ADVERTISEMENT

JD gone probable

If I'm ranking my beliefs on JD's status next year here is my ranking from most to least likely:

1) Doesn't play anywhere
2) Plays at NU
3) Plays at a lower level
4) Plays for Minnesota

I don't see him getting a waiver and it's been stated repeatedly that he isn't going to graduate.

He was poorly utilized last year and the team has sucked. It has to be a disappointing and demoralizing turn of events since his freshman year. I don't know if I would trust the sanity of anyone who took the hits he did last year for 4 wins and DIDN'T question whether it was worth it to do it all again.

If I'm ranking my beliefs on JD's status next year here is my ranking from most to least likely:

1) Doesn't play anywhere
2) Plays at NU
4) Plays for Minnesota

I don't see him getting a waiver and it's been stated repeatedly that he isn't going to graduate.

He was poorly utilized last year and the team has sucked. It has to be a disappointing and demoralizing turn of events since his freshman year. I don't know if I would trust the sanity of anyone who took the hits he did last year for 4 wins and DIDN'T question whether it was worth it to do it all again.

Spot on.

Just spoke with a friend of mine whose son was a wide receiver at Minnesota. His son, who was slated to start this year transferred to another school. They graduated two all conference wide receivers, and according to my friend, another one will,be unavailable. Fleck was surprised at my friends son transfer, and tried to convince him to stay. He says that Fleck's reputation among other coaches leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. He thinks JD will be playing at Minnesota next year, getting a waiver because of his fathers connections. Another interesting fact is that Coach requires the team to clap loudly when he enters the room. If they aren't loud enough, he leaves and re enters. Wow, what an ego.

Uh ok

Weird,A dude on twitter private messaged me a few days ago and said JD was 100% coming back to Neb. Said his mom is best friends with JDs mom. Said he is going through depression and smoking a ton of weed. His mom drove down here and made him come home. Said he has zero intention of transferring to MN or anywhere. It was his moms choice to have him leave not his.
Bottom line during these type of situations everyone seems to know something. Truth is nobody knows for sure what is going to happen except probably JD. He might not even know 100%
If I had to guess, all signs the last 2 years point to him being a gopher next year. Lets hope my "source" is more right than your source.

Sounds like the Keyshawn Jr situation. I'm guessing it will turn out the same way.

Reactions: husker2612
You have some interesting comments, some maybe not quite true. They did not graduate 2 all-conference wide receivers, just one, Tyler Johnson. Their number 2, 3 and 4 wide receivers are back. Not sure which one is unavailable? I am also not sure who was slated to start and transferred.
His entire original post makes no sense. No Gophers receiver slated to start has transferred. This thread is a waste of time.

You have some interesting comments, some maybe not quite true. They did not graduate 2 all-conference wide receivers, just one, Tyler Johnson. Their number 2, 3 and 4 wide receivers are back. Not sure which one is unavailable? I am also not sure who was slated to start and transferred.
Rashad Bateman, Tyler Johnson made Big Ten history by both being named 1st team all conference at the receiver position. Your right Bateman returns

1) Doesn't play anywhere
2) Plays at NU
4) Plays for Minnesota

You are forgetting the NCAA is voting next month in the one time transfer rule. Come April he won’t need to graduate to transfer.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
You are forgetting the NCAA is voting next month in the one time transfer rule. Come April he won’t need to graduate to transfer.

My understanding is that the Big Ten is hoping the moratorium on the one time transfer is lifted by the NCAA with a vote to take place in 2021 at the NCAA convention. So unless I am misunderstanding ( which is definitely possible : )....this wouldn't help JD.

That was already pointed out earlier, to which I acknowledged my stupidity. But he is on the sidelines for gopher games, they often go to him in game... he is connected to the university in that capacity and shares insight on the team periodically on KFAN.
i'm sure Ben Leiber has plenty of connections to gopher football. if he says it, i would tend to believe him.

Ben Leber is not on the sideline for any Gopher games period. He does color analysis for fox sports every week doing a national game. He has zero connection to the U.

Reactions: drubendall
Ben Leber is not on the sideline for any Gopher games period. He does color analysis for fox sports every week doing a national game. He has zero connection to the U.
Is Ben Leber often on Power Trip Morning Show on KFAN? Are you telling us Ben made up that Fleck has his team clap him in, and if the clapping isn’t loud enough they have to do it again? Because that’s what Ben reported on the Power Trip Morning Show.

Apologies that I keep getting wrong what Ben does, but I’m 100% sure about his report on Fleck being clapped in by the team.

Fleck is all about energy and he starts each team meeting with the team standing and clapping enthusiastically. The meeting starts when Fleck enters the room but it has nothing to do with Fleck stroking his ego and demanding a standing ovation for himself.

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
Then I guess Ben and the OP are wrong. I wonder if the team knows it’s not an ego thing...

Just spoke with a friend of mine whose son was a wide receiver at Minnesota. His son, who was slated to start this year transferred to another school. They graduated two all conference wide receivers, and according to my friend, another one will,be unavailable. Fleck was surprised at my friends son transfer, and tried to convince him to stay. He says that Fleck's reputation among other coaches leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. He thinks JD will be playing at Minnesota next year, getting a waiver because of his fathers connections. Another interesting fact is that Coach requires the team to clap loudly when he enters the room. If they aren't loud enough, he leaves and re enters. Wow, what an ego.

I think we Husker fans just need to wish JD well. If he comes back and plays for the Huskers, Great. If he transfers to Minnesota or another school we all should wish him well. Same if he gives up football all together. I am going to assume he is gone and then if he does return it will be a big bonus.

Reactions: Gerard10
QUOTE="IHATEIOWA, post: 5846638, member: 87176"]Ben Leber is not on the sideline for any Gopher games period. He does color analysis for fox sports every week doing a national game. He has zero connection to the U.[/QUOTE]
“The U”?

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
Fleck is all about energy and he starts each team meeting with the team standing and clapping enthusiastically. The meeting starts when Fleck enters the room but it has nothing to do with Fleck stroking his ego and demanding a standing ovation for himself.
Also, for the record, I did check what he does and he is a sideline analyst for KFAN, and since KFAN carries all the gopher games, he’s more connected than you care to believe. He knows players, and hears what’s going on. I’m gonna trust him a little more than you. Fair?

Reactions: leodisflowers
He definitely has an ego but so does every head coach in college football.

Bottom line is the OP is way off. The Gophers lost one All Conference receiver not two. Not a single receiver on the team is “unavailable.” And only a couple of deep back ups transferred, not a potential starter. Hard to trust his info is all.

He definitely has an ego but so does every head coach in college football.

Bottom line is the OP is way off. The Gophers lost one All Conference receiver not two. Not a single receiver on the team is “unavailable.” And only a couple of deep back ups transferred, not a potential starter. Hard to trust his info is all.
No worries. I do trust Ben’s info tho.

Also, for the record, I did check what he does and he is a sideline analyst for KFAN, and since KFAN carries all the gopher games, he’s more connected than you care to believe. He knows players, and hears what’s going on. I’m gonna trust him a little more than you. Fair?
He’s a sideline radio analyst for Vikings games. He does a national game each week for Fox tv on Saturdays, he’s never even in the same state as the gopher football team.

He’s a sideline radio analyst for Vikings games. He does a national game each week for Fox tv on Saturdays, he’s never even in the same state as the gopher football team.
Let me bow out of this as ungracefully as I can. I misread the bio. He is a sideline analyst for the Vikings for KFAN.

Big time apologies to you.

I would like to state for the record that Ben Leber was a hell of a good linebacker and seems like a pretty good guy all around.

Yeah, this doesn't add up. Tyler Johnson graduated and the #2, #3 and #4 guys from the last 2 seasons are all back. Two WRs recently retired for medical reasons; both had recurring injuries and never got close to playing in a game in 2 years. Another WR recently left; had a grand total of 1 catch through his RS Soph year, was not expected to be a factor and definitely not a starter.

This makes me chuckle.

The University of Minnesota have always been known as "The U" dating back to over a century. Miami adopted it in their heyday.

For the record, only one WR graduated - Tyler Johnson. The two other WRs rumored as transferring are getting medical retirements - Jornell Brooks and Erik Gibson.

Had Harrison Van Dyne stuck it out, I think with his height and speed he could have battled for the fourth spot. However, I can understand wanting to play as a guaranteed starter.

The clapping of the hands is for team energy and enthusiasm. Nothing else. I was there and witnessed it.

It is too bad about JD Spielman. It sounds like he really took a beating both mentally and physically last season. I hope he can recover and rejoin the Huskers. That is the best bet for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: schuele
The University of Minnesota have always been known as "The U" dating back to over a century. Miami adopted it in their heyday.

For the record, only one WR graduated - Tyler Johnson. The two other WRs rumored as transferring are getting medical retirements - Jornell Brooks and Erik Gibson.

Had Harrison Van Dyne stuck it out, I think with his height and speed he could have battled for the fourth spot. However, I can understand wanting to play as a guaranteed starter.

The clapping of the hands is for team energy and enthusiasm. Nothing else. I was there and witnessed it.

It is too bad about JD Spielman. It sounds like he really took a beating both mentally and physically last season. I hope he can recover and rejoin the Huskers. That is the best bet for him.
A honest question no sarcasm, do you get tired of pjs antics or as long as he’s winning it’s ok? Kinda like Nebraska with bozo

Reactions: headcard
A honest question no sarcasm, do you get tired of pjs antics or as long as he’s winning it’s ok? Kinda like Nebraska with bozo

Honestly, I thought this guy was bottle fed crack cocaine as a baby. I don't think he ever sleeps. He has boundless energy, is tireless full of enthusiasm. You automatically suspect he is on something.

Then, he started talking about HYPRR Culture, Nekton Mentality. What ta hey? As a Midwesterner that is too much.

But, then I hear that Row The Boat was in honor of his late son who died in his arm soon after he was born. It is about giving of self in service to others, about picking up your teammate. It is about the players leading. Then, I see what he has done to the players and the progress that they have made not only in football, but in life. He is a charismatic teacher and change agent.

It is all about the kids. Then, they start winning and getting better. I could see it in the changes in the body language of the players. Grades are up. The kids did a lot of community service. He taught them the importance of giving.

So, I did not buy into what I thought was nonsense bull crap at first. He is doing what he was hired to do. I am having an honest to goodness second opinion. I will never in a million years get use to that fancy talk. But, it works. The players buy in. I have to face the fact that he is genuine. There is nothing fake about him. What you see is what you get with all that gobbly goob talk.

Honestly, I thought this guy was bottle fed crack cocaine as a baby. I don't think he ever sleeps. He has boundless energy, is tireless full of enthusiasm. You automatically suspect he is on something.

Then, he started talking about HYPRR Culture, Nekton Mentality. What ta hey? As a Midwesterner that is too much.

But, then I hear that Row The Boat was in honor of his late son who died in his arm soon after he was born. It is about giving of self in service to others, about picking up your teammate. It is about the players leading. Then, I see what he has done to the players and the progress that they have made not only in football, but in life. He is a charismatic teacher and change agent.

It is all about the kids. Then, they start winning and getting better. I could see it in the changes in the body language of the players. Grades are up. The kids did a lot of community service. He taught them the importance of giving.

So, I did not buy into what I thought was nonsense bull crap at first. He is doing what he was hired to do. I am having an honest to goodness second opinion. I will never in a million years get use to that fancy talk. But, it works. The players buy in. I have to face the fact that he is genuine. There is nothing fake about him. What you see is what you get with all that gobbly goob talk.
He's just nutty.

Reactions: HOTTGopherFan
Obviously I have no idea what is going on inside JDs head. One has to imagine that things must be pretty bad in there to basically leave teammates and friends you have known for 3 years. To have potential to break many WR records and just walk away from it all. If he does indeed transfer to another school I can't help but wonder how miserable he was and who or what has made him that way.

Obviously I have no idea what is going on inside JDs head. One has to imagine that things must be pretty bad in there to basically leave teammates and friends you have known for 3 years. To have potential to break many WR records and just walk away from it all. If he does indeed transfer to another school I can't help but wonder how miserable he was and who or what has made him that way.

Why give it all up? He has a chance to leave a lasting legacy as one of the Husker greats. As much as I love for him to don a Gopher uniform, he should return to Lincoln after he heals.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT