ADVERTISEMENT

Kong...your plan?

To be fair, he said that earlier in the year…to the effect of “obviously we’re not doing a good enough job of coaching.”
He also said the way Haarberg carries the ball is “beautiful” and “exactly how we teach it”

Just curious, anyone care about how the players feel? They are the ones putting all the hours in, beat up, on the field and in the papers, what are we saying to them? If we have players coming to Nebraska because of what Rhule is selling, there must be something to it. Look at the difference between CU and Nebraska. CU is losing players faster than ever, and we have what, 3-4 top state players coming in? I realize these players are getting paid, but they are human, not in the NFL, and the little cuts hurt too. What do the players think about the coaches/coaching? Or is it all about money/wins/loses? Thoughts?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Just curious, anyone care about how the players feel? They are the ones putting all the hours in, beat up, on the field and in the papers, what are we saying to them? If we have players coming to Nebraska because of what Rhule is selling, there must be something to it. Look at the difference between CU and Nebraska. CU is losing players faster than ever, and we have what, 3-4 top state players coming in? I realize these players are getting paid, but they are human, not in the NFL, and the little cuts hurt too. What do the players think about the coaches/coaching? Or is it all about money/wins/loses? Thoughts?
Its business, not personal.

Results matter. Feelings don’t.

Blank slate?

Easy:

1.) align on number one goal for the athletic dept: do we want to win? Do we want to maximize profit?

2.) establish tangible, objective, non-negotiable criteria for what success looks like: x wins/achievement per season, x percent profit growth per fiscal year, etc.

3.) hire people who align to 1 with proven track record of 2

4.) solicit feedback, make necessary adjustments in response to internal/external factors

5.) deliver hyper transparent public quarterly reviews

These 5 steps are a proven model of success in the private sector in every single industry, including sports

From what I can tell, we don’t do any of them

States "easy" and then creates a list of multiple questions... I guess now you just need to answer the questions you posed and what YOU want. All these questions do is leave an opening to continue criticizing.

Very curious to hear your response to item #2.

Its business, not personal.

Results matter. Feelings don’t.
I agree 💯. Which to me is unfortunate. We will never outspend the Texas and Alabamas, so Nebraska has to be innovative to get student athletes here. Continuously flipping coaches/position coaches can't be good for maintaining a personal relationship with the players, which sometimes can make all the difference. I know my daughter would follow her coach anywhere,money be damned.

We had 5 wins. We lost to bad teams. Our schedule was so easy that any top 25 team would have been 10-2 or 11-1. We had the worst offense I've ever seen since starting to watch Nebraska in 1988. We were literally at the bottom when Rhule started and we ended at the bottom to finish the season.

I want Matt Rhule to be a good hire. I do think our defense played inspired ball under Tony White's direction. But I am feeling like this is more of the same bullshit. And again, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.
I get your argument, we should have been better than we were, but you’re comparing us to any top 25 team, and I gotta ask, is that a fair comparison? Of course any top 25 team would be 10-2. The only one in the top 25 in the west went 10-2. But we are not a top 25 team. We weren’t at the start of the season, the middle of the season, or the end of the season. So why are you comparing us to a top 25 team?

He also said the way Haarberg carries the ball is “beautiful” and “exactly how we teach it”
You do realize that one example does not a year make. They don't teach to throw INT's but they happen. Good grief, I don't know that I have ever seen someone has diluted as you kong. On one hand you hail the simple, run deep throw the ball, play HH, etc etc, then on the other spew baseless tenants of success with no way to fully evaluate them.

I get your argument, we should have been better than we were, but you’re comparing us to any top 25 team, and I gotta ask, is that a fair comparison? Of course any top 25 team would be 10-2. The only one in the top 25 in the west went 10-2. But we are not a top 25 team. We weren’t at the start of the season, the middle of the season, or the end of the season. So why are you comparing us to a top 25 team?
I’m not comparing us. I’m stating our schedule was that easy.

It’s year 1 with lacking depth in critical areas thanks to mike riley and golden boy Scott lost, you can only fix so much but I will admit they gambled on sims and lost big time. I find it interesting that the younger fans are more disappointed that us older ones, like fire rhule now you would think us older guys would be less tolerant heck I myself have had the privilege to watch all national championships games and I hate the state of the program but you can’t be firing a coach every year we’d definitely be in a hole we’d never get out . Myself I trust trev and Rhule they will turn it around..
I don’t want to fire him. I just need to see more out of the staff than a disappointing year.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I’m not comparing us. I’m stating our schedule was that easy.
It absolutely was as easy as it gets. And we sucked. But there are so many teams in the middle where we reside who also fell flat like us. It is what it is. But it can’t remain this way. Rhule, as a coach, has shown an upward trajectory at every college stop. That has to continue.

It absolutely was as easy as it gets. And we sucked. But there are so many teams in the middle where we reside who also fell flat like us. It is what it is. But it can’t remain this way. Rhule, as a coach, has shown an upward trajectory at every college stop. That has to continue.
Hope you’re right

You do realize that one example does not a year make. They don't teach to throw INT's but they happen. Good grief, I don't know that I have ever seen someone has diluted as you kong. On one hand you hail the simple, run deep throw the ball, play HH, etc etc, then on the other spew baseless tenants of success with no way to fully evaluate them.
Did i say that?

Its an example

I judge the team and the coach and the AD on what I see on the field

If what you saw was good enough for you, I won’t chastise you for it

States "easy" and then creates a list of multiple questions... I guess now you just need to answer the questions you posed and what YOU want. All these questions do is leave an opening to continue criticizing.

Very curious to hear your response to item #2.
Trev has already publicly applauded Rhule for this year, so I can only assume he either:

1.) met or exceeded his achievement metric

Or

2.) met or exceeded his revenue growth metric

Any other assumption is illogical

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Trev has already publicly applauded Rhule for this year, so I can only assume he either:

1.) met or exceeded his achievement metric

Or

2.) met or exceeded his revenue growth metric

Any other assumption is illogical
3.) He is BS'ing, but hopefully everyone buys it because his job is on the line if Matt Rhule fails.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
If your son was one of those QB's you'd have to be stupid to not already know that their play was grossly terrible this season. Does it make you feel better if the coach butters you up with coach-speak and platitudes? If I was Haarberg's Dad I would want him at TE or WR in order to get him to the NFL.

This is probably one of the few things I actually have a bit of a problem with MR about. He's known as a coach who switches these guys in positions to succeed and possibly have a future at the next level.

HH could be the poster child for that as an H-back/TE. That dude is big, strong, fast, and coachable. He ISN'T a QB though and it's pretty obvious. I think the coaches know that as well and right now they are trying to finesse this thing with him and our sensitive ass fan base.

If they truly wanna die that kid a favor ENCOURAGE him to switch permanently to that TE spot. They had already persuaded him to take some reps there before having to move him back to QB. I love that kid but we are not winning anything of value anyways if he has to be the long-term answer. The sooner the make that switch the better. Hell I think Blake Bell is still collecting an NFL check and I don't think he was near the athlete HH is. I hope the coaches can make him understand that instead of dragging this QB fantasy out any longer.

Holla

We had 5 wins. We lost to bad teams. Our schedule was so easy that any top 25 team would have been 10-2 or 11-1. We had the worst offense I've ever seen since starting to watch Nebraska in 1988. We were literally at the bottom when Rhule started and we ended at the bottom to finish the season.

I want Matt Rhule to be a good hire. I do think our defense played inspired ball under Tony White's direction. But I am feeling like this is more of the same bullshit. And again, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.
100% agree with you. Bill Callahan started 5-7. Mike Riley started 5-7. Scott Frost started 4-8. All three ended up being bad hires. The tone was set in their first years.

Also troubling was that in the case of Callahan and Riley, both got "their QBs" in their final years. Sam Keller and Tanner Lee, respectively. And everyone kept saying, "Now that [Cally/Riley] has their guy, we'll finally see what they're capable of." Unsurprisingly, we saw exactly what they were capable of in their first years. And their final years reflected that.

This was one of the easiest schedules NU has had in a very long time. And the total collapse in November was beyond troubling. Any decent head coach would have gone 8-4 with this schedule. Especially in the Big Ten West. To be right there for bowl eligibility at 5-3 and then lose every single game remaining on the schedule is...well...telling.

I am not onboard with Rhule at all. Hopefully he proves me wrong in the next couple years. But I have my doubts. It will be more of the same.

Damn Kong, that looks like something that Michael Scott would come up with!

To be fair, I think he has already included specifics in a lot of his complaints. I already know he thinks Rhule contradicts his actions vis-a-vis what he says in pressers. I already know he thinks Satt refuses to stick with what the offense does well. I already know he thinks the AD cares more about cashing checks than winning games.

I really want to like Rhule, but it pisses me off when he comes to the presser and says "I still think Purdy and Haarberg can be really good." Honestly, that's a slap in the face to the fans that have lived and died with this program for decades. Don't piss in my face and tell me it's raining. So, I care more about that than grinding an axe with Kong because you think he's too critical.
Rhule is trying to stroke HH and CP so they stick around. We’re screwed if we don’t land a good portal QB AND Purdy leaves.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and kakdawg
It's easy to see why the AD might think the first season a success. Look at what Rhule has done regarding his track record. Rhule has actually exceeded all his past year 1 performances.

You can't hire a guy thinking he's going to buck his own trend. If he does buck his trend for the positive,...shame on you for expecting anything more. That's a you problem at that point. Don't blame your tools. Blame yourself, you hired him. Get better at hiring the guys who perform like you expect, not the ones who don't have a history of doing so.

Your as bipolar as kong, I admit I was wrong about TO record, its his record in bowl games he was 12-13 so you go on holding kongs hand and be miserable till next fall
Another loser that can’t look up basic stats & also doesn’t understand the difference between your and you’re.. our education system has been a failure

Rhule is trying to stroke HH and CP so they stick around. We’re screwed if we don’t land a good portal QB AND Purdy leaves.
We're going to land a good portal QB. Too many available, too much opportunity/lack of competition here, and despite the weird messaging Nebraska has decent NIL.

This is probably one of the few things I actually have a bit of a problem with MR about. He's known as a coach who switches these guys in positions to succeed and possibly have a future at the next level.

HH could be the poster child for that as an H-back/TE. That dude is big, strong, fast, and coachable. He ISN'T a QB though and it's pretty obvious. I think the coaches know that as well and right now they are trying to finesse this thing with him and our sensitive ass fan base.

If they truly wanna die that kid a favor ENCOURAGE him to switch permanently to that TE spot. They had already persuaded him to take some reps there before having to move him back to QB. I love that kid but we are not winning anything of value anyways if he has to be the long-term answer. The sooner the make that switch the better. Hell I think Blake Bell is still collecting an NFL check and I don't think he was near the athlete HH is. I hope the coaches can make him understand that instead of dragging this QB fantasy out any longer.

Holla
Well said. I guess maybe Rhule knew the QB position was a mess this year and he'd need Haarberg. Hopefully that ends soon. Not sure why HH wouldn't look at all the stud TE's in the NFL right now and think, "I could do that."

That's all this is. I'm actually surprised fans can't recognize this. They want Ruhle to say " hey guys I know our QBs sucked and we have to replace them in the portal".

In what world does that make sense. He's playing the game and it doesn't take a genius to figure out. Until he has "a guy" he will play it close to the vest. Even after that he won't throw those guys under the bus. That's not what he does and I understand it.

Fans want a pound of flesh but he won't give it. I'm sure the players appreciate it. I know I would. When he says something to the media you can believe the players have already heard it

Holla

100% agree with you. Bill Callahan started 5-7. Mike Riley started 5-7. Scott Frost started 4-8. All three ended up being bad hires. The tone was set in their first years.

Also troubling was that in the case of Callahan and Riley, both got "their QBs" in their final years. Sam Keller and Tanner Lee, respectively. And everyone kept saying, "Now that [Cally/Riley] has their guy, we'll finally see what they're capable of." Unsurprisingly, we saw exactly what they were capable of in their first years. And their final years reflected that.

This was one of the easiest schedules NU has had in a very long time. And the total collapse in November was beyond troubling. Any decent head coach would have gone 8-4 with this schedule. Especially in the Big Ten West. To be right there for bowl eligibility at 5-3 and then lose every single game remaining on the schedule is...well...telling.

I am not onboard with Rhule at all. Hopefully he proves me wrong in the next couple years. But I have my doubts. It will be more of the same.
I go by results. And they were not good this year. I’m not going to blame the players. Teams with less talent did more. Teams with less talent played harder and smarter. I can’t believe we still have excuse makers. We need results

Reactions: maly and king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT