ADVERTISEMENT

Keyshawn gone

Well then it's all of them (it's not, but if you throw in underage drinking the numbers rise even more dramatically.) I don't even think it's the coach's culture. Just 15-25 year olds in general.

So you just want to selectively choose which illegal activities are the fault of the coach's culture?

So you just want to selectively choose which illegal activities are the fault of the coach's culture?

I've never said it was the coach's culture. Just American young adult culture. Not sure how many ways I can say that for you. It is for sure a culture, though.

I've never said it was the coach's culture. Just American young adult culture. Not sure how many ways I can say that for you. It is for sure a culture, though.

Typical message board thread I suppose. People read one post and don't look at context.

The original discussion was about taking inventory of the football program and its culture and not looking at the American culture with regards to 15-25 year olds. Which is a entirely different discussion.

Looking at the culture is a fair question. However, frankly it is one that none of us who are on the outside looking in can accurately answer. We have had a number of incidents this year. Is it a troubling sign of something going wrong and these incidents are just indicators of a downward spiral or is this just a few kids being young and dumb? It's a question that should be asked but it's Riley and his staff who have to evaluate the culture and ultimately come up with the answer.

Looking at the culture is a fair question. However, frankly it is one that none of us who are on the outside looking in can accurately answer. We have had a number of incidents this year. Is it a troubling sign of something going wrong and these incidents are just indicators of a downward spiral or is this just a few kids being young and dumb? It's a question that should be asked but it's Riley and his staff who have to evaluate the culture and ultimately come up with the answer.

Sure. Like the evaluation of the program in the 1990's.

As long as we are winning or Tom Osborne is the coach, players can sexually assault women, beat women, shoot at vehicles, carry weapons on campus. But get a coach that isn't canonized into sainthood by the Nebraska fans and a couple of kids with weed and now there is a need to evaluate culture.

The hypocrisy runs deep.

As long as we are winning or Tom Osborne is the coach, players can sexually assault women, beat women, shoot at vehicles, carry weapons on campus. But get a coach that isn't canonized into sainthood by the Nebraska fans and a couple of kids with weed and now there is a need to evaluate culture.

The hypocrisy runs deep.

Well as we all know. Jason Peter went around roughing guys up and yelling at them, and everything just kind of fell into place. :)

It used to be that the NU athletes would get drunk and have a problem with their cars running into things and other people (including a teammate) and with their fists running into other people's heads. Now they smoke some weed and mind their own business - looks like improvement to me!

Actually, if weed is the greatest of our concerns, I'm fine with that given how nutball some programs already are and can get if they spin out of control. It should be legal, anyway, and is legal in our neighbor to the west.
is there a legal age in Colorado?

Keyshawn had some grades issues as well. Not sure if it would have resulted in eligibility issues but the Juco route if taken might ease some scholastic issues if he were to return

The hypocrisy runs deep.
No problem with Osborne evaluating the culture of the program during that time. It was probably needed. I also don't think it's a bad thing for Riley to get with those close to the program and say, "Do we have a problem, do we need to make changes, do we need to address some of these issue or let it blow over."

Why you would have a problem with evaluation is beyond me.

Keyshawn had some grades issues as well. Not sure if it would have resulted in eligibility issues but the Juco route if taken might ease some scholastic issues if he were to return
Yeah, Keyshawn had to take the same route. He went JUCO (I think for a couple years) to get grades good enough for college. The JUCO worked for him to get the grades. Maybe this will help Junior too.

No problem with Osborne evaluating the culture of the program during that time. It was probably needed. I also don't think it's a bad thing for Riley to get with those close to the program and say, "Do we have a problem, do we need to make changes, do we need to address some of these issue or let it blow over."

Why you would have a problem with evaluation is beyond me.

There was no evaluation done then either. The behavior was just swept under the rug or fans looked the other way and explained it away, simply because it was TO and he knew best.

Lets keep in mind here that there's two huge components that the whole rest of the team doesn't have here.

Key Sr is best buds with the HC and has been for decades. He is also not "Joe Smith" in the eyes of the public.

Who knows what directives he gave Williams or Riley to say "if my son is not living up to XYZ standard, you need to be on the phone with me".

Especially since he has publically announced that shaming his family name was a major component of this.

If Sichterman is busted for pot, Riley doesn't call his old man to talk it over with him. Nor is old man Sichterman looking to pull Jr out of school to protect his brand.

Let me be clear, KJJ made this mess, but let's recognize he's on a shorter leash than pretty much anyone on the roster.

Everyone is giving props to KJSr., but there is something to be said for allowing a kid to dig himself out of the trouble he created, without dad swooping in and pulling him out of school. If I were dad, and the issues weren't major (which they don't appear to be), I would monitor him from afar, and have him work through the issues he is going through. Put in the work to get himself out of trouble.

Everyone is giving props to KJSr., but there is something to be said for allowing a kid to dig himself out of the trouble he created, without dad swooping in and pulling him out of school. If I were dad, and the issues weren't major (which they don't appear to be), I would monitor him from afar, and have him work through the issues he is going through. Put in the work to get himself out of trouble.

I'm gonna go ahead and give Sr. the benefit of doubt on this.
What you would do does not matter because you have no idea what the deal really is.

I'm gonna go ahead give Sr. the benefit of doubt on this.
What you would do doesn't matter because you have no idea what is the deal really is.

And the kid only has five years total to get it right. He needs to nip the issues in the bud before time starts running out.

Reactions: c2o
I didn't take Du's comment as being critical so much as waxing poetic about an alternative.

And let me be clear, the purpose of my post was not to criticize Sr's parenting decision either.

It was simply to note that before people jump off the deep end about what Riley's culture is or what the culture of young people is, this is to a degree a "normal" situation (from what we understand) that has been blown up drastically because its a celebrity player and his son that we're talking about.

Last year we had a captain basically decide school was optional, this year we had the #1 WR decide to roll with weed in a vehicle in another state. It seems like every year there's a guy or two who doesn't hit the weight room like he should.

No one's dad's pulled them out of school for those offenses, no one's dad issued public proclamations explaining the issue, and no one in Husker nation over reacted to the situation, besides a few gripes about whether a 1 or 2 game suspension would take care of it or was too much punishment.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I don't think this is a big deal. KJ does. He doesn't want his son screwing up this opportunity. I can respect that. Pot is not that big of a deal. In this case, it's part of a bigger picture of his son not giving his best effort. So, before it's too late, dad wants to make sure that his son got his priorities in order. I'm hopeful that after a semester under the close watch of daddy, KJJ will be ready to return and put in the work that is consistent with the family name.

Reactions: baseball31ne
There was no evaluation done then either. The behavior was just swept under the rug or fans looked the other way and explained it away, simply because it was TO and he knew best.
I have no idea if there was an evaluation in the 90's...nor do you. I'm guessing there was and TO telling LP to move on was part of that. By '97 many of the issues from '94 and '95 were gone. I have no idea if Riley will sit with his staff and maybe Shawn and address the situation...nor do you. I, however, think it would be a good move.

Last edited:
Ha ha ok. Neither of us know but you believe there was. Keeping LP around and playing him after a short 6 game suspension was proof nothing was evaluated. Christian Peter was suspended for one game after being convicted of sexual assault 2 years before the LP incident. So even if the 1996 and 1997 had fewer incidents, there were still some. And the crimes committed in those years were a whole lot more significant and damaging than smoking weed and skipping class.

Reactions: Red Steve
I'm gonna go ahead and give Sr. the benefit of doubt on this.
What you would do does not matter because you have no idea what the deal really is.

I don't agree with what he is doing, but I believe in allowing kids to go through a little pain and being involved in the decision to fix it themselves, so they learn the lesson the first time. With dad making all the decisions, the kids is left to not have to think through any of the reasons why he failed.

I don't agree with what he is doing, but I believe in allowing kids to go through a little pain and being involved in the decision to fix it themselves, so they learn the lesson the first time. With dad making all the decisions, the kids is left to not have to think through any of the reasons why he failed.

From what I understand this was a preventative move made to avoid a potentially embarrassing event from taking place later.

Draw your own conclusions, but it isnt tough to figure out.

The public embarrassment of having your Dad publicly admonish you and then pull your butt out of school I would think would be enough pain for any young adult. Daddy could have gone off on the school or coaches but instead he did the right thing. KJJ now has the opportunity to "fix" his issues or he won't be playing football at NU.

There goes the California connection.

The 4 commits from California (out of 11) that were a part of our 2018 class up until a couple of days ago (before we sent Fuller packing) think that your head might just be up your ass.

Reactions: SOHusker11
my guess is no. Will be like a redshirt, which he was probably going to do anyways.

If he plays football then he has to get his associates before he can come back to a four year school under the 4-2-4 rule. If a full qualifier attends a 4 year school, the goes to a JUCO and plays, he has to meet the following stipulations

-Have at least one calendar year elapse since leaving the original four-year school; and

-Graduate from the junior college.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
ADVERTISEMENT