ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Simmons and Clemson

The other day, he visited Clemson and came out saying something like position was "no preference".

I thought he wanted to be a wr though?
I still think he wants to play close to home.
But I did see his brother retweet a tweet about how good academics at um and Clemson are.
Most kids say academics are important but then don't pick that way.
They usually pick for the coaches

Well that would truly suck, not getting Fitzpatrick and then not getting Simmons, man I hope we at least get Lamar Jackson or we could really strike out bad on our final top recruits.

no. had nothing to do with each other. michigan lost an ol to stanford. this would replace him. michigan will take 30 recruits.
But you said before you already had receiver slots full. Weird.

If we go 1-3 it just tells me we need to get better on the field and in the field of recruiting.. N has become Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota in the minds of kids nowadays. Losing out to basketball schools and big name FB coming in at the last moment holding more weight when we've been putting in the most work isn't good.

This sucks big time. I wasn't too bummed about Fitz because I figured Simmons would fill the slot of a big WR and I believed Simmons had the best upside. I hope the rumors are wrong, or maybe he'll get back and his family will change his mind.

But you said before you already had receiver slots full. Weird.
what is weird is you cant remember that i said if simmons came to michigan it would be at saftey. strange.
this is what is said

no that not planned the ol was committed to michigan and that was not planned. the other was a wr recruit and that was no big deal since michigan has 5 wr commits. it happens elliot the dt who was committed to michigan who is going to most likely sign with texas was not planned

yes 5 wr Dylan Crawford,Brad Hawkins Jr., Nate Johnson, Eddie McDoom, Ahmir Mitchell. if simmons goes to michigan it will be ss or fs not wr.

Last edited:
IMO, this one hurts more than Fitz. We've put in a sh1t ton of time and resources with Isaiah, damn.

Yah. Very disappointing.

What little he seemed to comment on, didn't really indicate he was overly wowed with Clemson either.

Everything on Twitter points to him committing to Clemson tonight.

1337875924487_9801820.png

clemson and michigan have skyrocketed in popularity and have great academic programs to back up football message.
its a new order again
What about all the shady business that kept other schools from looking at him? Did we not pay him enough?

clemson and michigan have skyrocketed in popularity and have great academic programs to back up football message.
its a new order again

I like Clemson but I wouldn't call them a great academic program.... for college football and/or athletics. As of March 2012:

Academic All-Americans

1. Nebraska-294
18. Michigan-108
Not in the top 20. Clemson

Football Academic All-Americans

1. Nebraska-102
11. Michigan-35

Most Consecutive Years of at Least One Academic All-American

1. Nebraska-41
Not worth mentioning. Michigan & Clemson

Most Academic All-American Selections Since 2000

1. Nebraska-107
Not in the top 20. Michigan & Clemson

Last edited:
Reactions: harperblink808
I like Clemson but I wouldn't call them a great academic program.... for college football and/or athletics. As of March 2012:

Academic All-Americans

1. Nebraska-294
18. Michigan-108

1. Nebraska-102
11. Michigan-35

1. Nebraska-41

1. Nebraska-107

That argument isn't Academic All Americans, its academic rigor.

Quite namely, earning Academic All American status at the ~100th ranked university in UNL, would be seen by say a UVA grad (the #1 public university routinely) as something akin to handing out academic accolades to kids coming out of a JUCO.

I have no idea where Clemson is ranked academically.

Quite namely, earning Academic All American status at the ~100th ranked university in UNL, would be seen by say a UVA grad (the #1 public university routinely) as something akin to handing out academic accolades to kids coming out of a JUCO.

The counter argument would be, how many football players really take advantage of their academic situation.

No, just no. I can say with confidence that attaining a bachelor's degree from Michigan/Virginia is no more difficult than attaining one at UNL. I've gone to both type of schools... you assume that just because it is more difficult to get into school X that the content they teach is more rigorous, challenging or different than lesser school Y. It is not. Schools gain their reputation on the backs of their graduate programs and the research within, undergrad education is common fare and pretty consistent from school to school.

No, just no. I can say with confidence that attaining a bachelor's degree from Michigan/Virginia is no more difficult than attaining one at UNL. I've gone to both type of schools... you assume that just because it is more difficult to get into school X that the content they teach is more rigorous, challenging or different than lesser school Y. It is not. Schools gain their reputation on the backs of their graduate programs and the research within, undergrad education is common fare and pretty consistent from school to school.

im not assuming anything. im just stating what others have said of our academic advantage

Let's be honest there's the academic rigor that college students have to go thru, then there's the rigors that a major college athlete has to deal with. You will notice that a lot of football players have the same major and this is done for a reason I believe.

You are both right. You cannot make judgments about the difficulty of getting a degree at school X until you've actually gone there and tried. Some school may have a great reputation, as Michigan and Virginia do, and be near the top as far as being public research institutions. But that doesn't necessarily translate to rigorous demands at the undergrad level for various reasons (sometimes professors are pushovers, sometimes departments don't set rigorous standards, sometimes TAs are pushovers in grading).

That said, and I am speaking as a grad student and TA, what tends to happen is those top tier schools attract top tier grad students and professors with high standards. These professors tend to require course material that is difficult, the department tends to require challenging material, and the TAs tend (along with their professors) to have rigorous standards. That said, it may be that you will have needed to score a 30+ on your ACT to do well in Michigan's school of biology, but anyone who got above a 23 will do well in their sociology department (assuming, that is, that standardized tests are an accurate barometer of intelligence, knowledge, and work ethic).

When I hear "academics are important" what is a recruit saying?
- I want to graduate. I want to be an academic all American and have a high gpa. Because it's easier to do that at a school where the academics are easier.
- I want to go to the school that has the highest ranked program for what I want to major in. I want to go to a school that is nationally known as an elite school (I.e. Stanford, Northwestern, Yale, etc)

Because I hear some of both from kids. And some kids just wanna go to the school that will be in the biggest national spotlight with the most tv hype and most guys going to the NFL.

Academic All-Americans

1. Nebraska-294
18. Michigan-108

1. Nebraska-102
11. Michigan-35

1. Nebraska-41

1. Nebraska-107
Academic all americans has nothing to do with academic ranking.
It is not a measure of academic ranking
It is simply a football player getting good grades
That does not mean the school has academic quality
That is something neb likes to crow about because it sounds good but isnt really the information that recruits are looking for.
It sure sounds good tho.
In reality u can have a really shitty academic ranking it wont stop u from having lots of academic all americans on ur football team
Clemson is ranked in top15
Neb is in the 50s i believe

Reactions: IMBlessed
Academic all americans has nothing to do with academic ranking.
It is not a measure of academic ranking
It is simply a football player getting good grades
That does not mean the school has academic quality
That is something neb likes to crow about because it sounds good but isnt really the information that recruits are looking for.
It sure sounds good tho.
In reality u can have a really shitty academic ranking it wont stop u from having lots of academic all americans on ur football team
Clemson is ranked in top15
Neb is in the 50s i believe

Dude
You really need to work on formatting
It's extremely annoying.

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
Nebraska's academic support system for student-athletes is second to none.

Sure, if your goal is to become an engineer or doctor, there are probably better schools out there. But most football players just want to get a degree, and our academic staff goes above and beyond to give them everything they need to stay on course and graduate. And really, for most careers, after you get your first job your school and GPA are pretty insignificant. There are millions of successful people who were average students and went to average schools.

Academic All-Americans

1. Nebraska-294
18. Michigan-108

1. Nebraska-102
11. Michigan-35

1. Nebraska-41

1. Nebraska-107
The higher the academic rating the lower the number of academic all Americans the reverse of what you are trying to prove

The higher the academic rating the lower the number of academic all Americans the reverse of what you are trying to prove
Check the rankings of Academic All Americans dude. 1) UNL 2) Notre Dame 3) MIT 4) Stanford 5) Penn State. Not exactly weak academic institutions

Reactions: leodisflowers
While in the Navy, took classes at Clemson for a year, an attempt get part of my degree finished. I got more of an education from my Naval Computer Science classes than any classes Clemson had to offer. It was extremely difficult to get any assistance from the Professors, unless, of course, one came to class in a Vneck & short skirt. The one women professor I had was so annoying, I almost dropped the required class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT