ADVERTISEMENT

Kong...your plan?

regoratsginrom

Blackshirt
May 15, 2004
Kong...you seem to be critical of just about everything and everyone associated with the program (which is totally your right). That said, what would be your plan for the program going forward if you had a blank slate? Give us a handful of specifics (not just lobbing criticisms). What are your fixes (honestly curious)?

Blank slate?

Easy:

1.) align on number one goal for the athletic dept: do we want to win? Do we want to maximize profit?

2.) establish tangible, objective, non-negotiable criteria for what success looks like: x wins/achievement per season, x percent profit growth per fiscal year, etc.

3.) hire people who align to 1 with proven track record of 2

4.) solicit feedback, make necessary adjustments in response to internal/external factors

5.) deliver hyper transparent public quarterly reviews

These 5 steps are a proven model of success in the private sector in every single industry, including sports

From what I can tell, we don’t do any of them

Are you suggesting that 5 wins only garners a certain salary? Seven wins get you another (higher) salary and ten wins get you another (higher) salary?

Blank slate?

Easy:

1.) align on number one goal for the athletic dept: do we want to win? Do we want to maximize profit?

2.) establish tangible, objective, non-negotiable criteria for what success looks like: x wins/achievement per season, x percent profit growth per fiscal year, etc.

4.) solicit feedback, make necessary adjustments in response to internal/external factors

These 5 steps are a proven model of success in the private sector in every single industry, including sports

That’s a nice layout for any team in general. You have my attention. What would you do SPECIFICALLY with our team given the current state based on your outline.

Is Rhule aligned with strategy 1 and has experience with 2? Would you fire him?

Give us some actual things you would do with this plan of your in relation to our current structure and personnel

Are you suggesting that 5 wins only garners a certain salary? Seven wins get you another (higher) salary and ten wins get you another (higher) salary?
Bonus structures are already in place, including for our current underachieving staff

I am suggesting the success criteria is either met or not

Perhaps for trev, and his public statements certainly suggest as much, 5 wins in year 1 is successful

That’s a nice layout for any team in general. You have my attention. What would you do SPECIFICALLY with our team given the current state based on your outline.

Is Rhule aligned with strategy 1 and has experience with 2? Would you fire him?

Give us some actual things you would do with this plan of your in relation to our current structure and personnel
I’m not sure because I don’t know what our North Star is (wins? Profit?) and I don’t know what criteria have been laid out for him to measure what good looks like

I don’t think it’s crazy for a VP to be let go in year 1 if he’s not measuring up to agreed upon metrics

Reactions: HUSKERBILL
Bonus structures are already in place, including for our current underachieving staff

I am suggesting the success criteria is either met or not

Perhaps for trev, and his public statements certainly suggest as much, 5 wins in year 1 is successful

I read a word salad when I read what you'd do. I was asking for specifics. No coach who has options is going to work for you under said word salad...tbey will go elsewhere....and if Rhule contines to fail, he will be gone.

I read a word salad when I read what you'd do. I was asking for specifics. No coach who has options is going to work for you under said word salad...tbey will go elsewhere....and if Rhule contines to fail, he will be gone.
I don’t know what “fail” is in this situation

Neither do you

Based on trev’s public sentiments, Rhule has been a glowing success

Blank slate?

Easy:

2.) establish tangible, objective criteria for what success looks like: x wins/achievement per season, x percent profit growth per fiscal year, etc.

Damn Kong, that looks like something that Michael Scott would come up with!

To be fair, I think he has already included specifics in a lot of his complaints. I already know he thinks Rhule contradicts his actions vis-a-vis what he says in pressers. I already know he thinks Satt refuses to stick with what the offense does well. I already know he thinks the AD cares more about cashing checks than winning games.

I really want to like Rhule, but it pisses me off when he comes to the presser and says "I still think Purdy and Haarberg can be really good." Honestly, that's a slap in the face to the fans that have lived and died with this program for decades. Don't piss in my face and tell me it's raining. So, I care more about that than grinding an axe with Kong because you think he's too critical.

To be fair, I think he has already included specifics in a lot of his complaints. I already know he thinks Rhule contradicts his actions vis-a-vis what he says in pressers. I already know he thinks Satt refuses to stick with what the offense does well. I already know he thinks the AD cares more about cashing checks than winning games.

I really want to like Rhule, but it pisses me off when he comes to the presser and says "I still think Purdy and Haarberg can be really good." Honestly, that's a slap in the face to the fans that have lived and died with this program for decades. Don't piss in my face and tell me it's raining. So, I care more about that than grinding an axe with Kong because you think he's too critical.

This coach isn’t going to shit on the players. He isn’t going to publicly say Haarberg and Purdy suck, and he shouldn’t. There is nothing to gain from that. Why does that piss you off?

I don’t know what “fail” is in this situation

Neither do you

Based on trev’s public sentiments, Rhule has been a glowing success

I don't think you want to be the school known for firing coaches after one season. You'd never attract a quality reolacement unless you handed him a salary so large it would be insane.

Rhule should have gotten to 6 wins this year, he didn't. But he can't be held to the frustration of the program the 6 years prior. He has brought in a lot of new players - many who played and performed. We just had another pretty good recruiting class and with some good OL. It takes actual time to do a rebuild since you can't rely on underclassmen to win you football games.

Fix some of the offense and we have a decent team next year imo. All the talk and coach speak won't matter so I will let Rhule do his off-season. No excuses not to go bowling next year though. I don't expect to win 9 games, but we have to at least win 6. I think that will happen. Keep building and developing.

Yeah coaches publicly trashing their quarterbacks always works out really swell.

Blank slate?

Easy:

I am sure all the players agree with you that your five points of rhetoric is the only thing they lacked in the single digit games they lost this year. There was nothing they could have done.

Last edited:
There better be some TPS reports involved

office-space-boss.gif

Ok fair.. but what do you expect a coach to say?come out and say the guys he has right now are not good enough? Is that what you woukd want your son to hear? And if he did do that then everyone would be in the portal like Sanders squad and people would be all over him for retention? I mean I get what everyone is saying we need better players,better coaching, and better results.. some of his coaching decisions are hot garbage but lets give him the chance to make some changes and adjustments next year. The kids love him ..kids are still coming to play for him and want to run through a brick wall. STILL after a 5 win season.. im not trying to argue just saying my .02

Yeah coaches publicly trashing their quarterbacks always works out really swell.
That's not my point, that he should trash them. I don't think it would be unreasonable to acknowledge that the QB play was not good, he's already said that more than once. Why not say, it needs to be better, I still like our guys, but we're looking at any and all ways that we can improve, including the portal.

My biggest nightmare is that he ACTUALLY believes he can win with those guys and that he's not looking desperately for a guy in the portal.

Ok fair.. but what do you expect a coach to say?come out and say the guys he has right now are not good enough? Is that what you woukd want your son to hear? And if he did do that then everyone would be in the portal like Sanders squad and people would be all over him for retention? I mean I get what everyone is saying we need better players,better coaching, and better results.. some of his coaching decisions are hot garbage but lets give him the chance to make some changes and adjustments next year. The kids love him ..kids are still coming to play for him and want to run through a brick wall. STILL after a 5 win season.. im not trying to argue just saying my .02
If your son was one of those QB's you'd have to be stupid to not already know that their play was grossly terrible this season. Does it make you feel better if the coach butters you up with coach-speak and platitudes? If I was Haarberg's Dad I would want him at TE or WR in order to get him to the NFL.

This coach isn’t going to shit on the players. He isn’t going to publicly say Haarberg and Purdy suck, and he shouldn’t. There is nothing to gain from that. Why does that piss you off?
Because you, I and everyone else already knows that they suck. Again, there's a version of that PC where he doesn't shit on them but doesn't tell us how great he thinks they can be while making excuses for them. It's not that hard.

I’m not sure because I don’t know what our North Star is (wins? Profit?) and I don’t know what criteria have been laid out for him to measure what good looks like

I don’t think it’s crazy for a VP to be let go in year 1 if he’s not measuring up to agreed upon metrics
So your saying trev and Nebraska is like the Kansas City Royals, they don’t care about Winning theyll just take the money

That's not my point, that he should trash them. I don't think it would be unreasonable to acknowledge that the QB play was not good, he's already said that more than once. Why not say, it needs to be better, I still like our guys, but we're looking at any and all ways that we can improve, including the portal.

My biggest nightmare is that he ACTUALLY believes he can win with those guys and that he's not looking desperately for a guy in the portal.

It bothered you that he was nice to his QB's at a presser...where the season is already over and nothing can be dun to change the past. He knows we need an upgrade there but doesn't see the point in being a dick about it... plus, it might not help attract another QB if he is a dick about it.

Blank slate?

Easy:

Of course 1-4 are being done/have been done. Are you even serious suggesting they aren't? You and I are just not important enough to be at the table, so we don't get to see it. Same with #5, they go over those things with their team, but there is no reason you and I need to see their reviews.

You say this process is done in every industry, including sports, but you don't get to see it with any team. Yet you just assume the most successful teams are using this magic formula (which is very basic common sense type stuff), and others aren't. Like these multi-million dollar franchises don't have clear goals and strategic plans, and these guys are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs all day.

It bothered you that he was nice to his QB's at a presser...where the season is already over and nothing can be dun to change the past. He knows we need an upgrade there but doesn't see the point in being a dick about it... plus, it might not help attract another QB if he is a dick about it.
looks like Kong wants prime, so the coach can degrade his players. Or maybe kong is just Bo or Carl or even Mary pat

Point out where I said he should be a dick about it.

We had 5 wins. We lost to bad teams. Our schedule was so easy that any top 25 team would have been 10-2 or 11-1. We had the worst offense I've ever seen since starting to watch Nebraska in 1988. We were literally at the bottom when Rhule started and we ended at the bottom to finish the season.

I want Matt Rhule to be a good hire. I do think our defense played inspired ball under Tony White's direction. But I am feeling like this is more of the same bullshit. And again, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Of course 1-4 are being done/have been done. Are you even serious suggesting they aren't? You and I are just not important enough to be at the table, so we don't get to see it. Same with #5, they go over those things with their team, but there is no reason you and I need to see their reviews.

You say this process is done in every industry, including sports, but you don't get to see it with any team. Yet you just assume the most successful teams are using this magic formula (which is very basic common sense type stuff), and others aren't. Like these multi-million dollar franchises don't have clear goals and strategic plans, and these guys are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs all day.
I agree with you.

It does seem infinitely clear what our North Star within the athletic department is and that the powers that be are working hard to achieve it.

I perhaps need to adjust my expectations to more closely align with the athletic department’s charter, which now that I think about it has been spelled out pretty clearly.

I agree with you.

It does seem infinitely clear what our North Star within the athletic department is and that the powers that be are working hard to achieve it.

I perhaps need to adjust my expectations to more closely align with the athletic department’s charter, which now that I think about it has been spelled out pretty clearly.

They did just fire a losing coach. Evaluated a program that was failing and hired a man who has a history of turning around college programs in similar positions. But I'm sure that wasn't a plan, just drew the coaches name out of a hat.

We had 5 wins. We lost to bad teams. Our schedule was so easy that any top 25 team would have been 10-2 or 11-1. We had the worst offense I've ever seen since starting to watch Nebraska in 1988. We were literally at the bottom when Rhule started and we ended at the bottom to finish the season.

I want Matt Rhule to be a good hire. I do think our defense played inspired ball under Tony White's direction. But I am feeling like this is more of the same bullshit. And again, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.
It’s year 1 with lacking depth in critical areas thanks to mike riley and golden boy Scott lost, you can only fix so much but I will admit they gambled on sims and lost big time. I find it interesting that the younger fans are more disappointed that us older ones, like fire rhule now you would think us older guys would be less tolerant heck I myself have had the privilege to watch all national championships games and I hate the state of the program but you can’t be firing a coach every year we’d definitely be in a hole we’d never get out . Myself I trust trev and Rhule they will turn it around..

They did just fire a losing coach. Evaluated a program that was failing and hired a man who has a history of turning around college programs in similar positions. But I'm sure that wasn't a plan, just drew the coaches name out of a hat.
It’s worked out great for Trev. I’m sure when the revenue numbers are reported our top line will have grown at an acceptable (or better) rate.

Will be interesting to see where the operating expenses come in year over year.

If your son was one of those QB's you'd have to be stupid to not already know that their play was grossly terrible this season. Does it make you feel better if the coach butters you up with coach-speak and platitudes? If I was Haarberg's Dad I would want him at TE or WR in order to get him to the NFL.
No like I said I wouldnt want my sons coach shaming him or anyone in public.. thats a huge difference and none of us know whats said in the coaches office..some of the fans want that. Im not one of them

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying at all.

Another example is Rhule saying “we’re trying to win the game” after the Maryland gaffe

What a good leader does is take responsibility, talk about the steps he’ll take to change and take it upon himself to let everybody know it’s not acceptable and it won’t happen again

Instead, there’s no accountability, we use the same process and throw another game ending INT two weeks later

Ah well, we were trying to win the game. Nobody’s fault.

Reactions: mgbreis
Kong...you seem to be critical of just about everything and everyone associated with the program (which is totally your right). That said, what would be your plan for the program going forward if you had a blank slate? Give us a handful of specifics (not just lobbing criticisms). What are your fixes (honestly curious)?
If Matt Rhule doesn't succeed, Nebraska should hire @KingKong as the next head coach.

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying at all.

Another example is Rhule saying “we’re trying to win the game” after the Maryland gaffe

What a good leader does is take responsibility, talk about the steps he’ll take to change and take it upon himself to let everybody know it’s not acceptable and it won’t happen again

Instead, there’s no accountability, we use the same process and throw another game ending INT two weeks later

Ah well, we were trying to win the game. Nobody’s fault.

He takes responsibility all the time. Saying otherwise is just ridiculous.

You are just exhausting with your nonsense. You have zero interest in being honest or looking at things as they actually are. You just want to cry and spin.

He takes responsibility all the time. You are just exhausting with your nonsense.
It was nice to hear him say - after 12 games and leading the nation in fumbles from wire to wire - that “how they hold the ball moving forward is on me”

Reactions: HUSKERBILL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT