ADVERTISEMENT

Jamire Calvin picks Beavers

What I meant was, stay in the Pac 12 but do not go to USC or UCLA or Washington or Standford... go somewhere in the Pac12 where you can play quickly.

Based on all available evidence I think something happened. As I said, it not an excuse for the endgame. But it's not yet signing day and we have been recruiting other WRs for awhile. This miss sucks but I'm going to wail signing day until I evaluate the WR class. Two good ones on campus, need at least two more.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I bet Riley and staff get one more crack at an in home visit. It sounds like we need to convince mom. OSU is not the best decision for the young man and I hope he sits back and realizes that.

GBR

Offer a hypothesis.

He picked the worst hat on the table no matter what metric you choose. This after stating that said school was eliminated after their WR coach left to go to SJSU. Then he's crying after his announcement. Something clearly happened here. Money. Overruled by parents. Something. That's all I'm saying. It's not an excuse for the final class for the Huskers but some shit went down here.
Saw the replay. He was smiling pretty big when he put the hat on. I dunno? Whats this kid normally like? You could be right it just seemed like a range of emotions.

Based on all available evidence I think something happened. As I said, it not an excuse for the endgame. But it's not yet signing day and we have been recruiting other WRs for awhile. This miss sucks but I'm going to wail signing day until I evaluate the WR class. Two good ones on campus, need at least two more.
Yep, it ain't over yet which is why I am not joining in on the pity party today! It is still a good day!
And I agree we could use two more solid receivers.
What was Westerkamp coming out of high school? 3 star right? Reilly? 3 star.

Back to the drawing board. Less than a month to put the finishing touches on this class.

Yep, it ain't over yet which is why I am not joining in on the pity party today! It is still a good day!
And I agree we could use two more solid receivers.
What was Westerkamp coming out of high school? 3 star right? Reilly? 3 star.
I really don't think Calvin will be a difference maker that would warrant losing any sleep over. Sarrell was the only undecided guy on our board that I thought could make an immediate difference for us and I knew he was a long shot. All of em can help and that's why you recruit them but what we're lacking is just a couple of difference makers and you don't really know about them until you see them on Saturdays.

Maybe the building blocks of our current commits will show young players what N and MR offense could be in the future. As of right now we don't have much to sale.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I really don't think Calvin will be a difference maker that would warrant losing any sleep over. Sarrell was the only undecided guy on our board that I thought could make an immediate difference for us and I knew he was a long shot. All of em can help and that's why you recruit them but what we're lacking is just a couple of difference makers and you don't really know about them until you see them on Saturdays.
This, probably

I get that Osu is in the PAC 12 but it is not remotely "close to home." It's like 900 miles. You're getting on a flight to go there or Lincoln.

I get that Osu is in the PAC 12 but it is not remotely "close to home." It's like 900 miles. You're getting on a flight to go there or Lincoln.
It also means however that you're going to be playing games in California that aren't too far from home. Just like guys from Texas that used to come to Nebraska when we were in the Big 12. Sure it was far from home, but you knew you were going to be playing games nearby.

I bet Riley and staff get one more crack at an in home visit. It sounds like we need to convince mom. OSU is not the best decision for the young man and I hope he sits back and realizes that.

GBR

When does anyone but the player and his family get to decide what is best?

What no one on here has yet to mention is the big picture that he stated at the beginning of his recruiting process is he wants to play with his best friend who has been a OSU commit for most the year as well as another of his teammates so two kids he goes to high school with who are very good friends that he wanted to play with both have been on him to choose OSU as well

What no one on here has yet to mention is the big picture that he stated at the beginning of his recruiting process is he wants to play with his best friend who has been a OSU commit for most the year as well as another of his teammates so two kids he goes to high school with who are very good friends that he wanted to play with both have been on him to choose OSU as well
Finally something that makes sense.

Right now I would put more emphasis on ol or DL.
I would put an emphasis on getting the best player available at every position possible because the closer we get to Signing Day, the more this is starting to look like a Pelini type class.

But why bust your butt going to recruiting camps all summer to raise your stock if you truly intended to go to where your buddies were going... at a lesser school. Seems like a lot of wasted effort on his part. However, its okay... we want people that aspire to win championships. Recruits that choose Oregon State over the likes of Nebraska and Notre Dame clearly do not aspire to win or contribute to a championship effort.

Wow! What a bunch of entitled, delusional, sniveling little turds on this message board (not all of you).

1. "A lesser school?" I take exception to that. I have 2 degrees from OSU and a MS from University of Washington and I have a great deal of pride in my education. I don't feel that OSU takes a back seat to ANY (non Ivy League, public) university in this country, academically, certainly not NU.

2. Corvallis is a "$hithole." Ever been there? I have never been to Lincoln but I can't imagine it being even half the town Corvallis is. Corvallis is a pure college town that is close to the mountains and the beach. It has great breweries, a quaint downtown area and the campus is a tight community. Don't be ignorant.

3. OSU paid him? That is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Our Athletic Department doesn't have that kind of budget. Calvin is coming here because we are on the rise and two of his buddies are coming here, including his best friend. If you could look past your deluded NU bubble you'd have known that about him.

4. Mike Riley is our sloppy seconds. Banker will never have a good defense. Riley watches the game on Saturday, rather than coaching it. Enjoy losing games in inexplicable fashion like you did last year to Illinois and BYU and some others. Remember that 3rd & 8 pass when you had the lead on the plus side of the field? Hahahaha....more to come. He sucks. I was SO glad to not have him on the sideline during the Civil War against Oregon. We were down 10 and proceeded to go on a 20-0 run based off TWENTY ONE CONSECUTIVE rushing plays. Riley would've $hit the bed and lost to the ducks for the 10th straight time.

5. OSU would beat NU if they played in 2017 or 2018.

So get used to sucking, and do a gut-check on who you are and what NU Football is nowadays. We didn't pay any recruits, and he wasn't sad to say "OSU" or coerced. He made an emotional decision based on what his heart told him. Deal with it.

Last edited:
Oregon state under Gary Anderson in my opinion will be a lot more successful then it ever was under Riley. Riley and company are very good guys and I've known most of the staff for over 10 years however Anderson left Wisconsin because he believed he can take 100% control over everything football instead of having a AD have say in what he does and doesn't do(Wisconsin) Coach Anderson has a heck of a recruiting background and gets recruits to believe in his vision and as a example become a team like Colorado while Riley try's to sell the family atmosphere. A lot of high talented kids who in years passed OSU would have never looked at when Riley was there Anderson believes he can get by selling things as "best college town in the PAC 12" and new facilities which is appealing to 18 years olds. I'm not saying Oregon state is the next UW or anything but obviously Nebraska needs to figure out a way to close on some of the recruiting battles there in. OSU has now beat them out twice this year on Hodgins and Calvin which is unheard of for Nebraska football and I think the weird thing is nobody is even mentioning not only did Nebraska get beat out by OSU so did bama

Wow! What a bunch of entitled, delusional, sniveling little turds on this message board (not all of you).

1. "A lesser school?" I take exception to that. I have 2 degrees from OSU and a MS from University of Washington and I have a great deal of pride in my education. I don't feel that OSU takes a back seat to ANY (non Ivy League, public) university in this country, academically, certainly not NU.

2. Corvallis is a "$hithole." Ever been there? I have never been to Lincoln but I can't imagine it being even half the town Corvallis is. Corvallis is a pure college town that is close to the mountains and the beach. It has great breweries, a quaint downtown area and the campus is a tight community. Don't be ignorant.

3. OSU paid him? That is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Our Athletic Department doesn't have that kind of budget. Calvin is coming here because we are on the rise and two of his buddies are coming here, including his best friend. If you could look past your deluded NU bubble you'd have known that about him.

4. Mike Riley is our sloppy seconds. Banker will never have a good defense. Riley watches the game on Saturday, rather than coaching it. Enjoy losing games in inexplicable fashion like you did last year to Illinois and BYU and some others. Remember that 3rd & 8 pass when you had the lead on the plus side of the field. Hahahaha....more to come. He sucks. I was SO glad to not have him on the sideline during the Civil War against Oregon. We were down 10 and proceeded to go on a 20-0 run based off TWENTY ONE CONSECUTIVE rushing plays. Riley would've $hit the bed and lost to the ducks for the 10th straight time.

So get used to sucking, and do a gut-check on who you are and what NU Football is nowadays. We didn't pay any recruits, and he wasn't sad to say "OSU" or coerced. He made an emotional decision based on what his heart told him. Deal with it.
You're still 6-18 over the last two years. Don't get too big of a head there.

Oregon state under Gary Anderson in my opinion will be a lot more successful then it ever was under Riley. Riley and company are very good guys and I've known most of the staff for over 10 years however Anderson left Wisconsin because he believed he can take 100% control over everything football instead of having a AD have say in what he does and doesn't do(Wisconsin) Coach Anderson has a heck of a recruiting background and gets recruits to believe in his vision and as a example become a team like Colorado while Riley try's to sell the family atmosphere. A lot of high talented kids who in years passed OSU would have never looked at when Riley was there Anderson believes he can get by selling things as "best college town in the PAC 12" and new facilities which is appealing to 18 years olds. I'm not saying Oregon state is the next UW or anything but obviously Nebraska needs to figure out a way to close on some of the recruiting battles there in. OSU has now beat them out twice this year on Hodgins and Calvin which is unheard of for Nebraska football and I think the weird thing is nobody is even mentioning not only did Nebraska get beat out by OSU so did bama
Really-OSU beating out Nebraska for recruits is unheard of? Do you remember David Ross, Lyle Moevao and Simi Kuli? Who was the coach again that beat Nebraska out for them?

Yeah it's called a "rebuild." My head is not big. I expect to eek out 6-7 wins next season, and then contend in 2018 or 2019. Gary Andersen is a builder, that's the main reason he wanted to come to OSU. The atmosphere and the chance to build something. That is what he sells to recruits and he does it right. He doesn't apologize for Corvallis, he sells its merits, and they are many.

I have no qualms with NU. One of my best friends is a die hard Huskers fan, and they beat the ducks this year, so I like them.

...but don't be A-holes. We got a kid. Be cool about it.

And Nebraska isn't?

Pretty sure it was sarcasm. I've been to Corvallis and thought it was a nice little town. Probably a good place to raise a family or retire. Much more scenic than Lincoln, that's for sure.

But compared to the other locations in your conference, it is near the bottom. LA, the Bay Area, Seattle, Boulder, Arizona, Eugene, are all much more attractive places for an 18 year old kid. Corvallis is pretty much Ames, Iowa with mountains.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Yeah it's called a "rebuild." My head is not big. I expect to eek out 6-7 wins next season, and then contend in 2018 or 2019. Gary Andersen is a builder, that's the main reason he wanted to come to OSU. The atmosphere and the chance to build something. That is what he sells to recruits and he does it right. He doesn't apologize for Corvallis, he sells its merits, and they are many.

I have no qualms with NU. One of my best friends is a die hard Huskers fan, and they beat the ducks this year, so I like them.

...but don't be A-holes. We got a kid. Be cool about it.
The only person I see being an A-hole here is you. Keep in mind-this is a Nebraska board. You came to our board and are bashing our coaches, our program, our fans and even threw in a dig at our town too for good measure. Yeah, you don't have a big head or anything and have no hatred for us. I guess that must be how Oregon State fans act towards everybody else.

Last edited:

4. Mike Riley is our sloppy seconds. Banker will never have a good defense. Riley watches the game on Saturday, rather than coaching it. Enjoy losing games in inexplicable fashion like you did last year to Illinois and BYU and some others. Remember that 3rd & 8 pass when you had the lead on the plus side of the field? Hahahaha....more to come. He sucks. I was SO glad to not have him on the sideline during the Civil War against Oregon. We were down 10 and proceeded to go on a 20-0 run based off TWENTY ONE CONSECUTIVE rushing plays. Riley would've $hit the bed and lost to the ducks for the 10th straight time.

I've been to Corvallis! For those who haven't been there it's like Ames, Iowa or Manhattan, Kansas. Draw your own conclusions from that...

Reactions: huskersoup

Not a good idea to come over here and start calling a bunch of people turds

Yikes, he didn't seem happy to announce it.

I have "the Score" app on my iphone and ipad. I am always receiving little notices from the "the Score" in regards to recruiting; so and so commits to Ohio State, top safety commits to Alabama, running back to Georgia, all star receiver to USC. Why don't I ever get a message stating a great player is going to Nebraska?

I called some of you turds...like the ones accusing our Athletic Department of corruption.

Eugene is NOT a better town that Corvallis. It's larger but it's a cess pool and it's only 40 miles away. The other towns you've listed are not "better" they are different. LA and Seattle are big cities. Corvallis is a college town. The bay area is densely populated. Those are not good comparisons.

Also, yes I came on this board, and poked at your coaches, program and town AFTER you guys made disparaging comments. If you want to call me a "dickhead" or whatever based on that, okay, I am a big boy, I can handle it.

Reactions: Hailtheflattail
Nebraska shouldn't even have to sell recruits on anything other then bringing them to a game and witnessing the atmosphere and facilities in person. Mike Riley is a great guy and has been around for a long time. Yes he coached at OSU but he's now with Nebraska nobody can compare the two. They do things completely different from coaching to philosophy they play. The kid made his decision from friendship kind of like bros before hoes. In this case Calvin is the amazing talent who had a lot more interest but decided to go where his buddy is going and who knows maybe that could change. I believe he's still taking in home visits and OV to places and all colleges are in play from a article by Rivals so it's not done yet. The Corvallis to Lincoln and Riley being a past coach at OSU has nothing to do with it like almost 3 years ago now so I think it's time for comparisons to stop and see that the kid made a emotional decision that he wanted to play college ball with his buddy and who knows what could happen in the next week or two. Hell maybe even a couple years kids always tend to transfer now days

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT