ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Bruning

I thought I read that the investigator said Bruning blew them off. Was this a miscalculation?
An investigator's off the cuff statement to a reporter was that Bruning "blew him off". Is that actually what happened or did Bruning tell him that he had to have more than what he was getting from said investigator? I'm not sure what Bruning was supposed to do. As of today no warrant has been issued for Washington and today an official in that county's prosecutors office told KETV it could be months before that happens. IF the judge issues a warrant, then Washington will have to go turn himself in. Bruning I assume made his decision based on the information he had at the time and I'm not sure that I would trust an "investigator" to necessarily be completely forthcoming or maybe even truthful at this point. As I've posted before, I'm not sure that most prosecutors would be pursuing this case so aggressively.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
If Bruning blew him off, I'm guessing it's because he had no role to play in the situation. He is not AG and doesn't practice criminal law, to the best of my knowledge. And John Ball is Washington's attorney.

Oh I know investigators aren't always to be believed, but I'm going off of this

An investigator on the case said the Sheriff’s Department has been unable to interview Washington during the months-long investigation after making requests through the University of Nebraska’s Athletic Department, as well as Washington’s former attorney, Jon Bruning, who is the former Attorney General of Nebraska.

The investigator said Bruning questioned whether charges would actually be filed against his client when contacted last fall by the Sheriff’s Department.

“The general air was, ‘Is this really as big of a deal as you’re making it?’” the investigator said. “I explained to him that we do take these cases very seriously. Cases like this can have severe consequences, especially for the victims, throughout their entire lives, and we were investigating wholeheartedly because of that fact.”

Bruning, reached Friday by NBC Bay Area, declined to comment on the case.

I just wonder if some of this couldn't have been mitigated a bit with a conversation instead of having it blow up like this months later.

Oh I know investigators aren't always to be believed, but I'm going off of this

An investigator on the case said the Sheriff’s Department has been unable to interview Washington during the months-long investigation after making requests through the University of Nebraska’s Athletic Department, as well as Washington’s former attorney, Jon Bruning, who is the former Attorney General of Nebraska.

The investigator said Bruning questioned whether charges would actually be filed against his client when contacted last fall by the Sheriff’s Department.

“The general air was, ‘Is this really as big of a deal as you’re making it?’” the investigator said. “I explained to him that we do take these cases very seriously. Cases like this can have severe consequences, especially for the victims, throughout their entire lives, and we were investigating wholeheartedly because of that fact.”

Bruning, reached Friday by NBC Bay Area, declined to comment on the case.

I just wonder if some of this couldn't have been mitigated a bit with a conversation instead of having it blow up like this months later.

I guess I could see that being possible.

If Bruning blew him off, I'm guessing it's because he had no role to play in the situation. He is not AG and doesn't practice criminal law, to the best of my knowledge. And John Ball is Washington's attorney.
Supposedly based on what the investigator told Bruning, Bruning asked him "is this really that big of a deal?". We don't know how much information the prosecutor shared with Bruning or if in fact that is how Bruning replied.

Last edited:
Reactions: GretnaShawn
Bruning was in the AG's office when the investigators first contacted Nebraska. Supposedly based on what the investigator told Bruning, Bruning asked him "is this really that big of a deal?". We don't know how much information the prosecutor shared with Bruning or if in fact that is how Bruning replied. Remember, we're talking about an county or city investigator calling the state of Nebraska's AG office. Frankly, I'm going to believe the state AG's office before I trust an investigator who's out there spilling the story to a newspaper in San Francisco.

Bruning left office in January 2015

Reactions: dinglefritz
Bruning was in the AG's office when the investigators first contacted Nebraska. Supposedly based on what the investigator told Bruning, Bruning asked him "is this really that big of a deal?". We don't know how much information the prosecutor shared with Bruning or if in fact that is how Bruning replied. Remember, we're talking about an county or city investigator calling the state of Nebraska's AG office. Frankly, I'm going to believe the state AG's office before I trust an investigator who's out there spilling the story to a newspaper in San Francisco.

Jon Bruning hasn't been the Attorney General in Nebraska since 2015, so I would assume he is in private practice now. From what I have heard about him over the years, I'd probably be inclined to believe the investigator.

Last edited:
Bruning left office in January 2015
I stand corrected. Sorry. I guess an account I read made it sound as if he was the AG when he was contacted. SO, in that case, he acted appropriately. No attorney worth his salt is going to let an investigator interview him over the phone where he can't intervene on his client's behalf. Obviously, the investigator wanted to get further evidence to use against Washington in court. Nothing Bruning said or did made anything any worse for Washington.

Reactions: JDskibum
Jon Bruning hasn't been the Attorney General in Nebraska since 2015, so I would assume he is in private practice now. From what I have heard about him over the years, I'd probably be inclined to believe investigator.
I kind of made the point about people spouting off when they don't know what they're talking about didn't I?:oops: I guess the account I read confused me. It made it sound as if Bruning had been in the AG's office when the inquiry was made. I don't live in Nebraska and don't keep up on it's politics.

Reactions: Husker Todd
Yeah, you don't know and neither do I. It's speculative. I know some investigators can be manipulative. But I'm not sure how much trust I should put into a politician like Bruning either. I just find this particular aspect fascinating is all.

I kind of made the point about people spouting off when they don't know what they're talking about didn't I?:oops: I guess the account I read confused me. It made it sound as if Bruning had been in the AG's office when the inquiry was made. I don't live in Nebraska and don't keep up on it's politics.

I wouldn't worry about it, I've done dumber stuff.

Yeah, you don't know and neither do I. It's speculative. I know some investigators can be manipulative. But I'm not sure how much trust I should put into a politician like Bruning either. I just find this particular aspect fascinating is all.
Well he was clearly protecting his client. No doubt this was a fishing expedition trying to get Washington to say something else on a recording to use as evidence. They have enough with the text and video probably to convict him but they always want all they can get. NOW, I understand why Bruning would "blow him off". What confused me was in the account I read they said that the AGs office had made NU aware that an investigator wanted to talk to Washington about something that happened in California then in the next breath said that Bruning had "blown them off".:oops:

Can't really speculate on what's happened up to this point in terms of Washington's representation, based on a news article. But if you are potentially facing serious criminal charges, you need a work horse, not a show horse. Washington is in better hands now that he has a real criminal defense attorney.

Can't really speculate on what's happened up to this point in terms of Washington's representation, based on a news article. But if you are potentially facing serious criminal charges, you need a work horse, not a show horse. Washington is in better hands now that he has a real criminal defense attorney.
The warrant request is in California. I believe California is very protectionist and makes it difficult for out of state attorneys to get a license to practice in their state. Bruning I highly doubt is licensed to practice law in California. Getting an attorney licensed in California was a necessity not a choice. It has nothing to do with Bruning's competence. BTW, you don't rise to the level he got to in the legal profession by being an incompetent boob.

The warrant request is in California. I believe California is very protectionist and makes it difficult for out of state attorneys to get a license to practice in their state. Bruning I highly doubt is licensed to practice law in California. Getting an attorney licensed in California was a necessity not a choice. It has nothing to do with Bruning's competence. BTW, you don't rise to the level he got to in the legal profession by being an incompetent boob.
So you have inside information on why Washington changed attorneys, and you know for certain that John C. Ball is licensed in California?

Last edited:
So you have inside information on why Washington changed attorneys, and you know for certain that John Ball is licensed in California?
John Ball specializes in criminal and JUVENILE law. I've read somewhere that Washington has retained an attorney in California as well. Bruning does not list criminal or juvenile law as areas of his practice nor is he licensed in California.

John Ball specializes in criminal and JUVENILE law. I've read somewhere that Washington has retained an attorney in California as well. Bruning does not list criminal or juvenile law as areas of his practice nor is he licensed in California.
And that's why I said Washington is in better hands with the attorney he has now, without claiming to know why he changed attorneys.

And that's why I said Washington is in better hands with the attorney he has now, without claiming to know why he changed attorneys.
You insulted his competency by calling him a "show horse" and not a "work horse". No doubt he's best off having somebody who specializes in his type of case but it has nothing to do with how hard Bruning works or how tough his practice of law was or is.

You insulted his competency by calling him a "show horse" and not a "work horse". No doubt he's best off having somebody who specializes in his type of case but it has nothing to do with how hard Bruning works or how tough his practice of law was or is.
On the contrary - there are very competent show horses, I just wouldn't use one to sort cattle or pull a plow. Washington needs an experienced, effective criminal defense attorney, and now he has one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT