ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Nebraska is a rivalry

PlutoDroid

Walk On
Aug 16, 2015
Why do neither side want to fully embrace it?

Frank Solich would have been Kirk Ferentz had he not been fired.

Iowa and it's fans know what their program is and half clamor for change while the other half are fine with the status quo.

Nebraska and it's fans have experienced glory, it is a ways off now but they still can't accept the middling results. That is why half of it's fans want to return to it's base, a hard hitting defense and a strong running game. Frank Solich and Kirk Ferentz coach that way.

Iowa and Nebraska are close in every way, low populace farm states. The game is moving back to Black Friday and it will be a rivalry game.

Who does Nebraska want in that slot that is a feasible option? Oklahoma chose Texas, Colorado is in the Pac 12 with Utah. Everyone else has a dance partner outside of Penn State or Michigan State who the B1G is pushing together.

I know Nebraska considers themselves above Iowa in every way, historically they are a blue blood and Iowa is not, but the B1G has like 3 other blue bloods and they are all tied up. Ohio State/Michigan, Penn State is being paired with Michigan State.

You want Wisconsin? They have a longstanding rivalry with Minnesota, they aren't a blue blood either though.

Unless Oklahoma joins the B1G soon, Iowa is your best bet. It's not a bad setup, the bad feelings are already there, Iowa is not Oklahoma sure, they aren't Kansas or Indiana either.

Until Oklahoma joins the B1G West it's going to be Iowa vs Nebraska. Let's just admit it's not such a bad matchup.

Iowa, like Colorado, is a team many Nebraskans dislike. They hate when they lose to Iowa and enjoy beating them, more than say a team like Purdue, Maryland, etc.. Whether that qualifies as a "rivalry" isn't important to me.

I enjoy playing a team with a little heightened dislike on the day after Thanksgiving.

Fact is, NEBRASKA traditionalist take the TO stance when Buffalo coach McCartney declared the Cornhuskers Colorado's rival. TO said Nebraska didn't have a rival. Now that CU is no longer played, husker fans arogue they would rather play a rival like we no longer play like CU or OU. Fact is OU chose Texas as it's rival in the Big 12 and Nebraska is left without a dance partner. As soon as some of us old farts die off, new rivals will be established by the next generation and it will be determined by their memories which do not include CU or OU. So Iowa could be a possibility. Heck I live in Iowa and I hate them! (Nebraska native)

Nebraska vs Oklahoma was a rivalry; even Nebraska vs Colorado or K-State at some time. Nebraska v Iowa is meh.

Iowa and it's fans know what their program is and half clamor for change while the other half are fine with the status quo.

Nebraska and it's fans have experienced glory, it is a ways off now but they still can't accept the middling results. That is why half of it's fans want to return to it's base, a hard hitting defense and a strong running game. Frank Solich and Kirk Ferentz coach that way.

Iowa and Nebraska are close in every way, low populace farm states. The game is moving back to Black Friday and it will be a rivalry game.

Who does Nebraska want in that slot that is a feasible option? Oklahoma chose Texas, Colorado is in the Pac 12 with Utah. Everyone else has a dance partner outside of Penn State or Michigan State who the B1G is pushing together.

I know Nebraska considers themselves above Iowa in every way, historically they are a blue blood and Iowa is not, but the B1G has like 3 other blue bloods and they are all tied up. Ohio State/Michigan, Penn State is being paired with Michigan State.

You want Wisconsin? They have a longstanding rivalry with Minnesota, they aren't a blue blood either though.

Unless Oklahoma joins the B1G soon, Iowa is your best bet. It's not a bad setup, the bad feelings are already there, Iowa is not Oklahoma sure, they aren't Kansas or Indiana either.

Until Oklahoma joins the B1G West it's going to be Iowa vs Nebraska. Let's just admit it's not such a bad matchup.
Look up the word "contrived" in the dictionary, that might help you.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Whether we like it or not, Iowa is our rival now. Just look at how half the posts on here nowadays involve Iowa. Half of Iowa's board has always been about Nebraska. Sorry to break it to you guys, but Oklahoma is long gone and never coming back. Just because they were our rival when you were growing up doesn't mean they are our rivals now or that new rivalries can't be formed.

For me growing up, Colorado was our rival and having the game the day after Thanksgiving brings with it a lot of family memories. I have family in Colorado and my grandpa was a Oklahoma fan and always sided against Nebraska and gave us grief during those Colorado games. Colorado has always meant more to me as a rivalry than Oklahoma ever did.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta

Good thoughts. I think Iowa Nebraska game will grow to be a very good rivalry - especially if both teams would elevate themselves to be annual conference champion contenders.

I agree with Mack, there has to be some meaningful games, something on the line, and for me, on the line when both teams are relevant in a national way not just in conference.

That's the reason OU was such a good foe for that moniker, but TO was right we had no rival even in OU, and the way I see it we have no rival other than who is up next.

And this doesn't bother me one bit.

GO BIG RED!!!

Reactions: gw2kpro
Typically a rivalry forms when teams play meaningful games. Not games that mean you’re going to have 5 wins instead of 4 or 6 losses instead of 5

Sounds like you’re describing the Kansas/ Missouri rivalry..

Rivalries are about disliking they other or neighboring states that work amongst them selves, plenty of times it has nothing to do with winning a bunch of games between the two but that would add to the fire and hatred.

Reactions: Red I 73
When it comes down to it, ALL conference games are pretty much rivalry games, some take on a life of their own and get to be big in the national scope of things, others are talked about, or, not thought much of by most college football fans. On a national scale from 1-10, Nebraska-iowa would probably be thought of by most fans as a 1 or 2.

Last edited:
True rivalries require a couple things in my opinion: Parity, Proximity & History.

Penn State and Nebraska have played meaningful games but I would not call them a rivalry because of proximity and history.

Iowa and Nebraska have parity (at least since joining the Big10) and proximity but no history.

When Michigan started playing Notre Dame in the late 70's I never would have considered them a rival as they had no parity or history but I now think otherwise.

There are exceptions of course Notre Dame and USC come to mind but generally all rivals meet those criteria.

Not sure Purdue & Indiana have ever played a "meaningful" game but I would wager their fans consider it a rivalry.

They certainly possess all 3 requirements to make it so, "meaningful" is for the rest of us not for them.

I think in time that Iowa and Nebraska will become a rivalry in every sense of the word if they meet the requirements.

Go Blue!

Whether we like it or not, Iowa is our rival now. Just look at how half the posts on here nowadays involve Iowa. Half of Iowa's board has always been about Nebraska. Sorry to break it to you guys, but Oklahoma is long gone and never coming back. Just because they were our rival when you were growing up doesn't mean they are our rivals now or that new rivalries can't be formed.

For me growing up, Colorado was our rival and having the game the day after Thanksgiving brings with it a lot of family memories. I have family in Colorado and my grandpa was a Oklahoma fan and always sided against Nebraska and gave us grief during those Colorado games. Colorado has always meant more to me as a rivalry than Oklahoma ever did.

Half the posts on here now involve iowa? Maybe you should look up what half really means. I don't see it. The only rivalry I have (as a lifelong fan an alumnus) is the next team up. I don't like any team except NU, but that doesn't make them a rival. The only rivals I know of were the name of the garage band of guys in my high school who used to play at our dances.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8

These teams dont compete for hardware on a regular basis. Hell, Iowa is way more relevant as far as being competitive. Real rivalries revolve around hardware . NU last had a real accomplishment in 99.... Iowa 02 or so. This is a tallest midget contest (Iowa is the taller midget today).

Rivalries can come and go, depending on how good teams are as programs at any given period of time.

Currently, Iowa is a bit of a rival insofar as we both suck, are from neighboring states, in the same conference division, and play each other every year at the end of the regular season.

But my hope is that in the very near future we won't suck anymore and Iowa becomes just another speed bump on our schedule.

On the other hand, if Iowa and Nebraska both become elite teams, I would welcome the rivalry status of the game.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Rivalries are not always based on both teams winning a lot of games or both teams playing each other in games that matter. That is why they say things like “you can throw out the records when these two teams play”.

A rival is nothing more than a team you hate, want to beat more than anything and the talk about that other team goes on year around.

When Florida and Georgia are both down, it’s still a rivalry. USC/ ND, Michigan/ tOSU, Pittsburgh/West Virginia and Alabama/ Tennessee. All examples of rivalries that involve teams from different states that have maintained a rivalry when both teams haven’t always been great.

It also doesn’t have to be an even series, OU/OSU in bedlam, OU dominates that series. Now that rivalry was born from wrestling, but it has grown across all sports and Bedlam is a pretty big deal in Oklahoma.

Iowa/Nebraska rivalry is at it’s infancy.

Yeah, I hear ya. Especially considering how Iowa destroyed Ohio State & how humiliated we were to both them.

It's soooooo nice to be heading out of the bottom of the bucket.

Rivalries are not always based on both teams winning a lot of games or both teams playing each other in games that matter. That is why they say things like “you can throw out the records when these two teams play”.

A rival is nothing more than a team you hate, want to beat more than anything and the talk about that other team goes on year around.

When Florida and Georgia are both down, it’s still a rivalry. USC/ ND, Michigan/ tOSU, Pittsburgh/West Virginia and Alabama/ Tennessee. All examples of rivalries that involve teams from different states that have maintained a rivalry when both teams haven’t always been great.

It also doesn’t have to be an even series, OU/OSU in bedlam, OU dominates that series. Now that rivalry was born from wrestling, but it has grown across all sports and Bedlam is a pretty big deal in Oklahoma.

Iowa/Nebraska rivalry is at it’s infancy.
a rivalry involves respect. I have no respect for Iowa.

Reactions: SOHusker11
a rivalry involves respect. I have no respect for Iowa.
I can understand saying "I don't like Iowa." Heck, I don't either. I hate their ugly colors and their boring style and their lack of any meaningful tradition. But why do you say you have no respect for them at all? I don't get that. I respect them like I respect Fair to Good, off and on, hot and cold, programs like Virginia Tech or West Virginia or UCLA.

Reactions: Baxter48
I can understand saying "I don't like Iowa." Heck, I don't either. I hate their ugly colors and their boring style and their lack of any meaningful tradition. But why do you say you have no respect for them at all? I don't get that. I respect them like I respect Fair to Good, off and on, hot and cold, programs like Virginia Tech or West Virginia or UCLA.
perennially average team with an over rated head coach. Meh. Plus, they're Iowa and Iowa sucks.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
If a "rivalry" is sponsored by HyVee with some stupid corporate rivalry trophy, its not a rivalry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT