. It accomplishes nothing, but stirring the pot....

Agreed....but for Sip, it'll sell papers. You said what Diaco should have said in the first place in your post. He does that, this is a non-issue.

Thanks HD. I bet they get a good share of their content and fan pulse from us... I'm not even joking. This story should never have been published in the first place. There were 100 better angles than this for a Nebraska football story. Awful, awful, awful journalism.

True. Like I said, let's never call for BD to be in front of a microphone again the rest of the season. Smokin

Two crappy coaches sparring over a topic that neither were/are good at coaching. Diaco would be best served addressing other items, like no pass rush, dline constantly being blown off the ball, linebackers always out of position, and d backs giving 20 yard cushions.

I started this thread because I really wanted to know what others thought about this. Because I really have a mixed response to it. I dislike Sipple very much but the real asshole and/or idiot here is that clown Diaco. Sipple is being his usual self ... which is a hack ...and Banker is understandably bitter, but has kept his mouth shut until Diaco opened his. But there are other reporters who have run with Diaco's comments too, and not just Sipple, and the issue that Diaco raised about the rugby style tackling being mandated by administrators above Riley is a very serious claim that needed to be investigated. Diaco is the catalyst for this public pissing match and nobody else.

Riley should not let Diaco speak to the press. Lol. Of course he has to which only underscores the questionable nature of the Diaco hire. Didn't his weird and "captain moonbeam" manner of speaking come out in the interview? Did they not talk to people at UConn and ND about this?

But what is really bad about Diaco's comments, both yesterday and after the game on Saturday, isn't that he is just weird. What is bad is that, when the chips are down, he appears to like blaming others rather than manning up and taking responsibility for the product on the field. Blaming Banker for this year's defense is the obvious example. As if "poor tackling" is our biggest issue on defense. Hint: it isn't and Diaco knows it isn't.

But I also think there was a more subtle, and more troubling, deflection of blame after the game on Saturday. He told reporters, in so many words, "hey dudes, don't come down too hard on me or my players because we are starting a ton of young guys and it is a new system they have yet to grasp. You can't really expect us to be able to stop everything a good offense can do, therefore." Personally, I think that was a dig at Langs and the offense. I think Diaco is saying here "if you want to blame someone for our losses go blame that offense, with their hot shot QB, quality skill players, and an offensive line in year three of their formation."

Maybe I am just making shit up now and he meant no dig at the offense. But my gut says it was.

The wheels are coming off folks. December cannot get here fast enough.

Last edited:
BD blaming Langs and Banker for this years defensive performance is no different than the segment of our fan base STILL blaming BP for a toxic culture in the program being a barrier for this staff.

Losers make excuses. Whether fans or coaches.
1. Bo really did create a toxic culture
2. Banker really was a lousy defensive coordinator who left Diaco players with poor technique
3. Langs and Cav and the whole offensive staff really have underperformed given the talent

4. Diaco should keep his mouth shut and focus on the shit product HE has put on the field.

I started this thread because I really wanted to know what others thought about this. Because I really have a mixed response to it. I dislike Sipple very much but the real asshole and/or idiot here is that clown Diaco. Sipple is being his usual self ... which is a hack ...and Banker is understandably bitter, but has kept his mouth shut until Diaco opened his. But there are other reporters who have run with Diaco's comments too, and not just Sipple, and the issue that Diaco raised about the rugby style tackling being mandated by administrators above Riley is a very serious claim that needed to be investigated. Diaco is the catalyst for this public pissing match and nobody else.

Riley should not let Diaco speak to the press. Lol. Of course he has to which only underscores the questionable nature of the Diaco hire. Didn't his weird and "captain moonbeam" manner of speaking come out in the interview? Did they not talk to people at UConn and ND about this?

But what is really bad about Diaco's comments, both yesterday and after the game on Saturday, isn't that he is just weird. What is bad is that, when the chips are down, he appears to like blaming others rather than manning up and taking responsibility for the product on the field. Blaming Banker for this year's defense is the obvious example. As if "poor tackling" is our biggest issue on defense. Hint: it isn't and Diaco knows it isn't.

But I also think there was a more subtle, and more troubling, deflection of blame after the game on Saturday. He told reporters, in so many words, "hey dudes, don't come down too hard on me or my players because we are starting a ton of young guys and it is a new system they have yet to grasp. You can't really expect us to be able to stop everything a good offense can do, therefore." Personally, I think that was a dig at Langs and the offense. I think Diaco is saying here "if you want to blame someone for our losses go blame that offense, with their hot shot QB, quality skill players, and an offensive line in year three of their formation."

Maybe I am just making shit up now and he meant no dig at the offense. But my gut says it was.

The wheels are coming off folks. December cannot get here fast enough.

Doesn't matter at this point.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT