ADVERTISEMENT

Is this guy one of the reasons Iowa physically dominated us?

Possibly. There were a lot of factors that went into that loss and you can't say that changing any single one of them totally alters the outcome of the game. Fact is that's a 4-loss Iowa team, so let's not act like NU needs to do everything like Iowa does it because they failed to show up between the ear holes for one game.

It's not the strength coach's job to teach backside defenders to stay home.

James Dobson -(strength coach under Pelini), I believe came directly from Iowa after working under Doyle

If you spent any amount of time on the Hawk board, Doyle comes under fire a lot for the world having passed him by as well, and especially since the rhabdo incident.

It would be kind of funny if Husker fans want to build him up into this super awesome strength coach because we lost a game in ugly fashion. S&C is a strength of our program. A buddy of mine has hinted that Orgeron came sniffing around Phillip after named LSU coach. We'll see if that has any legs.

Actually, most Iowa fans believe Doyle is the reason Iowa's 2 and 3 star recruits can even halfway hold their own on the field with Michigan or Ohio State (not win, but compete). Most Iowa fans would like to brush rhabdo under the rug and act like it never happened. It's the one blemish on Doyle's record.

Actually, most Iowa fans believe Doyle is the reason Iowa's 2 and 3 star recruits can even halfway hold their own on the field with Michigan or Ohio State (not win, but compete). Most Iowa fans would like to brush rhabdo under the rug and act like it never happened. It's the one blemish on Doyle's record.

There's been significant discontent in the past, and usually the more reasonable fans tell them to wake up.

I don't think he's a bad coach at all, I'm just saying, the outcry against their staff is rather great at times (rational or not), and we want to hold up parts of them as immovable mountains.

Most of the criticism I see from the Iowa fan base is the fact that he's good at building beef, and less good at building team speed and overall athleticism. They have the same attitude about those attributes as the Huskers have with physicality in our program.

I dunno but no doubt NDST was the more physical team in that game with Iowa. Must be a pretty good S&C program.

Reactions: TheBeav815
If LSU steals our guy - Kramer might be a good place to start looking.

Some games leave you scratching your head. Wisconsin, Nebraska stood toe to toe and was every bit as physical. And I thought Minnesota was pretty physical, not quite Wisconsin, but pretty stout, and Nebraska won that battle.

Then you have Ohio State and Iowa, turned out much, much different with those two. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed with more depth and better players going forward. We'll see.

Some games leave you scratching your head. Wisconsin, Nebraska stood toe to toe and was every bit as physical. And I thought Minnesota was pretty physical, not quite Wisconsin, but pretty stout, and Nebraska won that battle.

Then you have Ohio State and Iowa, turned out much, much different with those two. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed with more depth and better players going forward. We'll see.
I think the lack strength in those games was between the ears. ST errors put us in bad shape. Then the rest just tried to over compensate. Like rolling a boulder down a hill. Need to be tough minded to be physical. Not sure whose responsible for that.

Losing to Iowa was about discipline and want too, nothing more. The fact that we dominated in the fourth quarter in most of our games shows there's nothing wrong with our S&C. We were lazy on Defense that day, and got whooped. They capitalized not once but twice on the same play. That is all about being disciplined.

Iowa didn't win because of physical play, they won the game on a handful of explosive playes. They managed a whopping 13 first downs the entire game (3 for 13 on 3rd down),but killed Nebraska with huge plays.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Coach Doyle is considered one of if not the top strength and conditioning coach in the country. Iowa is known for physically punishing teams.

You assume Banker was dumbfounded, instead of [assuming] he was sending a message to his defense. The glass is never as half empty as you assume it is.
At OSU they got their doors blow off by a team with as much talent on their 3rd string as NU has in its starting 22. Maybe more. They had a puncher's chance with Tommy in. Once he got KO'd it was over. It could have been worse than it was, too, if JT were a more accurate deep ball thrower.

At Iowa they looked like a team that didn't expect to win. Like a bunch of guys who knew their top 2 QBs shouldn't be on the field and their 3rd had been playing WR all year. On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't really been banging much 1s v 1s in practice due to the rash of OL injuries they were trying to get over.

The staff wasn't gonna pull redshirts for that game, they lined up one-legged Tommy back there with some nonsense taped to his leg, and everyone played accordingly. Once you saw that the OL couldn't open holes for Newby and TA couldn't run, you knew it was gonna be a long day.

Defense overpursued like they knew they had to put their Superman capes on if NU was going to win that game. Tried to do too much instead of doing their jobs. They let themselves get rattled like they used to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT