ADVERTISEMENT

Just how political is B1G football?

I guess it is the eye of the beholder. My family travels quite a bit overseas and I guess I don't see that we are seen as a laughing stock. They sometimes mention what a character Trump is, but otherwise we have a pretty good time and a lot of them gush over the fact that I am able to drive a "big powerful truck". I agree bigotry and racism have been a part of our country, but I'm not sure it is bad as stated. This isn't 1960 Jim Crow times. As much attention as police shootings have gotten of black folks, if you really dive into it I think the numbers it is a pretty small list (under 30) and I think if you dive down further you would see that like under 10 probably have no justification. Watching the media you would think 30 a day were getting gunned down by cops. But whatever, it's fine to have differing opinions and I appreciate the response. Cheers.
All good. I imagine if we were all sitting around having a beer it wouldnt come off as divisive as things sometimes come off here

Reactions: leodisflowers
Maybe I do underestimate it. However, I'm glad it's difficult. I'm glad there's challenges. I grew up poor and now have a nice house, nice job, and a nice family that I've built. I can speak from experience.

Yes, there are people with single parents and low income with way more challenges than even I faced. But the government isn't going to help that. The only way to rise above that is to do it yourself.
All we have to do is to look to our inner city neighborhoods and Indian reservations to see what government dependence does to families and individuals.

So IF it was in Epstein "stuff" that was sealed how do you "know" about it. Just stop. I don't know what internet rumor blog you got that from, but that's irresponsible repeating things like that.

You're lucky you weren't kidnapped, gang raped and beheaded in Cairo.
I mean this seems credible ....As far as a beheading goes I mean I guess thats in play in the Middle East but hiring guides goes a long way in keeping ones head attached to ones torso

We have used mail in voting for over a century but now it will be manipulated....sure....thats just not a thing thats going to happen. Election day should absolutely be a national holiday to try to get as many as possible to have the opportunity to vote.

No offense, but I'm not quite sure how anyone with even a low amount of commonsense does not understand how susceptible to fraud and manipulation mail in ballots are (and I'm not talking absentee ballots). Being able to vote without using an ID is bad enough and subject to tons of fraud. Mailing out massive numbers of ballots to people through the USPS (who has admitted that they won't be able to handle them all) is WAY more subject to fraud. Read this article and the examples of what this person did. Not real hard to manipulate. I do agree that election day should be a national holiday though. SOLIDARITY!

https://nypost.com/2020/08/31/mass-vote-by-mail-really-does-invite-fraud-we-must-guard-against-it/

I mean this seems credible ....As far as a beheading goes I mean I guess thats in play in the Middle East but hiring guides goes a long way in keeping ones head attached to ones torso
There have been plenty of instances where tourists have been abducted and Omar the guide melts away in to the desert. No thanks. An M.D. friend tried to get me to come visit there a few years ago as U.S. citizens were disappearing left and right. The sad part is that behind Israel, Egypt is probably the safest middle eastern country to be in. In Israel you still have to watch where you go. That one's on my bucket list. Several friends have made multiple trips there. One goes their regularly for work. The stories he tells about traveling across Israel are interesting. It can be a dangerous place too.

Quit blaming everything around you and be responsible to yourself and your loved ones.

I didn't like Obama but I'll be damned if I'm going to blame him for anything that's in my life. If you're in the position where you need help from the government, you're losing. This country affords you the opportunity to get anything you want, with hard work and determination. Go get it, or start pointing the thumb and not your finger

Bo Pelini... Is that you?

Reactions: dinglefritz and c3o
Israel is pretty cool. I was there last summer for 10 days. Guided tours pretty much everywhere. Made a 3 day trip to Petra (if you can make that trip) The thing that surprised me in Israel is that they have little to no mass transit. I totally expected a train that could get you from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and the airport but there wasnt . It was all disjointed. Jerusalem is a very hilly but neat city. Walking around the old town area the sights and smells would change based on who was religion of choice. I bought a few college shirts in Hebrew and Arabic. One thing that did surprise me is that Bethlehem is in Palestine and under Palestinian control. Our Jewish guide was not allowed into that zone (Zone A,B,C) so we had to get a new guide to get into the Church of the Nativity. It reminded me quite a biut of what Mexico looks like from El Paso. The Jewish controlled areas were pretty nice while the Palestinian controlled areas were pretty run down. Interesting history in that part of the world

Reactions: timnsun
No offense, but I'm not quite sure how anyone with even a low amount of commonsense does not understand how susceptible to fraud and manipulation mail in ballots are (and I'm not talking absentee ballots). Being able to vote without using an ID is bad enough and subject to tons of fraud. Mailing out massive numbers of ballots to people through the USPS (who has admitted that they won't be able to handle them all) is WAY more subject to fraud. Read this article and the examples of what this person did. Not real hard to manipulate. I do agree that election day should be a national holiday though. SOLIDARITY!

https://nypost.com/2020/08/31/mass-vote-by-mail-really-does-invite-fraud-we-must-guard-against-it/
The USPS postmaster in one of New Jersey's largest service areas said that ballots will constitute in total only a 10% increase in mail volume IF they were ALL mailed on the same day. Think about how many pieces of mail you get in a day in your mail box. I bet I get 10 on average every single day. One more ballot isn't going to matter. That said, fraud WILL be a HUGE problem this go around with the way they're doing it. It's pretty telling that the ones wanting to send out ballots to every address are democrats.

Israel is pretty cool. I was there last summer for 10 days. Guided tours pretty much everywhere. Made a 3 day trip to Petra (if you can make that trip) The thing that surprised me in Israel is that they have little to no mass transit. I totally expected a train that could get you from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and the airport but there wasnt . It was all disjointed. Jerusalem is a very hilly but neat city. Walking around the old town area the sights and smells would change based on who was religion of choice. I bought a few college shirts in Hebrew and Arabic. One thing that did surprise me is that Bethlehem is in Palestine and under Palestinian control. Our Jewish guide was not allowed into that zone (Zone A,B,C) so we had to get a new guide to get into the Church of the Nativity. It reminded me quite a biut of what Mexico looks like from El Paso. The Jewish controlled areas were pretty nice while the Palestinian controlled areas were pretty run down. Interesting history in that part of the world
mass transit means mass casualties. They used to have public buses. I don't know if they still do or not. Too many suicide bombers getting on them.

The USPS postmaster in one of New Jersey's largest service areas said that ballots will constitute in total only a 10% increase in mail volume IF they were ALL mailed on the same day. Think about how many pieces of mail you get in a day in your mail box. I bet I get 10 on average every single day. One more ballot isn't going to matter. That said, fraud WILL be a HUGE problem this go around with the way they're doing it. It's pretty telling that the ones wanting to send out ballots to every address are democrats.

Just going on what is being reported. By CNN no less. Of course, they are pushing to get the law changed to make the fraud even easier, IMO.

As far as the USPS being able to handle the increased load........personal experience with lost and delayed mail under normal conditions doesn't give me the same confidence as you.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/politics/usps-warn-states-mail-in-ballot-delivery/index.html

mass transit means mass casualties. They used to have public buses. I don't know if they still do or not. Too many suicide bombers getting on them.
They do have public busses. The security in that country is HEAVY. Getting in and out of the country is a chore. I was flying from Israel to India on a one way ticket was grilled about why it was one way and what my intentions were. It was just a different airline out of Dehli. The Egyptian visa in my passport raised red flags too. Lots of why where you in an Arab country questions. The people that live in Israel live a very interesting life

Maybe I do underestimate it. However, I'm glad it's difficult. I'm glad there's challenges. I grew up poor and now have a nice house, nice job, and a nice family that I've built. I can speak from experience.

Yes, there are people with single parents and low income with way more challenges than even I faced. But the government isn't going to help that. The only way to rise above that is to do it yourself.

And I’m guessing you had at least a decent amount of support on the way. As I said before, government isn’t going to save you. The message of “you just need a little bit of elbow grease and a “can do” attitude,” as important as the point is, isn’t enough. Support for kids is vitally important, because most can’t do it themselves, especially if
the people around them, and their community and “leaders,” suck.

Reactions: c3o
Appreciate the back forth here guys. I really do enjoy discussing the current events and "teams." Gotta actually work have a great day.

And I’m guessing you had at least a decent amount of support on the way. As I said before, government isn’t going to save you. The message of “you just need a little bit of elbow grease and a “can do” attitude,” as important as the point is, isn’t enough. Support for kids is vitally important, because most can’t do it themselves, especially if
the people around them, and their community and “leaders,” suck.

I think we agree for the most part.

I just like it that not everyone can do it. If everyone could, it wouldn't mean anything. And I'm not saying this because I hate people, I'm saying this because life isn't fair, and I'm okay with that. When bad things happen to me, I look at how I can learn from them and what I need to do better so that doesn't happen. Rather than, "I hate my dad and Trump's economy sucks!"

Talking about starting with a 2 of clubs...

I read a book called "The millionaire next door" It was a study done in the US that identified exactly who were millionaires and who weren't.

Spoiler: It was people who start their own businesses and saved and saved and didn't buy new cars and stuff that depreciated. They bought used. And their homes were normal middle class type housing...which they paid off asap.

They also tended to have parents of little means.

The silver spooners ended up being doctors and lawyers with fancy everything's, making 6 figures, and still not wealthy. They spent those 6 figures on a mansion and new cars every 5 years or so.

The study also identified the demographics and middle easterners tended to be the richest and the Scottish tended to be the most frugal of any ethnicity studied.

Was a real interesting book.

I have a belief that if you can make at least $15 an hour or more and you don't have over a Million dollars when you retire at 65, then you just weren't discipline with your saving and spending.

Starting at 22 and investing 15% of your income until you are 65 at an 8% return, gets you to $1.5 million...That assumes you never have a raise.

I have conversations with my nephews and Nieces and I tell them you need to invest 15% of your income now and continue to do it will allow you to have freedom as you get older.

I have invested my whole life (since I was 22) not to buy any particular thing but so I have freedom to do whatever I want as I age.

If you start at 15% when you first get a job or a career started, you won't miss it.

I have a belief that if you can make at least $15 an hour or more and you don't have over a Million dollars when you retire at 65, then you just weren't discipline with your saving and spending.

Starting at 22 and investing 15% of your income until you are 65 at an 8% return, gets you to $1.5 million...That assumes you never have a raise.

I have conversations with my nephews and Nieces and I tell them you need to invest 15% of your income now and continue to do it will allow you to have freedom as you get older.

I have invested my whole life (since I was 22) not to buy any particular thing but so I have freedom to do whatever I want as I age.

If you start at 15% when you first get a job or a career started, you won't miss it.

I wish I had someone teach me that. Just got started with a Financial Advisor, investing, life insurance, etc. Would have been nice to have started this 15 years ago like when you did

The tricky part is pulling an 8 percent average return for 45 years. At least it was for me.

I wish I had someone teach me that. Just got started with a Financial Advisor, investing, life insurance, etc. Would have been nice to have started this 15 years ago like when you did

He did forget about a wife and a couple of kids and a mortgage to boot...

Starting wages in my community right now with a VERY cheap cost of living is over 18/hour plus benefits. No drug test. Flexible hours. No experience needed. Our unemployment rate before COVID was around 2%. Yeah if you aren't working right now, you don't want to.

Reactions: bshirt73
Do any of the ads really matter. Trumps base is gonna vote for him no matter what and Bidens folks will vote for him. I don't see Trump gaining voters from 16 but nothing would surprise me at this point. Our country is in a bad place either way

I probably vote for Trump this time and did not in 2016. I know others who say the same thing.

Next two months will be wild that's for sure. Two elderly men not the best of health criss crossing the country isn't ideal. I don't have the answer but wouldn't term limits of 4 years for all govt jobs be a good thing? Stagger it in congress so there isn't a completely new class every 4. Also term limiting the Supreme Court to 12 years assures the President will be able to nominate or appoint every 4. These politicians all seem to be in constant fund raising mode. The interviews and books after Trump is no longer in the White House should be an interesting read

Next two months will be wild that's for sure. Two elderly men not the best of health criss crossing the country isn't ideal. I don't have the answer but wouldn't term limits of 4 years for all govt jobs be a good thing? Stagger it in congress so there isn't a completely new class every 4. Also term limiting the Supreme Court to 12 years assures the President will be able to nominate or appoint every 4. These politicians all seem to be in constant fund raising mode. The interviews and books after Trump is no longer in the White House should be an interesting read

ANOTHER AREA OF AGREEMENT! SOLIDARITY! :Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

Agree with the sentiment, not with the solution. 4 years really isn't a lot of time and there is a learning curve. There needs to be leadership and that comes with experience. I'd be totally on board with a 12 year limit in the house, a 18 year limit in the senate, and the current 8 year limit for the president. Justices need to be left how they are.

Yah the founders were really much smarter than most modern folks give them credit for.

The "throw the bums" out sentiment is present in right and left but making the churn worse doesn't guarantee you get better people. You'll just get inexperienced people all the time.

It's inarguably more democratic to have senators directly elected and plays well to our modern sensibility of letting the individual have the most choice possible. However it probably worked better to have senators be appointed by states than turning it into another chamber promising people favors for votes.

At least for the conservative movement that has been wanting to slow the gravy train down it would have been better to ultimately let people have less choice and let states have stronger ones.

Agree with the sentiment, not with the solution. 4 years really isn't a lot of time and there is a learning curve. There needs to be leadership and that comes with experience. I'd be totally on board with a 12 year limit in the house, a 18 year limit in the senate, and the current 8 year limit for the president. Justices need to be left how they are.
My issues with justices are that at a certain point they need to step down. RBG is just too old and physically shouldn't be put in the position she is in. The dems will Weekend at Bernies her until 2039 if needed.

Reactions: dinglefritz
She's in that position because she chooses to be. Not because she has to be.

I'm pretty sure when we are old and sickly we won't be so ready to accept our role as family vegetable either.

My issues with justices are that at a certain point they need to step down. RBG is just too old and physically shouldn't be put in the position she is in. The dems will Weekend at Bernies her until 2039 if needed.
I dont disagree with that, but for the most part SCOTUS justices have always retired on their own accord before getting to that point. The system has worked pretty well. Outliers should be taken as such.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT