ADVERTISEMENT

Jones Fracture

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
According to Damon Benning this morning, this is pretty much the worst foot fracture possible. He didn't elaborate much and obviously isn't a doctor but he was pretty adamant about it.

According to Damon Benning this morning, this is pretty much the worst foot fracture possible. He didn't elaborate much and obviously isn't a doctor but he was pretty adamant about it.
A bone's a bone to some degree. Surgically repaired and properly cared for 4-6 weeks isn't unreasonable. Complications do happen so you just keep your fingers crossed. What he looks like after its healed is another thing. I would expect another couple of weeks to return to game shape assuming he doesn't try to come back too quickly.

Any fracture to a weight bearing bone is tough to recover from. Especially for athletes.

Any fracture to a weight bearing bone is tough to recover from. Especially for athletes.
The bone is going to heal. Its just a matter of how long and how long until he's comfortable doing what he needs to go on it weight bearing or not. You can have just as much pain from a non-weight bearing bone. I would be hopeful that he'll be fine. He's getting the best care in the universe but it is correct that foot injuries with his style of play are tricky.

No one knows. Every body and every injury is different. People that try to predict are hilarious.

Busted skeletons are a crap shoot. I have one right now, was supposed to be all better several months ago....instead, I have yet another doctor appt. which will lead to another x-ray which in turn will morph into yet another MRI, and eventually an intimate date with a knife. Moral to the story, you just never know.

3 years ago I got whacked head on by a car and broke several bones from head to toe, I was riding again in 6 weeks.

Moral to the story, you just never know when it comes to busted skeletons.

Busted skeletons are a crap shoot. I have one right now, was supposed to be all better several months ago....instead, I have yet another doctor appt. which will lead to another x-ray which in turn will morph into yet another MRI, and eventually an intimate date with a knife. Moral to the story, you just never know.

3 years ago I got whacked head on by a car and broke several bones from head to toe, I was riding again in 6 weeks.

Moral to the story, you just never know when it comes to busted skeletons.
What you got going now? Busted my ankle a few weeks back so I feel ya.

Hip issues....which has already been operated on once...yay me. Can hardly remember the last time I could walk without pain. Coaching my sons baseball this last spring about did me in, but I loved it so I did it anyway, and now I'm paying the price, both literally and figuratively (sp?). I've given the hospitals so much of my money in the last 6 years I'm thinking about calling myself the sixty thousand dollar man. Not quite as catchy as The Million Dollar Man, but more accurate.

Hip issues....which has already been operated on once...yay me. Can hardly remember the last time I could walk without pain. Coaching my sons baseball this last spring about did me in, but I loved it so I did it anyway, and now I'm paying the price, both literally and figuratively (sp?). I've given the hospitals so much of my money in the last 6 years I'm thinking about calling myself the sixty thousand dollar man. Not quite as catchy as The Million Dollar Man, but more accurate.
Damn man, sorry to hear. Seems the closer to the center of the body, the most widespread the pain can be. You consider a replacement?

I don't think that is necessary. It would completely derail my mountain biking as well, so it isn't something I would do unless I got (back) to the point of being unable to walk. I think it'll get straightened out, just need one more trip to the kinfe building, and probably another year of rehab. Yay me.

I have two relatives that had Jones fractures and neither was 100% when their doctor said they would be.
Hopefully DPE has better luck.

I didn't know much about it, didn't know that it was one of the problems Kevin Durant had last year.

On the promising side, a note from a press conference at the time, "Jones fracture is, from what I've been told, the most common surgical procedure performed on NBA players as of late," Thunder GM Sam Presti said. "There's enough of a body of work to look at an average recovery time."

One web site put together a list of every basketball player they could find who suffered this injury, and what the recovery time was. The number of games missed is all over the place, and some players recovered inside a month. Others took several. 6-8 weeks may be the average, but the variance is high.

On the negative side, Kevin Durant suffered a recurrence of the problem and it took him out all last year and now some are worried he may never be quite the same. "With Jones fracture repairs, 92-95% experience full recovery with the screw insert. For the 5-8% that don't, the bone graft if the next step"

The bone is going to heal. Its just a matter of how long and how long until he's comfortable doing what he needs to go on it weight bearing or not. You can have just as much pain from a non-weight bearing bone. I would be hopeful that he'll be fine. He's getting the best care in the universe but it is correct that foot injuries with his style of play are tricky.

I wouldn't be so confident. Jones (5th metatarsal metaphysis) are especially notorious for going on to non-unions. The fracture is at a vascular watershed area, so it's blood flow isn't as robust. If he has a true jones fracture, then he should have already gone to surgery to have it lagged to the distal portion of the 5th MT.

I wouldn't be so confident. Jones (5th metatarsal metaphysis) are especially notorious for going on to non-unions. The fracture is at a vascular watershed area, so it's blood flow isn't as robust. If he has a true jones fracture, then he should have already gone to surgery to have it lagged to the distal portion of the 5th MT.
Think it was reported that he already had the surgery and it went well...

So is this the fracture dpe has? I would think the best thing for him would be to sit the season out...come back he wont be 100% and will more than likely injure again

I read wikipedia today! I learned all you just said, except all I got from it is sometimes they don't heal right. He had surgery already I believe.

Unless we are just a disaster at receiver and returning punts, I think the red shirt is his best option. He's missing reps, he'll get out of football shape and the foot will not be 100%. How is that going to affect his ability to really shine? I'd say proceed with caution.

Reactions: TheBeav815
a lot of guys dont want to spend five years in college. i bet DPE is one of them, esp after last year.

Shine003 you are correct, but there is this to complicate matters as well. "there are various tendons, including the peroneus brevis and fibularis tertius, and two small muscles attached to the bone. These may pull the fracture apart and prevent healing." quoted from Wikipedia.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
0, I never saw your post trying to wager on it. Let me know next time you want to bet on something I say.

0, I never saw your post trying to wager on it. Let me know next time you want to bet on something I say.
Lol. I will as soon as you stop the incessant whining about predictions or info on a sports chat board.

leave it to 463 to accuse someone else of whining when that's virtually every one of your posts.

Reactions: TheBeav815
leave it to 463 to accuse someone else of whining when that's virtually every one of your posts.
Oh I admit it. How about we bet a dollar you will continue to be butthurt and chime in about a couple things that turned out wrong
I'm rich!!!!

I had a Jones fracture about 15 years ago in my mid 20's in my right foot. I was playing a lot of basketball at the time in Lincoln and it weakened my bone until it eventually broke. I had the surgery and screw inserted into my bone. (My doctor was the same physician that worked with a bunch of Husker athletes, can't remember his name though.)

I see the 6-8 week time frame for DPE as being very aggressive as the procedure hasn't changed much over the last 15 years. No way I could have played basketball (or football) 6-8 weeks after breaking it. It took me about 5 months to be confident enough to play basketball again, but still had a little pain on and off for the next 6 months. I was completely pain free about a year later and have had no issues since. We'll see though, hopefully he heals fast!

I had a Jones fracture about 15 years ago in my mid 20's in my right foot. I was playing a lot of basketball at the time in Lincoln and it weakened my bone until it eventually broke. I had the surgery and screw inserted into my bone. (My doctor was the same physician that worked with a bunch of Husker athletes, can't remember his name though.)

I see the 6-8 week time frame for DPE as being very aggressive as the procedure hasn't changed much over the last 15 years. No way I could have played basketball (or football) 6-8 weeks after breaking it. It took me about 5 months to be confident enough to play basketball again, but still had a little pain on and off for the next 6 months. I was completely pain free about a year later and have had no issues since. We'll see though, hopefully he heals fast!
Sort of related, did you have soreness/pain in other areas of your leg? I'm 6 weeks post ankle break and my leg is killing me in my shin, calf and thigh. But the ankle feels fine lol.

Foot injuries are very nagging injuries. I'm afraid this is going to end up like Taylor Martinez's foot injury during his senior year. IIRC his foot was supposed to be better in about the same time span as DPE's foot injury. He gave it a try vs Minnesota and was a shell of his old self. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen to DPE. I think Riley and Co. are going to do everything they can to get DPE back and if he isn't back to his old self, he should be able to use a medical redshirt for this year.

Sort of related, did you have soreness/pain in other areas of your leg? I'm 6 weeks post ankle break and my leg is killing me in my shin, calf and thigh. But the ankle feels fine lol.

I had no pain/soreness/issues with other parts of my leg after I broke my foot. Good luck!

a lot of guys dont want to spend five years in college. i bet DPE is one of them, esp after last year.

He was good, really good. And he has a lot of nice wiggle to him, so certainly one would project that the sky is the limit for this kid.

But I think the Jamal Turner experience is instructive. Things don't always turn out, whether through health or ability to learn to play ball at a certain level or what not. Even Bill Belicheck was saying nice things about Turner several years ago.

I'm not an NFL draft guru, but it seems to me that most NFL teams aren't going to draft DPE based on a freshman season where he housed it against some middling B1G teams. He's going to have to show that he can be continually productive as a starting WR or something, and continually is usually earned over a significant amount of time. And with this type of injury, continually will probably be more scrutinized to make sure they aren't drafting damaged goods.

It would be my uneducated guess that if DPE plays this year, he still wouldn't be drafted for at least another complete season at NU. Even if he returns to All America form in the return game and proves to be a capable starting WR.

Kenny Bell might be instructive as well. Kid was a really good receiver at NU and DPE may or may not be as productive as Bell in his career. Bell was never a threat to leave early and just throw up deuces to the coaches on the way out.

H
It would be my uneducated guess that if DPE plays this year, he still wouldn't be drafted for at least another complete season at NU. Even if he returns to All America form in the return game and proves to be a capable starting WR.

Given that you can't declare for the draft until you're three years out of high school, it's a certainty that he wouldn't be drafted until after next season at the earliest. He's not remotely close to polished enough as a WR at this time.

If he returns to freshman form as a punt return man and shows even reasonable skill as a WR, the NFL will throw enough money his way that it's unlikely he would return for a 5th season in Lincoln. If he feels good and the doctors say he's fully healed by mid-season I think you play him, far from a given that he returns for a 5th year anyway if he looks like, say a 3d round pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT