ADVERTISEMENT

Jamire officially reopens his recruitment

Four-star athlete Greg Johnson will visit Oregon the weekend of Jan. 20 and then head to USC the following weekend as he finalizes his decision.

The former Arizona commit said Nebraska is also in the mix for his commitment; he raved about the people there and how that will play a factor into his thinking. USC, Oregon and Nebraska are the main contenders for Johnson. Are we recruiting him as a WR or athlete or DB?
I believe Johnson is being recruited as an athlete and will have a chance to play both sides of the ball.

Reactions: HBK4life
Four-star athlete Greg Johnson will visit Oregon the weekend of Jan. 20 and then head to USC the following weekend as he finalizes his decision.

The former Arizona commit said Nebraska is also in the mix for his commitment; he raved about the people there and how that will play a factor into his thinking. USC, Oregon and Nebraska are the main contenders for Johnson. Are we recruiting him as a WR or athlete or DB?
Hopefully DB.

We are taking 5. We have 3. I don't think our staff would have been out there ASAP after he pulled the hat if they didn't think he would come to his senses. Take him and either J. Lewis, R Grimes or G Johnson and we are good. N
We are in need of big body receivers more than the little guys. Spellman red shorted and along with Lyndsey gives us two guys that can stretch the field. Junior and McQuinty are the media size guys, now we need a couple of big receivers.

Find it interesting that Calvin decommits from the Beavers right before Riley and KW go in home with Hawkins mid-week.

Find it interesting that Calvin decommits from the Beavers right before Riley and KW go in home with Hawkins mid-week.

I would think there is some pressure from the coaching staff for all remaining WR prospects (outside of Lewis). It feels nice to finally start recruiting at s position where there is a sense of urgency by the prospects.

We are in need of big body receivers more than the little guys. Spellman red shorted and along with Lyndsey gives us two guys that can stretch the field. Junior and McQuitty are the medium size guys, now we need a couple of big receivers.

We are in need of overall talent more than any specific body type. I think the staff overall feels pretty good certainly about Calvin, and then perhaps Nick Robinson then maybe followed by Bryan Thompson.

To get to five WR, they would probably take Calvin as 4, and then hope one of Robinson, Thompson, or Jody Lewis commits. Quite honestly, if 2 of those last 3 wanted N, I'd say they'd stretch to six, certainly for Lewis, and partially because Nick Robinson has potential at TE.

Reactions: nebcountry
I would think there is some pressure from the coaching staff for all remaining WR prospects (outside of Lewis). It feels nice to finally start recruiting at s position where there is a sense of urgency by the prospects.

They are, they are going down their board if smaller WR and letting them know it is time and first one N gets the final spot for that type of receiver in the group.

Reactions: HuskerO
Reading these posts, this is just such an amazing problem to have. "Do we take 5, or 6, ELITE WR's?"

I can almost hear the announcers in the coming years now: "Well, this isn't your dad's Nebraska! Another touchdown for _________!" We're moving away from brutally pounding the rock to much more of a balanced, speed, and finesse offense with the potential to hang a lot of points on teams, quickly. It'll be exciting for sure!

Nebraska would accept Calvin's commitment. My guess is since his heart is at NU, he sees NU bringing in all of these WR for visits and doesn't want to miss out.
Should have thought about that when he grabbed the Oregon hat. I would want 2 big bodied guys. He may be lucky it's not me making our choices because I would lock him out for 2 big WR's. If I don't get them then go back to Calvin. But as far as I'm concerned, Lindsey has his spot now.

Reactions: Red I 73
Should have thought about that when he grabbed the Oregon hat. I would want 2 big bodied guys. He may be lucky it's not me making our choices because I would lock him out for 2 big WR's. If I don't get them then go back to Calvin. But as far as I'm concerned, Lindsey has his spot now.

You could really only take your approach if you felt pretty confident that 2 big WR's will come here.

And its not really necessary anyway, the guy we have the best chance with (Robinson) could play TE. There's no reason to throw a Top 250 guy in Calvin to the curb in favor of two big bodies. We could get Calvin and 2 big bodies and still end up with 5 WR.

Calvin is a special WR, it would be silly not to take him because you want a big WR. Take the best players possible and don't get too caught up in semantics. It's not like Lindsey and Calvin can only play in the slot, plenty of 5'9-5'10 guys have been great outside receivers: Antionio Brown, Steve Smith, Brandon Cooks.

Calvin is a special WR, it would be silly not to take him because you want a big WR. Take the best players possible and don't get too caught up in semantics. It's not like Lindsey and Calvin can only play in the slot, plenty of 5'9-5'10 guys have been great outside receivers: Antionio Brown, Steve Smith, Brandon Cooks.

I totally agree. Plus, people seem to be downplaying that Key Jr is over 6 feet tall, and I'm hearing McQuitty is too. Sure, we'd like a really tall receiver, but those guys are tall enough to play outside no problem.

I totally agree. Plus, people seem to be downplaying that Key Jr is over 6 feet tall, and I'm hearing McQuitty is too. Sure, we'd like a really tall receiver, but those guys are tall enough to play outside no problem.

And we have a couple of very tall TE's coming in if you are looking for a tall passing threat.

Reactions: headcard
Absolutely. The same size a Morgan Jr, who is a good possession receiver, plus we have recruited some big TE's we can utilize as well.

We are in need of overall talent more than any specific body type. I think the staff overall feels pretty good certainly about Calvin, and then perhaps Nick Robinson then maybe followed by Bryan Thompson.

To get to five WR, they would probably take Calvin as 4, and then hope one of Robinson, Thompson, or Jody Lewis commits. Quite honestly, if 2 of those last 3 wanted N, I'd say they'd stretch to six, certainly for Lewis, and partially because Nick Robinson has potential at TE.

The Pats do pretty well without having a big body guy @ WR. Hogan maybe the only one over 6ft & that's a bit iffy on Hogan being 6ft. Matter of fact a lot of NFL teams run a few guys under 6ft @ the same time. Locket & Baldwin out in SEA are a pretty good duo. The days of under 6ft = slot are over. Hell the Cards biggest WR is the slot and the guys on the outside are the shorter ones. And their not the only ones.

And yes I very much want Calvin. I think him & Lindsey on the field together would create major match-up problems for the D-cords of the B1G.

The Pats do pretty well without having a big body guy @ WR. Hogan maybe the only one over 6ft & that's a bit iffy on Hogan being 6ft. Matter of fact a lot of NFL teams run a few guys under 6ft @ the same time. Locket & Baldwin out in SEA are a pretty good duo. The days of under 6ft = slot are over. Hell the Cards biggest WR is the slot and the guys on the outside are the shorter ones. And their not the only ones.

And yes I very much want Calvin. I think him & Lindsey on the field together would create major match-up problems for the D-cords of the B1G.

Yah I'm definitely in the "I don't care what size the talent comes in" camp.

Folks want to take a hard tack with Calvin because he broke their heart, but recruiting ain't for the faint hearted.

Lucky Coach Dub is a pro ;)

And we have a couple of very tall TE's coming in if you are looking for a tall passing threat.

I absolutely love a short speedy WR with great hands in the middle with a tall big body TE in the middle. Thinking Julian & Gronk. Baldwin & Jimmy G. Hill & Kelce. Witten & Beasley. Crowder & Reed... Super pumped about the possibilities of husker future here.

Reactions: headcard
Drama boy. Stay away. Who was the other insecure recruit who had the daddy issues. Went to A$M. Glad he gone. Can't remember his name. Cancer in the locker room.

Only reason the kid pulled out @ the last second was because he found out that TL was going to commit so he freaked out. He figured he was going to get lost in the fold since TL & him have similar size & skill sets. But these are kids and I understand the over reaction. Now we understand the tears on his commit. It just took coach dub to talk the kid down from the ledge a little to see that there's more than enough room on the field for both Calvin & TL.

So does having 5 quality WRs change the set/personel on the field on offense from 2/3 WR to 3/4? Or does it just mean that we always have fresh legs for our 2 and 3 WR sets and enjoy good depth?

Line a WR up at FB to show the power I look to the D, then have him go in motion and have a speedy mismatch...

So does having 5 quality WRs change the set/personel on the field on offense from 2/3 WR to 3/4? Or does it just mean that we always have fresh legs for our 2 and 3 WR sets and enjoy good depth?

Line a WR up at FB to show the power I look to the D, then have him go in motion and have a speedy mismatch...
Put a wide receiver at FB to give a power look? What defense would believe that ruse? That would be like lining up your offensive tackle at the wideout position in order to give a "speed look", but then pull the tackle for a sweep play. What deception!

Not trying to be a smart ass but I don't think your idea would work. But perhaps I am misreading what you mean.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I think Calvin is going to be a good one. I think we definitely take him. Never know how playing time shakes out with depth chart, injuries, etc. It may never happen, but think it would be neat to see DPE, Spielman, Lindsey, and Calvin all on the field at once and make DB's chase those 4 around the field.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Calvin a great get, no matter what you particularly think his role may or may not be.

Tossing him aside for "maybe" Thompson and "maybe Lewis" doesn't sound like a recipe for success for NU. We have more room on the "make room" side of the ledger than the "turn away elite talent that wants to come here" side.

You could really only take your approach if you felt pretty confident that 2 big WR's will come here.

And its not really necessary anyway, the guy we have the best chance with (Robinson) could play TE. There's no reason to throw a Top 250 guy in Calvin to the curb in favor of two big bodies. We could get Calvin and 2 big bodies and still end up with 5 WR.
I said if I struck out on one or both big ones then Calvin is the fall back guy. We need big wideouts badly.

I said if I struck out on one or both big ones then Calvin is the fall back guy. We need big wideouts badly.

I also said we could accommodate all three (in truth we could accommodate all four). There's no reason to make him a fallback if he wants to commit before the others. .

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Calvin a great get, no matter what you particularly think his role may or may not be.

Tossing him aside for "maybe" Thompson and "maybe Lewis" doesn't sound like a recipe for success for NU. We have more room on the "make room" side of the ledger than the "turn away elite talent that wants to come here" side.
You say he's elite. How do you know if the staff don't have 2 or 3 guys ahead him?

I also said we could accommodate all three (in truth we could accommodate all four). There's no reason to make him a fallback if he wants to commit before the others. .
He had his chance and took Oregon. I'd much rather have Lindsey than Calvin.

You say he's elite. How do you know if the staff don't have 2 or 3 guys ahead him?

This doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. The guy who could potentially lose out would be Radfal.

Supposing Jody Lewis, Robinson, Thompson and Calvin all wanted N, they'd put Robinson at TE. That would give us 6 receivers (we said we'd stretch to fit Lewis).

With 4* Robinson at TE, if Radfal dickers around too much, he may lose the chance to commit. But that scenario ultimately seems unlikely for a variety of reasons. The first one being, Lewis will be a NSD decision so we probably won't get in a situation where we have everyone but Radfal on-board first.

The staff took Calvin's call very shortly after Calvin ditched us. Riley personally called his mother to see what they could have done better. They aren't interested in throwing Calvin out the window.

Reactions: HuskerO
Put a wide receiver at FB to give a power look? What defense would believe that ruse? That would be like lining up your offensive tackle at the wideout position in order to give a "speed look", but then pull the tackle for a sweep play. What deception!

Not trying to be a smart ass but I don't think your idea would work. But perhaps I am misreading what you mean.

I am pretty sure defenses get their personnel from who is in the huddle. So having a WR line up at FB wouldn't change the personnel on the field or necessarily create a mismatch.

The staff took Calvin's call very shortly after Calvin ditched us. Riley personally called his mother to see what they could have done better. They aren't interested in throwing Calvin out the window.

Definitely have to agree that Calvin is a high priority recruit for this staff. I don't think Riley would have contacted his mom if he wasn't. Also, following recruiting this past year, it seems like Johnson Jr., McQuitty, Lewis, Lindsey, and Calvin were all guys this staff was after early and made lots of contact with. I think the staff really wants him to be a part of this class.

Definitely have to agree that Calvin is a high priority recruit for this staff. I don't think Riley would have contacted his mom if he wasn't. Also, following recruiting this past year, it seems like Johnson Jr., McQuitty, Lewis, Lindsey, and Calvin were all guys this staff was after early and made lots of contact with. I think the staff really wants him to be a part of this class.

Yep, the original 5 they wanted were:
Johnson Jr
McQuitty
Lindsey
Calvin
Lewis

And they could still get all 5!

I am pretty sure defenses get their personnel from who is in the huddle. So having a WR line up at FB wouldn't change the personnel on the field or necessarily create a mismatch.

Ok, I think it didn't come across how I was thinking in my head.

I guess it would be similar to having Rex and Ameer in the backfield at the same time, but replacing Rex or Ameer with a speedy WR.

Not necessarily the I formation, but even two backs behind the QB that are side by side. If you have 3 WRs lined up (2 on left, 1 on right) with 2 RBs (one being a speedy RB or WR) (so no TE), the defense sets up based on the alignment in my head. Then when you motion the speedy RB or WR out of the backfield to the left or right, you can determine who will be covering that player in motion.

I will admit that I don't know the intricacies of football to argue that the defense would switch from a base D to a nickel or dime because they saw who trotted out into the huddle. If you sub in the extra WR for the FB or TE/HB, does the defense instantly notice that and change personnel so they can get into a nickel or dime defense?

I guess my thinking was that you could easily get the WR into a situation where he is covered by a linebacker/safety.

Maybe I am totally wrong and shouldn't have commented in the first place :)

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Ok, I think it didn't come across how I was thinking in my head.

I guess it would be similar to having Rex and Ameer in the backfield at the same time, but replacing Rex or Ameer with a speedy WR.

Not necessarily the I formation, but even two backs behind the QB that are side by side. If you have 3 WRs lined up (2 on left, 1 on right) with 2 RBs (one being a speedy RB or WR) (so no TE), the defense sets up based on the alignment in my head. Then when you motion the speedy RB or WR out of the backfield to the left or right, you can determine who will be covering that player in motion.

I will admit that I don't know the intricacies of football to argue that the defense would switch from a base D to a nickel or dime because they saw who trotted out into the huddle. If you sub in the extra WR for the FB or TE/HB, does the defense instantly notice that and change personnel so they can get into a nickel or dime defense?

I guess my thinking was that you could easily get the WR into a situation where he is covered by a linebacker/safety.

That makes a lot more sense. Using your speedy skill players in multiple ways in multiple formations is always a good idea in my book....

Maybe I am totally wrong and shouldn't have commented in the first place :)

Yep, the original 5 they wanted were:
Johnson Jr
McQuitty
Lindsey
Calvin
Lewis

And they could still get all 5!

Stop getting my hopes up for Lewis :p

Everyone knows the crystal balls are always correct and that he is going to USC :D

Would be quite the WR haul if we can land him or Lewis(or both). If he picks a school not names Oregon State does he have to repay the Beaver "handlers?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT