ADVERTISEMENT

Linebacker spots

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
I get the impression that two of these positions are relatively interchangeable, with the Jack being more of a DE/OLB hybrid. NU has Chief and Sherman, with PWill oscillating between DL and JACK. Wright, Gbayor and Bullock return and have 125 tackles combine for 2023. Who from the present roster provides depth behind these three.

Basically is just Rogers as of now before the freshman get acclimated - which is why one from the portal would be helpful imo.

Basically is just Rogers as of now before the freshman get acclimated - which is why one from the portal would be helpful imo.
Is Rogers still with the team? I could have sworn I heard that he left the team a long with Fields. Obviously I hope I'm incorrect about that.

Is Rogers still with the team? I could have sworn I heard that he left the team a long with Fields. Obviously I hope I'm incorrect about that.
still on the scholarship database list.

That dude that has a Husker channel on YouTube recently said Rogers left the team but he had meant Fields. And then he cried about it when many folks pointed it out.
Rogers is still here

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
I get the impression that two of these positions are relatively interchangeable, with the Jack being more of a DE/OLB hybrid. NU has Chief and Sherman, with PWill oscillating between DL and JACK. Wright, Gbayor and Bullock return and have 125 tackles combine for 2023. Who from the present roster provides depth behind these three.
Depending on how positions shake out- LBs we have in line are:
Jimari Butler
Princewell Umanmielen
MJ Sherman
Chief Borders
Mikai Gbayor
Buddha Wright
John Bullock
Maverick Noonan
Gage Stenger
Kaine Williams
Grant Tagge
Dylan Rogers

Willis McGahee IV
Vincent Shavers

The Idaho transfer would be good, or I could see them looking for one after spring.

Reactions: TOMHP
That dude that has a Husker channel on YouTube recently said Rogers left the team but he had meant Fields. And then he cried about it when many folks pointed it out.
Rogers is still here
Ok thank god. We have to have more guys like Rogers pan out and be dudes.

Hit the CC’s and get them qualified… Osborne and Snyder scouted them constantly. There are players everywhere. I was just talking to a past player from a CC in KS. He said TO and Snyder were there a lot. He had a relationship with both because they were there so frequently. Guessing it all depends on the coach and how they approach filling immediate needs.

Reactions: king_kong_
Depending on how positions shake out- LBs we have in line are:
Jimari Butler
Princewell Umanmielen
MJ Sherman
Chief Borders
Mikai Gbayor
Buddha Wright
John Bullock
Maverick Noonan
Gage Stenger
Kaine Williams
Grant Tagge
Dylan Rogers

Willis McGahee IV
Vincent Shavers

The Idaho transfer would be good, or I could see them looking for one after spring.
I believe there’s plenty of guys on that list who can play. You only take a guy IMO who you believe can come in and be a starter week one.

I believe there’s plenty of guys on that list who can play. You only take a guy IMO who you believe can come in and be a starter week one.
The guys that fit ILB on the roster are Wright, Bullock, Gbayor, Kaine William and Tagge. The Rogers kid is a tweener Edge/LB guy. Decent group.

Reactions: Hoboken Joe
Play at what level? Sure they can play or they wouldn't be here but can they play at an all B1G level (even honorable mention).

Play at what level? Sure they can play or they wouldn't be here but can they play at an all B1G level (even honorable mention).
You tell me. You’re good at asking questions. Maybe try answering your own. If you’re taking a portal linebacker he damned well better be better than the guys you already have. We won’t know about guys like McGahee for a while now will we?

Hell would the kid from Idaho play like an All American if he was getting pounded by B1G players every week? Maybe not. I’m just not of the opinion that we have to get a portal linebacker unless we can find a difference maker.

You tell me. You’re good at asking questions. Maybe try answering your own. If you’re taking a portal linebacker he damned well better be better than the guys you already have. We won’t know about guys like McGahee for a while now will we?

Hell would the kid from Idaho play like an All American if he was getting pounded by B1G players every week? Maybe not. I’m just not of the opinion that we have to get a portal linebacker unless we can find a difference maker.
McGahee and another kid are promising from the 2024 class. Wright and Bullock were the #2 and #4 tacklers on the team and Gbayor had 24 tackles. The kid from Cuse would be a good get and he is familiar with what Tony is trying to do.

McGahee and another kid are promising from the 2024 class. Wright and Bullock were the #2 and #4 tacklers on the team and Gbayor had 24 tackles. The kid from Cuse would be a good get and he is familiar with what Tony is trying to do.
I don’t believe any of us really know what we have yet in some of the young backers. I think it’s a disingenuous question to ask anybody if they’re going to be able to play at an all-conference level. Considering that we’re not necessarily getting the same recruits as Michigan and tOSU, I think the odds of us having a guy let alone multiple guys be all-conference are pretty slim.

I am looking for guys that are able to make plays at a Nebraska level at this point. Simply dudes that can make a tackle when they need to. All league? That’s a bonus.
And I think the Syracuse kid fits that bill. I think Florida State might also be in the mix.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I know I've heard of some bigger safeties dropping down.. would like to hear names on who could possibly make that jump?

The question was based on your statement, not mine.

Of course all these kids can "play" or they wouldn't be in D1 football. That's a general statement.

The question was based on your statement, not mine.

Of course all these kids can "play" or they wouldn't be in D1 football. That's a general statement.
They can play for a B1G team. We have no idea what the young guys can become. Rhule and White are probably better judges of that so if they don’t go balls to the wall trying to land a pirtal linebacker I’m not concerned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT