ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mickey throwing the current players under the bus like Frost did......

when he says the key to getting things turned around is recruiting better players?

Doesn't that say to the current players that they just aren't good enough?

Not saying he's wrong about needing better players, but it seems to me that he's doing the same thing Frost was rightly so heavily criticized for.
I think you could make that case, and not be wrong. It wasn't a good choice of words by Joseph.

Also in my opinion. Frost recruiting was way inconsistent. Throw out 300 offers and hope they stick. Whether the fit to scheme was there or not.
I remember when the cleti were up in arms about the high number of offers from the previous regime. Then Frost came in and literally said “hold my beer”. Not a peep from the knuckle dragging cleti, or the media.

Reactions: Walleye79
Mickey has done everything he can with what he has and all he gets is criticism from all directions.
Why would any coach ever come here because nothing pleases the fan base
Frost got 5 years plus a 15 million dollar golden parachute despite being terrible in Lincoln. No other Blueblood program in the country treats coaches better than Nebraska. Harsin wasn't any worse than frost and didnt get 2 full years

Reactions: dinglefritz
Our coaches are good for some laughs. Pull in high level recruits, don't develop them correctly, then say we need better recruits :p
Most of the players are not the mold of the B1G; Frost wanted players that fit his fun and gun offense, MJ wants to play B1G football. Not sure the defense was ever a high priority, there are some good players but not properly developed.

Reactions: dpnavy
MJ is right in the sense that we need better players, that in situations during games, certain players say, "give me the ball and get on my back I'll carry the team! We have players that work hard, want to win, but they don't have the physical ability to do it!

In my opinion, Pelini didn't recruit his last 2 years, and Riley's coaching soften the team further! Scott, came in fired up, and initially started in the right direction! Got a Qback, but his recruiting a really good running back and receivers, development of linemen caught up with the seasons! In spite of this recruiting, 2 or 3 difference players on each side of the offense and defense would have changed 5 wins 22 losses in 1 score games!

Last edited:
when he says the key to getting things turned around is recruiting better players?

Not saying he's wrong about needing better players, but it seems to me that he's doing the same thing Frost was rightly so heavily criticized for.
He doesn’t have to say a thing, the kids know it when they compete against better developed athletes, so my question is, do we have poor initial evaluations or is it about developing the athletes to get to the next level, when I I look at the NFL it’s obvious to me where the problem lies. Regardless to say we have a lot of work to be done throughout the whole sorry mess!

Reactions: dinglefritz

This issue was evident well before Mickey ever made these comments. Also given what Mickey has done for the team, do you honestly think the players would feel a certain type of way with him? Obviously not.

What he's highlighting for the press and/or the next HC is "If you want to make a turnaround and get results, recruiting is especially important, which Frost did not take seriously."

Reactions: BleedRed78
He doesn’t have to say a thing, the kids know it when they compete against better developed athletes, so my question is, do we have poor initial evaluations or is it about developing the athletes to get to the next level, when I I look at the NFL it’s obvious to me where the problem lies. Regardless to say we have a lot of work to be done throughout the whole sorry mess!
Well previous 2 coaches didn't believe in tackling in practice and Riley didn't believe in weight lifting so here we are

Don’t get mad at MJ for stating the obvious. 90% of the team are non contributors (and they aren’t all Freshman). They wouldn’t even make the roster at another school (certainly not anyone on our O-line).

Using both hands, you could probably only name 10 players that are true difference makers. MJ is correct. There needs to be better recruiting because most what’s here has no pulse for BIG-10 Football.

Don’t get mad at MJ for stating the obvious. 90% of the team are non contributors (and they aren’t all Freshman). They wouldn’t even make the roster at another school (certainly not anyone on our O-line).

Using both hands, you could probably only name 10 players that are true difference makers. MJ is correct. There needs to be better recruiting because most what’s here has no pulse for BIG-10 Football.
Who's mad?

The present roster needs to be judged by what kind of roster would punch above even in the league. A guy like Nelson would be a nice compliment to a better DE, but he ain't a defensive bell cow. Saw Hutmacher on the field Saturday. He doesn't look like a B1G player. The Oline play hasn't been B1G worthy since maybe Riley's second year. We know the coaching was subpar, but NU doesn't have good talent at the tackle psn. Sucks to finally have some decent RBs only to have a line that can't take advantage.
NU is a 3-5 win club until the roster is better coached, and then a 7-8 win club until the roster is improved.

When nobody holds the players’s feet to the fire to lift like Riley then you have to wonder about how important he thought it was. Riley believed in self motivation but that only works IMO if you have strong peer leadership in college programs.
This has been debunked by former players (even the 5 star heart local kids). They did different squats than what Frost wanted. That’s it. No need to lie and say they “weren’t lifting”. That’s a cleti myth and lie. Do you guys really think a Division 1 football team wasn’t using the weight room? How did Riley manage to get a 500 record if that’s true? Come on…. Let’s not be hysterical and try to be reasonable.

We do need better players. No it’s not wrong to say like it is.

I'm pretty sure even our Oline guys know they aren't getting it done so his statement can't be construed as throwing players under the bus. The play quality speaks for itself.

We do need better players. No it’s not wrong to say like it is.
It wasn't artful, though. He should have said something like, "As our players become more skilled and experienced, we should continue to build for the future with even stronger recruiting." That would have been much better. It seems like a little deal, but it can build up over time. That separates head coaches from assistants, I think.

Unbelievable the folks that chastise everything that he or other coaches do.
I wonder if folks like yourself do everything perfect and say everything perfect.
Yes he could have said a couple things different yet my goodness he has been absolutely a blessing to these kids in this horrible situation.
Look at the glass half full
The kids love him that should be enough
Just my opinion

Reactions: timnsun
It wasn't artful, though. He should have said something like, "As our players become more skilled and experienced, we should continue to build for the future with even stronger recruiting." That would have been much better. It seems like a little deal, but it can build up over time. That separates head coaches from assistants, I think.
I think that he has done a great job of getting these guys to take the field every week. Poor coaching the last four years and poor development has the program so far behind. I am sure Mickey is frustrated beyond belief. I pry wouldn’t talk about the players if was in the situation cause it’s obvious to a blind person that we need better players.

I like most of what MJ says when talking with the media. He’s very real and coaches don’t always have to sugar coat things. But I’m from a different era. In comparison, I don’t find him abrasive like Pelini.

Nowadays people get butthurt so easily. You have to be PC like a slick politician. You have to be careful not to offend They or Them.

The present roster needs to be judged by what kind of roster would punch above even in the league. A guy like Nelson would be a nice compliment to a better DE, but he ain't a defensive bell cow. Saw Hutmacher on the field Saturday. He doesn't look like a B1G player. The Oline play hasn't been B1G worthy since maybe Riley's second year. We know the coaching was subpar, but NU doesn't have good talent at the tackle psn. Sucks to finally have some decent RBs only to have a line that can't take advantage.
NU is a 3-5 win club until the roster is better coached, and then a 7-8 win club until the roster is improved.

Our current team is not a 7-8 win team with better coaching.

I mean didn't Frost do this to his own players he recruited
Yes. Problem is, he was doing it in year 5. And he seemed to think he and his staff weren't in charge of recruiting or something. Like the gods were just anointing recruits as Nebraska players and he had no sayso. And all he had to do is drink and burn bridges all around the state.

3-7 on the way to another 3-9, after last year's 3-9 pretty much says it all.

A losing culture is now embedded. We were but one season from 9 wins when Frost took over.

I like most of what MJ says when talking with the media. He’s very real and coaches don’t always have to sugar coat things. But I’m from a different era. In comparison, I don’t find him abrasive like Pelini.

Nowadays people get butthurt so easily. You have to be PC like a slick politician. You have to be careful not to offend They or Them.
I'm glad Mickey doesn't open his pressers with:

Good afternoon. I'm Mickey, he, him. I'll take questions now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT