ADVERTISEMENT

Jamire officially reopens his recruitment

I said if I struck out on one or both big ones then Calvin is the fall back guy. We need big wideouts badly.
Calvin is too good of a WR to be called a "Fall Back" guy. In my opinion a fall back guy would be no one we are after right now. Thompson is probably the lowest rated WR recruit we have on our radar. I know he is a 5.9 4* here on rivals, but other sites are no where close to that rating.

At WR we got the first guys we were after so far and Calvin and Lewis are the other two. In my eyes our top DB's are where we are falling into possible "Fall Back" catagory. Even then I don't think Curl and Onyemaobi are really what I would consider "Fall Back". I think our board looked something like this, with a couple names that had absolutely no interest in us not listed

1. Darnay Holmes
2. Greg Johnson
3. Deommodore Lenoir
4. Jaylon Johnson
5. Jaylen Kelly-Powell
6. Elijah Blades
7. Thomas Graham
8. Jaylon Redd
9. Kamren Curl
10. Michael Onyemaobi

So does having 5 quality WRs change the set/personel on the field on offense from 2/3 WR to 3/4? Or does it just mean that we always have fresh legs for our 2 and 3 WR sets and enjoy good depth?

Line a WR up at FB to show the power I look to the D, then have him go in motion and have a speedy mismatch...

There was an article after the bowl game that quoted Langsdorf to expect about the same offense moving forward. I took what was said pretty much literally, but not as some commandment written in stone type thing.

There's about 4 reasons as to why we're wanting so many receivers this year. Those reasons are Alston, Harrison, Tolbert, and Irons. Our depth at WR is hurting to say the least, and we need to guarantee some panouts by taking more.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Calvin is too good of a WR to be called a "Fall Back" guy. In my opinion a fall back guy would be no one we are after right now. Thompson is probably the lowest rated WR recruit we have on our radar. I know he is a 5.9 4* here on rivals, but other sites are no where close to that rating.

At WR we got the first guys we were after so far and Calvin and Lewis are the other two. In my eyes our top DB's are where we are falling into possible "Fall Back" catagory. Even then I don't think Curl and Onyemaobi are really what I would consider "Fall Back". I think our board looked something like this, with a couple names that had absolutely no interest in us not listed

1. Darnay Holmes
2. Greg Johnson
3. Deommodore Lenoir
4. Jaylon Johnson
5. Jaylen Kelly-Powell
6. Elijah Blades
7. Thomas Graham
8. Jaylon Redd
9. Kamren Curl
10. Michael Onyemaobi

I don't think its that complicated, under no circumstance does Riley say "well hold on Elijah Blades, I want to see what Greg Johnson has to say" in the 2017 cycle.

They would likely take the first two to say yes in your Top 9 there, and make room for any other top shelf guy that would also say yes (potentially a Johnson etc as a NSD decision).

Curl is the only safety recruit listed up there. Onyemaobi popped up late because he's a DW guy and DW is now the old new guy on the staff after clearing his first month.

Michael D. Onyemaobi ‏@M_Onyemaobi 10m10 minutes ago

First visit of the day
1f33d.png
26ab.png
1f534.png
#GBR #Nebraska #blackshirtspic.twitter.com/1czFiuau3o

C2d61pAVIAAjAcr.jpg

Mike Riley, Donte Williams, Nebraska Football and 2 others
2 replies 14 retweets 45 likes

1. Darnay Holmes
2. Greg Johnson
3. Deommodore Lenoir
4. Jaylon Johnson
5. Jaylen Kelly-Powell
6. Elijah Blades
7. Thomas Graham
8. Jaylon Redd
9. Kamren Curl
10. Michael Onyemaobi
Too many people are stuck on what these sites rate the players abilities. What's more important is what the NU staff rate the players.

Too many people are stuck on what these sites rate the players abilities. What's more important is what the NU staff rate the players.

You mean to tell me that the staff doesn't just buy a yearly subscription to Rivals and the other sites to find out who they should recruit?

Reactions: StrongArm517
You mean to tell me that the staff doesn't just buy a yearly subscription to Rivals and the other sites to find out who they should recruit?
Yeah right. I'm sure they use some sites to gather names they don't know and tag them with their own ratings.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
There was an article after the bowl game that quoted Langsdorf to expect about the same offense moving forward. I took what was said pretty much literally, but not as some commandment written in stone type thing.

There's about 4 reasons as to why we're wanting so many receivers this year. Those reasons are Alston, Harrison, Tolbert, and Irons. Our depth at WR is hurting to say the least, and we need to guarantee some panouts by taking more.
Don't forget Grim left us last year as well.

Don't forget Grim left us last year as well.

I'd guess there's others I left off as well.

I didn't comment on Calvin earlier. I think he'd be a great pickup for us. It looks like he's really wanted to come here, but he had to make concessions. I'd be more than happy to give him a welcome and GBR if he ends up here.

Mario Goodrich
Lees Summit, MO (Lee's Summit West)
Wide Receiver, Cornerback, Returner
Ht 6-2 Wt 180 CLASS OF 18

Speaking of wideouts, we offered this dude today for next recruiting cycle. He's quite a player and in the 500 mile radius. Could be a DB too.

Last edited:

Well, when you remove several QB run plays, the offense will look different to most fans, but I understand that he's saying routes, schemes, etc. are going to be mostly the same. I think the biggest thing is that we should be aiming for more like 65% completion instead of 51% completion which will certainly also help making the offense look a lot different.

Lees Summit, MO (Lee's Summit West)
Wide Receiver, Cornerback, Returner
Ht 6-2 Wt 180 CLASS OF 18

Speaking of wideouts, we offered this dude today for next recruiting cycle. He's quite a player and in the 500 mile radius. Could be a DB too.
For those who can't read the invisible ink, this dude is Mario Goodrich. ;)

There is a thread already started on him.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Well, when you remove several QB run plays, the offense will look different to most fans, but I understand that he's saying routes, schemes, etc. are going to be mostly the same. I think the biggest thing is that we should be aiming for more like 65% completion instead of 51% completion which will certainly also help making the offense look a lot different.
We will be far more successful with screen plays, passes to running backs coming out of the backfield, intermiadte crossing routes, hitting open receivers in stride, and hitting secondary and tertiary check down options.
If Lee or Obrien are as good as advertised, our offense should explode next year.

I don't want to derail the thread and get too far off topic. I'm wondering how much latitude our "new" qb's will be given to audible/change plays at the LOS. I somewhat view RPO as bandaid in terms of reading a defense presnap. And I'm pretty much ignorant of defensive schemes, so I'd be interested in reading what others have to say. I'd just guess that minus QB runs, our offense will look pretty much the same. The part that's kind of up in the air to me is FB and TE with McNitt, Miles, and the graduating TE's. Who knows for certain, maybe we'll see a bunch of 4 WR sets this year.

I don't want to derail the thread and get too far off topic. I'm wondering how much latitude our "new" qb's will be given to audible/change plays at the LOS. I somewhat view RPO as bandaid in terms of reading a defense presnap. And I'm pretty much ignorant of defensive schemes, so I'd be interested in reading what others have to say. I'd just guess that minus QB runs, our offense will look pretty much the same. The part that's kind of up in the air to me is FB and TE with McNitt, Miles, and the graduating TE's. Who knows for certain, maybe we'll see a bunch of 4 WR sets this year.
H-back too.

I'm not even sure you remove the QB run plays. IF you run a true zone read option play with the QB keeping it once a game or once every other game, it is bound to have some success. LIkewise, you HAVE to keep in the QB draw for a pro style QB. So pretty much everything will still be in play IMO other than a straight power sweep with the QB keeping the ball.

I think when he committed to OreSt we may have moved him to a fall back. If his heart is truely here, he would have committed here. I think now that we are getting limited in space, we may have extended his spot to someone else, and if they dont sign we will take Calvin.

He is Nebraska's to lose (imo), although I was wrong about him before. I'll be more surprised if he chose against the Huskers, a second time, than committing to us.

Frankly, I am tired of thinking about this kid. If he picks us, great. I guess. But if staying on the west coast is so important to him I think he should just stay there. Don't want another homesick freshman wide receiver bolting out of here again after one semester.

If he really wants to play for Nebraska then just say so and commit. Not certain he is as set on NU as some on here have been saying. So I disagree that he is ours to lose.

I think when he committed to OreSt we may have moved him to a fall back. If his heart is truely here, he would have committed here. I think now that we are getting limited in space, we may have extended his spot to someone else, and if they dont sign we will take Calvin.
I wonder if his family still wants him in the PAC 12 so they can see him play some games on the road.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I'd say it's pretty obvious the kid wants to be in Lincoln. Hopefully that wins out.

Reactions: iROOT4nu
I asked above a related question... wouldn't it actually be easier to get a flight to Lincoln rather than Pullman? Distance and ease of travel just can't be the issue. Maybe Jaysker nailed it above concerning games played in LA
I think that is it, he has a couple of younger sisters as well and flying the whole family to games would be expensive.

"The 5-foot-9, 175-pound four-star slot receiver, believed to be a lock for NU and its “Calibraska” movement, was visibly emotional during his announcement Saturday. Johnson said Calvin had switched from Nebraska to Oregon State Saturday morning, largely because he wanted his family to see him play in college — both his parents, Johnson said, and Calvin's younger sisters, who are 13 and 9.

“It's something we're trying to work through, how we'd be able to travel for the games,” Johnson said. “It's not personal. It's more of an issue of how we are going to get there. If we can't go see him play in any games, then what is it all for?”

Calvin's choice of Oregon State — a Pac-12 North team that plays at USC or UCLA occasionally — surprised the family and Nebraska's coaches."

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I think that is it, he has a couple of younger sisters as well and flying the whole family to games would be expensive.

"The 5-foot-9, 175-pound four-star slot receiver, believed to be a lock for NU and its “Calibraska” movement, was visibly emotional during his announcement Saturday. Johnson said Calvin had switched from Nebraska to Oregon State Saturday morning, largely because he wanted his family to see him play in college — both his parents, Johnson said, and Calvin's younger sisters, who are 13 and 9.

“It's something we're trying to work through, how we'd be able to travel for the games,” Johnson said. “It's not personal. It's more of an issue of how we are going to get there. If we can't go see him play in any games, then what is it all for?”

Calvin's choice of Oregon State — a Pac-12 North team that plays at USC or UCLA occasionally — surprised the family and Nebraska's coaches."
Let your son play where he wants. Whatsit all for? Him. Thats what its all for.
Tv covers every game and im sure they could at least make it to a few in his career.

ADVERTISEMENT