ADVERTISEMENT

Kong...your plan?

I go by results. And they were not good this year. I’m not going to blame the players. Teams with less talent did more. Teams with less talent played harder and smarter. I can’t believe we still have excuse makers. We need results
Of course we need to see results. Too many excuses. But not everything is an excuse. There are legitimate reasons for some of what we saw as well, but certain posters won’t allow for that at all.

The reality is that it is somewhere in the middle. Maybe it’s tilted more one way than the other, but anytime someone offers up a legitimate reason for what transpired, they get called losers and embracers of a losing culture.

We’ve got work to do. Let’s see what happens moving forward. The negativity has started so much earlier with Rhule than with any other first year coach we’ve had previously, in my opinion. Some of it is justified. But let’s see what he does moving forward, because not a single poster on this board is gonna change the course of the next year by their posts.

He takes responsibility all the time. Saying otherwise is just ridiculous.

You are just exhausting with your nonsense. You have zero interest in being honest or looking at things as they actually are. You just want to cry and spin.
I only read this portion from kong since I have him on ignore: "What a good leader does is take responsibility, talk about the steps he'll take to change and take it upon himself to let everybody know it's not acceptible and won't happen again."

That is so ****ing far from reality it's laughable. It may work in the 6U girls soccer league, but not in real athletics.
Kong, when it comes to dispensing "leadership" advice, you need to take a powder buddy.

As a leader, you don't neuter yourself in front of the press, then talk about steps you'll make tomorrow and then drop the hammer on other coaches by indication they're not performing. You'll have a mutiny on your hands and get ready with a resume generating response from those you are relying on. You can never stand in front of the press and say something "will never happen again."

Of course we need to see results. Too many excuses. But not everything is an excuse. There are legitimate reasons for some of what we saw as well, but certain posters won’t allow for that at all.

The reality is that it is somewhere in the middle. Maybe it’s tilted more one way than the other, but anytime someone offers up a legitimate reason for what transpired, they get called losers and embracers of a losing culture.

We’ve got work to do. Let’s see what happens moving forward. The negativity has started so much earlier with Rhule than with any other first year coach we’ve had previously, in my opinion. Some of it is justified. But let’s see what he does moving forward, because not a single poster on this board is gonna change the course of the next year by their posts.
Ruhle year one is basically being used as an extension of the Frost five. People are basically lumping them in together imo. I'm not the guy who says Ruhle shouldn't be criticized year one. There were some head scratching time management things, some bad play calls that I think costed us a game or two. I can hold him responsible for that but still acknowledge some improvements amidst some horrible injuries.

I don't know. I guess I could be wrong but people need to realize this isn't year six ..even though you seen some things reminiscent of the Frost Era. Give the man time and see what he does. This WAS a rebuild and it's not gonna happen year 1. Let it play out.

Holla

In Kong’s world, there’s no such thing as coach/AD speech. Everything they say you are to take at face value.
Its interesting how much “its just coach speak” talk there is around here recently. I seem to remember talk of what a breath of fresh air it was when rhules press conferences werent just the usual b.s. coach speak.
Seems ages ago now.

Reactions: Bugeater
Its interesting how much “its just coach speak” talk there is around here recently. I seem to remember talk of what a breath of fresh air it was when rhules press conferences werent just the usual b.s. coach speak.
Seems ages ago now.

I think he is refreshing. Straight to the point, open, willing to talk football. But he isn’t going to throw individual players under the bus. He is always going to say positive things about his players, his opponents, etc. I guess that is irritating and considered “coach speak” to some. To me, it’s just being professional.

Last edited:
Seems ages ago now.
Do you think everything he says is to be taken literally? Like, we should take everything he says and believe it 100% of the time? Because that’s how Kong operates. Every single time. And it’s exhausting. Trev Alberts calls this season successful and he’s pleased with what Rhule accomplished. Kong interprets that as he’s satisfied with losing and just in it for the money. News flash… as someone else already posted (headcard I think), every AD in America says the same thing in support of their coach after their first year in the program. And there’s no possible way that’s coach/AD speak? Again, directed at Kong, and he is exhausting. And he loves how smart he is with his verbal sparring. But increasingly, more and more posters are letting him know about his crazy schtick.

I’m not sure because I don’t know what our North Star is (wins? Profit?) and I don’t know what criteria have been laid out for him to measure what good looks like

I don’t think it’s crazy for a VP to be let go in year 1 if he’s not measuring up to agreed upon metrics
You’re right. I’ve seen it happen with VPs and higher at major (Fortune 500) companies if it’s just not working out.

Reactions: king_kong_
I think he is refreshing. Straight to the point, open, willing to talk football. But he isn’t going to throw individual players under the bus. He is always going to say positive things about his players, his opponents, etc. I guess that is irritating and considered “coach speak” to some. To me, it’s just being professional.
If he was straight to the point we wouldn’t need to do so much translating

It is what it is. Best to judge what he puts on the field over what he says to media.

Good news is the offseason is here and that’s the best time to be an NU fan

They did just fire a losing coach. Evaluated a program that was failing and hired a man who has a history of turning around college programs in similar positions. But I'm sure that wasn't a plan, just drew the coaches name out of a hat.
I love that...well played....

Reactions: headcard
I love that...well played....
too bad trev initially retained said losing coach, costing us at least a year of recruiting, developing, etc., and exposing us to horrendous publicity when the interim coach he handpicked beat up his wife like 5 days after the season ended with 4 wins.

probably best to forget those things, though.

too bad trev initially retained said losing coach, costing us at least a year of recruiting, developing, etc., and exposing us to horrendous publicity when the interim coach he handpicked beat up his wife like 5 days after the season ended with 4 wins.

probably best to forget those things, though.
Perhaps Trev thought that by retaining Frost, we would turn a corner a win some of the close games instead of losing. We were only a few plays away from a 9-3 or a 10-2 season in 2021.

Perhaps Trev thought that by retaining Frost, we would turn a corner a win some of the close games instead of losing. We were only a few plays away from a 9-3 or a 10-2 season in 2021.
And now years later we’re 5-7 and still “only a few plays away from 9-3 or 10-2”

Do you think everything he says is to be taken literally? Like, we should take everything he says and believe it 100% of the time? Because that’s how Kong operates. Every single time. And it’s exhausting. Trev Alberts calls this season successful and he’s pleased with what Rhule accomplished. Kong interprets that as he’s satisfied with losing and just in it for the money. News flash… as someone else already posted (headcard I think), every AD in America says the same thing in support of their coach after their first year in the program. And there’s no possible way that’s coach/AD speak? Again, directed at Kong, and he is exhausting. And he loves how smart he is with his verbal sparring. But increasingly, more and more posters are letting him know about his crazy schtick.
People are so irritated with kong because he might be right about some uncomfortable things. If he wasnt he would be harmless and people wouldnt care what he says.

I dont care what trev says. I personally am seeing with this board regarding rhule some of the same things I saw with riley and frost. The goal posts and narratives are starting to change.

People are so irritated with kong because he might be right about some uncomfortable things. If he wasnt he would be harmless and people wouldnt care what he says.

I dont care what trev says. I personally am seeing with this board regarding rhule some of the same things I saw with riley and frost. The goal posts and narratives are starting to change.
I don’t disagree about changing goal posts. But they are easier to change after one year than 3 years in. Doesn’t make it right…

But the reason people are irritated with Kong isn’t because he might be right about some uncomfortable things. It’s because if he thinks he’s right about these uncomfortable things (always), he is insufferable in his proclamation of how right he is and how everyone else hates HH because they don’t see what he sees. That’s just one example of many.

I don’t disagree about changing goal posts. But they are easier to change after one year than 3 years in. Doesn’t make it right…

But the reason people are irritated with Kong isn’t because he might be right about some uncomfortable things. It’s because if he thinks he’s right about these uncomfortable things (always), he is insufferable in his proclamation of how right he is and how everyone else hates HH because they don’t see what he sees. That’s just one example of many.
Theres some truth to what he says. If there wasnt no one would care.

Theres some truth to what he says. If there wasnt no one would care.
I never said there wasn’t. Not sure how else I can say it. It’s how he says it. He trolls this board to the Nth degree and loves doing it. He lives to piss others off. It’s not just that he’s right. Just look at the increasing number of posters who are taking issue with Kong's posts. It’s growing daily. Even posters who have never addressed him directly are doing so. That’s more than just because he’s speaking truth.

I never said there wasn’t. Not sure how else I can say it. It’s how he says it. He trolls this board to the Nth degree and loves doing it. He lives to piss others off. It’s not just that he’s right. Just look at the increasing number of posters who are taking issue with Kong's posts. It’s growing daily. Even posters who have never addressed him directly are doing so. That’s more than just because he’s speaking truth.
This

I only read this portion from kong since I have him on ignore: "What a good leader does is take responsibility, talk about the steps he'll take to change and take it upon himself to let everybody know it's not acceptible and won't happen again."

That is so ****ing far from reality it's laughable. It may work in the 6U girls soccer league, but not in real athletics.
Kong, when it comes to dispensing "leadership" advice, you need to take a powder buddy.

As a leader, you don't neuter yourself in front of the press, then talk about steps you'll make tomorrow and then drop the hammer on other coaches by indication they're not performing. You'll have a mutiny on your hands and get ready with a resume generating response from those you are relying on. You can never stand in front of the press and say something "will never happen again."
Am I reading correctly that a good leader doesn’t take responsibility publicly and state which actions they will take in the future to correct issues?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT