ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mickey throwing the current players under the bus like Frost did......

Antwill

All-American
Dec 18, 2004
when he says the key to getting things turned around is recruiting better players?

Doesn't that say to the current players that they just aren't good enough?

Not saying he's wrong about needing better players, but it seems to me that he's doing the same thing Frost was rightly so heavily criticized for.

when he says the key to getting things turned around is recruiting better players?

Not saying he's wrong about needing better players, but it seems to me that he's doing the same thing Frost was rightly so heavily criticized for.
That's what half or more of the posters here do all the time. Every time we lose it's always because we need better recruiting (in other words implying the current players are "no good").

And the coaches aren't accountable because it takes years and years to improve the roster from the crappy roster they inherited. :)

Tongue Goat GIF

I guess if we are really grasping at straws to find something to criticize MJ for. I mean didn't Frost do this to his own players he recruited and we'll tried to develop of you call it that.

MJ has a very small percentage of players on the current roster he was actually responsible in getting to campus.

That's what half or more of the posters here do all the time. Every time we lose it's always because we need better recruiting (in other words implying the current players are "no good").

And the coaches aren't accountable because it takes years and years to improve the roster from the crappy roster they inherited. :)
They’ve just been Frosted for tooo long!

Honestly it would’ve been so much easier for Mickey to say that the current players are good enough and they just need to be developed better along with better recruiting. At the same time Mickey himself has admitted that he’s not comfortable doing press conferences even though he’s gotten somewhat better at them. So what he tells the media and what he tells his players might be two different things.

Reactions: EVERED

It's just not a good look. He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it.

But you go to war with army you have, not the one you wish you had a later time - Don Rumsfeld

We need better OL and DL players. Fix that and you fix a lot. Now with that said, defensively coaches have done a better job fitting schemes to the players that we have. Offensively not so much. That is a coaching situation that needs to be remedied. Point the thumb on that one.

I mean realistiaclly what do you want him to say....no matter what he says its hard to argue that we dont suck in every area. Players, coaches, admin...everything. I stopped listening to these press conferences once Frost went for 2 against Northwestern.

Reactions: Yantzeee
OL and DL need some help. Am I wrong, but every team in Big10 seems to have 6th year Seniors playing except Nebraska?

I honestly don’t think that was his intention but he could have stated things with a little more tact

Well it’s solved. Better players win games. Not coaching.
Unfortunately our recruiting has been at the top of the west.

I'm a fan of MJ but I gotta admit that comment made me cringe.

I'm going to cover my ears and tell myself he said it to motivate the players to prove him wrong.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I just did a little research. Everyone seems to have their favorite candidate to be the next head coach. I say there is no slam dunk. All come with flaws and baggage in their careers.

1. BOB
15-9 at PSU (Overcame a scandal)
52-48 NFL Texans (Fired in his 7th season. NFL so not apples to apples. Made the playoffs 4 times. 2 losses in the Wildcard. 2 losses in the Divisional)
0 bowls

2. Matt Rhule
28-23 Temple (4 seasons. Lost 10 games in the first season. Finished 10-4 and 10-3.)
19-20 Baylor (3 seasons. Lost 17 games his first 2 seasons. Finished his last season 11-3 then left for the NFL)
11-27 NFL Panthers (Fired in his 3rd season. No playoff appearances)
Overall 1-2 bowl record

3. Lance Leipold
109--6 Wisconsin Whitewater (8 seasons. Division III 6-1 in Div III Title games. Impressive)
37-30 Buffalo (6 seasons. 10-4 in his 4th season. MAC football)
KU 8-14 (2nd season. Major rebuild)
Overall 1-2 bowl record

Lane Kiffin
7-6 Tenn (Left after one season)
28-15 USC (3 complete seasons. Ineligible for bowls first two seasons. 10-2 best season. Fired by AD Pat Haden after 5 games in his 4th season)
26-13 FAU (3 seasons. 11-3 and 10-3 last two seasons.)
23-10 Ole Miss (This is his third season. 10-3 last year 8-2 this season)
Overall 2-3 bowl record

Huge Freeze
Lambuth 20-5 (2 seasons NAIA)
10-2 Ark State (Left for Ole Miss before the bowl game)
12-25 Ole Miss (Fired in his 5th season. This was harder for me to figure out because many games were vacated due to NCAA sanctions. 10-3 in 2015)
34-13 Liberty (4th season.)
Overall bowl record 6-1

Last edited:
Mickey has done everything he can with what he has and all he gets is criticism from all directions.
While this is a common sentiment on the board, I disagree and think he's done a pretty terrible job with the on-field stuff since he took over. Great recruiter, great communicator, maybe a good motivator (not sure) but the actual scheming and game prep has been below average, especially since CT went down. I know everyone hates McKeweon but I totally agree with his observations that the offense did nothing to try anything different and the QB situation was totally mismanaged. Not to mention the multiple observers that have said Nebraska's pregame routine was laughably unusual and bad on Saturday. People like Mickey, I get it. But it's not unreasonable to see what is actually going on and think there might be someone else who has a clue how to run a team.

Think you’re being overly sensitive on this one. He didn’t say every last one of these guys suck. Even the better players on the team know they need better re recruiting.

Now, he could be a little frustrated knowing he’s not getting the HC job and that is, at least, partly due to these players, that he didn’t recruit BTW, losing games.
I wouldn’t tear him down for the comment. He has taken blame for losing games. I think it’s fine.

Think you’re being overly sensitive on this one. He didn’t say every last one of these guys suck. Even the better players on the team know they need better re recruiting.

Now, he could be a little frustrated knowing he’s not getting the HC job and that is, at least, partly due to these players, that he didn’t recruit BTW, losing games.
I wouldn’t tear him down for the comment. He has taken blame for losing games. I think it’s fine.
I'm not sensitive at all. Heck, I'm hardly paying attention anymore.

I just pose the question because I was wondering if Mickey saying this is somehow different or he said it in a way that was more acceptable than when Frost did it.

Mickey has done everything he can with what he has and all he gets is criticism from all directions.
Why would any coach ever come here because nothing pleases the fan base
turns out getting blown out 3 times isn't that pleasurable.

Reactions: Sinomatic

This was my thought as well. The players know it. They just think Mickey is talking about someone else on the team, since he isn’t naming names.

A great number of players need to be thrown under the bus or wherever. Best just thrown out! Probably good guys but lack football talent and or speed.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
mickey is an offensive coach. offense has struggled the most and has shown very little is any improvement, not interested

Our recruiting classes under frost have consistently been ranked pretty good. The problem is after they get here. They either get injured, quit, or do not improve from their high school level.

Our recruiting classes under frost have consistently been ranked pretty good. The problem is after they get here. They either get injured, quit, or do not improve from their high school level.
Also in my opinion. Frost recruiting was way inconsistent. Throw out 300 offers and hope they stick. Whether the fit to scheme was there or not.

I think that a coach who didn't recruit the players has the latitude to be critical. If they were his players that he developed, then I can see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT