ADVERTISEMENT

Jamire officially reopens his recruitment

“It's something we're trying to work through, how we'd be able to travel for the games,” Johnson said. “It's not personal. It's more of an issue of how we are going to get there. If we can't go see him play in any games, then what is it all for?

Calvin's choice of Oregon State — a Pac-12 North team that plays at USC or UCLA occasionally — surprised the family and Nebraska's coaches."

I would venture to say that this is probably one of the biggest obstacles for every single recruit that is not from the B1G footprint that comes to Nebraska.

The parents want to go watch their sons play the game in person.

Same reason why some people have claimed that we will not recruit as well in Texas. When your home games are 12+ hours of driving and there are no away games near your hometown, it just doesn't make sense. Ask Avery Roberts how hard of a decision it was to commit to Nebraska with him personal family situation. It will be just as difficult of a decision for his brother soon... stay close to mom/home or go play with my brother.

I would tell some recruits parents that getting to watch your son on TV is much better than watching him play in person. :D The view is much better, saves money, more comfortable, doesn't take all day/weekend, etc. :D:D:D

It would be a lot easier for Nebraska to pull kids out of SEC country if we were in that conference and actually played several games in that region on a yearly basis. Being in the B1G, we should have an easier time convincing kids to come play here because their family will easily be able to watch the games, although it is still a decent length driving trip.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Just saw a Washington State beat writer post this on twitter.

Just curious if any knows if this is a recruiting violation?

Possibly, but when Washington State travels to Cal, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Stanford and Utah that is a much easier travel from Pasadena, CA than to any Nebraska home or away game.

Sort of. Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Stanford and Cal every year. Then 4 of the 6 from the south each year, only 2 on the road, 2 in Pullman. if it's all about watching the kid play, tell him to go to San Diego St or Fresno St and you can watch every home game and most away games

Reactions: HuskerO
Question....Would it be an NCAA violation for Keyshawn Sr., who has been flying recruits all over the country, to allow Calvin's family to join him for a game a year in Lincoln?
Not if he's not a nebraska booster.

Sort of. Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Stanford and Cal every year. Then 4 of the 6 from the south each year, only 2 on the road, 2 in Pullman. if it's all about watching the kid play, tell him to go to San Diego St or Fresno St and you can watch every home game and most away games
I didn't mean to imply that WSU would play all the teams from the south I listed more often than not.

I didn't mean to imply that WSU would play all the teams from the south I listed more often than not.

I agree, just pointing out that it he will play, on average, 1.5 games per season within driving distance. It isn't like by going to Washington St the family will get to see him 5 times per year. Just flawed thinking by parents.

Reactions: HuskerO
I agree, just pointing out that it he will play, on average, 1.5 games per season within driving distance. It isn't like by going to Washington St the family will get to see him 5 times per year. Just flawed thinking by parents.
Palo Alto, Berkeley and Tempe are 5-5.5 hrs away from LA, Tuscon 7.5. Next year, the closest WSU games from LA are in Tuscon and Berkeley.

And I might add that if I'm a parent and choosing between the Pirate and Riley to coach my kid, I'd take Riley hands down.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I give zero shits if Calvin goes somewhere else. His recruiting process has been ridiculous. Someone else can fill that spot. NBD.
I understand your sentiment, but give the kid a break. He's a 17/18 year old kid that is being torn in different directions. He also has a lot of media and fan attention that is probably not making it any easier. Hell, I had a hard time deciding whether to get a used honda or toyota at that age. This is a decision that may impact the rest of his life, so I'll cut him some slack.

I hope he ends up here selfishly because I think he'd be a nice player to have on our team, but I hope all these kids go where they are most suited to be successful.

However, to your point, I'm not going to cry if he ends up going somewhere else. That's the life recruiting high school kids.

I understand your sentiment, but give the kid a break. He's a 17/18 year old kid that is being torn in different directions. He also has a lot of media and fan attention that is probably not making it any easier. Hell, I had a hard time deciding whether to get a used honda or toyota at that age. This is a decision that may impact the rest of his life, so I'll cut him some slack.

I hope he ends up here selfishly because I think he'd be a nice player to have on our team, but I hope all these kids go where they are most suited to be successful.

However, to your point, I'm not going to cry if he ends up going somewhere else. That's the life recruiting high school kids.

Oh, I agree with you. I'm simply saying that at this point I don't care if we land him. He's all over the place and that's concerning.

He's a piece of the puzzle that is easily replaced.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The parents need to back off. If he loves the Huskers and thats the team he wants to play for, they need to let him make HIS decision and stop trying to make HIS decision for him. He will not be happy, wont have his full heart into it and wont get the most out if his opportunity. And im sure his parents could find someone whiling to help them get tickets to the game if he picks us and signs. If i had the money id buy them season tickets and plane tickets to make each and ever home game if they let him come here.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
I give zero shits if Calvin goes somewhere else. His recruiting process has been ridiculous. Someone else can fill that spot. NBD.
The kid weighs a buck forty nine. You've got to have a good head on your shoulders and be tough as hell to be that small and play at a top level.

Oh, I agree with you. I'm simply saying that at this point I don't care if we land him. He's all over the place and that's concerning.

He's a piece of the puzzle that is easily replaced.

Blades made a commitment, reopened his commitment and listed 5 schools, then made a video and listed 3 schools and yet no one (on this board at least) is calling him out as "all over the place." Wherever Calvin, Blades and any recruit wants to be before they sign on the dotted line is up to them. Does Calvin have skills we can use? Sure (although not sure if much those skills are not already met by Spielman and Lindsey). If we don't want him, I hope it is because we have better recruits that fill our need than we fear that 17 year old kids change their mind before Signing Day.

Reactions: nebcountry
Blades made a commitment, reopened his commitment and listed 5 schools, then made a video and listed 3 schools and yet no one (on this board at least) is calling him out as "all over the place." Wherever Calvin, Blades and any recruit wants to be before they sign on the dotted line is up to them. Does Calvin have skills we can use? Sure (although not sure if much those skills are not already met by Spielman and Lindsey). If we don't want him, I hope it is because we have better recruits that fill our need than we fear that 17 year old kids change their mind before Signing Day.

Not even remotely similar the way these two have handled their respective recruiting situation.

Ummm. That because we NEED Blades. That's part of my point. Calvin isn't terribly important to this class.

We needed a 4th wide receiver, so getting Calvin was huge and it saves them on recruiting so hard for receivers next year!

ADVERTISEMENT