ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of teams

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
have had lousy starts to a season, only to end on a strong note, winning most of their remaining games. Iowa has made a living off of that kind of season. So has Northwestern. We mock them for losing early games to Patsys only to lose to them later.

I have not given up on this season or this team or this coaching staff. We have most of the parts to be good, we just need to get the lightbulb to go on.

The only part we do not have is talent in our starting offensive line. Conrad, Farmer and Foster are just not very good. Period. That could still scuttle the season. But there is always hope that younger guys can step forward and make a splash.

GBR

have had lousy starts to a season, only to end on a strong note, winning most of their remaining games. Iowa has made a living off of that kind of season. So has Northwestern. We mock them for losing early games to Patsys only to lose to them later.

I have not given up on this season or this team or this coaching staff. We have most of the parts to be good, we just need to get the lightbulb to go on.

The only part we do not have is talent in our starting offensive line. Conrad, Farmer and Foster are just not very good. Period. That could still scuttle the season. But there is always hope that younger guys can step forward and make a splash.

GBR
Nor have I. While most are disappointed in an shocking 0-2 start, it is by no mean panic mode. I think much of this teams issues is mental. I believe it is going to take time to "clean house" from the damage Riley had caused. Similar to the damage Bo caused. Some players may eventually get that light bulb to go on. Others won't, and it will take a few recruiting cycles to get those guys out and the new guys in.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It sucks bad to have these losses when there was so much excitement at the beginning of the year, but you are correct, there's plenty of room to get better and be a pretty solid team by year's end. However, it would be really really nice to get to a bowl game, and that's going to be really tough; I don't see AM being 100% for the remainder of the year.

OK, how far back do fans want to go to blame the last guy(s)? This is now Frost's team, that's it, pure and simple. He turned the roster over in record time to get "his" players in there. Blaming Riley is simply one of many excuses that has no merit. Frost and Company have installed their system and their culture, by all accounts, the players bought in during the summer conditioning and fall workouts. You will never have 100% buy in, that's life.

The bottom line is very simple. Coaches get players in the right place to make plays, players have to make the plays. Coaches have to coach players how to play hard and not make mistakes which we have made in spades.

On the first series yesterday when Troy punted for 75+ yards into the end zone and flipped the field immediately, I turned to my wife and said, it could be one of those days.

Reality is what it is, no way to sugar coat it. Right now, we are not a good football team. The problem is, even with this being Frost's first year, this is still his team with all of the changes on the roster. Many on here were hailing this coaching staff as one of the best in the nation overall, top 10 perhaps. Well, if people really believe that, stick with the plan and ride this out. That's what I plan to do, not really much else one can do except complain and I am getting too old for that. Life is WAY too short.

Last edited:
York high school was not in good shape as a program. Upwards of a decade of poor or mediocre football. Bad records, 2 or 3 coaches, etc.

Glenn Snodrgrass comes in with a different perspective. He was going to build a program on character, effort, positive leadership, etc. He was a successful coach before arriving, and had a plan to make york great.

First year, we win 3 games. The last 3 games, which happened to be the most important games, all district games. Enough to land a playoff spot as a district champ.

It was a long season with a bunch of tough lessons to be learned along the way. How to put team above self, how to win games, how to lead.

That team is the 16 seed, heading to #1 seed scottsbluff for a playoff game. Most figured 1 and done. What we didn't account for is the culture taking root. The better coaching taking root. Belief taking root.

That team wins that game, comes home and takes Elkhorn to the limits, it boiled down to a team with a roster 3 times the size of york staying fresh enough to pull out a win.

A state title game in year two, a championship a couple of years later, and a team busting their butts this year to repeat.

As a fan it was easy to doubt early on. There were signs that we would be better, but not the wins.

I believe Fost and company are on the same path. As much as I long for greatness, I will be patient. There is no other coach that I would want here right now, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

And yes you can still be where you want to be after starting a season poorly.

Well put OP. I haven’t even came close to to giving up, not even close to bitching or whining about the loses or any of that. The Girlfriend has been surprised the past few games that wasn’t in a bad mood. I just told her “it sucks to lose, yes. But there is plenty of good things going on and I’m excited for our future. From the Huskers I seen last year and now to see this, I’m definitely liking what I’m seeing.” Agreed it sucks we lost both games, definitely a buzz kill. We fix the penalties and get our players to stop dropping the ball onto the ground...we could do a lot better. I am worried about one thing and one thing only. Like one poster pointed out. 3 and 2s...bigs package and gaining the short yardage when everyone knows it’s coming. I really wish Frost would have left the fullbacks alone and carried a i formation or something like that. Not sure how Frost fixes that issue. But I trust him to figure it out. We are good to go and I’m still on board.

GBR
Bingo to not giving up, and pinpointing one of the glaring, blindingly glaring deficiency that is going to make this year a REAL challenge. Might as well add next year, the year after that, and every year a challenge until It’s fixed.

Well put OP. I haven’t even came close to to giving up, not even close to bitching or whining about the loses or any of that. The Girlfriend has been surprised the past few games that wasn’t in a bad mood. I just told her “it sucks to lose, yes. But there is plenty of good things going on and I’m excited for our future. From the Huskers I seen last year and now to see this, I’m definitely liking what I’m seeing.” Agreed it sucks we lost both games, definitely a buzz kill. We fix the penalties and get our players to stop dropping the ball onto the ground...we could do a lot better. I am worried about one thing and one thing only. Like one poster pointed out. 3 and 2s...bigs package and gaining the short yardage when everyone knows it’s coming. I really wish Frost would have left the fullbacks alone and carried a i formation or something like that. Not sure how Frost fixes that issue. But I trust him to figure it out. We are good to go and I’m still on board.
Exactly. Our future is still bright

Reactions: huskerssalts
OK, how far back do fans want to go to blame the last guy(s)? This is now Frost's team, that's it, pure and simple. He turned the roster over in record time to get "his" players in there. Blaming Riley is simply one of many excuses that has no merit. Frost and Company have installed their system and their culture, by all accounts, the players bought in during the summer conditioning and fall workouts. You will never have 100% buy in, that's life.

The bottom line is very simple. Coaches get players in the right place to make plays, players have to make the plays. Coaches have to coach players how to play hard and not make mistakes which we have made in spades.

On the first series yesterday when Troy punted for 75+ yards into the end zone and flipped the field immediately, I turned to my wife and said, it could be one of those days.

Reality is what it is, no way to sugar coat it. Right now, we are not a good football team. The problem is, even with this being Frost's first year, this is still his team with all of the changes on the roster. Many on here were hailing this coaching staff as one of the best in the nation overall, top 10 perhaps. Well, if people really believe that, stick with the plan and ride this out. That's what I plan to do, not really much else one can do except complain and I am getting too old for that. Life is WAY too short.

I'm typing one handed while lying on my couch

Disagree, might be simple, but not pure, roster turnover is not close to 50% yet It won't be pure for couple of years the way SF talked after the game, I don't know, but he might think there are some who haven't totally bought in and he invited them to purge themselves out I went through that in hs team my soph year from holdovers from the previous year's winless teem we did alright, but there was a bit of a cancer for awhile

but agree with you to stay the course and keep the faith if SF doesn't win here, I don't know who can I, for one, am on for the long haul

it seems to me, some players still are going for the big hits and not sticking with their basic assignments a certain 4 star big name upper classman db was WAAAAY out of position on one play and got burned on another and only got lucky to break up a badly under thrown pass The coaches can't play for those guys can take a horse to water, but can't make them drink

BTW, We were # 4 in the state as seniors

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not as if you lost by 30 to the team that lost to FCS North Dakota State.
All jabs and insults aside, this is kind of my point. Iowa very often will start the season slowly, sometimes losing a game they have no business losing, and just looking inept overall. But as the season goes on they get better. And then wham.... down goes Ohio State. I really dislike Iowa football (like most on here) but watching you guys woodshed them last year was fantastic.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT