ADVERTISEMENT

Job opens at Washington

Article I read about his firing. "... recruiting has been dismal under Lake's watch. The Huskies are not ranked in the top 40 of ESPN's recruiting class rankings and are ranked No. 54 nationally by 247Sports."

Meanwhile Nebraska is 71st with a 4th year head coach. Still don't understand bringing him back.

Washington cares more about winning than Nebraska. They dont want at least 2 complete shit show recruiting and transfer portal years in a row. Nebraska is a total joke now.
we'll see, West Coaster. Don't necessarily agree with you but in view of NU's reputation the past 20 plus years in
firing coaches with enormous payouts, Trev's approach may very well turn out to be sound.....Hope you are wrong but you may be possibly correct....

Wilcox has some history with the Huskies.
Yes, but is he any good? I haven’t been all that impressed with Wilcox’s tenure at Cal, but that is a tough school to be a football coach. Anyone notice how David Shaw in no longer winning across the bay at Stanford. Shaw was the Boy Wonder his first 8 seasons, but since 2018 the Cardinal has been underwhelming.

Last edited:
Reactions: CameronKrazie86
I bet Texas would pay $10 million to UW if they’d hire Sark back…
Sark won’t last 3 years at Texas. That was a major mistake. Sark needs to be a high paid OC. After being the head coach at 3 schools I think he has proven he is no head coach. Another coach with ties to U Dub got a new heading coaching job this weekend. Jim Mora at U Conn. That was a surprise. Jimmy will have a tough time there too.

Sark won’t last 3 years at Texas. That was a major mistake. Sark needs to be a high paid OC. After being the head coach at 3 schools I think he has proven he is no head coach. Another coach with ties to U Dub got a new heading coaching job this weekend. Jim Mora at U Conn. That was a surprise. Jimmy will have a tough time there too.
I can’t see anyone other than a FCS level coach taking a chance on that job. Jim’s gonna put his career to bed at that place.

Reactions: Wasker77
Yes, but is he any good? I haven’t been all that impressed with Wilcox’s tenure at Cal, but that is a tough school to be a football coach. Anyone notice how David Shaw in no longer winning across the bay at Stanford. Shaw was the Boy Wonder his first 8 seasons, but since 2018 the Cardinal has been underwhelming.
He was pretty successful as a DC at several schools. I don’t see him as a viable coach at UW. But, there is a lot of tension at Berkeley right now. And I think he jumps at any offer that is reasonable.

we'll see, West Coaster. Don't necessarily agree with you but in view of NU's reputation the past 20 plus years in
firing coaches with enormous payouts, Trev's approach may very well turn out to be sound.....Hope you are wrong but you may be possibly correct....
I pray I'm wrong too, based on risk analysis we have about a 0 to 1% probability of Frost being succesfull and competing for championships in the near future, about a 5% probability (at best) of Frost turning into the next Kirk Ferentz. The odds are not in our favor with a coach that can't even beat the Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, ect. ect.

Stanford's lack of support for football combined with their academic standards make them the Northwestern of the Pac12. Northwestern might turn that around with their new facilities but football will probably still take a back seat because of the academics. Shaw, like any football coach, is extremely dependent on his QB and his best QB recruit over the past decade barely played due to serious injuries.

Would Chris Petersen come back?
I don't want to go too far because of the political correctness of today's world, but if I were a coach I would be very careful before I signed my name on a dotted line with Washington. I think the pressure of being the head coach of a winning football team and balancing those duties with trying to meet the expectations of an extremely liberal university administration are why Petersen stepped away. Now that same administration had a very short leash for Jimmy Lake and fired him for being physical with a player. I am not sure that incident would get much play in the past or even today at many other schools. I know Lake's record was at .500 and somehow the Seattle Times managed to dig up a story about Lake, when still an assistant coach, how he may or may not have been physically rough on an Offensive player at an away game in Arizona. Lake, a defensive coach was telling the player in question that the offense needed to play better in order for the Huskies to win. (Why did that story not come up when U Dub vetted Lake for the head coaching job or why wasn't it an issue back when it occurred?) I think if you are going to coach football at a school like Washington who better walk a fine line (For Pete's sakes don't tell them you voted for Trump. They will just freak out.).

Last edited:
I don't want to go to far because of the political correctness of today's world, but if I were a coach I would be very careful before I signed my name on a dotted line with Washington. I think the pressure of being the head coach of a winning football team and balancing those duties with trying to meet the expectations of an extremely liberal university administration are why Petersen stepped away. Now that same administration had a very short leash for Jimmy Lake and fired him for being physical with a player. I am not sure that incident would get much play in the past or even today at many other schools. I know Lake's record was at .500 and somehow the Seattle Times managed to dig up a story about Lake, when still an assistant coach, how he may or may not have been physically rough on an Offensive player at an away game in Arizona. Lake, a defensive coach was telling the player in question that the offense needed to play better in order for the Huskies to win. (Why did that story not come up when U Dub vetted Lake for the head coaching job or why wasn't it an issue back when it occurred?) I think if you are going to coach football at a school like Washington who better walk a fine line (For Pete's sakes don't tell them you voted for Trump. They will just freak out.).

Agree with everything you said but it is still a lottery ticket worth at least 20mil. They'll fill the opening no prob, and the coach who will get paid millions to stop coaching there and eventually has to leave will be glad to cash their checks.

Agree with everything you said but it is still a lottery ticket worth at least 20mil. They'll fill the opening no prob, and the coach who will get paid millions to stop coaching there and eventually has to leave will be glad to cash their checks.
Yep, they go in hoping to win and knowing they will get fired. They know how it goes.

Why would Clawson, Campbell, or Fleck leave their current jobs for Washington? Especially considering none of them have ever coached west of the state of Iowa?

They should hire Aaron Best from Eastern Washington.
Or Beau Baldwin from Cal Poly. He's the guy who built Eastern Washington into a top FCS program. Cal Poly is terrible, but he took them over just as the COVID year was starting so not much of a chance to do anything yet.

Reactions: Wasker77
I would laugh if Frost was announced as the new HC there.

It would be like his version of pulling a Gebbia.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Being a coach in a blue state wouldn't be ideal. I think there will be more lockdowns for future variants or whatever they decide to "lab leak" in the future.

I wish I could go back in Time and become a coach. For crap sakes just win about 5 or 6 games in a season at a small school and get hot 1 year. Get a huge paycheck then either succeed or retire from the salary and buyout. Hell of a gig.

That or just follow the gravy train that is hiring and firing of head coaches for huge money. Its a ridiculously profitable merry go round. Nebraska was never on that ride but we have prime seats the last 20 years.

I don't want to go to far because of the political correctness of today's world, but if I were a coach I would be very careful before I signed my name on a dotted line with Washington. I think the pressure of being the head coach of a winning football team and balancing those duties with trying to meet the expectations of an extremely liberal university administration are why Petersen stepped away. Now that same administration had a very short leash for Jimmy Lake and fired him for being physical with a player. I am not sure that incident would get much play in the past or even today at many other schools. I know Lake's record was at .500 and somehow the Seattle Times managed to dig up a story about Lake, when still an assistant coach, how he may or may not have been physically rough on an Offensive player at an away game in Arizona. Lake, a defensive coach was telling the player in question that the offense needed to play better in order for the Huskies to win. (Why did that story not come up when U Dub vetted Lake for the head coaching job or why wasn't it an issue back when it occurred?) I think if you are going to coach football at a school like Washington who better walk a fine line (For Pete's sakes don't tell them you voted for Trump. They will just freak out.).
Do you have any evidence that is why petersen stepped away? Lake was fired because he was a bad coach with bad recruiting classes. Unless you have more evidence, it sounds like conspiracy nonsense.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
#cidsports why do you laugh at my post. Davis Mills was the 5 star top rated QB in the country when he was signed by Udub. He started 8 games and suffered a serious injury that never allowed him to get back to 100% in college. He set a school record with over 500 passing yards in a game. The dude could have been the next great Stanford QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT