ADVERTISEMENT

Is our growth as a team obvious to everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like he got off screaming at people?

Talk about bodily functions...
18j56u4sn80q6jpg.jpg

Reactions: red rover 70
It's not two games, it's from late in 2015. The fact that you think bitching about unknowns makes the team any better than being an optimist, proves all I need to know.

I'm sure if you stay pessimistic enough, they'll notice and get better.
Wait, our discussion can somehow make the team better? Shit, Ive been doing this all wrong.

This threads over. There's obviously progression, and needs to be more.

Some would rather wait until Nebraskas 6th national championship to judge it though.
It would seem obvious that you can't judge how good a team is until it reaches its ceiling. The '97 team won all its games and we still don't know if they could have beaten Michigan. We still don't know just how good the '95 team was because they weren't really tested. Last year's team beat a top 5 team, can this year's? We certainly don't know after two games against weaklings, and probably won't know until they play OSU. What's wrong with sitting back and letting things play out before judging? At this point I'd say that if you put this year's team against last year's team, I'd probably give last year's the edge with better line play on both sides of the ball and a better power running game.

It would seem obvious that you can't judge how good a team is until it reaches its ceiling. The '97 team won all its games and we still don't know if they could have beaten Michigan. We still don't know just how good the '95 team was because they weren't really tested. Last year's team beat a top 5 team, can this year's? We certainly don't know after two games against weaklings, and probably won't know until they play OSU. What's wrong with sitting back and letting things play out before judging? At this point I'd say that if you put this year's team against last year's team, I'd probably give last year's the edge with better line play on both sides of the ball and a better power running game.
Id give the edge this year, but otherwise I agree.

Ho Lee Fuk!!!

@CheeseRunza
First of the 97 Huskers would of smashed Michigan's teeth in. The 95 Huskers were the greatest of all time. And this year's team would of beat last year's team because it's heart still belonged to Pelini. Well, until the Purdue game was over.

I think the ceiling might be higher on this year's team and I think this year's team is further along than last year's team at the same point in the season, but they have some work to do in the trenches.
The biggest thing for this team is continually improving, they are better than at this point last year. Of course it can fall apart, and there are some major things to fix. To this point though, they have some very improved areas, and are starting to carry the momentum they carried at the end of 2015(other than Iowa).

Actually rereading....are you saying we don't know how good the 95 & 97 teams were? I'd also say there's a difference between sitting back and enjoying the ride, or sitting back acting like everything sucks, and it won't matter if NU doesn't beat OSU.
I'm saying that sit back and enjoy the ride and don't jump to conclusions either way. We don't know how good this team is after playing to patsies. Maybe they are world beaters maybe not. I just used the 95 and 97 teams to illustrate that you can't evaluate what a team's actual ceiling is until it is reached and the ceiling may not have been reached in those years.

Reactions: SOHusker11
The biggest thing for this team is continually improving, they are better than at this point last year. Of course it can fall apart, and there are some major things to fix. To this point though, they have some very improved areas, and are starting to carry the momentum they carried at the end of 2015(other than Iowa).
I'd agree with that, and am looking forward to this Saturday and the rest of the season.

Somebody just got added to my Botard black book.
Name calling? Really? I assume you are in some way referring to Bo. Just to let you know, I was for firing Bo well before he was let go and in fact I was totally against hiring him in the first place. After his wife's FU SP gloves she wore and after his outburst at Bill Snyder, I didn't think we wanted any part of him.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Ok, somebody being mildly critical doesn't mean they're all Pelini...
Mildly critical??? If you as a Husker fan ask if Michigan could of beat the 97 team then either your a troll or a Botard. And then to top it off questioning the 95 team???? Again... HO LEE FUK!!!!

Name calling? Really? I assume you are in some way referring to Bo. Just to let you know, I was for firing Bo well before he was let go and in fact I was totally against hiring him in the first place. After his wife's FU SP gloves she wore and after his outburst at Bill Snyder, I didn't think we wanted any part of him.
OK troll.

Michigan barely beat a crap Washington State team led by Mr crybaby himself.

Nebraska beat the SEC champion lead by Mr Football. Wait a second... we didn't just beat them we humiliated them.

OK troll.
Reading comprehension problem? I think we could have beaten Michigan, but that is by no means proof. I wasn't questioning the '95 team, I was simply saying that they were never tested so we can't conclude just how good they really were relative to historical standards.

So you think this team as they are playing right now could beat last year's MSU team? UCLA?
Yes. Why not? Do you think we've regressed from last season? And if you say no that we couldn't have beaten last year's MSU team,(which seems pretty clear by the way you ask the question) you are comparing two teams at much different points in the season. Funny how you spend most of your post above saying how you need to sit back and let things play out before judging how good we are-and then proceed to judge how good we are.

Reading comprehension problem? I think we could have beaten Michigan, but that is by no means proof. I wasn't questioning the '95 team, I was simply saying that they were never tested so we can't conclude just how good they really were relative to historical standards.
My reading comprehension is spot on.

It's hard to truly measure progress when our competition so far has been 2 of the 3 worst teams in the Mountain West conference. Everyone expected us to win those 2 games handily.

Hopefully Riley will silence a lot of critics this weekend.

Yes. Why not? Do you think we've regressed from last season? And if you say no that we couldn't have beaten last year's MSU team,(which seems pretty clear by the way you ask the question) you are comparing two teams at much different points in the season. Funny how you spend most of your post above saying how you need to sit back and let things play out before judging how good we are-and then proceed to judge how good we are.
You are right I am judging. I guess I was just responding to the point that some on here felt it was wrong to use the OSU game as a measuring stick. I think that is the best way to find your ceiling, by playing one of the best. We can sit here and judge all we want but we really won't know until the games are played. That's all I was trying to say. and yes, I was comparing teams from different points of the season. The OP didn't specify his initial question. I wouldn't say we regressed as much as I would say we lost some key components from last year's team, and their replacements haven't reached the level of production of their predecessors quite yet (at least their level of production at the end of the season). And for that reason I'd say that the team this year at this point isn't quite at the level of how last year's team finished the season.

It's hard to truly measure progress when our competition so far has been 2 of the 3 worst teams in the Mountain West conference. Everyone expected us to win those 2 games handily.

Hopefully Riley will silence a lot of critics this weekend.

Hey Harry... where you been old buddy old pal?

You are right I am judging. I guess I was just responding to the point that some on here felt it was wrong to use the OSU game as a measuring stick. I think that is the best way to find your ceiling, by playing one of the best. We can sit here and judge all we want but we really won't know until the games are played. That's all I was trying to say. and yes, I was comparing teams from different points of the season. The OP didn't specify his initial question. I wouldn't say we regressed as much as I would say we lost some key components from last year's team, and their replacements haven't reached the level of production of their predecessors quite yet (at least their level of production at the end of the season). And for that reason I'd say that the team this year at this point isn't quite at the level of how last year's team finished the season.
Well, I wouldn't agree on an overall basis-I think this team is every bit as good as we were to end the season last year, but again it's kind of a bad comparison anyway to compare teams at two points in the season. I think we are much better at this point in the season than we were at the same point last season and will be much better at the end of this season than we were at the end of last season, which is the only comparison that really matters.

all speculation but thankfully this Saturday it is about to get real ... the question isn't whether or not there has been growth - we lost 7 games last year and only won a single divisional game - the question is has there been meaningful growth

a win will indicate a definite yes, a close game and the jury remains out, a definitive loss at home might indicate we are just a little less shitty than last year

This is Nebraska - you don't measure yourself against the likes of Fresno or Wyoming

Last edited:
Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Honestly, no. I think we've been the benefactor of a crappy schedule so far and when I watch us play I see a really average team that's average at best, at the most important position. Doesn't mean we can't get there, but I haven't seen the growth you're talking about, yet. Of course after last year I'm thrilled to be 2-0 and favored to beat Oregon, but I admit I have battered fan syndrome so I'm still not convinced about this team, yet. But before anyone thinks a negative thought about this post let me repeat, I'm happy we're 2-0, I think we have a great shot to beat Oregon and roll into Columbus undefeated, but I need to see better play out of the QB spot, and need to see us beat somebody with a pulse before I can get to excited and make the kind of proclamation you just did.
With ya brother; but we can't let the syndrome blind us to what R R is saying; because he is a fan and will bring up the other side also... You may suffer worst in the qb area thoughts, like I do. But TA is who he is; and the coaches have tried everything ; he is going to have those periods where he seems not to pay attention or follow directions - then periods that get him ranked the 3rd best in conference. I am guessing we are losing around half the progression and other options this offense can produce. But the qb situation dramatically improves next year, with multiple full service qb's in various stages of development. ... Oops : we are dramatically improving in various areas ; ALL LEVELS OF THE DEFENSE, for instance : TRUE BLACKSHIRTS AND TRADITION !!! are re-emerging. We really need to root these guys on.........
The o-line is rebuilding and will be so much better with increased depth - but they are already emerging. If your not happy with rb, I can't help - we will have some AA's there, but we are already good. TE's ; same as o-line, and we will build the depth. Other receivers; ahem, ask the PRO receivers on their visits here. qb's, ask a Manning how they think thats going to go, especially if they can't steal one of our coaches back. ( special teams; cough cough - we have talent ). .....
Parity and a lot of effort in CFB; but Go Big Red - we are building it, doubt many coaches nationally could add much to this groups efforts. Have to take that next step and be a
BLACKSHIRT FAN !!! In effort and cheer. GBR

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
all speculation but thankfully this Saturday it is about to get real ... the question isn't whether or not there has been growth - we lost 7 games last year and only won a single divisional game - the question is has there been meaningful growth

a win will indicate a definite yes, a close game and the jury remains out, a definitive loss at home would indicate perhaps we are just a little less shitty than last year

This is Nebraska - you don't measure yourself against the likes of Fresno or Wyoming

We did them the way we were supposed to. Fresno State and Wyoming got done the Nebraska Way.

Well, I wouldn't agree on an overall basis-I think this team is every bit as good as we were to end the season last year, but again it's kind of a bad comparison anyway to compare teams at two points in the season. I think we are much better at this point in the season than we were at the same point last season and will be much better at the end of this season than we were at the end of last season, which is the only comparison that really matters.
I would agree that it is a bad comparison, but the question posed by the OP didn't specify if he meant growth from last season, growth during this season, growth compared to the previous coaching staff, etc. I'll also agree with your last 2 points and I stated almost the exact same thing earlier in this thread. Let's hope for a good showing this weekend.

I would agree that it is a bad comparison, but the question posed by the OP didn't specify if he meant growth from last season, growth during this season, growth compared to the previous coaching staff, etc. I'll also agree with your last 2 points and I stated almost the exact same thing earlier in this thread. Let's hope for a good showing this weekend.
This is the second time you brought up my name as a way to deflect from your incompetence. If you can't figure out the pretty straight forward concept of my OP then maybe you shouldn't post. Maybe you're better suited for lurking.

***NEWSFLASH***
The growth of our team is obvious.

The only way it's not obvious is if you choose not to see it. And that's on you.

This is the second time you brought up my name as a way to deflect from your incompetence. If you can't figure out the pretty straight forward concept of my OP then maybe you shouldn't post. Maybe you're better suited for lurking.
Then apparently you didn't understand your own post. Why did you bring up games played 6 years ago, to illustrate growth from last year to this year?

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Then apparently you didn't understand your own post. Why did you bring up games played 6 years ago, to illustrate growth from last year to this year?

No, I was showing how incompetent of a coach Bo Pelini was. He was as stagnant of a coach as he was a person... zero growth.

Now thank God we have a coach who has some introspection of himself. And that will be worth tenfold down the road for the team and program.

Look, I routinely posted years ago back in the Austin360, ToughTony, HuskerCentral days. I had dependable inside sources and would share some information from time to time, etc. I quit posting when the new wave of posters like you started posting on these sites. Name calling, trolling, bullying, etc. Perhaps it is you that should stick to lurking since you can't have a discussion with anyone with a differing opinion without resorting to junior high antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT