ADVERTISEMENT

Is our growth as a team obvious to everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red rover 70

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2011
The coaching of the players at different positions has been stark imo. And that's a great thing to see. I expect to see us get better as the season continues.

Reactions: huskerj12
Honestly, no. I think we've been the benefactor of a crappy schedule so far and when I watch us play I see a really average team that's average at best, at the most important position. Doesn't mean we can't get there, but I haven't seen the growth you're talking about, yet. Of course after last year I'm thrilled to be 2-0 and favored to beat Oregon, but I admit I have battered fan syndrome so I'm still not convinced about this team, yet. But before anyone thinks a negative thought about this post let me repeat, I'm happy we're 2-0, I think we have a great shot to beat Oregon and roll into Columbus undefeated, but I need to see better play out of the QB spot, and need to see us beat somebody with a pulse before I can get to excited and make the kind of proclamation you just did.

Honestly, no. I think we've been the benefactor of a crappy schedule so far and when I watch us play I see a really average team that's average at best, at the most important position. Doesn't mean we can't get there, but I haven't seen the growth you're talking about, yet. Of course after last year I'm thrilled to be 2-0 and favored to beat Oregon, but I admit I have battered fan syndrome so I'm still not convinced about this team, yet. But before anyone thinks a negative thought about this post let me repeat, I'm happy we're 2-0, I think we have a great shot to beat Oregon and roll into Columbus undefeated, but I need to see better play out of the QB spot, and need to see us beat somebody with a pulse before I can get to excited and make the kind of proclamation you just did.

TA > TM

You're not seeing improvement because you don't want to see improvement. However, we are not world beaters. But if TA plays within the system and throws the damn ball away when his receivers are covered (or tucks and run) then we have a chance at winning those close games based on discipline. Just have to eliminate those stupid unforced penalties.

South Dakota State
523e23237b86e.image.jpg

Most teams have played a crappy schedule. Last year, that crappy Southern Miss team almost won, a crappy Purdue team won, a crappy Illinois team won, so there isn't improvement in closing the crappy teams out?

Yes, the team hasn't proven anything yet, but they have shown things that they never did last year. How many games were finished strong last year? Technically, it only happened late in the year, which is a sign of steady improvement.

We'll know more after Oregon, but it's not the best measuring stick due to them being a completely different style of a team than NU will play all season.

If all you'll look for is Nebraska's next loss, football season cannot be fun.

If I'm not mistaken, the OP asked if I saw the same growth he has, and I said no. I made no predictions about how we'd do going forward, unless you count those negative remarks about having a great chance to beat Oregon and roll into Ohio State undefeated (sarc). You're putting words into my mouth.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I think it has to be obvious. Even when we won last year, we didn't see this kind of swarming defense. That's pure effort and want to right there.

This time last year, we were exchanging GIFs of players standing around during plays and conducting witch hunts of who was N or out vis a vis the new stafff with the guys in the locker room.

Nada of that this year.

Reactions: jeans15
Do you not remember Taylor throwing the ball up in the air everytime he was tackled? Couldn't stand his attitude and inconsistent play! Yes TA>TM.
Or every time he was about to get hit he would stand straight up and get absolutely destroyed.

I especially remember that season he sucked so bad he was being compared to Crouch and being talked about on ESPN as a potential Heisman candidate, and who can forget that one really crappy year he won first team all B1G.

I especially remember that season he sucked so bad he was being compared to Crouch and being talked about on ESPN as a potential Heisman candidate, and who can forget that one really crappy year he won first team all B1G.
I will say Taylor had a super high ceiling on his best days, but lower than the floor on bad days. Also, he was made of glass. You keep him healthy every year, who knows what he does.

With his health, I like tommy as more of a team leader.

If I'm not mistaken, the OP asked if I saw the same growth he has, and I said no. I made no predictions about how we'd do going forward, unless you count those negative remarks about having a great chance to beat Oregon and roll into Ohio State undefeated (sarc). You're putting words into my mouth.
And no, I never put words in your mouth. All you are saying is with no improvement we'll go 7-0? All I was saying is if you see no improvement, obviously you do not see how we are finishing games, and are on an up swing in that area.

Someone looking for a glass half empty will always find it, that simple.

Reactions: HuskerRick
I'm talking more the team as a whole.

I was respectful and honest, and answered a question that was posted, and I stand by everything I said 100%, doesn't mean I'm looking for the next loss, or that I'm not seeing improvement because I don't want to.
I don't always agree with you, but you always make me chuckle..."battered fan syndrome"....I'll be grinning at that all day...

+1

TM was 1st team all conference his junior year while TA, despite starting for 3 straight years (now his 4th), has yet to eek out an honorable mention

It concerns me that though we outscored the opponents 50-0 in the fourth quarter, the previous three quarters were pretty average considering the opposition. Of course, maybe both opponents are greatly improved.

What clearly has regressed is Special Teams, much of that related to the loss of Sam. But unless Special Teams can be fixed, any other improvements on offense and defense may not be enough to matter in close games.

+1 but Tommy was honorable mention his freshmen year.

Thank you for the correction. I was looking at the Big ten coaches and big ten media and must have missed his name or overlooked a different media all conference team

Reactions: GBRhuskers
It concerns me that though we outscored the opponents 50-0 in the fourth quarter, the previous three quarters were pretty average considering the opposition. Of course, maybe both opponents are greatly improved.

What clearly has regressed is Special Teams, much of that related to the loss of Sam. But unless Special Teams can be fixed, any other improvements on offense and defense may not be enough to matter in close games.

Well we are in luck! We just happen to have one fancy, high-dollar, special teams coordinator on our sideline! :)

GBR!

+1

TM was 1st team all conference his junior year while TA, despite starting for 3 straight years (now his 4th), has yet to eek out an honorable mention

McNeese State
31-24 W +7

Wyoming
37-34 W +3

South Dakota State
17-3 W +14

2016 Thanks Spartan! :p
Fresno State
43-10 W +33

Wyoming
52-17 W +35

Now that's improvement and growth.

Last edited:
Thank you for the correction. I was looking at the Big ten coaches and big ten media and must have missed his name or overlooked a different media all conference team

I just happened to be checking out his profile on huskers.com so that's the only reason I knew he made honorable mention. 2013 HM all freshmen team, voted by BTN.

I don't know. Last year was transition and learning curve. We should be off the steep part of the learning curve by now. Most all the skill position players are back, another year older another year better.

Not being snarky, if Mike Riley was hired to make this team better, I don't see it yet. I can't say that we've stepped up a tier. I'm not wanting to sell anyone short, but it's still a bit early for me to be talking progress.

McNeese State
31-24 W +7

Wyoming
37-34 W +3

South Dakota State
17-3 W +14

2016 Thanks Spartan! :p
Fresno State
43-10 W +33

Wyoming
52-17 W +35

Now that's improvement and growth.
Kansas (unranked)
21-20 W +1

Wyoming (unranked)
42-32 W +10

So Miss (unranked)
20-13 W +7

Big time improvement, this year's team would crush those 90's teams.

I don't know. Last year was transition and learning curve. We should be off the steep part of the learning curve by now. Most all the skill position players are back, another year older another year better.

Not being snarky, if Mike Riley was hired to make this team better, I don't see it yet. I can't say that we've stepped up a tier. I'm not wanting to sell anyone short, but it's still a bit early for me to be talking progress.

We're tied with Ohio State for 1st in Turnover Margin. And we're 33rd in Total Defense.That's improvement.

Kansas (unranked)
21-20 W +1

Wyoming (unranked)
42-32 W +10

So Miss (unranked)
20-13 W +7

Big time improvement, this year's team would crush those 90's teams.

Great segway cuz I was coming here next...
In 90 through 92 NOBODY would of thought that we were going to be sitting on top of the college football world in 2 to 3 short years. YET IT HAPPENED.

Nothing I've seen has changed my mind this year. 11-1 is a very attainable goal with a battle for a Playoff spot in the B1G Championship Game.

Yes, I think the team is better. I may be tainted because I am forever optimistic about the Huskers, but I do see a defense that contests passes better than last year. I see a defense that tackles better. I'm not sure if the offense is better or not - time will tell.

But as much as everyone wants to keep pointing to Tommy's interceptions last year as the cause for a losing record, I would tell you that the defense was much more to blame than the turnovers. And that area of improvement is what we needed more than anything. Yes, ideally Tommy and the Husker offense in general needs to reduce turnovers, but the offense put up 33 points per game last year. That's not worthy of 6-7.

So yes, I see a defense that has given up 13.5 points per game and has generated 7 turnovers in 2 games and I think that is definitely improvement over last season.

When Riley lifts that conference trophy some aren't gonna be very happy around here. RollingLaugh

Not true of course-you've never exactly been a Riley fan on here. So of course you won't see progress you don't want to see.

I just happened to be checking out his profile on huskers.com so that's the only reason I knew he made honorable mention. 2013 HM all freshmen team, voted by BTN.

I think we are arguing the same point - semantics

but I think TA made honorable mention all -freshman team but not honorable mention all conference

Taylor in his freshman year won Big12 offensive newcomer of the year and was honorable mention all conference

probably what you meant all along .. again thanks for clarifying

http://btn.com/2013/12/09/view-btn-coms-2013-all-freshman-team/

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...isc_non_event/2013FBAllB1GAndAwardWinners.pdf

Reactions: GBRhuskers
When Riley lifts that conference trophy some aren't gonna be very happy around here. RollingLaugh

I started typing out a smart ass response and then deleted it, and I'll replace it with this. Every person posting in this thread would be thrilled to see us win the B1G, every single one.

Reactions: jlb321
Not the Solichnistas....:)

Sorry...couldn't resist:)

And in FACT, I'm the last one standing who liked Callahan.....:)

Ok, THAT'S got a chance to explode...

It's a multi layered question with multiple answers. I think you need to look a different aspects to get your answer:

1. Roster - Is there more talent? Is there more depth?
2. Development - Are players improving their crafts and playing accordingly to their skill sets.
3. Schematic understanding - Is the staff teaching their system successfully?
4. On field Execution - If the scheme is being taught and learned, how is it helping the roster produce?

RIght now I see significant improvements in 3 of the 4 areas. The execution still has a ways to go. And I'm not talking about Tommy Armstrong. He is what he is. However, stuff like pre snap penalties, confusion along the o-line, communication break on special teams, and overall loss of focus are still issues that must be addressed before this team can take the next step.

If you look at the Fresno State and Wyoming games, both contests illustrate the above 4 factors:

Talent, roster development, and schematic understanding allowed the Huskers to blow both games wide open. However, some execution problems allowed those teams to hang around a bit.

I do think comparing the Wyoming and McNeese State games is valid. They were both 11 am game sandwiched in between openers and big games. The roster development, talent infusion, and schematic awareness allowed Nebraska to really break open the Wyoming game. The program wasn't there in 2014. Thank God for Ameer Abdullah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT