ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Michael Lynn (OL from Colorado) in N

I think the top 20 players can make it close. There are some low 3⭐️ Guys that I think move up and some of the upper 3⭐️ Guys certainly look to be able to move up. If the team finishes outside the top 15, as long as the holes and gaps get filled with this level of talent, I’ll be happy.

If I overshot it a bit for final ranking okay, thank you guys for double checking and pointing it out to me. Rather be right about it. Have a good one.

I think the point is that the coaches are going to have to elevate their game a little to be a Top 20 class. We will need more 4-stars to make it into the final Top 20 ranking. App. 8-10 4-stars to get us there.

I'll ask again........when we say there are only 3 4* recruits that is only Rivals. Are we only allowed to use Rivals as the standard for who is 4*? There are other sites that rate some of our recruits as 4* and Rivals doesn't. Is Rivals better at evaluating talent? Not trying to start and argument just an honest question.
Ha we are allowed to use whichever site you want to make your point Winking

But in all honesty, we are using the Rivals rankings because we are on their site and they don’t necessarily appreciate when we bring up competitor websites. However, I get that we have 6 - 4* between the sites and I do feel like that better reflects the talent level in this class (Henrich will be getting a bump later to at least a high 3*).

TOS does have a composite ranking that is probably more indicative of the class as a whole, so that is probably better when judging the entire class. Ultimately, though, I think TOS has more players ranked 4* and so the classes are usually ranked fairly similar between the sites (in most cases). They just use different formulas and hold different camps where they evaluate the prospects.

Naw you're are fans and are 100% able to question, I certainly don't agree with the scrutiny to the extent it gets on this board but ehh to each their own.
A couple things to address, if you go off rivals then yes we have (3) 4*'s. But at the same time who offers is important to posters. With that argument the likes of Heinrich, Thompsons, McCaffery and Newsome should all be 4*'s, kind of a joke some of these guys are 3 stars based on who offered. So essentially these guys are and could become bumped up later in the year. So one could say we have (7) 4*'s out of (16) or 43% of our class. A couple of bump up in stars doesn't change the player...

You mention a surge on recruiting for new coaches some teams you mentioned, Penn State had a good year but a lot left to prove, Texas hasn't don't squat in the W category. And you threw out Texas A&M, go back and look the "studs" "star power" Kevin Sumlin brought to College Station, he was The Hottest Coach. Had ton of high profile guys but had dudes transferring left and right especially the QB position (4 and 5 star guys)...he had a bad run and never won many games besides Johnny FB saving his butt for the first couple years, after that it was a train wreck. Why? Because if you bring in any Jimmy and Joe (with a freaking high star) and the Culture and fit isn't right, results are he is no longer coach there.

Lastly I'll address the talent gap, why people hold the East Division as untouchable is beyond me. Do they have some better players here and there yes...however look at the last couple years at the Big 10 Championship. Game wasn't won by the West but the score tells me talent gap isn't that DRASTIC. You're going to tell me Iowa WI recruiting classes are better than ours?

2015 Michigan State Spartans 16 Iowa Hawkeyes 13
2016 Penn State Nittany Lions 38 Wisconsin Badgers 31
2017 Ohio State Buckeyes 27 Wisconsin Badgers 21
I enjoy having these discussions with people who see things a little differently than I do.

The 4 commits you mentioned above are players that I think everyone is happy with. They are the types of 3* players most were expecting our coaches to go after this cycle. With the high amount of offers, it is clear that coaches around the country believe they are talented kids and can help a program in a major way. They also could very well end up being 4* kids when the re-evaluations occur.

The ones that are more being question (not by me per se), are the ones who are low star kids with low P5 offers, and the reasoning is that both the recruiting websites and the majority of P5 coaches seem to agree they aren’t top prospects AT THIS POINT. Why not let them get a little more game film or make them wait to take an official, that way if there are higher guys on your board, there is still an opportunity for them to commit prior to the lower kid (if SF is serious about not recruiting over a commit).

As for the coaches, I am meaning this years class for TA&M and Oregon, and the last 2 classes for Texas. Herman has been there 1 year, so this should be his breakout year. But he has had 2 solid classes. If you compare him to SF, SF should be able to get a good class, go 7-5/8-4ish, then have a great class, but unfortunately that isn’t the case so far. As for TA&M and Oregon, they also both have new head coaches are are currently having top 5ish classes.

Finally, for the talent gap, I think I kind of missed my point. It was that if we can win the west, I think then we get a shot at much more talented team (which I think we could possibly upset). However, I don’t see us being able to win the B1G, a playoff game, and a NC, as our lack of talent compared to the elite teams will be exposed (i.e. like MSU against Bama and OSU against Clemson...and those were probably both much more talented teams than NU will have in the next few years.

I have an honest question what would you deem as a failure versus success with this staff? I am a firm believer especially now a days location is a huge disadvantage in recruiting. Sure Michigan and Penn State has had turnover in coaching and both has recruited at a high level. But neither one has been to the Cfp either. And they both are located in pretty fertile recruiting grounds.

I believe perception of the program also has to change. I remember watching national columnist like Jesse Palmer and herbstreit for example wrong or right on air saying NU needs to be careful what they wish for firing a consistent 9 win coach (Pelini). This is who you are as a program. And that we just had a once in a generation type of coach come along. Locally we know we have a higher ceiling but we have to recruit nationally to be successful and that is what recruits see.

So my question is 5 years from now if we have not won the conference but say Frost has us winning 9-10 and maybe an 11 win season with no conference championship but in a few big 10 championship games or CFP appearance what would you consider that success or failure at that point?

I have an honest question what would you deem as a failure versus success with this staff? I am a firm believer especially now a days location is a huge disadvantage in recruiting. Sure Michigan and Penn State has had turnover in coaching and both has recruited at a high level. But neither one has been to the Cfp either. And they both are located in pretty fertile recruiting grounds.

I believe perception of the program also has to change. I remember watching national columnist like Jesse Palmer and herbstreit for example wrong or right on air saying NU needs to be careful what they wish for firing a consistent 9 win coach (Pelini). This is who you are as a program. And that we just had a once in a generation type of coach come along. Locally we know we have a higher ceiling but we have to recruit nationally to be successful and that is what recruits see.

So my question is 5 years from now if we have not won the conference but say Frost has us winning 9-10 and maybe an 11 win season with no conference championship but in a few big 10 championship games or CFP appearance what would you consider that success or failure at that point?
I feel safe in saying if we are winning 9-11 games, the quality of recruit will continue to go up as well. Success breeds success. It didn’t with Bo because he didn’t value recruiting. Frost and company will be better in that department, no doubt.

I think if in 5 years we have been in the CCG, even losing, that is still a success.

Last edited:
I feel safe in saying if we are winning 9-11 games, the quality of recruit will continue to go up as well. Success breeds success. It didn’t with Bo because he didn’t value recruiting. Frost and company will be better in that department, no doubt.

I think if I’m 5 years we have been in the CC, even losing, that is still a success.
I completely agree.

How about NONE or mostly below average and bottom feeders. That work better for you?

Makes more sense.

You can't recruit every kid.

I'm watching people recruit worse or similar to us having success.

And our division never recruits better than us. I think we need to focus on the coaching more than the recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruce1981
Do you trust the eyes of the majority of the other power 5 schools? The guys questioning the recruiting right now are pointing out that virtually every other power 5 program isn't in on some of these guys. It's a legit concern.
Can we trust your eyes? I mean..it wasn’t long ago you were saying Langs would coach circles around Frost. LaughingLaughingLaughing

Reactions: huskerfan1414
On second thought, Frost doesn't need 4* or 5* players to win titles. That would just be too easy. Winning titles with primarily 3* players speaks volumes.

Geezus, Frost hasn't even coached his first official game, but already he's a bit of a disaster to some based on recruiting so far. Let the chips fall where they may for the next few years and then gripe if it's necessary. Or better yet, maybe some should get a coaching job at the D-1 level and test your abilities in recruiting.

Nebraska is NOT tOSU, OU, Alabama, Florida State and about 15 others right now, it is going to take a monumental effort to get things back to just being a solid 9/10 win per season program. And there are plenty of coaches that would tell potential recruits that Nebraska isn't this, won't be that, don't waste your time, blah, blah, blah.

I believe Frost can get there, and if he can't, don't count on Nebraska being any more than what it's been for the past 15+ years.

Awesome. Again kind of boring though. Frost isn’t perfect. He does things that can be questioned. None of us are making the decisions but we sure as hell can question them. I am pretty sure you aren’t qualified to be POTUS but I am sure you have questioned the decisions the person in that position has made. So should you just shut up and like it?? Hell no.

Just because I don’t agree, or anyone else doesn’t agree with a decision or may question a decision, that doesn’t mean the decision is wrong. It just means that the person doesn’t understand why the decision was made. Nothing more, nothing less. But to say get a job coaching D1 football is like me telling you to get into politics if you want to question the president.

Awesome. Again kind of boring though. Frost isn’t perfect. He does things that can be questioned. None of us are making the decisions but we sure as hell can question them. I am pretty sure you aren’t qualified to be POTUS but I am sure you have questioned the decisions the person in that position has made. So should you just shut up and like it?? Hell no.

Just because I don’t agree, or anyone else doesn’t agree with a decision or may question a decision, that doesn’t mean the decision is wrong. It just means that the person doesn’t understand why the decision was made. Nothing more, nothing less. But to say get a job coaching D1 football is like me telling you to get into politics if you want to question the president.
He appears to be new here. He may not realize this is a Husker recruiting website/message board where Husker recruiting is a major topic.

So you don't seem to understand much of what Frost does? Got it. You've got the boring part alright, down to a tee. At least you're consistent.

He appears to be new here. He may not realize this is a Husker recruiting website/message board where Husker recruiting is a major topic.
Actually, I've been on this board since it was redone in May of 2001, and before that, so I've seen many years go by, and people come and go. But I can give Frost a bit of time to do his job before I get too worried to post "grave" concerns about recruiting. I didn't expect him to pull in fifteen 4* and 5 to 8 five star players right off the bat, not going to happen.

He's got a lot of work to do to make Nebraska a winning brand again, one that will entice more of those coveted four and five star players to want to commit.

So you don't seem to understand much of what Frost does? Got it. You've got the boring part alright, down to a tee. At least you're consistent.

I am pretty sure I understand a whole lot of what Frost does. I happen to question a couple of recruiting decisions. You can either have a conversation that involves more than “become a D1 coach if you know better” or you can use the ignore button. It isn’t hard.

I am pretty sure I understand a whole lot of what Frost does. I happen to question a couple of recruiting decisions. You can either have a conversation that involves more than “become a D1 coach if you know better” or you can use the ignore button. It isn’t hard.
Well Taco my boy, you can keep questioning things Scott Frost and use the ignore button all you want, if that's what floats your boat. Maybe if you question enough, close your eyes and hope and pray, things might get better for your perception of what should be. And feel free not to respond to anything I put down here, that's your right to do so.

He just forgot the password he used since 2000, so he needed to get himself a new handle.
Actually no, I was F5Tornado back before May of 2001, so I have my old name still intact and on display, using the "old" password used back then. But I post on my other as well.

Well Taco my boy, you can keep questioning things Scott Frost and use the ignore button all you want, if that's what floats your boat. Maybe if you question enough, close your eyes and hope and pray, things might get better for your perception of what should be.

The name is Tuco. And I ain’t your boy.

I don’t use the ignore button, I was inviting you to since you are the one with an issue.

Things will get better, in my eyes, when we are recruiting the number and types of players that will win division and conference titles, setting us up to play for national titles. Until then I will question as I please.

Again if you want to have a discussion about facts or stats or schemes or anything football related, I will gladly have that discussion with you. If you want to refute anything I say, bring something to back it up other than “Frost is the coach and he knows best”.

I don’t use the ignore button, I was inviting you to since you are the one with an issue.

Things will get better, in my eyes, when we are recruiting the number and types of players that will win division and conference titles, setting us up to play for national titles. Until then I will question as I please.

Again if you want to have a discussion about facts or stats or schemes or anything football related, I will gladly have that discussion with you. If you want to refute anything I say, bring something to back it up other than “Frost is the coach and he knows best”.

Funny, you're the one who responded first to my post, not I to you, so you seem to have a bit more of an issue, touché. And show me where I said Frost is the coach and he knows best, you won't find it because I didn't put that down on this thread. But I will say Frost knows more than you when it comes to coaching, recruiting, how to run a program, etc., certainly more than your internet expertise renders.

Question all you want, again, if it floats your boat, you're free to do as you please when you please. And when you insert "we" and "us" in your reference to recruiting or setting up to play for national titles, maybe clarify your position within the football hierarchy, I'm sure it's up pretty high in the pecking order.

Funny, you're the one who responded first to my post, not I to you, so you seem to have a bit more of an issue, touché. And show me where I said Frost is the coach and he knows best, you won't find it because I didn't put that down on this thread. But I will say Frost knows more than you when it comes to coaching, recruiting, how to run a program, etc., certainly more than your internet expertise renders.

Question all you want, again, if it floats your boat, you're free to do as you please when you please. And when you insert "we" and "us" in your reference to recruiting or setting up to play for national titles, maybe clarify your position within the football hierarchy, I'm sure it's up pretty high in the pecking order.

Ah the “we” bothers you when referring to our team huh? That, boy, is your issue. I’ll continue to use we, us and our when referring to Nebraska football. And do so without clarifying My position in the hierarchy. Thanks.

Ah the “we” bothers you when referring to our team huh? That, boy, is your issue. I’ll continue to use we, us and our when referring to Nebraska football. And do so without clarifying My position in the hierarchy. Thanks.
Taco my boy, you never fail to deliver a less than stellar follow up, but at least you're phenomenally consistent in that endeavor. Bravo maestro, bravo! Oh, no need to thank me, but you're welcome.

You're dense. What is Wisconsins average recruiting ranking the last 5 seasons? And they are serious contenders to take this conference this season

You're dense. What is Wisconsins average recruiting ranking the last 5 seasons? And they are serious contenders to take this conference this season

I think Wisconsin's numbers recently all have to do with schedule. If you take a deeper dive, they are only around .500 against teams that are decent. That is respectable, but they are beating a bunch of bad teams. Kudos to them for doing that, but they are not elite and it will come crashing down soon.

Ok,

You are using the exception to the rule. Wisconsin has played one of the weakest P5 divisions in college football over the past 5 years. They are 1-4 against Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St over the past 4 seasons. The lone win was last year at home against Michigan. Maybe they are contenders to take the conference title, but to do so they are going to have to do something in one year that they haven't been able to do over a 4 year period, and that is to have more than 1 win against Michigan, Penn St and Ohio St.

Wisconsin plays like an underdog. The shorten the game offensively, play good defense and hope they can keep it close. When they go against the more athletic teams, and the teams that out recruit them, they don't fare nearly as well.

If you want to base your hopes on being the exception to the rule, great. I don't think it's a recipe for success.

I think Wisconsin's numbers recently all have to do with schedule. If you take a deeper dive, they are only around .500 against teams that are decent. That is respectable, but they are beating a bunch of bad teams. Kudos to them for doing that, but they are not elite and it will come crashing down soon.

I’ll give the badgers some credit, in the past three years (2 bowls, 1 regular season) they beat LSU, USC, and Miami. If they win out and go undefeated in all games, they will have beaten Michigan and psu on the road. A tall order but who knows, they might pull it off.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I’ll give the badgers some credit, in the past three years (2 bowls, 1 regular season) they beat LSU, USC, and Miami. If they win out and go undefeated in all games, they will have beaten Michigan and psu on the road. A tall order but who knows, they might pull it off.

They deserve some credit, but I am predicting that even this year they are going to struggle when a lot of people think they are a national title contender. They are lucky they have an easy schedule again. Their non-con is shit, and I could see losses at PSU, UM, Iowa, Purdue, and even Nebraska. That D is going to take a step back.

They deserve some credit, but I am predicting that even this year they are going to struggle when a lot of people think they are a national title contender. They are lucky they have an easy schedule again. Their non-con is shit, and I could see losses at PSU, UM, Iowa, Purdue, and even Nebraska. That D is going to take a step back.
Despite my glowing review of Wisconsin, I can’t argue with your points, they could very well flame out in the games you mention, which wouldn’t hurt my feelings.

Despite my glowing review of Wisconsin, I can’t argue with your points, they could very well flame out in the games you mention, which wouldn’t hurt my feelings.

Yeah I agree. I guess we will see. Just happy it is finally football time again where we can have these conversations because I'll probably be dead wrong in my opinions.

Reactions: Bugeater

Their offense should be very, very good but their defense will take two steps back I bet.

Nope just 2 years ago they played a brutal schedule and almost won the conference title. They have legitimately had one of the top defenses in the country the last two years. They also have consistently had a pretty good running game, and their receivers will be pretty good this year too. They are a legit top 10 team the last two years and will be again this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT