ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Moore

Reactions: huskerssalts
There's definitely smoke. Some are speculating it's just him announcing his transfer to IMG... but is it too late for that?? Please please PLEASE let him be N. GBR!
He may just be announcing his decommitment, but the fact he is decommiting after Donte Williams saw him only could be good news for us

Heard it could be just an announcement of an AllStar game invitation.
I've heard that one, I have heard he is going to IMG and the other possibility is of course decommitting from the Aggies. We got a pretty big crystal ball to NU today for him, and we got another one for Josh today as well

Big News has been put on hold... not sure why you would hold off on announcing acceptance to an all star game... So that just leaves IMG and the decommittment

He's going to announce his pizza order for the weekend after school party.

Yep! It has to be that.

Oh man, this is huge. If we get both of them, that pushes us to 12 recruits, a metric ton of WR's, and a S in this class.

Tuco, can we handle grabbing both of them and still get a well balanced class of 15-16 recruits?

Let me finish out what I was saying above:

Let's say we get both Moore's: 1 WR and 1 S.

Then we get what we look to pick up anyway:

1 OT in Bleich, 1 RB in Roberts, and 1 DT in Avery.

That puts us at 15, and maybe we have a guy leave to open up 1 final spot, maybe we don't.

That would be an excellent class in terms of its star power, but do we check all of the boxes we need to check with it?

People are WAY too worried about the class numbers at this point. These numbers are fluid. Someone is bound to get kicked off the team for violating rules/breaking the law, have a career ending injury, want to transfer, or leave early for the draft (maybe the least likely). These things happen every year. It's probably more likely that we lose multiple guys on scholarship than losing no one. My guess is the class gets up to 18.

People are WAY too worried about the class numbers at this point. These numbers are fluid. Someone is bound to get kicked off the team for violating rules/breaking the law, have a career ending injury, want to transfer, or leave early for the draft (maybe the least likely). These things happen every year. It's probably more likely that we lose multiple guys on scholarship than losing no one. My guess is the class gets up to 18.
Agreed, it will be a smaller class but there's attrition every single year, it'll play itself out.

Oh man, this is huge. If we get both of them, that pushes us to 12 recruits, a metric ton of WR's, and a S in this class.

Tuco, can we handle grabbing both of them and still get a well balanced class of 15-16 recruits?

I guess it depends on your definition of balanced. And what position these recruits actually play when they get to campus.

If both Moore's are in this class, that puts scholarship WRs, for 2018 season, at 11. That's assuming a guy like Fuller stays on offense and Darlington stays in the mix. That's a big number considering that we will see a TE and a RB on the field.

I believe we need a OT. If it Bleich so be it.

If Cam Jurgens stays at TE, that makes 6 scholarship TEs again a huge number when coupled with 16 OL and 11 WR.

I also believe we need an edge rusher at OLB if Cam stays at TE.

We have a lot of numbers at DL. 11 scholarships in 2018, for 3 positions. If we add 1 or 2 more, that's concerning if we don't land an edge rusher.

The back end is a big concern for me. Going into 2018, as it sits now, A. Williams, Reed and Lamar Jackson will be the only players with significant playing time. With Bookie and Chase Williams, in this class, I am fine with CB, but safety is a concern because I don't know if Tony Butler or Dismuke are going to ever contribute. That leaves Williams, Reed and Domann (coming off knee surgery) and a true freshman in J Moore.

There is a need to balance these classes and positions out. I am sure Riley and crew have a plan to get that accomplished. I just worry that we will have the mentality that we aren't yet in a position to turn down top 300 players regardless of position and can find ourselves out of balance, especially at WR and DL.

Sorry if my thoughts were sort of all over and the post wasn't very concise and clear. I'm just trying to get in the staff's heads and project.

I would agree with this normally. But 36 of 85 scholarship players are Freshmen, RS Freshmen or will be redshirting. Another 16 are sophomores in eligibility. The 11 seniors are irrelevant in this discussion. That leaves 18 juniors, of those 18, Newell, Darlington and King are the only players that may find themselves outside the 2 deep in the fall.

I just think this is a different year than most, because those young guys still feel like there is a chance to play, a small senior class, and a junior class that has a lot of contributing players.

I would agree with this normally. But 36 of 85 scholarship players are Freshmen, RS Freshmen or will be redshirting. Another 16 are sophomores in eligibility. The 11 seniors are irrelevant in this discussion. That leaves 18 juniors, of those 18, Newell, Darlington and King are the only players that may find themselves outside the 2 deep in the fall.

I just think this is a different year than most, because those young guys still feel like there is a chance to play, a small senior class, and a junior class that has a lot of contributing players.
Agree. In addition, while I am too lazy to look up facts, it seems as if this operation is more stable than the previous three regimes and the types of players recruited seem to be of a higher moral quality in some cases than the last two regimes, so it is possible the revolving door attrition we are used to will be less in the future.

Reactions: dockentwo

You may be right, but you are just talking about upper-class guys that may be ushered out via graduation/non-contribution. Contributors and young guys end up leaving programs all the time for a myriad of reasons. Happens every year at basically every program in the country.

You may be right, but you are just talking about upper-class guys that may be ushered out via graduation/non-contribution. Contributors and young guys end up leaving programs all the time for a myriad of reasons. Happens every year at basically every program in the country.

Derrion Grim, Adrienne Talon, Trai Mosley, and Jordan Stevenson are just a few of the young guys who have left in the last few years. That is just off the top of my head.

Agree. In addition, while I am too lazy to look up facts, it seems as if this operation is more stable than the previous three regimes and the types of players recruited seem to be of a higher moral quality in some cases than the last two regimes, so it is possible the revolving door attrition we are used to will be less in the future.

I think this is an excellent point. I think the entire idea behind hiring Riley is that, if you want to change the culture here, start at the top with a guy who is considered to be a nice dude, who, if given the resources, may be able to recruit well.

As it turns out, he is recruiting VERY well, and the overall vibe of the program is extremely positive. I think that attracts a certain kind of player. I also think, in general, as a very, very minor trend, kids playing football these days are becoming slightly more "woke" to social norms, being seen as minor celebrities, and understanding that misbehavior is extremely visible now. So, a few things are going on, but yeah, I totally agree, these guys are building a really, really nice system here.

Also, my friends sat next to Mike Riley at Chance the Rapper's huge show last night. Even got a picture. HILARIOUS.

I guess it depends on your definition of balanced. And what position these recruits actually play when they get to campus.

If both Moore's are in this class, that puts scholarship WRs, for 2018 season, at 11. That's assuming a guy like Fuller stays on offense and Darlington stays in the mix. That's a big number considering that we will see a TE and a RB on the field.

If Cam Jurgens stays at TE, that makes 6 scholarship TEs again a huge number when coupled with 16 OL and 11 WR.

We have a lot of numbers at DL. 11 scholarships in 2018, for 3 positions. If we add 1 or 2 more, that's concerning if we don't land an edge rusher.

The back end is a big concern for me. Going into 2018, as it sits now, A. Williams, Reed and Lamar Jackson will be the only players with significant playing time. With Bookie and Chase Williams, in this class, I am fine with CB, but safety is a concern because I don't know if Tony Butler or Dismuke are going to ever contribute. That leaves Williams, Reed and Domann (coming off knee surgery) and a true freshman in J Moore.

There is a need to balance these classes and positions out. I am sure Riley and crew have a plan to get that accomplished. I just worry that we will have the mentality that we aren't yet in a position to turn down top 300 players regardless of position and can find ourselves out of balance, especially at WR and DL.

Sorry if my thoughts were sort of all over and the post wasn't very concise and clear. I'm just trying to get in the staff's heads and project.
I agree quite a bit with your post. I have been concerned about our balance for ALONG time. We tend to load up and then get behind in other areas only to find a shortage and a need making us scramble and can not have consistent depth
IMO we haven't had depth since the 90s.

Derrion Grim, Adrienne Talon, Trai Mosley, and Jordan Stevenson are just a few of the young guys who have left in the last few years. That is just off the top of my head.

I am not saying there won't be any. But you can't count on kids leaving because what if they don't?

Tim Miles could assume he will lose a player or 2 to transfer every year. But he can't promise scholarships to kids because of transfers that might happen, because what if it doesn't.

I've said before timing of the player leaving is also a factor. A sophomore who doesn't play in 2017, may not decide to transfer until after spring practice in 2018. That doesn't help 2018 recruiting.

I am not saying there won't be any. But you can't count on kids leaving because what if they don't?

Tim Miles could assume he will lose a player or 2 to transfer every year. But he can't promise scholarships to kids because of transfers that might happen, because what if it doesn't.

I've said before timing of the player leaving is also a factor. A sophomore who doesn't play in 2017, may not decide to transfer until after spring practice in 2018. That doesn't help 2018 recruiting.

I agree with you to some extent but it's May. These kids can't even sign until December. It's pre-mature to be worrying about class numbers at this point. Massaging roster numbers is always difficult for coaches but I do think it is safe for us, as fans, to assume there will be some attrition between now and signing day. Besides that, I didn't say we'd get up to 20 or anything like that, I said 18. That assumes three guys leave the program between now and next February. I don't think that is a very big stretch. I think it would be very difficult to find a year were three guys didn't leave the program during that period.

I agree with you to some extent but it's May. These kids can't even sign until December. It's pre-mature to be worrying about class numbers at this point. Massaging roster numbers is always difficult for coaches but I do think it is safe for us, as fans, to assume there will be some attrition between now and signing day. Besides that, I didn't say we'd get up to 20 or anything like that, I said 18. That assumes three guys leave the program between now and next February. I don't think that is a very big stretch. I think it would be very difficult to find a year were three guys didn't leave the program during that period.

Dont forget about the younger walkons that earn a multi year scholarship. Like Fyfe, Shanle, Makovicka, Long have in the past.

Let me finish out what I was saying above:

Let's say we get both Moore's: 1 WR and 1 S.

Then we get what we look to pick up anyway:

1 OT in Bleich, 1 RB in Roberts, and 1 DT in Avery.

That puts us at 15, and maybe we have a guy leave to open up 1 final spot, maybe we don't.

That would be an excellent class in terms of its star power, but do we check all of the boxes we need to check with it?

I'm not sure you can ever check all the boxes you need to with a class of 15.

Wait, a well informed post that is helpful and polite?
Love it! Thanks!

Reactions: dockentwo
Just scrolled through this Moore is Less thread and thought I should add something to the nothingness. So here it is: Nothing has, is or will happen regarding whatever it is we're discussing or not discussing. Furthermore after reading this thread I almost, but not quite miss HTO.

Just scrolled through this Moore is Less thread and thought I should add something to the nothingness. So here it is: Nothing has, is or will happen regarding whatever it is we're discussing or not discussing. Furthermore after reading this thread I almost, but not quite miss HTO.

Whatever happened to that guy?

I think this is an excellent point. I think the entire idea behind hiring Riley is that, if you want to change the culture here, start at the top with a guy who is considered to be a nice dude, who, if given the resources, may be able to recruit well.

As it turns out, he is recruiting VERY well, and the overall vibe of the program is extremely positive. I think that attracts a certain kind of player. I also think, in general, as a very, very minor trend, kids playing football these days are becoming slightly more "woke" to social norms, being seen as minor celebrities, and understanding that misbehavior is extremely visible now. So, a few things are going on, but yeah, I totally agree, these guys are building a really, really nice system here.
Great use of the comma

Reactions: TheBeav815
You recognize some critical events for success. Clemson seamed to have one heck of a team mentality and beat Alabama with the chips on the table. There seems to be a lot of self motivated work out warriors coming in; and peer recruiting ( to build their team ). ... A high % of four and five star recruits never contribute or in a major way. Believe the number may be as high as 40%. So if you cut that number in half by high - qualitied guys who progress to their maximum relentlessly, the losses could be cut in half. This would be similar to having had a huge surge in top rated recruits coming in each year. Which should lead to a higher level of play on the field. Team that with winning the turnover margin, you are going to win a lot of games.

You recognize some critical events for success. Clemson seamed to have one heck of a team mentality and beat Alabama with the chips on the table. There seems to be a lot of self motivated work out warriors coming in; and peer recruiting ( to build their team ). ... A high % of four and five star recruits never contribute or in a major way. Believe the number may be as high as 40%. So if you cut that number in half by high - qualitied guys who progress to their maximum relentlessly, the losses could be cut in half. This would be similar to having had a huge surge in top rated recruits coming in each year. Which should lead to a higher level of play on the field. Team that with winning the turnover margin, you are going to win a lot of games.
Lack of turnovers in the Spring Game was encouraging. A desperation pass by Gebbia who should still be in HS and a rookie mistake strip of KJJr were all I remember. Not bad for inexperienced centers, receivers, backs and new QBs.

Reactions: blackbones

I can't see any of the 2017 recruits hitting a teammate with a bottle or wagging their wienies at a female clerk. Not that it can't happen, but they don't seem to be those kinds of guys.

DiCaprio too

Interesting, in Fremont yesterday, Riley said they have 12 committed players for 2018. Not a fan of silent commitments. The easy conclusion would be that the 2 additional commits are the Moore bros considering the Crystal Ball movement as of late.

I am a little skeptical of that though. I could see it being Bleich and Goodrich too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT