ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Moore

In this class, I fully understand that we can't take that many OL. But 1 OL and 4 WR and a TE, seems out of balance.

If you are short at positions you have to take more to get in balance to begin with. If I want 9 WR on my roster but only have 3, I have to take more than normal to get to 9.

I can even the classes up through redshirting. What you are not seeing is that right now, Nebraska has 1 senior and 3 junior scholarship WRs. 1 of the junior WR is a converted QB and the other is a transfer. That means there are TWO scholarship WR left from the previous regime. That isn't blaming Pelini, that is stating a fact.

In this class, I fully understand that we can't take that many OL. But 1 OL and 4 WR and a TE, seems out of balance.

What Tuco said is what we mean by "looking at the 85" rather than a year to year template.

The year to year template is an ideal target IMO. If Riley gets this ball rolling, his recruiting classes will probably converge on a more standard template as the position groups even out over time. Because presumably we'll get to a point where we have the right mix of young and old across all positions.

In these early years though, you are going to see the odd occasion where basically an entire position group walks out the door and you have address it without killing the rest of the team's scholly budget.

Even taking 2, we will still have 16 OL on scholly I believe. Which will be nice to be able to bring in the WRs and still not kill the OL depth.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
So we won't be hearing any complaints from the staff about offensive line depth then?

On the OL I would suspect we'll hear at least some of it until they are all a tad bit older.

Having a bunch of first year starters and then a bunch of frosh and RSFR behind them is still a pretty inexperienced group overall.

Which is a problem you can't really fix bringing in more freshman at this time, they just need to season a bit.

On the OL I would suspect we'll hear at least some of it until they are all a tad bit older.

Having a bunch of first year starters and then a bunch of frosh and RSFR behind them is still a pretty inexperienced group overall.

Which is a problem you can't really fix bringing in more freshman at this time, they just need to season a bit.
When will the excuses end then?

Your template makes a big assumption that every class will have four to five OL leave. I believe the only one leaving this year is Knevel.

You can't backfill one position with four or five guys. Especially not in a class of 15-18 players.

Your template would work well if we started out with an even distribution of OL across the age groups. We do not have that.

Part of the reason we have 4-5 guys who catch the ball is we are thin at WR, we just had a bunch of older bubbas leave, and we probably undersigned by 1 each of the last two classes at that position.
And Grimm left.

When will the excuses end then?

You are mixing a whole ton of issues together.

Having bodies is having bodies, its not necessarily having quality depth from a football performance perspective.

OL are more likely than usual to redshirt to need to develop.

If a bunch of first time starters go out there and flat out suck, and the RSFR all suck, certainly the coaches need to take heat.

If we have a quality first unit, and take some crazy injuries to both the first unit and key backups, I don't know that a bunch of true frosh's who just came from the prom are going to save NU's bacon vis a vis B1G title hopes. If it is an injury thing, I wouldn't put that on the coaches.

IMO, this year is a make or break for Cav, some of these guys need to show up. I personally don't think we'll have "quality depth" until next year, in the sense that now we have upper classmen driving the bus with guys with some time in behind them. And then behind them, guys who have redshirted and are physically capable if things get real dire injury wise.

Edit: That last paragraph is sort of the "bare minimum" for me talking quality depth. I'm not saying we need 10 All Americans, but have an experienced first unit, and physically capable 2nd/3rd units seems to be a good starting point if you want to get back to the 10 all americans stage.

Probably about the same time you accept that Riley is the head coach and isn't going anywhere for at least 2 more years.

I generally read the "why don't we have 5 OL on the commit list" posts as "man Riley could really show his commitment to the run game if he put 25 OL on scholarship", irrespective of the actual needs of the roster.

Reactions: dockentwo
You are mixing a whole ton of issues together.

Having bodies is having bodies, its not necessarily having quality depth from a football performance perspective.

OL are more likely than usual to redshirt to need to develop.

If a bunch of first time starters go out there and flat out suck, and the RSFR all suck, certainly the coaches need to take heat.

If we have a quality first unit, and take some crazy injuries to both the first unit and key backups, I don't know that a bunch of true frosh's who just came from the prom are going to save NU's bacon vis a vis B1G title hopes. If it is an injury thing, I wouldn't put that on the coaches.

IMO, this year is a make or break for Cav, some of these guys need to show up. I personally don't think we'll have "quality depth" until next year, in the sense that now we have upper classmen driving the bus with guys with some time in behind them. And then behind then, guys who have redshirted and are physically capable if things get real dire injury wise.
Well, I just look at it as we have had all these line problems for years now.. this is even before coach Riley. Remember that Cotton kid falling on his behind before the snap? The line had issues back then. Every year we hear about the line and it's one excuse after another. And here I sit, looking at the recruiting class, and I see one OL. So, while I am not trying to mix things up, what I am trying to do, is nail things down. It just took this whole conversation to get here. Hopefully you see my point.

Well, I just look at it as we have had all these line problems for years now.. this is even before coach Riley. Remember that Cotton kid falling on his behind before the snap? The line had issues back then. Every year we hear about the line and it's one excuse after another. And here I sit, looking at the recruiting class, and I see one OL. So, while I am not trying to mix things up, what I am trying to do, is nail things down. It just took this whole conversation to get here. Hopefully you see my point.

I see your point, but your point assumes that if a kid plays OL and has an N on his chest, he's a perfectly viable solution to show up in the B1G title game this fall, no ifs and or butts. Generally, the solution for this if we don't make it is as you have advocated, lets just get a bunch more HS kids.

Which, experience and development is huge for the OL. So while I like the overall make up of our young bucks, I don't think they are done stewing yet. And getting more HS kids won't actually fix that particular problem in the near term.

I see your point, but your point assumes that if a kid plays OL and has an N on his chest, he's a perfectly viable solution to show up in the B1G title game this fall, no ifs and or butts. Generally, the solution for this if we don't make it is as you have advocated, lets just get a bunch more HS kids.

Which, experience and development is huge for the OL. So while I like the overall make up of our young bucks, I don't think they are done stewing yet. And getting more HS kids won't actually fix that particular problem in the near term.
true, but it also leaves a hole in the roster to deal with further down the line as well.

Well this is year three for the line coach, and you're saying he basically didn't prep any talent for this year, so I guess we have an excuse for 2017.

I think the two silent are Mario and Josh Moore. Now if Mario keeps dragging his feet I could see us legitimately taking both Moore brothers. It in not totally sold on the fact that both Moore brothers will end up together.

You're just mad you weren't around to participate. You eat stuff like this up big time, and you know it.
Actually watched it all. Just agreed with jflores more than you, and felt like you were stirring the pot. No offense.

Would like to complement you on a string of informative and well reasoned posts. Really outstanding.

Would like to complement you on a string of informative and well reasoned posts. Really outstanding.

Thanks although I will admit that one of my few hot buttons pertaining to Husker football is the "I want it now" portion of the fanbase.

Its my general belief that OL's take time to develop. This is going to be at odds with the "I want it now" mantra. The only way that you could satisfy that mantra is if you somehow recruited the top five OL right away, they all weren't busts, and all were capable of playing at a high level in D1 right away.

That's abnormal. Even for Bama. Which means we must necessarily wait. We're on the precipice though, there's enough in the pipeline to see some early returns on whether Cav is the guy or not. I think next year is the year though for the OL as a whole.

Nebraska has 16 scholarship offensive linemen on the roster, and only one of them is a Senior. Only 3 of them are Juniors. And the Huskers also scored a coup of sorts with two walk-ons from the Class of 2017 in Trent Hixson from Omaha Skutt and Hunter Miller of Stromsburg. Both of whom could've earned full rides to play for the likes of North Dakota State.

My point is Nebraska can afford to only sign 1 or 2 offensive linemen in the 2018 class.

Nebraska has 16 scholarship offensive linemen on the roster, and only one of them is a Senior. Only 3 of them are Juniors. And the Huskers also scored a coup of sorts with two walk-ons from the Class of 2017 in Trent Hixson from Omaha Skutt and Hunter Miller of Stromsburg. Both of whom could've earned full rides to play for the likes of North Dakota State.

My point is Nebraska can afford to only sign 1 or 2 offensive linemen in the 2018 class.

Yep! And we look to land Bleich, so after he and Farniok are N, we're done. It also looks as if we'll be skipping a QB this year and instead taking the Moore brothers, Roberts, and one as-yet-unnamed player, most likely a D lineman.

Yep! And we look to land Bleich, so after he and Farniok are N, we're done. It also looks as if we'll be skipping a QB this year and instead taking the Moore brothers, Roberts, and one as-yet-unnamed player, most likely a D lineman.
I am not sure this is correct.

Bleich definitely seems likely, but the rest is definitely debatable

Roberts - I have a feeling we are going to get a different RB this class. The fact Roberts isn't committed right now leads me to believe he does not have a offer that he can commit on just yet.

Moore Brothers could end up anywhere, as they troll multiple fan bases. Mainly Nebraska though. Joshua Moore tweeting out the Coach Dub quote gave me mixed feelings as well. That being said there are multiple other WR/DB's that we are in on that could fill our spots left open. The main 3 I can think of would be...

Mario Goodrich
Bryan Addison
Talanoa Hufunga

I do not see us taking a DT unless he is Thompson, Trout or Avery

I see us taking a DE/OLB hybrid type player for sure though, just not sure who it will be. I am leaning on it being one of the following Ronnie Perkins or Daniel Carson.

Way to many things out there lead me to believe that the Moore Bros and Roberts could end up elsewhere.

Things I am hearing are that Josh Moore left IMG and went back to Yoakum because he wanted one last year playing with his brother. I think Jordan stays at aTm and Joshua come to Lincoln.

I am not closing the book on QB yet, there can still be some shuffling at other schools that may push some QBs in different directions.

I am not sure this is correct.

Bleich definitely seems likely, but the rest is definitely debatable

Roberts - I have a feeling we are going to get a different RB this class. The fact Roberts isn't committed right now leads me to believe he does not have a offer that he can commit on just yet.

Moore Brothers could end up anywhere, as they troll multiple fan bases. Mainly Nebraska though. Joshua Moore tweeting out the Coach Dub quote gave me mixed feelings as well. That being said there are multiple other WR/DB's that we are in on that could fill our spots left open. The main 3 I can think of would be...

Mario Goodrich
Bryan Addison
Talanoa Hufunga

I do not see us taking a DT unless he is Thompson, Trout or Avery

I see us taking a DE/OLB hybrid type player for sure though, just not sure who it will be. I am leaning on it being one of the following Ronnie Perkins or Daniel Carson.

Way to many things out there lead me to believe that the Moore Bros and Roberts could end up elsewhere.

What's the word on Hufunga? Don't really hear much about him. He is a very nasty player on film.

Things I am hearing are that Josh Moore left IMG and went back to Yoakum because he wanted one last year playing with his brother. I think Jordan stays at aTm and Joshua come to Lincoln.

I am not closing the book on QB yet, there can still be some shuffling at other schools that may push some QBs in different directions.

Yah, farewell tour, me thinks.

Roberts I think is being held off to see where Pledger is at.

What's the word on Hufunga? Don't really hear much about him. He is a very nasty player on film.
I just know he liked it here, and that is all I know!

If going off of who is recruiting him, we could be offering him as a Linebacker. Although he is an absolute beast at Safety.

I could see this class finishing like this...

Safety - Goodrich
Safety/LB hybrid - Hufunga
WR - Joshua Moore
OL - Chris Bleich
RB - Roberts or Pledger or Another RB we are not aware of at the moment
OLB/WDE hybrid - Perkins, Carson or Alston

I am confident we take at least 16... If an upper level QB or DT want N and we have room we take them as well

What's the word on Hufunga? .

"Other schools recruiting Hufanga include Alabama, Oregon, Oregon State, Tennessee, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA and Utah.

And where does Nebraska rank?

“To be honest, I’m not committing anywhere for a while, probably until January,” Hufanga said. “So I’m not making a top list until probably August. It’ll be eight-to-10 schools probably, possibly five. I really don’t know right now.

“But Nebraska, they’re doing pretty well recruiting me right now.”

It'll be interesting to see how the staff handles this class. They could have the class filled up with good prospects by the end of July, and some have even speculated earlier than that.

Are they going to sit at 14 to wait "a long time" for someone like Hufanga or Trout?

I suspect they will try to accommodate a couple of those guys in the +3 if they are really going to wait until after holiday break for decisions. Or those kids may just be out of the running if we're solidly full by then.

It'll be interesting to see how the staff handles this class. They could have the class filled up with good prospects by the end of July, and some have even speculated earlier than that.

Are they going to sit at 14 to wait "a long time" for someone like Hufanga or Trout?

I suspect they will try to accommodate a couple of those guys in the +3 if they are really going to wait until after holiday break for decisions. Or those kids may just be out of the running if we're solidly full by then.
I'm fully expecting them to over commit by 3 as soon as possible. Since you can over sign by 3 and still have the risking of losing some, it would be crazy not to.

I'm fully expecting them to over commit by 3 as soon as possible. Since you can over sign by 3 and still have the risking of losing some, it would be crazy not to.

They will get no where near 18 until the season is over and the potential scholarships are freed up. They have said on countless occasions that they do not know of a legit way to get rid of players just to open up scholarships.

Right or wrong, That isn't what they are about.

So until you hear of a player saying he is transferring or he is taking his degree and moving on with life after football, 15 will be the public number.

Concur with Tuco. All evidence is to the contrary. Including Riley's own word.

Schaef said today Avery told 247 we've fallen completely off his radar. Sort of confirming McKewon's earlier prediction of parting and Avery to A&M.

Expects Daniel Carson to be part of the class. Bleich, Goodrich and Moore he suspects will be N. Some speculation that the other Moore could start out at A&M and transfer here.

They will get no where near 18 until the season is over and the potential scholarships are freed up. They have said on countless occasions that they do not know of a legit way to get rid of players just to open up scholarships.

Right or wrong, That isn't what they are about.

So until you hear of a player saying he is transferring or he is taking his degree and moving on with life after football, 15 will be the public number.
I kind of disagree with what you're saying. I know Riley says they won't over sign, but if we have some big names wanting a scholarship when we're already full, they are going to make room. Riley knows what he has to do to get rid of scholarships, but he's not going to advertise that since it's kind of dirty.

I kind of disagree with what you're saying. I know Riley says they won't over sign, but if we have some big names wanting a scholarship when we're already full, they are going to make room. Riley knows what he has to do to get rid of scholarships, but he's not going to advertise that since it's kind of dirty.

I'll make a friendly internet wager that says we won't have more than 15 confined commitments until the season is over.

I'll make a friendly internet wager that says we won't have more than 15 confined commitments until the season is over.
I wouldn't be against putting a friendly wager on it, but there are so many possible unknowns in the scenario. I'm only talking about players in the Rivals100 at minimum getting the opportunity for an over signed position in our class. There are no guarantees that we would even know if we turned down a Rivals100 commit after the class is filled up.

I wouldn't be against putting a friendly wager on it, but there are so many possible unknowns in the scenario. I'm only talking about players in the Rivals100 at minimum getting the opportunity for an over signed position in our class. There are no guarantees that we would even know if we turned down a Rivals100 commit after the class is filled up.

It's cool. I'm just going by your comment that you are fully expecting them to overcommit by 3 as soon as possible. To me, it made it sound as though you expected to have more than 15 before the season started.

Would Daniel Carson be a guy who ends up being a mid to high 4 * when it's all said and done? His offer list is outstanding!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT