ADVERTISEMENT

NFL set to become flag football league?

NFL just wants offense and as many points scores as possible. Becoming impossible to play defense
I get it. The game evolves, and one side gets an advantage of the other. It’s a violent game and injuries are part of it. I think they want to see fewer guys out for the season and have their careers shortened by plays that are dangerous yet highly effective. The NFL is going to protect the bag.

Reactions: jteten
I think they want defensive players to just bump offensive players real hard to knock them off their feet. How can you be an instinctive player if you have to think about technique as you make a tackle?

Reactions: V-Doub
200w.gif

This is one rule I am in favor of. If you watched a lot of football over the last few years, you noticed this technique was being widely used. It also was the culprit behind loads of injuries that could have been avoided.

This is one rule I am in favor of. If you watched a lot of football over the last few years, you noticed this technique was being widely used. It also was the culprit behind loads of injuries that could have been avoided.
people get hurt in a sport where the most elite athletes in the world are making contact at full speed?

quite the revelation.

you have to declare your intentions to onside & then it's a traditional formation

must onside if you declare or it's a penalty
There's goes the element of surprise. Though there are hardly any surprise onside attempts. MAYBE 1 every 3 years?

It's the rolling up on legs specifically that's the problem and is what leads to a lot of injuries. And defenders in the NFL are good enough they know exactly what they're doing when they make those sorts of tackles. If they focus on that aspect, then I think it's a good rule change. Just like most rule changes would be to prevent injuries to multi-million dollar athletes. This sort of rule doesn't belong in college, but in the NFL, yeah I can see it as necessary.

Reactions: HuskerO
It still won’t help iowas offense bro

It's the rolling up on legs specifically that's the problem and is what leads to a lot of injuries. And defenders in the NFL are good enough they know exactly what they're doing when they make those sorts of tackles. If they focus on that aspect, then I think it's a good rule change. Just like most rule changes would be to prevent injuries to multi-million dollar athletes. This sort of rule doesn't belong in college, but in the NFL, yeah I can see it as necessary.
I'm usually one of the most outspoken critics against the pussification of football, but banning something that leads to a 20x higher injury rate seems perfectly reasonable to me. And like another poster has mentioned, I've also seen the type of tackle happen more and more lately in the NFL. It's dangerous and doesn't belong in the game.

It would be nice if they ever just sent the common sense message:

Hey, if you don't want to get hurt, you can always slide or run out of bounds.

It would be nice if they ever just sent the common sense message:

Hey, if you don't want to get hurt, you can always slide or run out of bounds.
Or better:

Day 1 of camp everyone signs a waiver stating they are agreeing to play football and understand the risks inherent to participating in a violent sport up to and including death.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT