ADVERTISEMENT

Ivy League first domino to fall

Creighton had a football team back in the day. Similar amount of interest to the ivy league I suspect

Reactions: JoelBittner
Will be interesting to see the official statement.

If there are statements to the effect about safety of the kids, fans, professors and other campus personnel - now you’ve got a conference - the Ivy League no less - saying they don’t think it is safe. Now the power 5 schools may differ but they had better be correct in their assessment.

hopefully the language will be tempered with statements like an “over abundance of caution” and logistically too difficult.

but if they come out hard and say it isn’t safe - that is a line in the sand that the power 5 schools will need to cross if they dare

If there are statements to the effect about safety of the kids, fans, professors and other campus personnel - now you’ve got a conference - the Ivy League no less - saying they don’t think it is safe. Now the power 5 schools may differ but they had better be correct in their assessment.

hopefully the language will be tempered with statements like an “over abundance of caution” and logistically too difficult.

but if they come out hard and say it isn’t safe - that is a line in the sand that the power 5 schools will need to cross if they dare

The statement I read is that they’re canceling all fall sports until
afterl January 1st..

Reactions: rrthusker

NYT article doesn't link to an official post, nor does it quote any of the presidents.

feel bad for the kids, but understand the decision. if I could mail in an entire year and still charge full freight, I'd do it, too.

afterl January 1st..

yes - they have reported the decision - no fall sports - but I haven’t seen the official statement that might detail why they came to this decision. If they come out hard and say it isn’t safe that puts a lot of other schools in a tough spot.

Canceling makes sense, because if they do that, all the student athletes across the country will just sit in their rooms and avoid making contact with anyone else. Sure.

Reactions: bluenrg
I do fear that we are not going to see a football season. Although if the logic is to "keep everyone safer" Then at that point all universities need to shut down all in person classes and everything should be online, because that is just as dangerous as having football.

Canceling makes sense, because if they do that, all the student athletes across the country will just sit in their rooms and avoid making contact with anyone else. Sure.

exactly which is why some schools are cancelling sports rather than give it a go with the expectation that student athletes act responsibly. What they do on their own time doesn’t potentially impact the school

I do fear that we are not going to see a football season. Although if the logic is to "keep everyone safer" Then at that point all universities need to shut down all in person classes and everything should be online, because that is just as dangerous as having football.

the ivies have done this - all online with greatly reduced on campus student presence

I think they have come up with a 1 credit international class that will be in person so international students can stay

yes - they have reported the decision - no fall sports - but I haven’t seen the official statement that might detail why they came to this decision. If they come out hard and say it isn’t safe that puts a lot of other schools in a tough spot.
...because officials in football states have always universally been lauded for following in the footsteps of Ivy League thought leaders

exactly which is why some schools are cancelling sports rather than give it a go with the expectation that student athletes act responsibly. What they do on their own time doesn’t potentially impact the school
Bingo. My taking out the high dive at my pool doesn't stop your kid from jumping off the roof, but it does stop me from getting sued for it.

This post and your ‘hardline against a season due to safety’ seem to be at odds.

If they’re more scared of litigation than putting students at risk, of course they’re not going to say that in an official statement. How will anyone parse the BS?

I suppose that also applies to anyone reading this board, too.

Reactions: scarletred
This post and your ‘hardline against a season due to safety’ seem to be at odds.

If they’re more scared of litigation than putting students at risk, of course they’re not going to say that in an official statement. How will anyone parse the BS?

I suppose that also applies to anyone reading this board, too.

sorry - not sure what you are asking

afterl January 1st..

sorry - not trying to be difficult but when you say you read the statement are you referring to the article that communicates the decision about no fall sports until Jan1 or have you seen the official statement from the Ivies. The one that will be sent to the student athletes, coaches, faculty etc that explains their reasoning behind the decision.

I expect their will be a formal letter sent out to those impacted with some explanation - I am not in any way doubting what the decision is (no fall sports until Jan) - I am more interested in what led them to make the decision

sorry - not trying to be difficult but when you say you read the statement are you referring to the article that communicates the decision about no fall sports until Jan1 or have you seen the official statement from the Ivies. The one that will be sent to the student athletes, coaches, faculty etc that explains their reasoning behind the decision.

I expect their will be a formal letter sent out to those impacted
Here's what their league website said:

"With the safety and well-being of students as their highest priority, Ivy League institutions are implementing campus-wide policies including restrictions on student and staff travel, requirements for social distancing, limits on group gatherings, and regulations for visitors to campus. As athletics is expected to operate consistent with campus policies, it will not be possible for Ivy League teams to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition prior to the end of the fall semester."

https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/7/8...cs-plans-no-competition-in-fall-semester.aspx

They tend to have rosters of athletes from around the country....possibly more so than any other conference.

Last edited:
to be expected, and literally zero bearing on actual P5 season

Honestly, Harvard and Yale are pretty much the only Ivy teams that seem to care about sports. Those other Ivy league schools are probably like "Hmmmm...is this our shot to dump all sports, finally"

thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------

“As a leadership group, we have a responsibility to make decisions that are in the best interest of the students who attend our institutions, as well as the faculty and staff who work at our schools. These decisions are extremely difficult, particularly when they impact meaningful student-athlete experiences that so many value and cherish.

With the information available to us today regarding the continued spread of the virus, we simply do not believe we can create and maintain an environment for intercollegiate athletic competition that meets our requirements for safety and acceptable levels of risk, consistent with the policies that each of our schools is adopting as part of its reopening plans this fall.

We are entrusted to create and maintain an educational environment that is guided by health and safety considerations. There can be no greater responsibility — and that is the basis for this difficult decision.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

basically the power 5 schools are going to have to effectively say ... we appreciate the opinion of the world's elite academic and medical institutions regarding the safety of having fall sports but we have conducted our own review and .........

ROLL TIDE!

Last edited:
MIT - John Hopkins - Case Western all no go for fall sports.
Johns* Hopkins

would hate to see simple grammatical errors spoil your otherwise crystal clean reputation on this board. you're welcome.

GBR! but, only if it's safe.

Reactions: jlb321
basically the power 5 schools are going to have to effectively say ... we appreciate the opinion of the world's elite academic and medical institutions regarding the safety of having fall sports but we have conducted our own review and .........

ROLL TIDE!
"but, that would never happen!"

*takes literally one look around*

*buries head in own asshole*

per unnamed P5 conference head: "while we respect the decisions of the ivy league, we will draw our own conclusions."

no sh*t.

Reactions: otismotis08
Source: “Doubt Ivies have much influence (w/FBS schools). They aren’t as vulnerable financially."

yea, no sh*t

Ivy League has no schollies to honor and drains the money from the schools. Mid majors will be next snd some FCS. Power 5 can not afford the revenue loss. It may bankrupt some to alot of athletic depts to loose the football and last years March Madness monies.
Kind of a unique situation we have....the big-time schools of college athletics are the ones likely to face ruin if there's no season.

I wonder A) if other conferences decide to play if Ivy players wanting to transfer can move right over without having to sit out? and B) if so, whether there are any players worth going after?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT