ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Nebraska is a rivalry

It ain't right now. Period. Iowa fan wants it so badly, just like Missouri fan all those years too.
Tuco says that it's in it's infancy stages. Maybe, but it's a huge leap of faith to to extrapolate from here on out Wisconsin will cede the West to Iowa on an annual basis.
Iowa fan resents our program, it's history, etc. It's no different to me than Missouri fan getting all amped up over meaningless wins during the the last years in the Big Twelve.
One thing that has to change is Nebraska's culture, and I'm glad that Frost and Co are working on that. This game has meant more to the Iowa players the last few years and that has to change.
The fans, well, that all depends. It's cute for Sean Callahan to call this a rivalry and for some other media types but count me out. It will be whatever it will be I guess. But until these games mean something count me out.
Nebraska fans have kept Nebraska relevant all these years. Relevance is related to standards of excellence. The recent history between these two schools is irrelevant. What has it gotten either program? Iowa fan hates that but it's truth. Don't make it something it isn't. It ain't yet and probably won't be no matter how much Iowa fans are desperate for wins against our program. We are their measuring stick, even in our worst years. It's pathetic. Even Coach Ferentz mentioned it in his pep rally in Council Bluffs. It's a good year if you get a win over NU. What about the Ohio State win?! Iowa you make me smile...

I grew up in WDM and graduated from U of I in ’88. I have lived in Omaha since ’93. I have a lot of respect for UNL. I have never seen such dominate football as the teams TO put on the field in 94 & 95. Hell 93 and 97 also.

I am very happy UNL joined the B1G. Adding another Blue Blood is a good thing for the B1G.

Iowa has several rivalry games. The biggest in my mind is the battle for Floyd; Also WI, IL and even ISU. UNL is also a newer rivalry especially for those Hawkeyes that live in western Iowa and some in Nebraska. If we have a few years of 2 ranked teams playing each other; it will grow stronger.

A few items to think about:

Nebraska and Iowa have played each other 48 times (That is 1 more than Iowa has played MSU)
The first game was in 1891. There have been some long gaps.

Nebraska and Minnesota have played each other 58 times (MN leads the series 32 to 24 plus 2 ties)
That may explain why the B1G switched the final game of the year.

The original members of the conference that became the Big 8 were Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and Washington U (St. Louis).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Eight_Conference

It ain't right now. Period. Iowa fan wants it so badly, just like Missouri fan all those years too.
Tuco says that it's in it's infancy stages. Maybe, but it's a huge leap of faith to to extrapolate from here on out Wisconsin will cede the West to Iowa on an annual basis.
Iowa fan resents our program, it's history, etc. It's no different to me than Missouri fan getting all amped up over meaningless wins during the the last years in the Big Twelve.
One thing that has to change is Nebraska's culture, and I'm glad that Frost and Co are working on that. This game has meant more to the Iowa players the last few years and that has to change.
The fans, well, that all depends. It's cute for Sean Callahan to call this a rivalry and for some other media types but count me out. It will be whatever it will be I guess. But until these games mean something count me out.
Nebraska fans have kept Nebraska relevant all these years. Relevance is related to standards of excellence. The recent history between these two schools is irrelevant. What has it gotten either program? Iowa fan hates that but it's truth. Don't make it something it isn't. It ain't yet and probably won't be no matter how much Iowa fans are desperate for wins against our program. We are their measuring stick, even in our worst years. It's pathetic. Even Coach Ferentz mentioned it in his pep rally in Council Bluffs. It's a good year if you get a win over NU. What about the Ohio State win?! Iowa you make me smile...

I think Iowa probably values their Wisconsin rivalry or Minnesota rivalry just as much or more if you asked them. Their Wisconsin rivalry appears to be dead even, or close to. They talk down to ISU like we like to do to them, but all that leads to is more disappointment when you don't compete with them. I've always like to embrace each and every rivalry for what they are. The more you treat them as meh, the more your team will get embarrassed.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8

I believe you were not old enough and the fact that Nebraska had such a long winning streak against Missouri ( 1979- 2002) but Nebraska and Missouri were rivals in the Big 8 days and they even played for a Trophy which was a bell.

Reactions: Sinomatic
The fact that this board and Nebraska fan in general went apeshit, and called for the ADs job, after Iowa was removed from the last game and Black Friday tells you all you need to know.

In the minds of some, Nebraska has had only one rival, OU. That rivalry was born from playing for the Big8 title and thanksgiving weekend matchups.

Not all rivalries are born that way. But since Nebraska has really only had the one, the fan base thinks that In order for it to be a rivalry, it has to be between 2 team playing for something and the last game of the year.

I would say Colorado and KState and Iowa were/ are on their way to becoming rivals. But the switch in leagues derailed the first 2 and there simply isn’t enough history, yet, in the other.

Nebraska fan doesn’t want to embrace Iowa because they feel superior to Iowa, cool I get that. I think Iowa sucks too. Some think Penn St should be the rival, but their isn’t any real, established history there either. Some think it should be Wisconsin, but only because they are currently the king of the West. The thought is that if somehow Nebraska is challenging Wisconsin for the division title that a rivalry will be built. Maybe, but there is nothing else to build on like a shared border.

I’m not a fan of contrived rivalries, with bogus trophies, either. But the fact is, Nebraska is a few years away from establishing itself as a team with the ability to play for the West title year in and year out.

Iowa is the easiest to build as a rival. The proximity, the fans, the superiority/inferiority complex that permeates both fan bases. The “required” end of year time slot.

We just need the game to mean more in the future and it will get there. Iowa has had a bunch of longtime conference rivals that people on the eastern side of the state are more in to,...Wisky, Minn. Throw in an instate rival and we are maxed out with teams that hate us.

We just need the game to mean more in the future and it will get there. Iowa has had a bunch of longtime conference rivals that people on the eastern side of the state are more in to,...Wisky, Minn. Throw in an instate rival and we are maxed out with teams that hate us.
Iowa fan is pretty easy to hate on, always telling everyone they deserve more respect for past shared BT titles and an occasion top ten finish. There is one way we can relate to each other, think how you, Iowa fan, feel about ISU and realize that’s how we, Nebraska fans feel about Iowa, and before you respond with the usual nonsense, remember what board you’re on.

I think the fans want that Friday after Thanksgiving exposure. I'm not sure it has to be Iowa that we play though. It could easily be Wisconsin, and I'd probably prefer that matchup at the end of the season.
This. The fact that recently that game has been against Iowa means little. First it was OU, then CU. NU fans just like the Black Friday exposure

If my memory serves me correct and Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but NU and OU didn't always play on Black Friday at least once it was on thanksgiving day and on the Saturday day after Black Friday growing up was always NU OU and Michigan and Ohio state same weekend. Those were truly the greatest times of college football. You throw in UT and ATM Alabama and Aburn. Two are gone thanks to the big 12

Let’s not kid ourselves there are other factors to consider like other rivalries in the conference.

Minnesota and Wisconsin have the longest standing series in the country involving Power 5 conferences.

It makes sense that Nebraska and Iowa play at the end of the year.

I would also argue we have more history playing Minnesota than Wisconsin 58 games compared to 12 and Wisconsin and Iowa have a series of 91 games with Wisconsin leading 46-43-2.

The attraction to playing Wisconsin at the end of the year comes from Barry Alverez being a former Alum and player and we have only beaten them once since we joined the B1G.

Last edited:
If my memory serves me correct and Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but NU and OU didn't always play on Black Friday at least once it was on thanksgiving day and on the Saturday day after Black Friday growing up was always NU OU and Michigan and Ohio state same weekend. Those were truly the greatest times of college football. You throw in UT and ATM Alabama and Aburn. Two are gone thanks to the big 12

I can tell you Nebraska and Oklahoma played some games on Thanksgiving in the 1960’s not every year but I do remember 1965 and 1966.

KU & KSU were our rivals, even more was Mizzou...but from their viewpoint. We had no idea until they ripped down goalposts & stormed fields when they finally won. Someone posted a rivalry needs parity, someone else stated it needs time. It needs both. Right now we have parity, but with Frost here, its likely that Iowa becomes a small stepping stone year after year, and nowhere near the major obstacle OU was during those real rivalry days. UT will never be that against OU either. Sure they win a lot of the RRR games, but they rarely block OU from its real goals. I doubt Iowa will ever accomplish that either. Maybe as it was, but not with Frost here now. If he fails to bring back championship caliber football, they Iowa could be our rival. Can anyone really for a moment believe that's true? Iowa will be just another blur we pass regularly on black Fri. Only Wisky has the chance to keep up with Frost, Alvarez gave them some magic. Likely not enough.

Arrogant, maybe. Then again, what Frost did at UCF shows who he really is. Buckle up everyone. If he does again what he does, soon enough our rival will be across the conference, either OSU or PSU. A rivalry that NU will get is one that competes for real championships at the highest level. That's our DNA, regardless of the past 20. Found our coach.

Was the clamor for Iowa? Or was it disbelief that lowly Minnesota would be our end-of-year game. Would people have freaked out if Wisconsin was made our annual end-of-year game? I think most people would have been ok with that.

Of course, the real answer is that the BiG TeN will take OU and KU once the GOR is up and then Oklahoma can be our Black Friday game just like old times.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I think the biggest thing for western Iowan’s is that we waited so long to play. When Iowa was good, there would be arguments over who would win in the 2000’s. Iowa got good and Nebraska started to slide but Iowa got no respect amongst Husker fans. It was a dream come true to see Nebraska and Iowa play every year.

Losing to Nebraska in 2015 would have been the absolute worst. Moreso, losing to Nebraska than losing a perfect season. The West has been wrapped up but damn that game meant a lot. I hope that game continues to mean a lot in the future. I would love for it to be for the Big Ten West title a few times. Some hatred would really start to trickle through the fan bases.

But for now, we are all chasing Wisconsin.

KU & KSU were our rivals, even more was Mizzou...but from their viewpoint. We had no idea until they ripped down goalposts & stormed fields when they finally won. Someone posted a rivalry needs parity, someone else stated it needs time. It needs both. Right now we have parity, but with Frost here, its likely that Iowa becomes a small stepping stone year after year, and nowhere near the major obstacle OU was during those real rivalry days. UT will never be that against OU either. Sure they win a lot of the RRR games, but they rarely block OU from its real goals. I doubt Iowa will ever accomplish that either. Maybe as it was, but not with Frost here now. If he fails to bring back championship caliber football, they Iowa could be our rival. Can anyone really for a moment believe that's true? Iowa will be just another blur we pass regularly on black Fri. Only Wisky has the chance to keep up with Frost, Alvarez gave them some magic. Likely not enough.

Arrogant, maybe. Then again, what Frost did at UCF shows who he really is. Buckle up everyone. If he does again what he does, soon enough our rival will be across the conference, either OSU or PSU. A rivalry that NU will get is one that competes for real championships at the highest level. That's our DNA, regardless of the past 20. Found our coach.

Yep, a real-deal Devaney/TO clone. LOVE IT!

My definition of "rivalry" means that you care about the game significantly more than you care about any other game on the schedule. For years, that was Oklahoma. If you remove any of the emotion from it, it made sense because if we beat Oklahoma we had a very good chance of going to the Orange Bowl. If we lost, we were likely not going to the Orange Bowl. Most of the other games were gimmies assuming we were having a "good" season. The Oklahoma game defined our season. We knew almost as much about their team - who they beat, who they had close games with, who was injured - as we knew about ours.

For other teams, national championships and bowl games are less likely. A 7-5 season might be considered a good season. For an Iowa State, beating an Iowa might define their season because overall records are less important.

Beating Iowa does not define our season. Bo Pelini was fired shortly after beating Iowa. I haven't followed Iowa any more than any other team in the Big 10. This season, I'd rather beat Wisconsin, Michigan, or Ohio State, and lose to Iowa, than the reverse. If others would prioritize Iowa above winning against one of those teams, congrats, Iowa is a rival. For me, they are just another team on the schedule.

My definition of "rivalry" means that you care about the game significantly more than you care about any other game on the schedule. For years, that was Oklahoma. If you remove any of the emotion from it, it made sense because if we beat Oklahoma we had a very good chance of going to the Orange Bowl. If we lost, we were likely not going to the Orange Bowl. Most of the other games were gimmies assuming we were having a "good" season. The Oklahoma game defined our season. We knew almost as much about their team - who they beat, who they had close games with, who was injured - as we knew about ours.

For other teams, national championships and bowl games are less likely. A 7-5 season might be considered a good season. For an Iowa State, beating an Iowa might define their season because overall records are less important.

Beating Iowa does not define our season. Bo Pelini was fired shortly after beating Iowa. I haven't followed Iowa any more than any other team in the Big 10. This season, I'd rather beat Wisconsin, Michigan, or Ohio State, and lose to Iowa, than the reverse. If others would prioritize Iowa above winning against one of those teams, congrats, Iowa is a rival. For me, they are just another team on the schedule.
I agree with your sentiment, for me the difference is the Iowa fan base. IMO, the Iowa fan base is a special kind of horrible. Let me explain, tOSU, Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska are bluebloods and their fans behave accordingly, that behavior is annoying to some, but it’s hard to argue with history. Michigan State and Wisconsin have been relevant for the better part of 10 years and have each won outright B1G titles and their fans behave accordingly. Iowa is the best team of the next tier, but have nothing nationally significant to show for it and their fans behave like Iowa is in that first or second tier.
Iowa has had recent success against Nebraska and has the head to head bragging rights and if it stopped there with Iowa fan, it is what it is, but it doesn’t. A vast majority of message board Iowa fans are just complete idiots when it comes to college football.

Reactions: BobDiaco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT