ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Michael Lynn (OL from Colorado) in N

I trust our coaches eye for talent a hell of a lot more than rivals, ESPN or you fellas. I’ve watched the film, none of these guys are reaches. Let’s pump the breaks until their senior years are done, if you care that much about rankings a lot can change and another magic star may appear by their name :0
And to say some of the 90’s building blocks can’t be replicated is why we’ve been in this 20 yr spiral of mediocrity. I don’t understand that mindset.

Do you trust the eyes of the majority of the other power 5 schools? The guys questioning the recruiting right now are pointing out that virtually every other power 5 program isn't in on some of these guys. It's a legit concern.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Parsons: You said it. Next.

Bookie: Brings his entire entourage here, softest commit I ever saw, no intention of actually showing-up on campus.

KJJ: Mental midget out of HS.

Where did I say we don't want highly rated players? What I don't want are those 3 up top. No thanks. Next man up. GBR
I have a feeling they played KJJ for what he was all along: A chess piece. Even with him flaming out, the relationship with him and his dad opened doors to a bunch of other guys. Including, IIRC, one Tristan Gebbia. He was worth recruiting even though he didn't play a down and looks to have flamed out as Zona as well.

Pull anecdotes out all you want, the numbers on these get studied every year. Higher rated kids are more likely to make NFL rosters than lower rated kids on a per-player basis. Those are the facts. Which makes "opinions" about stars not mattering pretty obviously wrong.

I have a feeling they played KJJ for what he was all along: A chess piece. Even with him flaming out, the relationship with him and his dad opened doors to a bunch of other guys. Including, IIRC, one Tristan Gebbia. He was worth recruiting even though he didn't play a down and looks to have flamed out as Zona as well.

Pull anecdotes out all you want, the numbers on these get studied every year. Higher rated kids are more likely to make NFL rosters than lower rated kids on a per-player basis. Those are the facts. Which makes "opinions" about stars not mattering pretty obviously wrong.

I can't argue with your stats, but stats can lie, and I support my troops.

Amazing that KJJ already flamed out at Zona (literally or figuratively speaking of course). I always thought the kid was DIII, and got chastised on here for saying so. His film sucked and he slow.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Congrats to Lynn. I think he can come in and with hard work be a solid contributor for 2-3 years. He looks like he has a lot of upside. Glad to have him on board.

For the larger discussion going on, this class if it gets into the mid 20’s for size should get into the mid 10’s. I can see this as a top 15 class. But most importantly it is getting many of the gaps filled. The number of four and five stars would be great to be as large as possible. That said the guys coming in set the foundation and the baseline for future classes and teams quite well.

The early signing period will let the coaches focus and get some top end guys to cap off the class.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
@Tuco Salamanca
The threads announcing the commitments of our 4 star players all have something in common.
And the threads about our lesser ranked recruits and\or complaint threads all have something in common too, the exact opposite thing as the 4 star threads.
Care to take a guess for us as to what it is I'm referring?

Reactions: SOHusker11
This kid is good. We also need more four stars.
but OT is a tough position to find a four star as mentioned above.
It's better to have thi s now than be scraping the barrel later.
need one more OL and at least four more four stars.

Lets hope it's a slow commitment year nationally from here on out to get kids to campus on officials.

@Tuco Salamanca
The threads announcing the commitments of our 4 star players all have something in common.
And the threads about our lesser ranked recruits and\or complaint threads all have something in common too, the exact opposite thing as the 4 star threads.
Care to take a guess for us as to what it is I'm referring?

Hannah will be a stud, Bland looks like a good JuCo pick up and Johnson will play early.

What other 4 star commitments am I missing?

Hannah will be a stud, Bland looks like a good JuCo pick up and Johnson will play early.

What other 4 star commitments am I missing?
Glad to hear your comments.
as far as four stars are concerned I thought mcaffrey was one as well but it must be elsewhere, but I didn't give a number in my post.

Do you trust the eyes of the majority of the other power 5 schools? The guys questioning the recruiting right now are pointing out that virtually every other power 5 program isn't in on some of these guys. It's a legit concern.

Is this a serious post or poorly worded?

How is it a legit concern that EVERY power 5 isn't in on some of these guys?

Reactions: Huzkers25

Because there are enough P5 schools that run similar schemes. The players will be able to excell at many schools. This isn’t like recruiting Tom Brady to run an option offense. We are talking about recruiting fast offensive and defensive skill position guys, big strong DL and fast LBs. I am pretty sure everyone outside of GT and the service academies want those type players.

This isn’t Nebraska 1980-1999, where the offense we ran was less common. 90% of the high schools in Texas and Florida run some version of a spread offense with mobile QBs. I would venture that the what 60% or more of the P5 schools run a version of a spread offense.

When everyone wants the same type players to run their stuff, one would assume they would be in on the same guys.

How about NONE or mostly below average and bottom feeders. That work better for you?

Why didnt Colorado offer him - asking for a friend
Answer - We can't take everyone! There are a half dozen other Colorado offensive linemen with P5 offers from the likes of ASU and others. They aren't all staying in state. There's a lot of OL talent in the state this year and next. I suspect NU is getting a foothold into the state with proximity being so close as a part of the pitch (parents can go see their kids still). Congrats!

We hired Scott Frost and his staff from UCF. To a Nebraska fan, that is huge! We got our guy! He will likely be here for a long, long time. No more merry go round. I'm thrilled with the hires we've made.

Although his hire did come with some national storylines, he is not a household name in many parts of the country. We also did not pair him up with a bunch of lightning rod recruiters. Expecting him to go toe-to-toe right now with Saban, Swinney, Meyer, etc. is not realistic. Harbaugh was/is a household name and they paired him up with a strong supporting staff. That said, I think the Franklin comparison is fair but there will always be those guys that just outperform. It's amazing what he's been able to do with that program.

Last edited:
Congrats to Lynn. I think he can come in and with hard work be a solid contributor for 2-3 years. He looks like he has a lot of upside. Glad to have him on board.

For the larger discussion going on, this class if it gets into the mid 20’s for size should get into the mid 10’s. I can see this as a top 15 class. But most importantly it is getting many of the gaps filled. The number of four and five stars would be great to be as large as possible. That said the guys coming in set the foundation and the baseline for future classes and teams quite well.

The early signing period will let the coaches focus and get some top end guys to cap off the class.
To get a top 15 class, Nebraska has a lot of ground to make up. I did some numbers and going back to 2013, the #15 rated class on Rivals averaged 2131 points, and about 10 - 4/5* out of a class of 25.

Disclaimer: since it is only August, there were definitely assumptions made. 1) we will sign 25, 2) no bumps in the ratings (that is most likely wrong and a big assumption), 3) no decommitments (another large one), 4) we land Chris Hickman, Javin Wright, and Ty Robinson.

Using the above, Rivals only counts top 20 players in a class, so Grayson, Fair, Piper, Wright, and Lynn would not count towards total points. Adding in the 3 assumed commits above would give us a class currently of 19/25, but for ranking purposes, only 14/20, and would be a total value of 1301 points. That means we could take 6 more recruits to count toward our total point value, and to get to 15th, the 6 of them would need to average about 140 points each (830 more points). That is basically a 5.9 4* top 150ish recruit EACH. If it happened, it would also get the class to 9 4* recruits in the class for Rivals. Basically, though, we either need lots of bumps in player rankings, or we need to only recruit the top 150 players to get that high.

Reactions: TheBeav815

How about NONE or mostly below average and bottom feeders. That work better for you?

Below average and bottom feeders, really? You'd make a great recruiting coordinator. "Good to meet you Mr. Recruit, our coaches really like your film however after looking further into the matter I see you don't have Clemson or Ohio State offers...we won't recruit you until that happens."

Freaking laughable!

Two of our best defensive players for 2018 Luke Gifford and Ben Stille. Probably our best shots for some Big Ten All Conference awards, zero argument there. Go look back both 3 stars and offers sheet around 5 teams, Ohio, North Dakota, Army etc. But hey they weren't 4 stars with the huge offer sheet Smokin

I like how as a 3* a kid sucks but if he gets a bump to 4* now that same kid magically has talent
And I like how so many on here miss the general point of the recruiting discussion that has been going on for weeks to months. It isn’t about ragging on any one kid or any individual in general. The discussion has been about numbers, and that having a higher amount of 4* recruits leads to quicker success and gives the program a higher ceiling.

So every kid who is highly rated *but not committed to NU yet* is a toxic prima donna and we don't want them? That's what you're going with?

Weird, Saban seems to be able to get a roster full of those prima donnas to do their job and go to the playoff every year and win it more often than not.

Boy I'd sure hate to watch a bunch of kids win a lot of football games if I didn't know that they're just all heart, how 'bout the rest of you fellas?

A 3-5 year rebuild becomes a 7-10 year rebuild if you don't get the talent onto the sidelines. The last few guys didn't get that many years.

But Pelino got 7 years.......

Two of our best defensive players for 2018 Luke Gifford and Ben Stille. Probably our best shots for some Big Ten All Conference awards, zero argument there. Go look back both 3 stars and offers sheet around 5 teams, Ohio, North Dakota, Army etc. But hey they weren't 4 stars with the huge offer sheet Smokin
Our best shot at some Big Ten Awards would be Stanley. Now how about you tell me about his offer sheet.

Btw I think Gifford and Stille are awesome, and I hope Stille starts this year. But picking 2 players off the worst NU defense in history, and basically the worst P5 defense last year to prove your point about star ratings may not help much.

Last edited:
Our best shot at some Big Ten Awards would be Stanley. Now how about you tell me about his offer sheet.

Yea he was a 4 star, won't be the first of the last 4 start to be a good player for us, easy to admit that. But you pass over my 3 star/offer sheet point to come up with that response on the offensive side of the ball. That's how a sports conversation goes south when there's no give and take and you have blinders on. The bottome line- ballers come from all levels.

No one asked me, but my take on some of the things I've read in this thread:

Frost looking for his type of players. Uh, apparently not. At one point earlier this summer Nebraska led the nation in the number of scholarship offers, with well over a hundred. Not exactly picking and choosing a very special player to fit a mold. As Nebraska is geographically as far from the recruiting hotbeds as you can get, I have no problem with that. But don't claim he only offers a very specific type of player who has been carefully vetted to meet strict guidelines.

High maintenance prima donnas aren't necessarily a bad thing. Tommie Frazier was a huge prima donna. He'd ignore Osborne's play calls and do his own thing. He was extremely demanding of his teammates. Most of them thought he was a Grade-A jerk. Guys like Lawrence Phillips, Christian Peter, and Terrell Farley were massively high maintenance. Elite players are usually not choirboys. If you want a team of Eagle Scouts who sit home on Friday nights and play checkers, you'd better expect a lot of 4-7 seasons.

Recruiting services aren't perfect, but stars matter. A higher percentage of five-star guys become elite players in college, and make it to the NFL. A higher percentage of four-stars make it over three. They're bigger, they're faster, they're physically ready to play sooner. It's statistics. Life doesn't come with guarantees, and neither do recruits. Statistically speaking, as a predictor of future success, it is better to have more stars. That doesn't mean a two-star guy can't be a late bloomer, who develops over five years in college, and becomes a great player. It just isn't going to happen nearly as often as a four-star recruit.

I'm thankful to any high school recruit that chooses to give the next five years of his life to Nebraska. I knew football players when I was at UNL, and it is a tough job. Furthermore, all fans want the coaches to get the best players possible. We all want the team to be successful. So I think we can agree on those things, and keep the discussion civil without getting nasty. Nebraska has been completely irrelevant for 17 years, so we're all a bit cranky these days.

Yea he was a 4 star, won't be the first of the last 4 start to be a good player for us, easy to admit that. But you pass over my 3 star/offer sheet point to come up with that response on the offensive side of the ball. That's how a sports conversation goes south when there's no give and take and you have blinders on. The bottome line- ballers come from all levels.
You missed my edit to the post where I did comment on them. So I apologize.

But to further discuss them, using Nebraska kids also rarely works in the overall discussion. Unless the kids show they are open to other schools, most schools don’t bother evaluating them or spending resources on them. Kids like Henrich and Hickman at least showed they were open to other schools and have seen numerous offers from big schools. Kids like Nelson and Piper only really looked at Nebraska and so no one else came around.

There also is, yet again, no one saying that 3* players cannot be good to great to exceptional. Again the point is that to play for and win NCs, there needs to be a higher number of 4/5* players in the program. It is also typical that if a 3* kid gets tons of offers from P5 schools, they will get a bump to a 4*. Nebraska kids are typically at a disadvantage partially for that reason, along with having not great high school football compared to other states.

Also Stanley was brought up because you said Gifford and Stille were our best shots at awards. Which I disagree with. I think Stanley is.

PancakeKing-JWilks-NU-Sports-Info-resized.jpg
Glory days

You missed my edit to the post where I did comment on them. So I apologize.

But to further discuss them, using Nebraska kids also rarely works in the overall discussion. Unless the kids show they are open to other schools, most schools don’t bother evaluating them or spending resources on them. Kids like Henrich and Hickman at least showed they were open to other schools and have seen numerous offers from big schools. Kids like Nelson and Piper only really looked at Nebraska and so no one else came around.

There also is, yet again, no one saying that 3* players cannot be good to great to exceptional. Again the point is that to play for and win NCs, there needs to be a higher number of 4/5* players in the program. It is also typical that if a 3* kid gets tons of offers from P5 schools, they will get a bump to a 4*. Nebraska kids are typically at a disadvantage partially for that reason, along with having not great high school football compared to other states.

Also Stanley was brought up because you said Gifford and Stille were our best shots at awards. Which I disagree with. I think Stanley is.

Sorry I see your edit now. Good post above. I completely agree with all these points, you're spot on with Nebraska kids shutting down recruiting and not getting looks from big school and thus lower rankings. I think we're all excited to be relevant again. It's safe to say excitement for the program is at an all time high... and we have a lot of years of frustration and disappointment. We got the best up and coming coaching hire in the country and he's one of us...so the meaning runs deeper.

My frustration lies that an undefeated 13-0 coach in his first year is getting bashed on boards like this for not recruiting better is odd to me. This is a different type of offense than we have ever run at UNL why not let the man do his job and pick the players he sees fit? In 4 years from now we may say yea the 19 class was a bust or we may say man that class saved our program. But for some posters (not necessarily you) to take jabs almost every time we pickup a new commit is asinine.

And I like how so many on here miss the general point of the recruiting discussion that has been going on for weeks to months. It isn’t about ragging on any one kid or any individual in general. The discussion has been about numbers, and that having a higher amount of 4* recruits leads to quicker success and gives the program a higher ceiling.

Here are a couple of other great debates, feel free to "weigh-in."

Is the sky blue? Is the earth flat? Does the sun rise in the East?

I am more interested in seeing how this is going to play out, than debating the obvious.

Sorry I see your edit now. Good post above. I completely agree with all these points, you're spot on with Nebraska kids shutting down recruiting and not getting looks from big school and thus lower rankings. I think we're all excited to be relevant again. It's safe to say excitement for the program is at an all time high... and we have a lot of years of frustration and disappointment. We got the best up and coming coaching hire in the country and he's one of us...so the meaning runs deeper.

My frustration lies that an undefeated 13-0 coach in his first year is getting bashed on boards like this for not recruiting better is odd to me. This is a different type of offense than we have ever run at UNL why not let the man do his job and pick the players he sees fit? In 4 years from now we may say yea the 19 class was a bust or we may say man that class saved our program. But for some posters (not necessarily you) to take jabs almost every time we pickup a new commit is asinine.
I agree that Frost is getting everyone excited. But I guess I don’t necessarily see what you are calling bashing. I see people questioning why we are accepting certain recruits in August before we have had kids take official visits or before they play their senior years (or at least a few games). I also understand the recruiting calendar overall has moved much earlier. But SF did say he didn’t want to take a lot of commits or have official visits until kids see game day, so it is odd that we are now 2/3 full on the class. I also think it’s fair to question the coaches at NU after 20 years of being shitty. Also, Riley never got 4 years...we all assume Frost will be exponentially better (and has basically already proven he is), but he also hasn’t coached a game. What happens if he doesn’t win like we expect? I guess I think that almost everything should be questioned until it is proven...but that’s just me.

I also wanted to clarify that I think NU can win with the recruits we are getting. But I don’t think we will be a NC contender for quite some time, which is where I think others are getting more frustrated. Many times when a new hot head coach takes a new job, the recruiting surges. Look at PSU, UM, Oregon, TA&M, Oklahoma, Texas, etc. all after they have gotten their new head coaches. Look how amazing they have done recruiting. The frustrating thing is we aren’t anywhere close to that, and we should be having the hottest new coach this year at a (at least former) blue blood school.

I do think we can win the West next year. But from there on, our talent gap against the east and say playoff contenders is going to be quite drastic. And that is where coaching won’t get us to the top alone. We need more talent to get Big Ten Championships and to compete with teams that make it to the playoffs (OSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, OU, Washington, Oregon, FSU, etc.)

I agree that Frost is getting everyone excited. But I guess I don’t necessarily see what you are calling bashing. I see people questioning why we are accepting certain recruits in August before we have had kids take official visits or before they play their senior years (or at least a few games). I also understand the recruiting calendar overall has moved much earlier. But SF did say he didn’t want to take a lot of commits or have official visits until kids see game day, so it is odd that we are now 2/3 full on the class. I also think it’s fair to question the coaches at NU after 20 years of being shitty. Also, Riley never got 4 years...we all assume Frost will be exponentially better (and has basically already proven he is), but he also hasn’t coached a game. What happens if he doesn’t win like we expect? I guess I think that almost everything should be questioned until it is proven...but that’s just me.

I also wanted to clarify that I think NU can win with the recruits we are getting. But I don’t think we will be a NC contender for quite some time, which is where I think others are getting more frustrated. Many times when a new hot head coach takes a new job, the recruiting surges. Look at PSU, UM, Oregon, TA&M, Oklahoma, Texas, etc. all after they have gotten their new head coaches. Look how amazing they have done recruiting. The frustrating thing is we aren’t anywhere close to that, and we should be having the hottest new coach this year at a (at least former) blue blood school.

I do think we can win the West next year. But from there on, our talent gap against the east and say playoff contenders is going to be quite drastic. And that is where coaching won’t get us to the top alone. We need more talent to get Big Ten Championships and to compete with teams that make it to the playoffs (OSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, OU, Washington, Oregon, FSU, etc.)

Agreed, with one exception. I think our own perception of SF is different (and as a Husker fan more accurate) than the national perception. Although his hire did come with some national storylines, he is not a household name in many parts of the country. We also did not pair him up with a bunch of lightning rod recruiters. Expecting him to go toe-to-toe right now with Saban, Swinney, Meyer, etc. is not realistic. Harbaugh was/is a household name and they paired him up with a strong supporting staff. That said, I think the Franklin comparison is fair but there will always be those guys that just outperform. It's amazing what he's been able to do with that program.

Reactions: Skerz4Life50
Agreed, with one exception. I think our own perception of SF is different (and as a Husker fan more accurate) than the national perception. Although his hire did come with some national storylines, he is not a household name in many parts of the country. We also did not pair him up with a bunch of lightning rod recruiters. Expecting him to go toe-to-toe right now with Saban, Swinney, Meyer, etc. is not realistic. Harbaugh was/is a household name and they paired him up with a strong supporting staff. That said, I think the Franklin comparison is fair but there will always be those guys that just outperform. It's amazing what he's been able to do with that program.

True, but I think one reason some of us are underwhelmed with the 2019 is because this staff did a great job with the 2018 class in such a short amount of time. They were able to sign 7 4-star recruits in only 2 months time, and keep 2 other 4-star recruits.

I figured that with a whole year to put together the 2019 class, we would be able to bring in more 4-stars than the 2018 class. Right now we only have 3, compared to 9 in last year's class, and it's highly doubtful we will land 6 more 4-star recruits.

True, but I think one reason some of us are underwhelmed with the 2019 is because this staff did a great job with the 2018 class in such a short amount of time. They were able to sign 7 4-star recruits in only 2 months time, and keep 2 other 4-star recruits.

I figured that with a whole year to put together the 2019 class, we would be able to bring in more 4-stars than the 2018 class. Right now we only have 3, compared to 9 in last year's class, and it's highly doubtful we will land 6 more 4-star recruits.
I'll ask again........when we say there are only 3 4* recruits that is only Rivals. Are we only allowed to use Rivals as the standard for who is 4*? There are other sites that rate some of our recruits as 4* and Rivals doesn't. Is Rivals better at evaluating talent? Not trying to start and argument just an honest question.

Unless we get around 8-10 4-star players, we're not going to be in the Top 20 in terms of class ranking. They only use the top 20 players of the class for ranking purposes.

Unless we get around 8-10 4-star players, we're not going to be in the Top 20 in terms of class ranking. They only use the top 20 players of the class for ranking purposes.

I think the top 20 players can make it close. There are some low 3⭐️ Guys that I think move up and some of the upper 3⭐️ Guys certainly look to be able to move up. If the team finishes outside the top 15, as long as the holes and gaps get filled with this level of talent, I’ll be happy.

If I overshot it a bit for final ranking okay, thank you guys for double checking and pointing it out to me. Rather be right about it. Have a good one.

Reactions: Skerz4Life50

Naw you're are fans and are 100% able to question, I certainly don't agree with the scrutiny to the extent it gets on this board but ehh to each their own.
A couple things to address, if you go off rivals then yes we have (3) 4*'s. But at the same time who offers is important to posters. With that argument the likes of Heinrich, Thompsons, McCaffery and Newsome should all be 4*'s, kind of a joke some of these guys are 3 stars based on who offered. So essentially these guys are and could become bumped up later in the year. So one could say we have (7) 4*'s out of (16) or 43% of our class. A couple of bump up in stars doesn't change the player...

You mention a surge on recruiting for new coaches some teams you mentioned, Penn State had a good year but a lot left to prove, Texas hasn't don't squat in the W category. And you threw out Texas A&M, go back and look the "studs" "star power" Kevin Sumlin brought to College Station, he was The Hottest Coach. Had ton of high profile guys but had dudes transferring left and right especially the QB position (4 and 5 star guys)...he had a bad run and never won many games besides Johnny FB saving his butt for the first couple years, after that it was a train wreck. Why? Because if you bring in any Jimmy and Joe (with a freaking high star) and the Culture and fit isn't right, results are he is no longer coach there.

Lastly I'll address the talent gap, why people hold the East Division as untouchable is beyond me. Do they have some better players here and there yes...however look at the last couple years at the Big 10 Championship. Game wasn't won by the West but the score tells me talent gap isn't that DRASTIC. You're going to tell me Iowa WI recruiting classes are better than ours?

2015 Michigan State Spartans 16 Iowa Hawkeyes 13
2016 Penn State Nittany Lions 38 Wisconsin Badgers 31
2017 Ohio State Buckeyes 27 Wisconsin Badgers 21

I'll ask again........when we say there are only 3 4* recruits that is only Rivals. Are we only allowed to use Rivals as the standard for who is 4*? There are other sites that rate some of our recruits as 4* and Rivals doesn't. Is Rivals better at evaluating talent? Not trying to start and argument just an honest question.

Each site has their own rankings. There isn't really an aggregate ranking system, unless 247 has started doing so. We can say that we have 7 4-star level players committed, but it won't impact our ranking on each site.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT